NaNoWriMo!! Are You In It?

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator
Title: SCP-3068
Nightscrawlearth Character: :selene :mayhem :icarus :warren :sabretooth

Post by Scumfish »

It's that time of year again! National Novel Writing Month :D

Is anyone else on here going to go for it? 50k words in 30 days ain't an easy target by far, but it's fun - though mine turned into a non-event last year thanks to stress, I'm gonna give it a shot again this year - with a completely new story and all.

So - anyone one else up to the challenge? :D

www.nanowrimo.org - I'm Scumfish. Come find me, even if it's just to cheer me on!
Those who know, don't say; those who don't, say too much.

Aodhfionn 'Fianna' MacDuibh's Character Blog (for Nightscrawler's RPG)

My (NSFW) Art/General Blog || My Trans Blog || My (SFW-ish) Art
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

As for whether or not I'm participating, I had the following internal dialogue:

the ambitious me: Yeah! I could do this!

the sensible me: Am I freakin' kidding myself? I've already got three or four simultaneous projects going on!

the ambitious me: Chris Yost could handle that workload.

the sensible me: I'm not Chris Yost.

the ambitious me: Where's your work ethic?!

the sensible me: Right where it should be, drill sergeant!
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Fergie the Unjust

Post by Ferguson »

Woo! Just as I was thinking of starting a new project here it is!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

Post by Svartfreja »

I joined this year: Svartfreja

I was going to do it last year but, as many of you know, my PC blew up and fucked that idea up royally. Hopefully no such disasters this year!
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

Hopeflly I'll be too busy to do this, but I'll try.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Lord willing, I plan to do it again this year.

We may still have our group designation from last year; I just got home from holiday so will check next week when I have time.

{edit} Started a thread on the NaNo board for us (I hope this works): Bamf On In

{one more edit} Please put me on your Buddy List if you don't already have me. That way I can be nosy and nanomail you and stuff. And let's cross fingers that I can decide what to write. I keep having ideas, but not too many novel-length. Heck, I may fall back on my standby: some variation of a Beauty And The Beast story.

gammy-the-slug (with a Nighty icon from last year ha ha)

[Edited on 9/10/09 by Elfdame]

[Edited on 9/10/09 by Elfdame]
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

Yes. I am going to do it. Whether or not I join the website.

Joining the website depends heavily on what my parents say about it.

I hope I can, though.
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

If you want me to email your folks, I will. After all, there is the Young Writers' Project (link may not work right now, as this is a huge time of year for them), an adjunct or spin-off of nanowrimo, in which teachers lead students through the novelling November craziness. That makes it almost ... legitimate. And I've never been directly spammed as a result of nano. Let me know if you want me to give them a gentle nudge.

And if not ... you can post word counts etc on this thread and maybe I can email some of the pep talks to ya.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Dedicatedfollower467 wrote:Yes. I am going to do it. Whether or not I join the website.

I hope I can, though.
Don't you have to be at least 13 years old to even register for this website?
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
sovietxzion
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat
Title: Boy Cereal

Post by sovietxzion »

Angelique, i'm a lot like you when it comes to novel writing or at least writing stories! I tend to be a bit too ambitious and have lofty goals.

ie:

Being the next Jane Austen or Emily Bronte but then again, i do give myself unrealistic goals or expectations without thinking them throughly! :rolleyes
"Itchy, Rusty, Wretched, my ARSE!"- Jetfire

"I'm not gonna stick it in freja and make her see god, i leave that to the Pros... AKA freak"

"If sex is evil, I comitted a whole lot of evil last night."
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

The Drastic Spastic wrote:
Dedicatedfollower467 wrote:Yes. I am going to do it. Whether or not I join the website.

I hope I can, though.
Don't you have to be at least 13 years old to even register for this website?
Yes, you do. And I'm fifteen. But I'm generally a good kid and don't sign up for anything before I've talked with my parents about it. My parents are kinda scared by how much time I spend on Nightscrawlers, actually. I'm hoping NaNoWriMo won't freak them out too much.
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Show 'em YWP. When they realize that teachers use it as a tool, they may be a lot less suspicious or concerned.

