Kind words for fanfiction from a published author

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Mercedes Lackey, in the first pep talk for NaNoWriMo 2010 talks about how fanfiction can be a wonderful school for learning to write. She also speaks well of RPGs.

Finally. I assume she's a famous writer, so I am glad to hear a "successful" person not speak disparagingly about fanfic. Writing my stupid Crawlerfic has not only contributed to many enjoyable and relaxing hours, but has taught me a lot about plotting, description, dialogue, and character development. I also credit it with taking me up to 65 wpm as a typist. :D

Get cracking, ficcers!
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

....Mercedes Lackey? LMFAO.

She's mostly known as a fantasy writer. A good 20 years ago, back when fanzines were still, y'know, on paper, and I was a dippy teenage nerd, I belonged to her fan club. She used to make you sign and return a WAIVER before allowing you to fic in her universe. She was notorious for hating ficcers and complaining that they infringed upon her copywritten universe.

Side note -- looking back today at her books, she's a fairly crappy Mary Sueish writer, unless she's improved.

[Edited on 5-11-2010 by Slarti]