Musical Theatre: Any fans?

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:
Anyone else?
Not really, no. I like Film. My ideal career is a film writer/director.
No shit? My career is going for the industry too.

So... Because you like movies and your ideal career is a film writer/director you cant enjoy stage productions?
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Post by Esynthia »

Crocodile Hunter wrote:
Ult_Sm86 wrote:
Anyone else?
Not really, no. I like Film. My ideal career is a film writer/director.
No shit? My career is going for the industry too.

So... Because you like movies and your ideal career is a film writer/director you cant enjoy stage productions?
I don't understand it either. :shrug
ImageImage

Remy: he feels lust for everyone
Witchbrew
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Witchbrew »

IMO a film writer/director needs to understand both stage and film (You could even extend this to stage, film and television). Stage plays are made into films and films into plays. Understanding how each one works is important in translating between these methods. Stage and film operate in very different ways - what works in one may not work in the other.

I've seen Cats on Broadway. I liked some parts better than others. My friend really liked it. While I've seen other stage productions, that's the only musical. I really need to get out more
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." E.A. Poe
wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by wizardelfgirl »

I love musicals. And I usually love anything done by Andrew Lloyd Webber (not all, mind, but most). When I was a little kid I saw the Wizard of Oz, and my mother says I wouldn't stop singing the songs. The first musical I have recollection of seeing is Cats, which will always be my favourite because it opened the door to the musical theatre world. Others I've seen are Beauty and the Beast, The Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, Fiddler on the Roof, The Lion King (the Broadway tour), Mamma Mía (also the tour. Last month the Mexican production of this play opened, but I haven't seen it), The Sound of Music, and lots of others. I want to go to New York and spend like a week in Broadway, watching all the shows. :P

Tober, you really didn't like the Phantom movie? I loved that movie. Sure, the acting could have been a bit better in some cases, but the essence was kept and I can't ask for more. Yet the actual stage production is waaayy better. If you ever have the chance do go watch it. You might like it.
~Twitch~

We are what we are Scott--wishing won't change a blessed thing. Nor will feeling sorry for yourself. I learned very early on that I must either accept what I am, or go mad. And though I am now occasionally crazy, I am not mad. If you keep tearing your guts apart every time you think the world's shafted you, my friend, you'll destroy not only yourself, but those who love you.
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

I love musical theater!!! Thanks, Twitch for bringing this up again... I would never have seen it otherwise!

I have performed in three musicals, Don't Say No to the USO (a little-known one-act musical involving a spy ring in WWII), High School Musical (I don't like it at ALL, but I signed up for the group before I knew what the musical was) and Into the Woods, by far my favorite production I've been in.

I've also performed some simple songs with choreography from a few musicals, "Comedy Tonight" from A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum and "Master of the House" from Les Mis.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Les Mis. Got to see it onstage in London last week. I cried when Jean Val-Jean died, even though I knew it was coming.

I haven't seen many live productions of musicals... mostly films of live productions. Let's see... Phantom of the Opera, Les Mis, The Mikado, Fiddler on the Roof, and Beauty and the Beast (twice) are the ones I've seen live onstage.

But my first musical I can remember was the movie of The Wizard of Oz.

I used to be obsessed with Oz... I once went as the Scarecrow for Halloween. I most of the other Oz books too, (there are thirteen). Part of what I like about Oz is that EVIL is EVIL and GOOD is GOOD and there's no two ways about it. It's also why I like Dracula so much. I love conflicted, not-really-bad-not-really-good characters, but there are some good old-fashioned fairy-tale type stories that need to have those rigid lines between good and bad.

This is probably why I hate Twilight and Wicked.

Because suddenly, Glinda, the consummate good, becomes petty, mean, and self-centered. The WWW becomes the hero, even though she was always protrayed as EVIL AS EVIL CAN GET.

Sorry, I'm ranting, I'll shut up now.
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Esynthia »

Dedicatedfollower467 wrote:I love musical theater!!! Thanks, Twitch for bringing this up again... I would never have seen it otherwise!

I have performed in three musicals, Don't Say No to the USO (a little-known one-act musical involving a spy ring in WWII), High School Musical (I don't like it at ALL, but I signed up for the group before I knew what the musical was) and Into the Woods, by far my favorite production I've been in.

I've also performed some simple songs with choreography from a few musicals, "Comedy Tonight" from A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum and "Master of the House" from Les Mis.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Les Mis. Got to see it onstage in London last week. I cried when Jean Val-Jean died, even though I knew it was coming.

I haven't seen many live productions of musicals... mostly films of live productions. Let's see... Phantom of the Opera, Les Mis, The Mikado, Fiddler on the Roof, and Beauty and the Beast (twice) are the ones I've seen live onstage.

