Doctor Who Discussion

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Doctor Who Discussion

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So if you haven't heard of BBC's Doctor Who before, I hope you're comfortable under that rock.

For any of you who have seen Doctor Who or wanted to see it, this thread is for you!

The show has been around since approximately 1967, it holds the record for being the longest running, on-going, Science Fiction show of all time, and if it weren't for News shows it would probably be the logest running program of all time.

There is always the Doctor, who regenerates (we're on Incarnation 11 now) so they can always change up the actors. BBC and the Who-Crew are very attentive to fans and you'll see that as the show develops.

Examples of this are the changing of the Doctor's assistants (companions, comrades, etc).
More discussion of this as time goes on...

SO! Have a favorite Doctor Who moment? Discuss! Have a favorite companion? Talk about her (Him? There's only like 3 hims).
Want to talk about K-9!? This is SO the place to do it.

However;
anything relating to the 2005 series that is still running now is to be considered spoiler, and you should have spoiler alerts for everything relating to it.

Remember,
anywhere in the universe, anywhere in time. Where would you like to go first??
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Cyntosis
Lubber
Lubber

Doctor Who Discussion

Post by Cyntosis »

I caught some random episodes of the previous two doctors, but only this season I decided to sit down and really pay attention to the series. I feel like I'm missing a lot, but I'm enjoying the ride anyway. I might look up some "must watch" episodes from before the reboot later on.

On a side note: I had a university lecture on Doctor Who and Judge Dredd once. Really interesting, too bad I didn't get that question at the exam later.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Doctor Who Discussion

Post by Elfdame »

Not much of a Whovian anymore, but when my bf intro'd me to it back in the day, it was great fun. Loved Sara Jane and K-9. Would marry either of them (er, in a different universe perhaps). Or Jamie. Gotta love a guy who shows his legs.

And who remembers the Usurians! HAHAHAHA. Loved it, almost Bradbury-esque social commentary.

You may all bow and kiss my feet because I own a picture disc (ask your grannies about THAT 1980's fad) of the Dr. Who theme music, with photo being of first 5 Docs and Tardis (such as the one pictured here, meaning it's not very rare). Woot.

Daleks -- please. Salt cellars with a world domination complex. Did anyone really understand WHY they were so feared???? Lamest villains ever. Somebody do explain to me why they scared earthlings spitless, because I do NOT see the point in being afraid of something which I could run over with a Dodge Ram truck, or take out with proper ordnance. Really. Puh-leez.

Spoiler comments:

{theme music plays while we skip down, tralala}

{is this far enough for spoiler comments?}

Loved Sara Jane even in the modern one.

Not sure if I disliked Tennant or the way he was written; haven't seen any since his first season but thought Eccleston was what Peter Davison's should have been. I *adore* Davison but felt his tenure didn't quite hit the mark. Too scatterbrained, maybe? Tho there were some intriguing episodes: Castrovalva and The Black Orchid, for example.

I miss the hokey special effects. To me, that was part of the fun. One had to use one's imagination.

Always thought cybermen were dumb, but the new edition explained the horror of becoming one of them. Sounds so Cold War, but here it was in the 21st century. Although the recurring theme of the new ones seemed to be that one must not bend to the status quo but stand apart from the crowd, not (another 80's metaphor, more or less) drink the Kool-Aid.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Doctor Who Discussion

Post by Rowena »

I think the Daleks are scary. There's a lot of really scary ideas attached to them: mechanized total war, genetic engineering, eugenics, genocidal racism. And I think they must have been much scarier originally, in the 1960s, because the World Wars were still pretty fresh in cultural memory and the Cold War was at its height. And while, yes, the Daleks do sort of look like upside-down garbage cans with a whisk and a plunger glued on, to me the Daleks look kind of like a one-man German tank:

But inside there's a genetically engineered blobby, tentacley Nazi-minded Dr. Strangelove killer monster, which almost makes it worse.

And that's why I'm scared of Daleks. :)

:bamf
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Doctor Who Discussion

Post by Elfdame »

It's okay, Ro, I'll protect you. I'll sit on them and blubber-smother them to death. :D

PS - one of my favourite quotes--no time to look up refs, sorry-- is one with The Buccaneer and people kept in stasis in it. One person says to a Companion "I've never met an ephemeral like you before." LMFAO!! Almost Douglas Adams-ville, y'know?

