If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Here's the trailer to "Avatar" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1_JBMrrYw8

My Dad really wants to see it and since it looks like a planet of Nightcrawlers running around, I think I might enjoy it.

Any thoughts?
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

I have to admit I'm quite excited for this film. Waiting for it makes me feel almost like a kid again, when I was looking forward to the release of Jurrasic Park. I've yet to be let down by a James Cameron movie, and I'm impressed by the sheer passion he pours into each of his projects.

The teaser trailer is quite outdated, though. There has been a lot more footage released recently, which gives a much better impression of the film. Most of it has been collected on this site: http://www.crazycritics.com/page/avatar-featurettes
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Cool featurettes!
I could watch those all day!

Now I've learned from watching the featurettes that there's a new language I'm going to have to learn....Na'vi.

I really hope this movie's good.

[Edited on 01/19/09 by Jeremus]
sovietxzion
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat
Title: Boy Cereal

Post by sovietxzion »

I've been waiting for this for a while since he first announced he was doing Avatar! :D

I think it has the chance to be incredible and blow away all of us, since it's supposed to be breaking ground in photo-realism and Three dimension. can you tell im hyped up for it?!!! James and Sigourney working together again! :love
"Itchy, Rusty, Wretched, my ARSE!"- Jetfire

"I'm not gonna stick it in freja and make her see god, i leave that to the Pros... AKA freak"

"If sex is evil, I comitted a whole lot of evil last night."
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

Humans invade an alien planet, goes to war with the locals, then puts a human spy within the locals, who then sees how peaceful the aliens are and then decides to help them fight the humans. In case you're wondering, I was giving the summary of a book that Piers Anthony wrote back in the early 80's called Viscous Circle.

Mind you, I'd still like to watch the movie for the visuals. And Sigourney Weaver.

[Edited on 8/12/2009 by steyn]
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Delgo

is all I gotta say.

That list is sort of hack compared to the list of alarming similarities I've seen for myself based on the two trailers alone.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Starfish »

Well, story-wise, you can't get much more classical than a hero captured by his enemy, being adopted into their society, learning their ways, and eventually coming to share their views. It's a very basic plot that has been done many times before, mostly because it makes for a compelling and potentially powerful story.

None of Cameron's films won any awards for their original plots, and yet all of them can be enjoyed again and again. The reason for this is that it doesn't matter so much what story you tell, but how you tell it. People will always rewatch films like Aliens, LotR, and Star Wars, despite their very simple and well-used plots. On the other hand, a film like Memento doesn't really offer much for repeat viewings, despite its excellent original story.

Besides, Cameron stated that Avatar's story was inspired by all the Sci-Fi books he read in his youth. As for the Delgo comparison... Avatar's script was copyrighted in 1994 and subsequently circulated on the Internet.

Anyway, actually just wanted to post this neat new TV spot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU2RKtN3Qd0

I'm not looking forward to Avatar because it promises a deep, clever storyline (it doesn't), but for the technological innovation and the sense of wonder it promises, much like Jurrasic Park did back when I was a kid. I wasn't expecting a complex, thought-provoking story from that either, just dinosaurs coming to life in a breathtaking way.
Kieron Gillen
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Delgo was also in circulation for a long time being its creator died and it sort of floated around for a long while. Notice the voice cast, and title character, is played by Freddie Prinze Jr., y'know that guy from 2001 who disappeared?
LOL

I'm not saying I won't go see it, but I'm disappointed in Cameron. I was really disappointed with Titanic so this is just sort of me saying "You better be doing something really excellent here 'cause so far, based on the trailers, i'm just visually impressed."

Also, I'm not looking forward to CGI taking over the film-world. I forget what the trailer I saw said, but it was something along the lines of 'movies will never be the same again'...
I certainly hope this is not true. This looks great, but I'd be very sad to see some of my favorite kinds of sci-fi movies turn into this stuff. I see it and it makes me think of "Hulk".
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

IMO, compared to the Avatar trailers, Delgo looks like a children's tv show.
And Avatar is basically about an invasion of another planet and the inhabitants fighting back. Delgo seems to be about an internal civil/political struggle. (Granted, I haven't seen either of them to know for sure).

But I agree that there are a lot of stories that overlap with their plots.....(How many "Twilight knock-offs are there.....and "Twilight" is "Romeo and Juliet" with a little "Angel" mixed in.) Avatar is basically "Dances With Wolves" on steroids and I'd like to see what Cameron does with it.

And anyway, when are we ever going to be able to see anything resembling Nightcrawler doing anything cool in a movie?? LOL
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

You got a point there, Jeremus. Alien Nightcrawlers is also a reason to watch the movie. TALL alien Nightcrawlers.
puppygirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pigeon Fancier
Nightscrawlearth Character: :blink :warlock :morph :deadgirl

Post by puppygirl »

The first I heard of this movie was back in August, walking past a magazine rack in a newsagents and seeing a blue fuzzy face with yellow eyes loking out at me half shadowed from the front of a film magazine, my exact words "Holy crap! Is that Kurt?"

I was slightly disapointed to learn it wasn't, but only slightly, this does look like one funfilled adventure flick that's also visually stunning, gonna go check it out in IMAX next week I think :)
Image NightscrawlearthImage

Pup's Blog -- Pup's Tumblr
"Why can’t people appreciate how much effort I put in to not becoming a serial killer?"
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

It does look pretty awesome! My friend kind of pointed it out to me, saying, "Have you heard of 'Avatar?'" He said it caught his attention because it looked like a bunch of Nightcrawlers running around!

