toy Story 3

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
BAMFCentralII
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

toy Story 3

Post by BAMFCentralII »

K taking my kiddos to see this on the weekend

Anyone seen this yet? is it as good as the second one? I've been hearing good things about this, but avoiding the trailers and spoilers so that i can enjoy the movie.
Trigger
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

toy Story 3

Post by Trigger »

It's AMAZING!!! Way better than the second one. I had to force myself not to cry on several occasions.

I was so pleased with how well they did it. It blew every expectation out of the water.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

toy Story 3

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

toy Story 3

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Went to the midnight premiere. I agree with the holding back tears notion... It got 4 out of 4 stars from USA Today. Amazingly well done. SEE THIS MOVIE!
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
JackSkulls
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Nightscrawlearth Character: :maverick :shaman

toy Story 3

Post by JackSkulls »

I Wanna see it soooo bad!!!!
:maverick (weapon-x) :shaman (alpha Fight)
BAMFCentralII
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

toy Story 3

Post by BAMFCentralII »

??? i didn't see that blue trailer... interesting.

um I liked the 2nd more than the 3rd :)

Not to say it wasn't a good movie it was, and where they have come in terms of rendering and animation is just insane. Good story, liked the plot. Enjoyed the close of the storyline at the end. And wow agreed insane moments to render tears... So i think my expectations where like waaaay to high. Will rent when it comes out, now that i've seen it a second viewing will help me to determine if it's an own or not.

Took my 2 and 4 year old to see it. The final dramatic scene kinda scared the 2 year old. poor girl. Asked them later if the liked it. 4 year old: i Loved it daddy. 2 year old: noooooo (said in a very soft whispery voice)
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

toy Story 3

Post by steyn »

So...what were you expecting then?
BAMFCentralII
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

toy Story 3

Post by BAMFCentralII »

I think a more light hearted romp. Granted there were some sombre moments to dark in the prior to films. This one just def felt darker.

However, that said, the darkness of the film that eventually leads to the very bright final ending does work.

Think i was just expecting funny, bright happy more than there was.

So like i say i'm not dissin the movie when you look at it from story to animation etc, great movie. But a purely fun romp it is not.

Course i liked Repo Men and that was horrible dark and sad, but as i was kinda expecting that i loved the payoff at the end of the movie, and even chuckled to myself when ppl were complaining about the morbid ending as we exited theatre.

[Edited on 21/6/10 by BAMFCentralII]
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

toy Story 3

Post by steyn »

Hahaha, morbid ending? Really? One can only wonder what those people would have wanted for the toys. ((edit: took out a bit of my post because I realized it's a bit on the spoiler side.))

And I agree that the story had a slight dark plot to it, but it works. I can't imagine Pixar making a purple dino kind of movie when they're aiming to garner as much ticket buyers as possible. When you make a movie, you try to please as many people as possible, and by the looks of the theatre seats when I watched it, there were way more teen/adult viewers than toddlers.

And here's a fun fact I heard from my mom and turned out to be true, the chatter telephone toy, Lifer, was voiced by a South African DJ, Jeremy Mansfield, in the SA theatre and DVD release. I wonder if they did the same with other countries, using different voice talent for Lifer.

[Edited on 22/6/2010 by steyn]
BAMFCentralII
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

toy Story 3

Post by BAMFCentralII »

Lol no the moribid ending i was refering to was in Repo Men

Toy story had a happy ending, minus the massage parlor...

And not uncommon for different regions to get different voice talent.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

toy Story 3

Post by steyn »

Ohhhh!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

toy Story 3

Post by Angelique »

Saw it and absolutely loved it.

I laughed. I cried. I didn't mind a bit when a toddler next to me shrieked in terror because at the same time, my own heart pounded in my throat. And yes, at one particularly triumphant moment in the film, I joined in the cheering.

My instructions for watching this film are as follows:

Laugh.
Cry.
Gasp in fear and suspense.
CHEER!
Dab eyes and laugh a little more.

Repeat.

I will definitely want to watch this again.

[Edited on 22/6/2010 by Angelique]
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

toy Story 3

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I <3'd this film, I would see it over again ten more times.

I am, in fact, going again next tuesday. Imax. Digital 3D. O YEH.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

toy Story 3

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

This is how I felt afterwards.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

toy Story 3

Post by Garble »

It was great, and I loved it but I don't know that it lived up to my unreasonably high expectations.

The first movie established all these great characters and introduced us to the mythology of this world.
The second movie expanded on this world. But the third one actually contracts this world.

It's full of stuff we've seen before. In the first movie the threat/villain was a destructive kid, and in the second movie it was a jaded toy that had been warped by his experiences with humans and thus turned into a bully. The third one combined the two. You've got a swarm of kids that destroy toys, and Lotso was similar enough to The Prospector that they could have used him instead. (He even had an ever-present wooden accessory that he uses as a weapon)

The plot also addresses abandonment issues that had already been dealt with in the previous films.