But my first musical I can remember was the movie of The Wizard of Oz.

I used to be obsessed with Oz... I once went as the Scarecrow for Halloween. I most of the other Oz books too, (there are thirteen). Part of what I like about Oz is that EVIL is EVIL and GOOD is GOOD and there's no two ways about it. It's also why I like Dracula so much. I love conflicted, not-really-bad-not-really-good characters, but there are some good old-fashioned fairy-tale type stories that need to have those rigid lines between good and bad.

This is probably why I hate Twilight and Wicked.

Because suddenly, Glinda, the consummate good, becomes petty, mean, and self-centered. The WWW becomes the hero, even though she was always protrayed as EVIL AS EVIL CAN GET.

Sorry, I'm ranting, I'll shut up now.
Ya know, I love Wicked the book, but I refuse to see the stage production of it and I wouldn't voluntarily audition to be in it. I like Wicked because it gives you a different perspective than from Dorothy's view. B/c for all we know, the witch really was like that and it was all someone else's fault b/c they didn't like her and decided to tell ppl she was evil or what-have-you.

Anyway... I dont remember the last time I posted, but the last musical I was in was Big River. LOADS of fun! :D Haven't auditioned for anymore musicals lately, seems like most of the shows coming out atm are just straight plays. :shrug Like those too though... have something I'm thinking about auditioning for in 2 weeks. If that doesn't work out, I'm gonna try to audition for Sweeney Todd on the 13th of next month. :cracked
ImageImage

OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by OctoberHoliday »

I've always been and Oz fan, too. My teatre teacher was going to put on a production of it this year, and I was going to try and get either Dorothy or the Scarecrow. But he's lame and we're doing something like a parody about Star Wars instead. :X

Sweeney Todd? Right on Esy! What role are you shooting for if you decide to audition?

[Edited on 11/8/09 by OctoberHoliday]
Let no one who loves be unhappy, even love unreturned has its rainbow. ~ J. M. Barrie
wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by wizardelfgirl »

I am woman (elfwoman) enough to admit I have not a drop of acting blood in my veins, so I never auditioned in our school plays. However, for a time I sang in my school's choir and whenever the play (one per year) was a musical we would support the cast, so you could say I've been in West Side Story and Fiddler on the Roof. I did end up roped into acting in Beauty and the Beast (not the Disney one, it was a different version, but it was also a musical) once when I hid in the auditorium to cut gym and the theatre teacher made me replace an actress that had dropped out. However, due to some issues the play was cancelled, and thus endeth my brief acting career :P

I'm very curious about the LOTR musical. A friend in the UK told me it's fantastic. I can't imagine something like LOTR in theatre, and in a musica,l to boot.
~Twitch~

We are what we are Scott--wishing won't change a blessed thing. Nor will feeling sorry for yourself. I learned very early on that I must either accept what I am, or go mad. And though I am now occasionally crazy, I am not mad. If you keep tearing your guts apart every time you think the world's shafted you, my friend, you'll destroy not only yourself, but those who love you.
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Esynthia »

OctoberHoliday wrote: Sweeney Todd? Right on Esy! What role are you shooting for if you decide to audition?
[Edited on 11/8/09 by OctoberHoliday]
Just a chorus part. I'm too young for Mrs. Lovett and Lucy(Sweeney's wife) and my range is wrong for Johanna. But it would pay and be good on the resume. :)
ImageImage

Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

I've only seen two professional ones...My Fair Lady and Beauty and the Beast (you know Hugh Jackman was in the original Aussie production of that, right?)...but I've seen a few by our local amateur group, which are nearly always Gilbert and Sullivan...and heaps of movie versions.

I'd go and see more, but the big ones just don't come around here (I had to go to Sydney to see Beauty and the Beast...16 hours on a bus! Yikes!). I'd love to see Wicked, but there's no plans for it to even leave Melbourne and that just too far away...

Oh...and I've seen my niece in two...The Wiz (she was chorus in that one) and The Music Man (she was the mayor's wife).

[Edited on 12-8-2009 by Nandireya]
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by wizardelfgirl »

Nandireya wrote:I've only seen two professional ones...My Fair Lady and Beauty and the Beast (you know Hugh Jackman was in the original Aussie production of that, right?)...but I've seen a few by our local amateur group, which are nearly always Gilbert and Sullivan...and heaps of movie versions.

I'd go and see more, but the big ones just don't come around here (I had to go to Sydney to see Beauty and the Beast...16 hours on a bus! Yikes!). I'd love to see Wicked, but there's no plans for it to even leave Melbourne and that just too far away...

