Should This Be Allowed??

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Should This Be Allowed??

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Apparently the Sixth book of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (H2G2) is about to be released, and it's title is And Another Thing!

Now don't get me wrong... awesome. However the author of the first five books did die. The late Douglas Adams had more-or-less promised another edition but though the fifth book is bleak, it does undoubtedly end.

Where this is going... well there's a million and another half place it can go, but let's face it, without Douglas' direction and knowledge of the story it probably won't be as good.

The Artemis Fowl author Eoin Colfer is penning it, which I supposed makes sense. It will undoubtedly have the british wit and intellect in tact then, but will it have the same Pizzazz?
Should it?

While skeptical I shall remain until the release, I do enjoy where the title's inspiration came from (apparently Chapter 3 of Book 4 "So Long & Thanks For All The Fish")

[quote]The storm had now definitely abated, and what thunder there was now grumbled over more distant hills, like a man saying "And another thing…" twenty minutes after admitting he's lost the argument.[/quote]

Funny, right?

Especially when you gauge that the argument lost here was Adam's death, which very rudely interrupted his series' conclusion.

Here's the cover
[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/39171446@N03/3612175853/[/img]

Tell me what you all think!

[Edited on 10/6/09 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Should This Be Allowed??

Post by Nandireya »

Hmmm...interesting...but I'm not sure how to feel about it. I love Douglas Adams' stuff...I've got ALL his books...including a first print hard cover of his non-fiction Last Chance to See...the changes in the movie bugged me...I wonder if Colfer has any notes to work on?

And your pic's not working...flickr's a pain that way...a link perhaps?
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Should This Be Allowed??

Post by Slarti »

Okay, wait, what? *Rereads*

Uhhhh. Yeah, no. Douglas Adams is gone, and I think H2G2 probably died with him, considering it was something that it was a universe mostly of his sole creation. As it is, I found the last couple books a little tedious and lacking in the fun and energy of the first few.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Should This Be Allowed??

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I don't know.... as I said I'm skeptical, but I am still trying to be open minded adn though the fifth book I agree was definitely slower and well.... bleaker, I think book 4 was very good and one of the most interesting in the series.

I have plenty of confidence in the talents of Eoin, my only question is, sure he can write a great book, but can he write a good H2G2 book??
It will be different, there's no doubt, but Adams had so many notes when he died that I'm sure it's hard to really fuck it up if you take it seriously enough.

Here's hoping he takes it seriously. *Klinks his glass of Gargle Blaster with Slarti's and toasts the memory of Adams*
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Should This Be Allowed??

Post by Slarti »

Yeah, I can see other people wanting to play in the universe, and I think that's cool, but maybe they should handle it like that instead of just a regular continuation.

Or maybe I'm thinking too hard about it and should just not panic. :smirk
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Should This Be Allowed??

Post by Elwing »

Ah, HHGTTG. The first bit of it was some of the funniest shit I ever read, and then it got increasingly tedious and muddled. There never really seemed to be much of a plot to it, but Adams got away with it at first, because of all the fantastic oneliners. It got old and last book was just tiresome. Maybe a new writer can breathe some new air into it? I'd give it a chance if the reviews are good...
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”