Cool News - Jupiter Gets Hit By Comet

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Interesting story here. It appears a comet struck Jupiter, causing an Earth sized "bruise" or even "Dent".

Most people will know that Jupiter is a "gaseous giant" so the idea that any kind of imprint can be left seems nonsensical, but that's not exactly how it works.

More than likely the heat and pressure have condensed the gasses into a rocky core of heavy minerals, creating some form of surface.

We can't be 100% sure though 'cuz every recording device or camera of any kind that we have sent down has exploded and or melted, and or been crushed. Pretty cool actually.

The fact that this hydrogen/helium planet is so big, and is surrounded by sixty something moons, got struck, is one in a million. It's size definitely helped here, but it is very, very rare that a fragment of anything, comet or space junk of whatever kind, would hit a planet, especially Jupiter and leave an impact like that.

This is very Cool news.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Yah, Jupiter! You've saved our necks again!
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Is this the same dent that Shoemaker-Levy left back in the '90's....or do they think this is different comet?

(This is starting to look like the movie "2010" where they go to investigate a hole in Jupiter.....:shifty)
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

It's a totally different comet.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS