New Kid on the Block

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Gaoshang Xiongshou
Lubber
Lubber

New Kid on the Block

Post by Gaoshang Xiongshou »

I found myself looking for a Nightcrawler costume to buy this morning (at least to see if there was one available at any time anywhere), and a link led me here... and this is just great. I am a huge Nightcrawler fan. In fact, he is my favorite above all the X-Men. And I just cannot believe that there is a forum dedicated to just him. So needless to say, I had to join.

My first introduction to Nightcrawler was back in 10th or 11th grade, so around 1992-1993. I went into an arcade after school, and saw the six player X-Men arcade upright game. I watched the attract mode gameplay, and saw Nightcrawler pounce on one of the downed Sentinels. Too damned cool... I wanted to do that, so I dropped in some quarters, selected Nightcrawler, and went to work. That was it... that day, I was hooked.

Later, I discovered a new comic book store upstairs in that mall. Well... you know what happened next. Until that comic book store closed down about a year and a half later, it was Nightcrawler and comic books, all of the time. Now, granted, compared to a lot of you, I am a casual fan, and not a die-hard, so you will have to forgive me for this and I hope you can still accept me in this community... but seriously, ever since that day in the arcade, I have been stuck on Nightcrawler. Having seen more of him in the comics, having read up about him, and having seen what they did with him in X-2, Nightcrawler is the man in my book.

So anyway, about me... 34-year-old male, Shaolin martial artist and soon-to-be competitive bodybuilder. I am a mod on two bodybuilding boards (one has not gone live yet), and hope to one day be Nightcrawler for Halloween... that is, if I am not too big yet!! But by the end of the year, I should be around 270 lbs, so... maybe just a bit too big :LOL I do a little illustration (I say a little because I have not done any in SO long, but am getting back into it) and definitely some writing. I understand that there is a fan fiction forum here? I could definitely be inclined to contribute... but being that I am not familiar with the main canons for Nightcrawler, you would have to expect the writings to take a bit of a different but still pleasing and acceptable slant.

Well, anyway, that is me in a not-so-small nutshell. Feel free to say 'Hi'. I do not bite unless you are a woman and you ask me to :D

Oh, and by the way... I know I just got here, and I know trust has to be built... but at some point, if anyone would like the X-Men arcade soundtrack, I have it and can burn a copy for you. Give me a P.O. Box address (I would never ask or expect anyone to furnish a home address), and I will gladly send it.

[Edited on 19/3/10 by Gaoshang Xiongshou]
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

New Kid on the Block

Post by Slarti »

Hey, welcome! Yes, we do indeed have a fanfic/fanart forum and it's always fantastic to meet a new fan!

Heehee, with that build, maybe consider Colossus instead of Nighty? I know, I know, but sounds like it might be a good fit, da?
Gaoshang Xiongshou
Lubber
Lubber

New Kid on the Block

Colossus could work too. Dieted down for the stage, I should be around 240-245lbs, so it could be a good fit at a stage ready state, or even at 4-6 weeks out from that condition. I know a lot of guys have done Kratos, Lion-O, and a few Dragonball characters before. I just want to get in on the fun at least once. Yun (Street Fighter III) would also be a good fit for me, for obvious reasons, even with my size (currently at 222lbs., but I am growing :D).

[Edited on 19/3/10 by Gaoshang Xiongshou]
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

New Kid on the Block

Post by Elfdame »

Welcome! One of the joys of fanfic is not being bound to the canon characters (of course, IMO Marvel writers/editors don't feel exactly bound to any kind of consistent canon either). So take your favourite comics and base "your" Nighty on them. There is a new Challengenow, and I hope you will consider entering it ... it's a fun way to spark creativity, and if you win you might get a super-cool custom banner for your sig line.

[Edited on 19/3/10 by Elfdame]
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Gaoshang Xiongshou
Lubber
Lubber

New Kid on the Block

Elfdame wrote:Welcome! One of the joys of fanfic is not being bound to the canon characters (of course, IMO Marvel writers/editors don't feel exactly bound to any kind of consistent canon either). So take your favourite comics and base "your" Nighty on them. There is a new Challengenow, and I hope you will consider entering it ... it's a fun way to spark creativity, and if you win you might get a super-cool custom banner for your sig line.

[Edited on 19/3/10 by Elfdame]

Thank you! I look forward to it. All of what I have been writing over the past year (with the exception of a gym business plan) has been either bodybuilding lifestyle or martial arts related... so it will be nice to take a break for something else... not that I do not enjoy the other things, because that is who I am. I promise not to get too carried away with it!

I figure I will leave this here for anyone who wants it if you do not already have it:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/ ... mation.gif
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

New Kid on the Block

Post by neling4 »

Welcome Gaoshang Xiongshou!

I look forward to reading your fan-fiction.
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Gaoshang Xiongshou
Lubber
Lubber

New Kid on the Block

neling4 wrote:Welcome Gaoshang Xiongshou!

I look forward to reading your fan-fiction.
Writing will start tonight! Since I have so many different sources to pick from, it looks like it will blend influences of the comics, movies, AND video games, as well as some completely original thoughts. This gives me much more to play with.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

New Kid on the Block

Post by Elwing »

Hi Gaoshang! It's great to meet you. Welcome, and if you're into that kind of thing, we also have a chat!
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator
Title: SCP-3068
Nightscrawlearth Character: :selene :mayhem :icarus :warren :sabretooth

New Kid on the Block

Post by Scumfish »

Welcome! No worries about not being a 'die-hard' fan - if I'm honest, I didn't actually know much about any X-Men until I joined. And I'm not a Nighty fan - I'm the token Sabretooth fan :D It's awesome to have you, everyone on here is seriously friendly and fan-fiction, fan art, anything of that nature is not only welcome, it's actively encouraged :) I think someone's already linked the challenge - I take part in it occasionally, and I have very little background canon knowledge xD

But yes. Good to see you here!
Those who know, don't say; those who don't, say too much.

Aodhfionn 'Fianna' MacDuibh's Character Blog (for Nightscrawler's RPG)

My (NSFW) Art/General Blog || My Trans Blog || My (SFW-ish) Art
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

New Kid on the Block

Post by Angelique »

Scummy's being modest, neglecting to mention that he won the last challenge.

Anyway, welcome. It's good to have another ficcer here, and I think it'll be fun to talk martial arts with you. I trained for several years in Aikido and fencing, but recently took interest in MMA, and I figure there isn't a single martial art I wouldn't be willing to try.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Gaoshang Xiongshou
Lubber
Lubber

New Kid on the Block

Angelique wrote:Scummy's being modest, neglecting to mention that he won the last challenge.

Anyway, welcome. It's good to have another ficcer here, and I think it'll be fun to talk martial arts with you. I trained for several years in Aikido and fencing, but recently took interest in MMA, and I figure there isn't a single martial art I wouldn't be willing to try.

Anytime you want to talk martial arts, I am more than happy to oblige :)

My martial background:

Length of study: 20+ years. I am ever the student just as much as the teacher. I have taught several classes before (most recently, a Muay Chaiya class for close to a year), and I currently train a MMA fighter on the local circuit.

Core martial art: Traditional Shaolin wushu, with emphasis on:
  • Wuxingquan - Five Animals Fist
  • Tonglongquan - Praying Mantis, Seven Star system
  • Wing Chun
  • Zuiquan - Drunken Fist
  • Wudang Neijia Arts - Xingyiquan, Wu Style Taijiquan, Baguazhang
Secondary influential/supplemental arts:
  • Western Boxing
  • Muay Chaiya
  • Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (VERY light)
  • Catch Wrestling
  • Shootfighting
  • Jeet Kune Do - concepts influece the most heavily.
  • Kali - mostly influences sword techniques
Other influences/principles, light to heavy influence, but not a main influence:
  • Hung Gar
  • Tongbeiquan - White Ape Fist
  • Ying Jao Pai - Eagle Claw
  • Capoeira
  • Taekwondo
Use of most original 18 weapons of Shaolin; most proficiency with the staff. Some double weapon proficiency. Prior Kenjutsu and Iaijutsu knowledge, greater on the side of Kenjutsu. Also proficient with bo, nunchaku, kama, manriki-gusari, kusari-gama, and bo shuriken. Can use tekagi-shuko for both offensive fighting techniques and standard utility use. Fair amount of proficiency with naginata and yari.