My friend has heard (no definites) that the director of the movie was a big fan of X-Men as a kid. Confirm/deny anyone?
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Starfish »

I don't know for sure, but that's very likely. He almost directed an X-Men movie back in the early 90s and had already been discussing such a project with Stan Lee and Chris Claremont. However, the production company that held the movie rights back then went bankrupt, the rights went back to Marvel, and no alternative funding could be found for a couple of years.
Kieron Gillen
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

Well I don't know about this one. Question: is there any decent music in this movie? I still haven't forgiven Cameron for releasing Celine Dion on us last time...
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

.....eeevery night in my dreams, I see you...
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Starfish »

Elwing wrote:Well I don't know about this one. Question: is there any decent music in this movie? I still haven't forgiven Cameron for releasing Celine Dion on us last time...
Someone uploaded James Horner's score to youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuJnV4ZJIfk
Check the rest of the uploads from the same user for the other tracks.
Kieron Gillen
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Starfish »

Here's a - quite amazing, imo - clip from the movie, available in HD quality. I think it gives a good impression of the Na'vi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE1gqq3LG_0

[Edited on 15-12-09 by Starfish]
Kieron Gillen
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator
Title: SCP-3068
Nightscrawlearth Character: :selene :mayhem :icarus :warren :sabretooth

Post by Scumfish »

Mmmkay. Imma add my two cents (or tuppence, as I'm English) as I do believe I'm the first 'Scrawler that's seen Avatar.

No spoilers, promise.

It's bloody brilliant. Yes, the dialogue is definitely dodgy around the edges. Yes, it's a well-used, family-friendly plot. Cameron's not one for original ideas (and I think that's been said already). Also? I'd like to say that for the really popluar blockbusters? There's no such thing as a truly original idea any more.

What set this film apart from me was just how well executed said plot was. And groundbreaking? Hell yes. I saw it in 3D and it's a fully-immersive world. Pandora is beautiful, and I'm sure it will be just as impressive 2D. The plot's nothing special, but Cameron pulled it off with finesse and even the dodgy dialogue was funny rather than groan-worthy, feeling more like it wasn't taking itself too seriously rather than packing itself with cliches, which I feel is the problem with a lot of these movies.

All in all, it was pulled off spectacularly. It was well worth the money to go and see, and I'd happily go and see it again.

...If only for the blue butts :cracked
Those who know, don't say; those who don't, say too much.

Aodhfionn 'Fianna' MacDuibh's Character Blog (for Nightscrawler's RPG)

My (NSFW) Art/General Blog || My Trans Blog || My (SFW-ish) Art
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Scummy, I think you ought to know that your review made my mind up for me.

My sister and I are gonna go watch! Will post my own spoiler-free review after we do!
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Back when the trailer was released I lost my interest for one single small reason, which is actually pretty ridicilous.

http://modernl.com/article/5-terrible-f ... int-design

Plus I was already skeptic about the movie and I read a review which pretty much was on the same lines with me.

So I'm not going to pay couple of hundred euros to see it.
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

I hope to go see this Saturday with my dad. I don't know if we'll get to see it in 3D or not....but either way is good.:)

Update:
I SAW IT!!!
We only had the 2D version, but man was it beautiful! IMO It was definitely worth the admission price. I agree, some of the dialogue was a little hokey, but it definitely made up for that with humor, special effects, and action scenes. I really liked it.
It was like 2 and a half hours long....felt like 3 hours. And even though there was a lot of violence, there wasn't a lot of ninja-like blood and guts all over the place. I don't remember too much bad language either so it'd be good for older kids.
My Dad liked it too and even though the plot was predictable, it was good to watch. I'd like to see it again.

[Edited on 01/19/09 by Jeremus]
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

I saw it.

Avatar is my new favorite movie.

I'm sure after I've slept on it and cooled down a little, it won't seem as amazing as it seems right now. But I want to give you my first impression.

AMAZING.

Simply and utterly amazing. Pandora is a world you feel like you could go to, if you only had the chance. The connection you feel for these people is astonishing -- I nearly cried. You feel like cheering at the end... and I did!

I recommend everybody go see it -- this is the first "cult classic" of the twenty-first century.
~Def.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

I wouldn't say it's a "cult classic", it's more like a blockbuster or a summer hit. Well in the southern hemisphere it's a summer hit. Cult classics are movies that's been and gone and disappeared only to reappear, things like Hellboy or Donnie Darko or Ghostbusters or Aliens, those I consider cult classics, because they ended up just for a certain group of people, whereas Avatar can be liked by all.

But give it time, in a year or five avatar's going to end up in the back of the dvd sales rack, and you'll flip through the discount names and suddenly go "Oh, I liked this movie, think I'll buy it." and slowly but surely, the cult classic will begin.

by the way, is it just me, or do you lot also go :doh! with the fact that McDonalds sells avatar toys with their happy meals to children too young to even see the movie?
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

steyn wrote:by the way, is it just me, or do you lot also go :doh! with the fact that McDonalds sells avatar toys with their happy meals to children too young to even see the movie?
I don't just :doh! I want to run down to McDonald's and strangle them!

Because the commercialization of this epic, epic movie is making me very mad.

And that was basically what I meant by "cult classic" -- it makes me think of Star Wars. Groundbreaking cinematography, new worlds, new cultures, mystical force, over-used plotline, really really popular when it first came out... etc etc etc.
~Def.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

THat's why you got to give it some time to seep in into popular culture to such a point that people starts groaning about it and disliking it because of all the geeks out there who loves it and calls themself Na'vi because they feels so close to the aliens etc. etc. etc.
You'll know it's a cult classic when geeks get married wearing blue tails and the person marrying them is a spiritual leader who's saying the important parts in th Na'vi language.