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

My parents aren't crazy. They're not even really overprotective. They just want me to be safe. I'm pretty sure they'll let me join... I just wanna kind of ease them into it, you know? Throwing too much at them at once would kind of freak them out.

Edit: Hah, I knew it! My dad let me join, it's all good! I'm still Dedicatedfollower467 (thought I'd make it easy for you guys to find me!)

[Edited on 10/10/09 by Dedicatedfollower467]
~Def.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Getting ready and revved up.

Yesterday I talked to my Dad about it and he actually listened and followed along; of course, he was with me during my college years so many of the ideas, fads, people and events are familiar to him. But when I'd start babbling about possiblities of plot twists, eyes glazed over, he kept up wtih it. Wow.

This will NOT be the kind of novel I could ever submit for publication, but I am sooo pumped -- and frightened (because it's not what I normally write, tho there will be humour in it -- about actually spilling it all out on paper, er, harddrive.

Don't forget I have a Scrawlers thread in one of the Forums over there. :D

Anybody else getting excited or scared?

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

My *entire* screenplay class is doing it this year actually. I'm pretty psyched.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

No way could I do that...unless I had the month off from work or something (Yeah, Angelique, Chris Yost COULD handle that workload...but it's what he does for a living!).

I haven't managed to write anything of any length for months.
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

It's only 2k words a day. Not that much really :P and that gives you a few spare days to mess about with ^_^

I'm looking forward to it!

IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Says the girl who doesn't sleep and plays WoW for the same amount of time that elephants drink from the watering hole!! LOL! :P
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

lol I can write 2k words a day easy :P I've been looking forward to NaNoWriMo so I'd have an excuse :P

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:My *entire* screenplay class is doing it this year actually. I'm pretty psyched.
Screenplay class? Do they do Script Frenzy too? I think that's in April now ... I get confuzzed because they changed it a year or two ago. Only did it one time, to be able to say to myself that I'd done it. Didn't get on the stick in time this year, though.

But nano is always such FUN! We don't have a Municipal Liason in my town, so I set up a few write-ins and hope some folks will come.

And maybe Monday I can check the costume shops to see if I can find a cheap used Viking helmet to wear a la Chris Baty's video this week. :D

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

it's a biiiiiiiiiig place, nanowrimo.com.

But i am up to 1,944 words, so I feel pretty confident so far.

So far...

Let's see if I can keep it up. Course, last year I didn't even get that far. But year before I flaked out around week 3.
~Def.
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator
Title: SCP-3068
Nightscrawlearth Character: :selene :mayhem :icarus :warren :sabretooth

Post by Scumfish »

2607. On a roll. This is going to be my way of sodding de-stressing ><
Those who know, don't say; those who don't, say too much.

Aodhfionn 'Fianna' MacDuibh's Character Blog (for Nightscrawler's RPG)

My (NSFW) Art/General Blog || My Trans Blog || My (SFW-ish) Art
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Everyone flakes out at a certain point. Take a look at gammy-the-slug's Novel Page and see the Note To Self. ;)

I try to set goals recognizing that some days I likely will NOT write at all, and other days when I must be out and about count as "half days" so for this year I have 17 days with goal of 2450 and 7 half-days with 1300-word goals. That way, if I go great guns I'm ahead but if I get a grandkid dropped on my doorstep or have to work in a couple more funerals, I can still feel I'm keeping up.

Right after my first nano 2 years ago, I started writing my interminable Crawlerfic and have found through that, that it's possible to write a ton if I can grab time alone. Also that plot points tend to knit themselves together after awhile, so I am not stressing about the lack of direction; I'm writing whatever parts seem most interesting and hoping the developments will happen.

And am looking forward to the pep talks; I often quote snippets of them in emails to my local writing group. When it comes time to hit that wall and scale it, the pep talks often focus on that particular aspect of novelling. So hang in there, guys 'n' gals.

W00t-w00t!

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Yeah!!!!!!!

I am pumped for this year's WriMo.... I think I've got a great idea, and this is the first time i've had many, many friends supporting me!

I think my English teacher is even going to have the whole class work on it -- meaning that I will have TIME IN CLASS to work on the novel.

This year is going to be good. I can just tell.
~Def.
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Post by JSherlock »

I should pump out my friggin novel this time around...
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro