09.09.09 is a good day.

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

09.09.09 is a good day.

Post by Saint Kurt »

Today feels like a holiday.

The Beatles, master marketers that they are, have pulled off a sort of pop music coup.

For years they refused to license any of their music to movies or television ads, remaster it, remix it, or otherwise touch it. The result: Their music acquired a sort of sacredness usually reserved for religious artifacts. A huge Beatles fan almost from birth - I totally drank the Koolaid and bought into the idea that their music, image, and history were absolutely untouchable.

But brilliantly, in the last few years they've started licensing their music to a select few projects and now the whole Beatles Rock Band thing has blown that wide open. They will have hundreds of new fans and Rock Band's audience will grow when all the old farts buy game systems just to play Beatles songs. (I would be one of them, but it means buying a TV first.)

All the radio stations are playing all Beatles songs today and everybody's talking about the Beatles where ever I go. It's awesome!

The only thing that would make it better would be cats on the internet.

-e

(And my favorite Beatle is John. Of course.)
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

09.09.09 is a good day.

Post by Elfdame »

Wait ... I'm picking up vibes from one of the kitties ... "I buried Paul, in the litterbox."
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

09.09.09 is a good day.

Post by Saint Kurt »

That's of course because the walrus is the natural enemy of the cat.

It has nothing to do with differences in musical direction. Nothing.

-e
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

09.09.09 is a good day.

Post by Elfdame »

I could sooo go to town with the Beatle-Cat theme:

"All You Need Is Chow"
"Magical Meowy Tour"
"Norwegian Forest" (it's a breed; I looked it up cos I'd never know)
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Paws Club Band"
"Feed Me Do"

oh, I'd better stop. right. now. Before I hurt myself and others.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

09.09.09 is a good day.

Post by Garble »

Though to Nightcrawler, the date is "No, No, No."

...sorry

[Edited on 9-9-2009 by Garble]
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

09.09.09 is a good day.

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Saint Kurt wrote:They will have hundreds of new fans and Rock Band's audience will grow when all the old farts buy game systems just to play Beatles songs. (I would be one of them, but it means buying a TV first.)
Like a doctor can't afford a shiny new TV and XBox?

Not a Beatles fan, they're not my style. They have some catchy songs, but they sound "old". Maybe once it all gets remastered and polished up I'll find it more palatable.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

09.09.09 is a good day.

Post by wizardelfgirl »

The game sounds cool, but I don't have any musical game instrument, and I dunno if it came out for PS2 anyway, which is the only game console I own (seeing as I only have time to use it every few months, I won't be buying any other in the foreseeable future)

Too bad, cuz I'm a Beatle fan too.
~Twitch~

We are what we are Scott--wishing won't change a blessed thing. Nor will feeling sorry for yourself. I learned very early on that I must either accept what I am, or go mad. And though I am now occasionally crazy, I am not mad. If you keep tearing your guts apart every time you think the world's shafted you, my friend, you'll destroy not only yourself, but those who love you.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

09.09.09 is a good day.

Post by Elfdame »

The Drastic Spastic wrote: Not a Beatles fan, they're not my style. They have some catchy songs, but they sound "old". Maybe once it all gets remastered and polished up I'll find it more palatable.
I'm so old that I remember (BARELY -- neling4 could prolly tell you more :D) the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. It wasn't Tchaikovsky or Rachmaninoff, so I wasn't too interested.

And I'm so old that I remember thinking Elton John had cohones of steel for being brazen enough to remake "Lucy In The Sky etc." as if he'd stolen fire from the gods and used it to roast marshmallows.

And I'm so old that I still prefer U2's "Helter Skelter" to that of Lennon & co.

And I'm not quite old enough to remember when our choir director and our late organist did "Let It Be" on a feast day of the Blessed Virgin Mary. But I tease him about it when I can.

[hijack]
And I'm so old that I still think Jimi Hendrix's death was a cryin' shame. Still in love with him. But I like to sing along with the Beatles.
[/hijack]

Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

09.09.09 is a good day.

Post by Saint Kurt »

The Drastic Spastic wrote:
Like a doctor can't afford a shiny new TV and XBox?
Afford? Yes.

But I have other things I'd rather buy and do. I've gone on several TV shopping expeditions thinking I'd really like a flat screen TV and a blu-ray player and have always left empty handed. (and let's face it, I'd be bored with a new TV, an xbox, and a copy of Rock Band Beatles in under an hour.)

-e
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

09.09.09 is a good day.

Well yeah, only true die hards can play Rock Band for more than an hour at a time. I usually poop out after about 40 min. But I feel good. It's like being hypnotized or meditating, watching the colors and hitting the buttons... if we had more songs that I like, I'd probably play it more often.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

09.09.09 is a good day.

Post by Angelique »

It's no accident that this would happen on a day some have written out as number nine... number nine... number nine....

It was also my sister's birthday yesterday.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

09.09.09 is a good day.

Post by OctoberHoliday »

I'm psyched about this. I've always found the Beatles to be absolutely brilliant. I just wish we could afford the game.

I've never like Paul so much, though. I'm not sure why, but he seemed insencencier*.
Let no one who loves be unhappy, even love unreturned has its rainbow. ~ J. M. Barrie
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

09.09.09 is a good day.

*Insincere?
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

09.09.09 is a good day.

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

See now, my friend and I (Both HUGE Beatles fans) have this ongoing debate about the best Beatle...

Paul or Ringo?

I'm a devoted Paul fan... he's one of my idols/heros. Whereas my friend loves Ringo. And it's nothing to do with cuteness because he's a straight man. He just like Ringo.

But I love loads of their songs, Paul, John, George, Ringo, whoever! In fact, my ten favorite of their songs have all four of them in there........
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

09.09.09 is a good day.

Post by neling4 »

Elfdame wrote:
The Drastic Spastic wrote: Not a Beatles fan, they're not my style. They have some catchy songs, but they sound "old". Maybe once it all gets remastered and polished up I'll find it more palatable.
I'm so old that I remember (BARELY -- neling4 could prolly tell you more :D) the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. It wasn't Tchaikovsky or Rachmaninoff, so I wasn't too interested.
Yes, I do remember. Not much of a Beatle fan myself. I liked Herman's Hermits, Paul Revere and the Raiders and the Everly Brothers better.
Elfdame wrote:And I'm so old that I remember thinking Elton John had cohones of steel for being brazen enough to remake "Lucy In The Sky etc." as if he'd stolen fire from the gods and used it to roast marshmallows.
I never liked that song.
Elfdame wrote:And I'm so old that I still prefer U2's "Helter Skelter" to that of Lennon & co.
I don't remember U2's version.
Elfdame wrote:And I'm not quite old enough to remember when our choir director and our late organist did "Let It Be" on a feast day of the Blessed Virgin Mary. But I tease him about it when I can.
I kind of liked that one.
Elfdame wrote: And I'm so old that I still think Jimi Hendrix's death was a cryin' shame. Still in love with him.
Me too. Poor guy. He should have known better.

Okay, I'm done showing off my quoting skills. :D
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

09.09.09 is a good day.

Post by Elfdame »

Yeah, yeah, you like Hendrix because of the Native American connection.

And I didn't care much for guys (like, to drool at, except The Jackson Five when I hit the teen years), but Peter Noone was cute. Even in the late 1970's he was cute -- all dimples and twinkly eyes. *sigh*

DO give a listen to U2's version. Even if ya don't enjoy it, you owe it to yourself to at least hear it. Dunno why, but it pulses with life IMO.

[/hijack]

For me: Ringo, Ringo, Ringo. Love him. And George, gentle genius. Paul I tolerate b/c my bestest friend growing up was a rabid Paul fan. Lennon I respect for his talent. Don't particularly like a lot of his music but I recognize the quality he had.

Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

09.09.09 is a good day.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Elfdame wrote: [hijack]
And I'm so old that I still think Jimi Hendrix's death was a cryin' shame. Still in love with him. But I like to sing along with the Beatles.
[/hijack]
What are you, eighty? :P

wizardelfgirl wrote:The game sounds cool, but I don't have any musical game instrument, and I dunno if it came out for PS2 anyway.
Don't worry, because the economy system we have is what it is, it's probably going to be released on every console ever created.
Including atari 2600 and Virtual Boy.

[Edited on 16/9/2009 by Crocodile Hunter]
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

09.09.09 is a good day.

Post by Nandireya »

So that's why I've been hearing so much Beatles on the radio lately...

It's been said that they've made a big mistake by not making their music available for digital purchasing...that they're losing a lot of money that way...but I guess they don't really need it...I tried to upload one of my Beatles CDs to my iPod but my CD-ROM won't read the darn thing!

I don't remember Jimi Hendrix's death...and I thought I was old too...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

hijack this thread ;-)

Post by Elfdame »

Nandireya wrote: I don't remember Jimi Hendrix's death...and I thought I was old too...
Oh, I don't actually REMEMBER his death. (Probably Mama Cass was the first pop music death I mourned.) We were more into Brahms and stuff at my house when I was a kid. I loved Simon & Garfunkel -- sang "The Sound Of Silence" over & over to myself when I was around 8 -- but we didn't really listen much to popular music at my house. In '71, my sister brought home Jethro Tull's "Thick As A Brick" and the rest of us were all, like, "HUH???" 6 or 7 years down the line I discovered Tull for myself ("War Child" comes to mind)

But I wish Jimi could have ended up like Les Paul or Tony Bennett -- older and still productive.

[/hijack] Maybe I should change my name to Never-On-Topic-Woman.

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

09.09.09 is a good day.

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

Elfdame wrote:
We were more into Brahms and stuff at my house when I was a kid. I loved Simon & Garfunkel -- sang "The Sound Of Silence" over & over to myself when I was around 8
[hijack] I love Simon & Garfunkel! I'm only a little teenage girl, but my dad and my mom made me listen to "oldies" music. Heehee... I'm a country/folk/slow rock person. Like Simon and Garfunkel and John Denver... etc...

okay [/hijack]
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.