How it came to be:

I have been training since 1985. My first experience in the martial arts was with Togakure-ryu Ninjutsu in the sixth grade. A few months later, I started the study of traditional Taekwondo (no ITF or ATF or any sport variation). Soon after, the ninjutsu instructor moved, and I stayed with Taekwondo for a few years. Eventually, my Quan Jah Nim returned to his home in Seoul for a year, and when he returned, he had revamped his curriculum, and made it more appealing for the American market. He went commercial, and the Taekwondo was from that point on a hybrid system based on Taekwondo, with strong influences of Shotokan Karate in the early ranks and Shaolin wushu at the later ranks. Still, I stayed, but in the ninth grade, I started training with another classmate... two actually... in Praying Mantis and Wing Chun. With the other classmate, he let me into the world weaponry. After that class year was over, I lost touch with both of them, but I stayed with the Chinese arts, as I gravitated toward them and showed a greater strength there.

So through the years, I have been able to have time to train in arts such as Shaolinquan, Baguazhang, Wu Style Taijiquan, Zuiquan, Xingyiquan, and Choy Li Fut, just to name a few. While attending Tennessee State University for a semester, I studied Muay Thai, and then upon returning home after that, I trained in Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do, along with Shootfighting in preparation for the UFC. I never went though, and do not regret that decision. Because Memphis was a city full of commercial sport Taekwondo dojangs and watered down Karate dojos that insisted on churning out high ranking students (black belts) for profit, studying anything else was pretty hard. But I was fortunate to always either find people who did not teach in this manner, or they found me. When these opportunites arose, I studied whatever I could for however long that I could. Most all people left Memphis for various reasons, and at some point, so did I. I am one to study anything, or at least anything that interests me, and dissect, reconstruct, and synthesize for my use as I see fit.

[Edited on 20/3/10 by Gaoshang Xiongshou]
Gaoshang Xiongshou
Lubber
Lubber

New Kid on the Block

So I have decided how I want to approach the writing.

I can work on a few different things while I work on the really serious and heavily involved stuff... something light and humorous is always good, which I can and will produce frequently. Look for that to start maybe as early as tomorrow.

Do you all have a problem with crossovers here (Daredevil or Batman, for example)? The more I have to play with, the more fun I (and I hope you all) can have.

And also, regarding the heavily involved pieces... is there a problem with it coming in the form of chapters, which can be posted and left for discussion, or would you prefer it to be posted in a completed form? Let me know... I am completely flexible. Wherever I go, whatever I do... I always try to bring something new to it.

Lastly, if I write something that anyone wants to reference in their writings, please do! I would actually feel very accomplished if something I write, someone else can play off of it or make a connection or parallel to with their writing.

Okay... input is welcome and appreciated starting... NOW :D

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

New Kid on the Block

Post by Angelique »

When I wrote fic, I posted my longer stories in chapters. It makes posting stories, reading stories, and getting feedback easier, in my opinion. And I daresay, most of us like crossovers. I'd done a couple myself.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

New Kid on the Block

Post by Elfdame »

I agree with the chapters. Back in October, I went kinda wild and overdid it for the Challenge and wrote a HUGE story. Even in chapters, it was long. But it was fun to put together a lot of the pieces which had been floating around in the chaotic ocean of my subconscious for the last couple of years. So no-one will barbeque you alive if you put up a huge story, and putting it up piecemeal is, as you noted, good for comment and discussion.

And oh yeah I have no problem stealing from other people, when given permission. I am definitely more the "light and humorous" type person, extremely old-fashioned, so I may not steal from you, but it's always nice to be invited. :D

This is gonna be fun ....
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

New Kid on the Block

Post by Rowena »

Hi, and Welcome to Nightscrawlers! :wave

Yeah, you're certainly welcome to enter the writing contests!!! And chapter stories are just fine, the more complex the better. I've written fanfiction stories over 80,000 words long, and I'm actually working on a chapter story right now that I'm posting here in the Fuzzy Visions & Three-Toed Tales forum: forumdisplay.php?fid=4 Also, please feel free to browse through the stories in our Complete Nightcrawler Fiction section: forumdisplay.php?fid=78 We have a lot of great writers here, and a lot of their work has been archived on this site. :D It'd be great to count you among them!

~Rowena Zahnrei
:bamf
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei