808's & HeartBreak... worst album ever.

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I absolutely hate this album and I need someone, SOMEONE please, to explain to me why it is good besides the fact that it is
1) new and different
2) unlike anything Kanye has ever done before
3) Inspired by the tragic/sudden death of his mother and/or sudden end to his long term relationship
4) Because "it sounds really cool".

It is a bunch of FUCKING NOISE at best. He gets some great orchestration in there, and then covers it up with his horrible fucking synthesizer voice.

Now in my complaints about this album I have been called ignorant and stupid, because I do not appreciate this album.

Why am I ignorant and stupid for greatly detesting a small piece of work in an already successful career of Hip Hop/Rap that Kanye has built for himself? I completely appreciate his previous work and I just don't get where he gets off handing me this piece of trash that is inarguably of lower quality, in my personal opinion?

Do I not, as a fan, have the right to be completely offended that he would produce such horse manure? Do I not, as a music goer, have an opinion that can be held as semi valid based on personal opinions and situational upbringing?

Regardless of the answers to those questions the album is a joke.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Hmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMix-vOSfFo

That does sound like shit.
Then again, I hate that whiny hip hop style anyways so I can't really say wether it's bad or good whiny hip hop.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Thank you!

like, some of his stuff previous to this album:

Good Morning from the album "Graduation"

and All Falls Down
from the album "College Dropout"

all depict him as a talented Hip Hop/Rap artist. Right?

Well this album is just... so horrendously different...

RoboCop This song is the only semi-bearable one, and that is saying something.

You're right Croc... it does sound whiney. It sounds like he put so much bottled up bull shit emotion...

I heard him talk about it on Story Tellers and he didn't say a single thing that wasn't about himself. complete opposite of what Chi-City Hip Hop is all about.

It seems like he tried so hard to do something from his roots, which were his memories and upbringing (being his mother had just died) that he did something that does not, in any way, reflect who he is as an artist. instead, to me, he has tainted his image by doing something "so new and so different".

All my friends just expect me to roll over and love it because it's "new and different". Because it doesn't sound like anything that has ever been done before. That means it is good? Certainly not. If anything it means the artist should rethink his next album.

[Edited on 16/3/09 by Ult_Sm86]
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

It doesn't matter how or why he made the song, just as long he gets paid for it. He's a professional musician, he doesn't care if people like it or not, just that they pay for it to listen to it and moan about it. There's no such thing as bad publicity.

So all I can eventually say is

If you don't like the songs, don't listen to them, easy as that.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

You're misconstruing my hate for "808's" as a complaining about the album rather than what it actually is, my lost faith in one of my favorite hip hop artists.

The guy has never put something out that I honestly didn't like. Yeah I'm probably over-the-top a bit upset at the self-destructiveness of this single album.... but it hurts his image to me. Kanye West was one of my absolute favorite hip hop/rap artists and now he's downgraded to some experimentalist and it upsets me on this personal level that he would make an album so horribly shallow.

[Edited on 15/3/09 by Ult_Sm86]
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Kind of like when Jeff Martin broke up the band and started making weird bluesy shit with awful overly-sentimental lyrics.

I feel ya bro.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Check this out:
"South Park" may have accomplished the impossible -- getting Kanye West to check his ego.

The Comedy Central show skewered the famously self-important rapper on its show Wednesday night.

West responded Thursday on his blog, saying the show was funny, but that it also hurt his feelings and has helped him realize that maybe he needs to stop saying how great he is.

Said West in his typical all-caps mode: "I JUST WANT TO BE A DOPER PERSON WHICH STARTS WITH ME NOT ALWAYS TELLING PEOPLE HOW DOPE I THINK I AM."
Here's the clip, enjoy it while you can. It'll be gone soon.
Kanye's a Gay Fish

(That's the final scene btw)
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

NOOOOO the video is gone.

Unsurprisingly, I found out my ex is really into this CD. I knew he would be from that 10 seconds I managed to listen to before shuddering and turning it off. White noise is one of his favourite genres.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I take it back, my internet radio station that rarely plays new songs I like played two new songs today that met with approval. When I checked them... yep, from this CD. Heartless and Love Lockdown. Heartless is the better one, but I'll keep them both around.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

You realize any progress I may have mentioned Kanye making in that post back in like April was completely undone at the MTV Video Awards when he sharked the mic away from Taylor Swift.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Oh, I think he's a complete idiot. Doesn't mean his music sucks.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

808's is both a shit album and idiotic. And I know, when it comes to music, arguing about what's good and what's not is never worth it...

but it takes zero talent to make that fucking album. He needs to apologize for it.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Back from the dead mainly because I have now listened to the entire album (except the video posted earlier - I still find the white noise song unbearable) and must defend it as one of the best albums of all time. Mr. West has done a fantastic interpretation of the classic love story - guy meets girl, guy loses girl, guy reconnects with girl which brings about the apocalypse and causes DOOM AND HELLFIRE to rain down upon them that leaves at least one involved party a broken shell of a person.

I can understand why this move was criticized... the album is incredible but people who like his old stuff are not likely to get it and people like me who DO get it are likely to have written him off ages ago based on his previous work. (Which I tried again after hearing this and absolutely can't stand, for the record.)

