Whitney Houston, died at age 48

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Whitney Houston, died at age 48

Post by steyn »

Here's the CNN link.

Well, that came as of a bit of a surprise.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Re: Whitney Houston, died at age 48

Post by Elwing »

That's just sad, and it was a long time coming it seems, but it's still a surprise. I was no fan of her (more the opposite) but she was sort of always there in the background trough the 80's and 90's, and she brought many people joy. If only she could have found a little bit more joy herself.
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Few things.

1) I'm not a big Whiney Huston fan, though I'm fully aware of her influence in music and R&B culture, so I feel the pain and loss for that genre speciically. It's a serious blow. Not even 2 days ago they were talking how she was going to join the hosts of the talent-seeking, competition show, "THE X-FACTOR". Strange. This was clearly sudden/abrupt.

2) This was strange Apparently Twitter broke the story nearly 30 mins before the actual press got a hold of it. I saw it on Twitter first.

3) My friend was sort of heartless and though I love him to death he made me laugh in that 'oooh, too soon' sort of way. He said
"Wait,... she was alive still?" And he brings up a good point. Between the drugs, Bobby Brown, and the absent career for the last (nearly) decade, it's a shame she's gone but wow. She was probably just about to make a comeback.

I've discovered a formula for celebrity deaths. Does't always stick, but sometimes it works. I find that the first person to die is either incredibly tragic, random, death for someone relevant or incredibly random, tragic death for someone who is striving to stay relevant. The second death (they're always in three's people but Billy Mayes throws the fourth in for FREE), is almost always someone who has been out of the limelight but just starting to make their climb back. (That would be the unfortunate loss of Ms. Huston in this case), and the third is someone who is either retired or removed from what made them famous, but still so well known that they're nearly a house hold name.

I have made my predictions:

Paul Reubens (Pee Wee Herman), Mickey Rooney (actor), or Shigeru Miyamoto, (creator of famous Nintendo characters and brilliant game developer for those who don't know.)
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Mickey Rooney, lol. I really did think he was dead already like three years ago.

I wouldn't say I was a fan, but I liked her songs better than Mariah Carey, who I generally lovingly call "that squeaky bitch." And, gotta say, loved "The Bodyguard" back in the day.

Apparently autopsy results are now in, according to Fox News. Sounds like maybe she drowned in the bathtub. It is a shame, but yeah... she was a hot mess.