AZ Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Shot At Public Event

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Early news reports began to flood in (most of them via Twitter because of how public the shooting was) and a lot of them were saying right off the bat that 12-13 people were shot/killed.

No one (at this time,2:15PM EST) has a solid number, but of those poor victims randomly shot, Gabriele Giffords, An American Congresswoman for Arizona & wife to an Astronaut, was one of them. Unfortunately, though CNN and MSNBC have not started stating this yet (and are holding onto hope), NPR & Huffington Post have both reported that she is in fact dead.

She and presumably other victims (such as her staffer who was also shot) were air-lifted out of the Safeway plaza.

Here are the respective stories:

NPR

Huffington Post

CNN

Prayers/Thoughts to her, her loved ones, and the other respective victims.
:/

[[edited:]]

This is fucked up. She is officially dead. Reports are that the shooter was calling out those whom he was shooting. It's clear this is a targeted attack now, it's political obviously, and unfortunately, it's being related to the Tea Party (unofficially).

Here is a flashback for you:

Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Gifford's door smashed

[[EDITED AGAIN!!]]

HOORAH! It is confirmed she is in fact in EMERGENCY SURGERY and the report of her death was too soon! While the sadness still resides that the other 6 are dead, it's a relief to know the main target is still alive.
News Conference in the next hour from the Hospital, I won't be on so if someone else wants to post it, go for it.

[Edited on 8/1/11 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Update 1: Sourced statement she's still alive, from a hospital spokeswoman: Reuters

Update 2: Here are some updates.

Things that have been confirmed:

Eighteen people were shot, and at least five people are dead. Among the dead are Arizona district court judge John McCarthy Roll and a nine-year-old girl, who died at the hospital. The shooter was a 22-year old white male named Jared Lee Loughner. Loughner was firing a pistol with an extended magazine and has had at least one run-in with the police as an adult.

Giffords was responsive before and after surgery. The head of the trauma unit at the University Medical Center stated that they are "as optimistic as they can be at this point" that she will fully recover.

According to the Tucson Citizen, "Police arrest man near Thornydale and Magee Roads who is suspected of being connected to the shooting of Giffords and others. A third man is being sought." President Obama has put Director Mueller of the FBI on a plane to Arizona; the FBI will oversee the investigation as a member of Congress was a victim.

[Edited on 1/8/11 by HoodedMan]
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Just found out about this and watched Obama's statement. Jeez. Of course there's no official word on motivation yet, but I'm sure most people have a few in mind. And maybe if those suppositions turn out to be correct, this tragedy will do something to wake people up that political bickering taken to this extreme is unacceptable.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Indeed. I think it's perfectly clear (especially for those who have watched his YouTube paranoia-fests) that this guy was disturbed, and responsibility for his actions lies in no one but himself (possibly not even himself). But I do think that this does draw attention to the level of political discourse in our country.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

The political discourse in this country is repugnant. We feel it's okay to use metaphors of violence and forget how public it is when we speak now. This is a ruthless time we live in with a ruthless internet that publicizes everything we do/say. Everyone can go on the internet and become/act a professional now. Everyone's right, and everyone is wrong.

So naturally, it's sort of spooky when this happens 'cause it's really just a built up collective of ignorance. If you ask me Palin's comment ‎"Get on target for victory in November. Help remove Gabrielle Giffords from office. Take back the 20. Reload." is repulsive. They use gun references and hunting and wildlife references and it makes me sick.

Even the sheriff of Pima County, Clarence Dupnik, said; "We have become the mecca for prejudice and bigotry." (In reference to Arizona as a whole.)
It's messed up, but thankfully the good news. She's alive and it's amazing. She's fighting for her life, but she's still alive.

Unfortunately a federal judge and a 9 year old girl are among those who lost their lives today. :(
Blame him, blame the system, blame the politics, it's still messed up.

Here's a little taste of what this shooter, Jared Lee Loughner, is like.

This kid had problems...

[Edited on 9/1/11 by Ult_Sm86]
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

Just saw this on the news, its terrible, I feel for the family of that poor little girl and the families of those who died.
I can only imagine what the people of Arizona are going through, including the family of the shooter, must be horrible to know that your kid/sibling/partner/whatever did something like that.

On another note though... is it just me or should anyone wanting a gun be required to pass some sort of mandatory psychological evaluation? Possibly excluding those who need a weapon for work like a farmer or something... Just to prevent tragedies like this from happening?
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Unfortunately, thanks to political opportunists on both sides, I feel the level of political discourse has only worsened as a result of this- with people focusing on how wrong the other side is (whatever it may be), how much more of a shining example of truth and civility their side is (when it isn't really any better), and on how this atrocity can otherwise be exploited to further their agendas.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Blue_Collar_Nerd
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Blue_Collar_Nerd »

[rquote=33705241&tid=13972&author=kladyelf]On another note though... is it just me or should anyone wanting a gun be required to pass some sort of mandatory psychological evaluation? Possibly excluding those who need a weapon for work like a farmer or something... Just to prevent tragedies like this from happening?
[/rquote]

Wikipedia article on the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS)

I agree the mental health issue needs to be adressed, but performing a psychological evaluation for each person? In a nation with over 80 million gun owners? And who defines what is psychological healthy? The APA? The Justice Department? Congress? It’s problematic to say the least.

The backlogs of Class III purchases alone are overwhelming the NFA offices of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. It took about four months before the paperwork for my .22 suppressor to came back. My short-barreled AR15 took about half a year. There's no way you are going to place that level of bureaucracy on normal Title I weapons such as handguns and rifles without pissing off a whole lot of people.

That's especially true in a country where gun ownership is generally considered to be a right and a part of life. My parents are life-long Democrats and don't like guns. They own three.

I would argue that the best way to handle this is not as a political matter but as a public health matter and try to educate people about mental illness. There is still a stigma attached to people seeking psychological help and it's causing a lot of people to ignore the warning signs in themselves and others. And in extreme cases like Jared Lee Loughner you have to remember that what is in their head is not real, they do not know it, and they do things that no one else but themselves will understand. This would be a more proactive manner to help prevent tragedies in the future.

[Edited on 9/1/11 by Blue_Collar_Nerd]

[Edited on 9/1/11 by Blue_Collar_Nerd]
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

It really is a terrible tragedy made all the more terrible by the circumstances. It's true that political discourse in this country has reached a level where it is almost non-functional, but to use the actions of someone who is very arguably insane to fuel that fire is even worse. I don't really have much more than that. It's a sad thing.
kladyelf wrote: On another note though... is it just me or should anyone wanting a gun be required to pass some sort of mandatory psychological evaluation?
It depends on the state you get your permit in. I own a handgun (surprising I know, but I enjoy target shooting) and in the state where I live now (New York) I had to take a class, submit to background checks, was fingerprinted by the FBI, submitted 3 references, and had to meet with detectives at my local police precinct for evaluation. Obviously I passed all these tests.

For the record: My gun is stored disassembled in a safe. The bullets and magazines are separate. It will never be pointed it at a person (I don't even like targets that are person shaped) nor will it be used to do anything nonsensical or crazy like "defend" my house. I take it to the range to shoot holes in pieces of paper and then take it home. I'm clearly a responsible handgun owner and probably represent the majority of the type of people who legally obtain them. Unfortunately, the minority are potentially dangerous and not everyone bothers to obtain a gun legally. :(

As it is with everything that people use to hurt themselves or each other (guns, politics, drugs, religion, etc ...) it's not the thing itself that is the problem, but how a person uses it.

-e
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Early Signs of Poor Mental Health for Congresswoman's shooter, Jared Lee Loughner.