The thing that makes it stick out is how much darker this film is. At the very beginning we see nearly all the toys have vanished. And the happy ending that the toys are aiming for is getting put in storage, which was Jessie's worst fear in the previous film.

I enjoyed it but I feel weird about it.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

toy Story 3

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

My assessment is simply that it did what the first one always wanted to but couldn't.

[[ may contain minor spoilers ]]

^
^^
^^^
^^^^
^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^ <-- Look it's 1/2 a christmas tree!
H
H

The 3-D was worth it and tangible, the CGI was realistic while still being joyful and child like.
The story was well thought out, dense, and filled to the brim with character development (such as the Jesse/Buzz romance picking up).

The Woody/Andy relationship was solidated. I really feel I get why Andy loved Woody now, he calls him patient. Wise. A good reliable friend. Basically what a boy needs from his father, how much you wanna bet Woody was his dad's toy from when he was a kid?

Also, I really enjoyed the easter eggs, the transition between new homes, the time the storytellers took to make sure everyones base is covered and every character who appeared in the series gets at the very least a nod (Sid), and at the very most a final moment to see where/how they end up. (The whole "Andy Gang").

I also liked that it kept the the Team Woddy vs Team Buzz relationship going. They're clearly good friends but still in competition for affection over the group, without even knowing it.

The idea of friendship, reliability, compassion, and so many other good traits and values being present in the story is more than you can ask for in a good kids movie and the fact that they did it all without drilling it in your head like some other cheesy films (*cough*SHREK*cough*) I think deserves an applause.

The film is much darker, but I feel it ends on the highest note when held into the light of the previous two films.
I feel that they somehow found a way to make complicated, conflicted characters (and villains mind you) out of the toys and make them still genuinely pleasing to want to play with for very young children.

The virtues and messages, the imagery and color, and the character voice acting all combined together make this easily one of Pixar's top 3. I think "Toy Story 3" is a land mark achievment for them to be able to continually use characters like this and wrap up in such a well deserved, well laid out story.
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

toy Story 3

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

Possible light spoilers below... you have been warned!

>
>
>
>
>
>

I loved it! I agree with the above -- it was a surprisingly dark movie. What I like about this is that the same kinds of themes are explored again and again (does anyone EVER believe what Woody says the first time around?). I nearly cried the first time I saw this movie - at several points I just couldn't see a way out for them.

While it was very dark, I think they did enough "funny" to keep it lighthearted enough that it was hilarious.

Just one thing made this movie perfect for me and that was Spanish Mode.

Also, "Hay Un Amigo En Mi" is a great song. ;)
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

toy Story 3

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

"C'mon El Buzzo!" :smirk
Mistress_D
Lubber
Lubber

toy Story 3

Post by Mistress_D »

I haven't seen this, but I saw "The Last Airbender" and "Despicable Me". As an aspiring artist and movie fan, I recommend both! Unfortunately, I think I'll wait for Toy Story on DVD, 3D movies have sucked up my money!

BTW, Ult_Sm86, love the avatar! I'm a huge Zoidberg fan! :)
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

toy Story 3

Post by Rowena »

Hello from Italy!

I just saw this movie tonight, in a little movie theater in a small, out of the way corner of Orvieto, and it was AWESOME!!! Even though the whole thing was dubbed in Italian (the Spanish bits had Italian subtitles!) I was able to catch most of it and the story came through loud and clear. It was genuinely exciting and touching and I can't wait to see it again in English! :D It's been a long, long time since I came out of a movie theater feeling this happy. Toy Story 3 e` un flim meraviglioso!

Ciao!
~Rowena

:offtopic
Just had to stick in a quick reminder before the Internet time I had to pay for gets all used up. :P The deadline for the Spring/Summer Writing Contest is August 14 and we only have a handful of entries so far, so if you're interested why not give it a shot and get a chance to win a handmade (by me) Bamf or Nightcrawler doll? :D

:bamf
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

toy Story 3

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Okay, don't anyone read this comic if you haven't seen the movie.

BIG SHPOILERS!!
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

toy Story 3

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

Lol love your comic. :)
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
angel_in_blue
Lubber
Lubber

toy Story 3

Post by angel_in_blue »

Toy Story 3 PWNED!!! It was awesome, amazing...:D just sooo many words to describe this movie. It was terrifying at points in the movie. I've gotta say...a big of my hat to Pixar! They worked sooo hard on this movie. There was just so much story to love! I cannot be more satisfied with this movie than I am now. But, if they happen to make a fourth one it had better top this one! :gir