Oil Spills -- Uh-Oh!

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Oil Spills -- Uh-Oh!

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

The Gulf Oil Spill has set new precedence in terms of how awful these things really are.

Two oil spills in in one month with potentially dire results is more than enough to send a message to the oil seekers and leaders of the world that something needs to change.
But what? And how?

.... What do you think?

[Edited on 29/4/10 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Oil Spills -- Uh-Oh!

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

60 Minutes Interview with the survivor and "tell-all" man of the Oil Rig that blew up and has caused what could easily be the biggest catastrophe in the Gulf since .... well ever.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Oil Spills -- Uh-Oh!

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Many oil spills are caused because of some flaw in equipment, transport or human error. Oil companies need to tighten down on employee protocol, run more drill so that employees know how to do things more efficiently, make sure that tankers transporting crude carry the same amount of caution as the rigs, make sure that the tankers are in top condition, make sure that there are complete checks on rig equipment, and things should improve.

I don't know what the lifestyle is like working on tankers, but my father works on an Oil rig off of the California coast and it is NOT an easy job. Many of the longshoremen are kept on call 24/7 which need to be changed so that they can get decent rest so they can work to their full ability; there are many dangers and complicated aspects to working on a rig. I can tell you horror stories about what happens on an Oil rig. I understand that oil spills are bad for the environment, and they cause a lot of damage. We need to tighten up on regulations and safety for drilling and transport to avoid spills or explosions from happening. But I also want people to realize the risks that these people take on a daily basis to acquire the crude that is manufactured and used in nearly every plastic product we use as well as fuel we use to drive with. I'm not saying anyone here is being insensitive or pointing fingers, but this is a general statement I give when people talk of oil. I'm bothered by news headline that try to shut down offshore drilling not because I have family who works there (because lord knows the man is too old and overworked and we want him home) but because so many people seem to forget where everything they use comes from, where its used, and how big of an impact it has on not only our country, but the world.

I sincerely wish there was a better way to prevent oil spills, and I know there is room to improve. I ache because of the planet's dependency on oil, and I ache for the environment as well. Hopefully things will change for the better in the future.

Condolences to the lives lost, its something I have to think about daily and I'm thankful it hasn't been something I have had to live through yet or hopefully ever.
one name: Bruce Campbell
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Oil Spills -- Uh-Oh!

Post by Elwing »

This guy seems to know how stuff. let's hope he is not right: http://rense.com/general90/analy.htm
the article is from before Top Kill by the way.

There's also Rush Limbaugh being moronic, but you can hardly call that news.
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
BAMFCentralII
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Oil Spills -- Uh-Oh!

Post by BAMFCentralII »

k while not directly related to this here is something to make you think, and laugh if your a John Stewart Fan. It is oil related but not about cleanup.

Obama's recent address about moving away from dependency on foreign oil... was he the first to say this? How many tried this before him?

http://www.theoildrum.com/ -- little down the page post with video in it The Cost of Energy Independence
Posted by Robert Rapier on June 21, 2010 - 10:28am

Idea behind this post is that there are measures / safe gaurds out there, created by many generations. So why aren't they being used?????