Oh...and I've seen my niece in two...The Wiz (she was chorus in that one) and The Music Man (she was the mayor's wife).

Oh yes! I did know Hugh Jackman was in Beauty and the Beast, he was Gaston! That man is one of those multitalented types and I love him for it! :love

That's one of the reasons I wouldn't move from Mexico City. All the big plays arrive here and if I lived anywhere else I know I'd never have time to travel here to watch them. Even living here I've missed a few, like Rent and Cabaret.
~Twitch~

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

There is one odd advantage to living out in the middle of nowhere, however. I have performed in or worked on more musicals than I've ever just sat down and watched.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

wizardelfgirl wrote:Oh yes! I did know Hugh Jackman was in Beauty and the Beast, he was Gaston! That man is one of those multitalented types and I love him for it! :love
I have the Australian soundtrack...and I was given the Melbourne playbill...I saw it in Sydney well after he'd retired from the role. It would have been so cool to have seen him in it...I was only three rows from the stage! Michael Cormick played the Beast through pretty much its entire Australian run...in Melbourne AND Sydney.

There are plans to make the musical into a movie now, apparently. Hardly surprising...most musicals eventually become movies...

:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

I saw Hugh Jackman in the Aussie/UK film of "Oklahoma" as curly. It was funniest to see the rest of the class. My teacher points to the screen and says, "Does anybody know who that is?" Most of the class shrugs their shoulders. A friend of my says, "The guy from 'The Prestige?'" But my comic-a-holic friend points straight at the screen and shouts "That's Wolverine! That's Hugh Jackman!"

I think it takes a lot of skill and talent to be able to perform onstage as well as on film. They're different breeds of cat.
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Esynthia »

I've seen the Oklahoma! with him in it. OMG He blew me away. I used to watch the movie version as a kid constantly and I'd not seen anyone in the role who could capture me like that Curly did. Hugh Jackman was the first to beat him. :love
ImageImage

wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by wizardelfgirl »

Nandireya wrote:
wizardelfgirl wrote:Oh yes! I did know Hugh Jackman was in Beauty and the Beast, he was Gaston! That man is one of those multitalented types and I love him for it! :love
I have the Australian soundtrack...and I was given the Melbourne playbill...I saw it in Sydney well after he'd retired from the role. It would have been so cool to have seen him in it...I was only three rows from the stage! Michael Cormick played the Beast through pretty much its entire Australian run...in Melbourne AND Sydney.

There are plans to make the musical into a movie now, apparently. Hardly surprising...most musicals eventually become movies...

Which this time would actually be weird, as the Beauty and the Beast started as a movie... albeit animated.
~Twitch~

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

^ Technically, it started as a fairy tale.

Just thought I'd point that out. :P

Love them both, musical and animated Disney movie. Especially Lumiere!
~Def.
OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by OctoberHoliday »

Hah! My sister keeps telling me it was a play first. I guess we were both wrong, because I had no idea it was a fairy tale. And ditto, Def. I love that candelstick-man, as I not-so-affectionately call him. Lumiere absolutely steels the entire movie/show.

But where did the fairy tale come from?
Let no one who loves be unhappy, even love unreturned has its rainbow. ~ J. M. Barrie
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Esynthia »

.....you didnt know it was a fairy tale first? blasphemy. the disney movie is my absolute favorite movie. the fairy tale version information.

It was a fairy tale then made into several different live movies/shows before Disney took it and made a musical cartoon adaptation of it. which was the first animated film to be nominated for best picture. and won best original song for "Beauty and the Beast". then it went to stage as a musical.

[Edited on 8/18/2009 by Esynthia]
ImageImage

wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by wizardelfgirl »

Dedicatedfollower467 wrote:^ Technically, it started as a fairy tale.
Point to you, though most plays/movies tend to be based on books or tales.

I've always wondered about the musical version of Beauty and the Beast we almost did in high school. It was not Disney's version, yet it had to be an existing musical version cuz the 2 seniors trying to direct the play didn't write the songs or anything, they had a CD with the songs, and the CD case had a photo of the play (I didn't get to see it properly, though).

This musical version was closer to the original tale than Disney's. You know, the dad plucking out a rose from the Beast's garden and the Beast making him promise he'd give him the first creature that welcomed him home, and all that jazz. Also, the Beast had a horde of little demons as his servants instead of enchanted objects. But it also had some Disneyesque stuff, like its own version of Gaston and Lefou --here called Flounder. At first I was supposed to sub for the girl that played one of the 2 chief demons, but somehow I got roped into playing Flounder. And in the end the play was cancelled, so I lost my chance to check out the CD and find out where it came from.

[Edited on 18/8/09 by wizardelfgirl]
~Twitch~