[Edited on 17/5/10 by Elfdame]
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Doctor Who Discussion

Post by Jeremus »

I've always loved Dr. Who (Tom Baker was my favorite) but our PBS channel quit carrying it right after Colin Baker became the Doctor and I never kept up with it until recently. I watched the season with Chris Eccleston and then he changed and I watched a few of those and then they quit carrying it again. I haven't been keeping up. Who's the Doctor now?

(My dad bought me an almost complete series of Dr Who books back in the 80's. He would watch the tv show with me. My mom thought we were both scewed up to watch all that "stupid space stuff" :D)

I would definitely like to have the TARDIS though. That's the best space/interdimensional/time machine ever.

[Edited on 01/19/09 by Jeremus]
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Doctor Who Discussion

Post by Rowena »

Thanks Elfdame. :D I actually brought a Dalek (toy) to class with me when I was talking about the lasting psychological effects the World Wars had on Europe. Lots of those lingering fears ended up in the post-war popular culture--particularly in Cold War-era Sci-Fi movies and TV shows, Doctor Who most definitely included.

[WARNING: SERIOUS SPOILER AHEAD!!!] Matt Smith is the Doctor now (Doctor 11!) and I'm really not sure what I think of him yet. I started out very hopeful and excited to see what Steven Moffat would make of the series, (IMHO he was one of Doctor Who's best writers. Ol' RTD was all hokey melodrama and poor Doctor Ten, who had such fantastic potential at the start, ended up a sad, depressing victim of poor writing--it's like they just didn't know how to make him grow on his own without Rose, which was so sad. OK, so Ten liked company, but Four traveled without a companion (except for K-9) for who knows how long and he didn't become a dangerous mopey megalomaniac nut. I felt bad but by the end of the Specials, after Ten had turned into an actual monster ('Waters of Mars', which was probably the best of the bunch), I was almost glad to see him go just so the Doctor could leave behind all that angsty emotional baggage and move on). Unfortunately, as this new series has progressed I've been growing steadily more ambivalent, especially with the last episode, 'Amy's Choice', which my friends and I found to be a deep disappointment. It had the potential for true sci-fi awesomeness, but it ended up being all pseudo-angst unresolved false-love-triangle blah and it really didn't have the feel of an actual Doctor Who episode. I am still holding out hope that Eleven will grow some real character soon, though. [END SERIOUS SPOILER]

In order, my favorite Doctors are 4, 7, 3, 9, 1, 2, 8 and 10. I despise Six. He was the most Time Lord-y of all the Doctors, but he unlike any other Doctor killed with his bare hands--he actually snapped someone's neck and just kept going! Then he killed someone by holding cyanide-soaked cotton to his face! I think that happened in 'The Two Doctors' but I'd need to check. But Six wasn't just a murderer, he was also a petty, arrogant snot who took all the fun out of watching the show. I like many of 5's episodes (especially Castrovalva--I adore that episode!--and Mawdryn Undead (two Brigadiers!)) but aside from his celery, Doctor Five never really held my interest. I like it best when the Doctor is a chess master, seemingly odd and on a different wavelength, but actually so on the ball he's eight steps ahead of any bad guy. 4 and 7 really captured that aspect best, I think, and 9 had that occasionally. My favorite episode of the new series is 'The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances'. My favorite episode of the Classic series is probably 'Logopolis/Castrovalva'.

I love Doctor Who. I love its history, its continuity, its originality, its endless potential. I love that its age and influence on popular culture makes it a genuine, relevant piece of history in itself. I love that the Doctor fights with his brain, not a gun. I love that Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide) was involved with the show. :love I love, love, love the TARDIS and I need one. For my PhD thesis I'm going to be investigating the concept of time in history and how people's perceptions of time and space have changed and a TARDIS would be so perfect for that. ;) I even love Classic Who's campy special effects because back then the show's creators had to rely on the imagination and creativity of their fans to participate in the fun and fill in the gaps and today's cool special effects don't leave those gaps.

I've written a bunch of Doctor Who fics. Not as many as my Nightcrawler fics, but quite a few. If you're interested you can check them out on my FF.Net page. Doctor Who's my absolute favorite show of all time...right after Star Trek. Yay Spock! :D

:bamf

[Edited on 18/5/2010 by Rowena]
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Doctor Who Discussion

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

AAAHHHH!

The Season Six trailer is finally released to America and HOLY CRAP it looks AMAZING!!!

Here's the extended trailer in HD from BBCAmerica and lemme tell ya... April 23rd is gonna be SPIFFY.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Doctor Who Discussion

Post by Angelique »

I only wish we got BBC America. As it stands, we wait by the mail for the Netflix DVD's to arrive, and when they do, our house turns into Dr. Whoville.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven