Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by wizardelfgirl »

Newest trailer of Alice in Wonderland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9POCgSRVvf0

It is plain that the plot, while a mixture of both books like the first Disney film, will also be original. For one thing, Alice is never older than 7 in the books and here she's 19. Also, this "Red Queen taking over Wonderland" thing doesn't happen in the books, so that will be new too. Overall the movie promises to be exciting and surreal. In other words, a Tim Burton Movie.
~Twitch~

We are what we are Scott--wishing won't change a blessed thing. Nor will feeling sorry for yourself. I learned very early on that I must either accept what I am, or go mad. And though I am now occasionally crazy, I am not mad. If you keep tearing your guts apart every time you think the world's shafted you, my friend, you'll destroy not only yourself, but those who love you.
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Anybody seen it yet?
Was it any good?
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Post by Esynthia »

i saw it opening day and again on this past saturday. i thoroughly enjoyed it. Although, i will say... Don't do 3D unless you're like a fanatic about it. the only part that was worth the 3D screening was falling down the hole with Alice. But in 2D, it's phenomenal. Very much how i picture Wonderland to be.
ImageImage

Remy: he feels lust for everyone
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I will be seeing it soon for myself for the Newspaper, but most of my crew here in RI and my family saw it and all of them said it was atrocious. From the random rap-break dance scene with Hatter to some other events that could result in spoilers, it seems like it was the usual big-box-office-Burton-budget-bonanza. :/ I'll try very hard to stay open minded. I do like Big Fish and a couple of Burton's other flicks a lot, so I'm trying to remind myself that I find SOME of his stuff good. We'll see.

So far though, I'm really impressed with the costuming. Again, need to see it to grade that 100% though.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

I saw it in 3d, and I agree with esy, 2d would be the best. You miss so much detail in 3d.

I can't wait until the damned 3d fad blows over and people go back to making 2d movies based on plot and not on pretty pictures that reaches out to your face.
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Hi!

I actually saw this movie in 3D last week at the Providence Place IMAX, and the detail was pretty amazing. The story, however, left much to be desired...particularly the strange, anachronistic ending. The imagery, though... The movie was beautiful to look at, but overall it felt like a bunch of drafts that had been hastily patched together. But that's just my opinion. :) :shrug
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

ROWENA?!?

YOU'RE IN RHODE ISLAND?!?! SINCE WHEN!?
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

I've been a Rhode Islander since always and always. I was born here, I went to URI and PC, and right now I'm teaching history at CCRI. :)

Oh, by the way, I know why a raven is like a writing desk! They said that blasted riddle over and over again during that blasted movie and never ever answered it, but Lewis Carroll did once in a preface to a later edition of the book. His answer was: "Because it can produce a few notes, tho they are very flat; and it is nevar put with the wrong end in front!" (Nevar is Raven spelled backwards, just to be punny). There's one I heard once that I like better though: "Because they both come with inky quills." There are a bunch of other answers in my annotated version of Alice in Wonderland, but I think those are the best. I'm just mentioning this because when I was little that riddle used to drive me crazy, and it still sort of does! :D

:bamf
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I GO TO CCRI!

NO WAY!!
That's SO COOL! Did you know Dr. Ralph Florio!?

.... Okay I need to not do this on this thread :LMAO

To remedy this:

I'm seeing this movie next tuesday, not writing a review, but instead a piece on 3-D films in the last two years.