It probably really does sound like a bunch of random beeps and boops and whining to you, and he probably did alienate his loyal fans, but take my word for it, it took Picasso level talent to make this album. No way should he apologize for it. I hope he makes another, but I don't know if it's possible. He already put his whole heart into this one.

oh you just gonna
keep it like you never knew
while im waiting on a dream
that'll never come true
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I feel you're trolling, but even if you are I'll allow myself to reply.

Here's why I actually hated the album, now that my hate has simmered.

It's boring.
It's boring as hell. I listen to it and not a single thing made sense to me.

I agree with you that he alienated his original fans and if you dig this album, and not his previous works, you'll get why he may have lost touch with some of his fans. It's not anything like it.

But to me, when Green Day did "American Idiot", when Beatles did "Abbey Road", when Dave Matthews Band did "Everyday" or when Bruce Springsteen did "Nebraska"... these were all attempts to break out of the norm for the band and expand their work... whilst still being the band/artist they were at heart. They did not change themselves.

However "808's" comes off as Kanye lost his mom, got dumped, got drunk as shit, and locked himself in the recording studio with T-Pain and T.I. for four days with a notepad and an autotuner, and they threw together this once their drunk wore off and they started moving onto Blue Swans and Brown Obama's, essentially "rolling" during the entire recording sessions.
It just sounds like garbage. Not a single bit of it sounds like hip hop, or rap, or anything remotely close to what Kanye west was about, or what he stood for, in the industry.
Jay-Z picked that guy up from a world of record label obscurity, placed him at the mic rather than at the Producer's booth, and let him have it, and he (in my opinion, as well as many others) single-handedly kicked hip-hop up a notch. He gave it the swift tap to the bits that it was looking for since jay-Z's retirement.

With Eminem off the deep end and pulling his usual routine, Dre pushing out artists rather than records, and P. Diddy sticking to Duets and lame MTV reality shows, Hip-Hop was in need of something that was NOT R&B, like Usher, and someone who was prepared to be more commonly known and accepted by the mainstream group (unlike Mos Def).

Kanye did that. "Graduation" and "College Dropout" are two of my absolute favorite albums.
Ever.
Not hip-hop albums. They are two of my favorite records, ever put in my music library. The scheming it took to drive the concepts of the beats/lyrics for each song, the originality in his rhyme schemes. I can safely say my number one favorite hip hop album of all time is "Graduation", (tied with Eminem's "Slim Shady Show").

I listened to all of it, it's not like I threw that out after hearing "Heartless" and started screaming and crying.
I heard the entire album, all of "808's & Heartbreak". I forced myself to listen to every song (even "Robocop", God help me), and I just... it's NOT Kanye.

When I hear:
You don't see just how wild the crowd is?
You don't see just how fly my style is?
I don't see why I need a stylist
When I shop so much I can speak Italian
I don't know I just wanted better for my kids
And I ain't sayin' we was from the projects
But everytime I want it, layaway or a deposit
My dad'll say "When you see clothes close your eyelids"
We was sort of like Will Smith and his son
In the movie I ain't talkin' 'bout the rich ones
'cause every summer he'll get some
Brand new hare-brained scheme to get rich from
And I don't know what he did for dough
But he'd sent me back to school with a new wardrobe and hey!

That beat, those lyrics, it's just sick. It makes me literally start clapping, dancing, nodding my head. I have it. I get it. It clicks. It's like it's natural, like the beat of your heart.

When I hear:
Cause I don't want no Robocop
You moving like a Robocop
When did you become a Robocop
Now I don't need no Robocop

I wonder what the hell kind of Ecstasy this guy was taking to think that a song at that pace, with that much cluttering noise going on, with lyrics so... redundant and obscure, could possibly make for a good song?

Don't get me wrong though, the Auto-Tuner has surely grown on me lately. T-Pain's "Freaknik" on [adult swim] was amazing to me, absolutely hilarious, and Lil Wayne's latest album "Rebirth" is up there in my most-frequently-listened-to-albums.
So I really don't feel it's the way he recorded it so much as... the fact that he did that upsets me.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Ult_Sm86 wrote:I have it. I get it. It clicks. It's like it's natural, like the beat of your heart.

That's really interesting, because that's how 808 sounds to me. Well. Parts of it. I agree that Robocop isn't the best song on the CD. I usually skip that one.

That's why I think he's a genius. Being able to be SO GOOD with two entirely different styles, that's genius.

The most powerful song is the first one. The lyrics go like this
Hey hey hey hey
don't say you will
you will
you will

Hey hey hey hey
please say you will
for real
i pray you will
The minimal lyrics go over a minimal repetitive beat and synthesized choir. The final three minutes are just the minimal beat and synthesized choir. I usually can't stand that kind of thing, but here I listen to the end just wallowing in the feelings raised by the first three minutes.
It's boring as hell. I listen to it and not a single thing made sense to me.
If you ever fall madly in love with someone and then break up, listen to it again. But not too much. I had to swear off listening to it because it was too depressing.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I have been madly in love, and I was, absolutely, mind-bendingly, heart broken. For months.

Kanye did not do it for me.

However; Dave Matthews, Bare Naked Ladies, Frank Sinatra, and The Beatles helped me through it.

To this day, I believe I went through something absolutely terrible that I needed to go through to better appreciate life, and those bands and their music helped me see sense in it all.

But like I said before, with music? It's Case-By-Case.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Helped through it? No, this wouldn't help you get through it. This album is for wallowing. I guess if getting over stuff is your thing, I can see how it wouldn't appeal.