NaNoWriMo!! Are You In It?

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Def, tune your teacher in (if s/he isn't already) to the Young Writers' Program that I mentioned before. And BTW, congrats on your first tear sheet. Start a collection of them!
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

This isn't exactly a double post since it covers a different aspect.

Are you guys hitting the home page and lovin' Chris Baty's Breaking News updates and the videos?

Am not sure if the vids replace Wrimo Radio, but I hope not. I loved Wrimo radio, and hubby and I would listen to each episode. A couple of times I was on it for like 20 seconds last year. :D
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

Hahaha... my English teacher is giving us fifteen minutes of every class period to write a novel! The whole class is shooting for 50,000 words in 30 days! Teach ROCKS!
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator
Title: SCP-3068
Nightscrawlearth Character: :selene :mayhem :icarus :warren :sabretooth

Post by Scumfish »

Unfortunately, due to some seriously crappy circumstances, I am once again pulling out of NaNoWriMo.

Needless to say...incredibly not happy right now.
Those who know, don't say; those who don't, say too much.

Aodhfionn 'Fianna' MacDuibh's Character Blog (for Nightscrawler's RPG)

My (NSFW) Art/General Blog || My Trans Blog || My (SFW-ish) Art
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Sorry, Scummy, really really sorry. Especially since I love your fics.

I am at our first little unofficial write-in; we have no ML in my town so I booked the library close to my house for a couple hours the next Thursday nights (except Thanksgiving). Only one gal showed, but it's fun gabbing as we write. She's telling me about how she may need to kill off one of her characters, and I filled her in on "Mr. Ian Woon" and other ways of anagramming nanowrimo into the story.

I am so far behind ... but at least am having fun and getting a few ideas. Amazing how much one forgets in 30 years, but as I write, so much of my college days come back. (The gal who showed up tonight is attending my alma mater, and taking French, anthropology, and American Sign Language, which were my 3 biggest subjects. *cue "Twilight Zone" theme music*)

Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Scumfish »

...I hereby retract my comment. I'm on 12k words. :3

NaNoWriMo, it's on!!

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

I've been sick with something suspiciously like the flu for the past few days, and tried to catch up from being GROUNDED on Wednesday and not getting home at all on Tuesday -- and yet I felt so muddled nasty lazy yesterday that I'm over 3K words behind. drat.
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

'S okay, Deffie, I'm over 3K behind too. Keep whacking away until it starts dragging you down the road and you look up at the clock and go, "Ulp! I forgot to eat dinner!" :D

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Anybody still in this besides def and myself? I am waiting for her to post a novel excerpt. Mine is only a tiny bit, but with luck when I finish The Drive-In Scene there may be something of interest to put up at my page.

*sigh* so lonely, being the only person without a Real Life ....

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Tomorrow I'm going to write a big fight scene. Maybe I'll post today's strange banter and tomorrow's fight scene, it seems like something you'd like, Elfie!
~Def.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

Actually I think Scum's still in it. Oh and me, check my sig for my wordcount. Yes, I know, still a bit behind.
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Scumfish »

Am still in it! Burning up the paper too, way ahead of schedule and probably going to be able to risk a break by the end.

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Oh, I thought my darling Scummy had to drop out. Hooray!

Can't see the bottom banners here; I had mine up there yesterday but today all I see are people's quotes. (Wonder if it's my computer or a general problem? I could see the wordcount widgets yesterday...)

I did look at nano for my Scrawler friends, even a few who didn't declare (like Fergie), but seems nobody had gotten far or posted excerpts. Mine stinks but maybe I can glean a bit from what I wrote last night ... prolly not, because it had a lot of characters and thus would not flow well in a tiny excerpt. But I *love* to read my Buddies' excerpts.

Almost couldn't update word count today; last night could not even get the site to load and still unable to access at times this morning.

I might try to glue, polish, and post my next Crawlerfic chappie at fanfiction, to keep my hand in there, before trying to squeeze a plot out of the mess of drivel I've created so far in Cusp Of The '80's.

Good luck, all! Keep pushing! And enjoy the pep talks (I get them in my Inbox so that I don't have to remember to look at the site).

~gammy-the-slug

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Did you know that you can easily write 1700 words a day if you focus on it in 100-word increments, and think to yourself "That's not even two paragraphs. Look, there's 100 words gone, now you've only got 1600 more to go. Another 100, only 1500. See how easy this is, girl?"

I think I've finally figured out how to do this thing.

P.S. My excerpt is up on the NaNo website. :D
~Def.
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Scumfish »

Due to my laptop being a complete pile of fail, I've lost my entire NaNo story.

Notice I didn't swear. Not once.

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Oh, pooooor Scummy!!! No emails to self with text included? No thumb drive? No .tmp files? Surely *something* can be salvaged????

:rainy
:bawl
:doh!

I say, take your word count and continue to use it. When time allows, bang out versions of what you had (you have any scribbled Notes To Self or pseudo-outlines?) and fill in the gaps later. Keep wriitng it. As my former pastor used to say: "Nil Illegitimo Carborundum"

{offers puffy granny-shoulder to cry on, pats back and makes soothing noises}

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

updated my profile with a summary and an excerpt, but still haven't written anything else in the actual novel ><
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Scumfish »

Luckily I did have a synopsis of the stories saved, plus they were canned versions of ongoing projects I had stored so...can rewrite in spare time. :) I'm rolling with my wordcount, and on that respect I have good news. Seems stress is good for something, because I am so taking a break now.

43,815 words.

So. Close. XD I know there's masses of plotholes I need to sew up later, I know there's thousands of spelling/grammer mistakes in there, but damnit, so close. I'm going to take a short break (mostly to try and find some sort of inspiration for one or two more short stories) from NaNo and try to resist the urge to go back and edit what I've done. Also, I'm going to rewrite the stories as best I can after the deadline, so that it won't a) muck up my wordcount and b) distract me from finishing.

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

I put up another excerpt. Nothing totally hilarious, but I hope it has a few laughs in it.

A bit behind on word count and still no plot (AT. ALL.), but having fun with the characters and a few tidbits are coalescing. Wondering if it's mainstream or YA.

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

...yeah I'm dropping out, think I'll just write the thing during my holiday time at my parents, nothing to do there except play pool or....play solitaire.
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Scumfish »

...I DID IT!!! :dance

BitterBamfing
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BitterBamfing »

Scumfish wrote:...I DID IT!!! :dance
:thumbup Wow congrats that's quite an achivement.
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Scumfish wrote:...I DID IT!!! :dance
This calls for DANCING MONKEYS!!!!

:monkey :monkey :monkey
~Def.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Way to go, Scummy my lad!!!! :D

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

I think all of us Scrawlers, Wrimos or not, would benefit from reading Kristin Cashore's pep talk. And saving it to our hard drives, or pasting it on the front of the fridge, etc. It's wonderfully inspiring!