The Crappiness of X3

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

The Crappiness of X3

Post by OctoberHoliday »

I am SO glad that I'm not to only one who thought it was terrible. The first time I watched it, the fact that Kurt wasn't in it was too distracting for me to pay anymore attention because I was waiting the whole movie for him to show up! After the initial shock and unhappiness that lack of Nightcrawler cause, I watched the movie a second time, and instantly wished I hadn't.

It was bad! Wolverine was good, Magneto's little hench-mutants were good, and Beast was great, but that was all I enjoyed.

I simply hated Jean in this one. All her standing about and staring, while in character, was extremely boring and lame. I wasn't too fond of the way the story was told. Not that the story was bad or anything, just the telling of it.

Also, the completely random killing of every major character was aweful, and that fact that none of the characters that I love the most (Gambit, Jubilee, Nightcrawler, so I agree with Bobj1) weren't really in it was horrible, and made the film just drag on.

But the scene that I remember most was when (SPOILER) Magneto was about to get shot by the cure on the train*, and Mystique took the dart instead, causeing her to lose her mutant ability and Magneto's love. Do you guys think he loved her only because she looked the way she looked? Like he found the (excuse the expression) oddest looking mutant he could find to make some sort of statement?
Let no one who loves be unhappy, even love unreturned has its rainbow. ~ J. M. Barrie
wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

The Crappiness of X3

Post by wizardelfgirl »

I've read what averyone has said about how disappointing this movie was and I agree with everything that has been said except for one thing: No one has mentioned the only thing that, to me, made the movie somewhat worth seeing: BEAST!

I loved Beast. I had a hard time imagining Kelsey Grammer portraying him but he did a decent job and the character was more or less, um, well, in character, so at least he didn't disappoint me like the rest.

I started disliking the movie the moment Scott was killed off like an unwanted pest. When I learned why I got even madder. And hey, I can understand not including Kurt in the movie (understand, but not accept), but the "explanation" given in the videogame I think about him quitting cuz he didn't like the violent lifestyle of the X-Men was so lame I could cry. I mean yes, movie Kurt was a little more subdued than comic Kurt personality-wise, but he wasn't a total wuss either.

(I'm assuming everyone here has watched or heard about the movie at this point so I will post spoilers)

The whole plot was too complicated and controversial for the movie. The characters are barely getting used to being who they are and to their powers and suddenly they get a "mutant cure" thrown at them? Come on! And what's with the utopian ending where everyone loves and accepts each other, after a major battle both caused and stopped by mutants?

The scene when Wolverine kills Jean was predictable, but powerful enough that I quite liked it and is one of the few things I enjoyed from the movie. I must admit I haven't watched in years so I don't recall too many details. I should re-watch it if only for the sake of a good critique.
~Twitch~

We are what we are Scott--wishing won't change a blessed thing. Nor will feeling sorry for yourself. I learned very early on that I must either accept what I am, or go mad. And though I am now occasionally crazy, I am not mad. If you keep tearing your guts apart every time you think the world's shafted you, my friend, you'll destroy not only yourself, but those who love you.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

The Crappiness of X3

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

wizardelfgirl wrote: I think about him quitting cuz he didn't like the violent lifestyle of the X-Men was so lame I could cry. I mean yes, movie Kurt was a little more subdued than comic Kurt personality-wise, but he wasn't a total wuss either.
He wasn't? I thought the only part in the movie where he wasn't a wuss was in the beginning and that was the time when he was affected by Colonel Strykers wonderglue.
wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

The Crappiness of X3

Post by wizardelfgirl »

Well, he did sort of tag along with the X-Men and helped them to the best of his abilities --not that he was given an opportunity to show them, as the only one involved in actual fighting scenes was Wolverine, and to a lesser extent Scott and Jean-- and he did save Rogue from certain death. Of course, we all missed his mischievous and rogish side, but he could have been in a kind of shock from just being released from the serum's control and suddenly finding himself in the middle of a battle. That could make sense. But having him wimp out of the team was sad.
~Twitch~

We are what we are Scott--wishing won't change a blessed thing. Nor will feeling sorry for yourself. I learned very early on that I must either accept what I am, or go mad. And though I am now occasionally crazy, I am not mad. If you keep tearing your guts apart every time you think the world's shafted you, my friend, you'll destroy not only yourself, but those who love you.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

The Crappiness of X3

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

You want to see a really bad X-men movie? :smirk You should see Origins.

That said, X-3 (after forcing myself to rewatch it) in its own rights, has its moments. They're very far and very few between, but if you stack it up with X-2, and consider it a trilogy.... they did the best they could with a different set of writers and a different director.

However, I still stand by my point that writers can be more important than actors and this film is my proof. The cast didn't change, the background workers did, and go figure, X-2 Still "rocked" compared to X-3 (though X-2 itself is quite shy from being a great comic adaptation and sort of falls flat as a good action movie).

Also, *cough* It was no Dark Knight :whistle
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

The Crappiness of X3

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

Can any comic book movie come anywhere close to Dark Knight?

Originally, I was gonna keep myself well away from this forum... because I am about to go crazy nutso.

WHAT THE HECK WERE THEY THINKING WHEN THEY MADE THIS STUPID MOVIE????

ahemhem.

I HATED X-3. First of all, the whole Phoenix saga was totally off (yes they went into outer space, yes the directors wanted to keep it 'real' but it could've been handled a whole lot better!) and then the whole thing with Rogue. I hate what they did to Rogue in that movie. She's a whining jealous schoolgirl who decided to take the cure just so she could try to please some pathetic GUY, and that guy was friggin' Bobby Drake! I can see her doing it for Gambit or Magneto... But Rogue's greatest lovers have always been those who loved her for who she was... NOT some pipsqueak who dumped her for Kitty Pryde because he couldn't have sex with her!

Where the heck did Nightie go? He was awesome in X2... a little overdone on the religious side but still TOTALLY AWESOME!!

And huh???? Why is Warren a pansy who can hardly stand up to his daddy?

They involved too many characters and didn't develop them enough. Cameos are nice for us fans, but we'd like a little bit more characterization!

The only good things about this movie? MAGNETO WAS RIGHT!!! Everything he'd feared from the very beginning had come to fruition... exactly the way he said it was going to! Still regal, still powerful, and still intimidating. Then they made him get shot with the cure! Grrr..... at least he got it back by the end.

Other good thing? Beast was pretty awesome. The costume and makeup were not great, but the characterization was smack on the dot.

Actually, I'm glad Nightie wasn't in this one... they would've ruined him, too!!!!

(I warned you...)

[Edited on 8/10/09 by Dedicatedfollower467]
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
wizardelfgirl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

The Crappiness of X3

Post by wizardelfgirl »

Def, I'm totally with you! I couldn't have put it better.
~Twitch~

Swizz the Wolf
Lubber
Lubber

The Crappiness of X3

Post by Swizz the Wolf »

All the stupid stuff aside, bad makeup, characterization, etc., does anyone notice how god-awful the writing was? The movie freaking recycles itself. They created a situation with Phoenix and the Brotherhood and crap, kill off half the cast (some for budget purposes, some for...whatever the hell they were thinking...), depower some, render the "cure" useless by the end (Magneto's powers return. Who's to say that the powers of those who also received it wouldn't also come back? I mean, Magneto's powerful, but they shot him full of the stuff. Most everyone else got a little syringe worth...just saying.), and then bring back the Professor. And Magneto?

Aside from a depleted cast of X-Men, you still have two adversaries and the conflict still exists.

Way to go, movie.
:hrumph
"In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane."--Oscar Wilde
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

The Crappiness of X3

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

Swizz the Wolf wrote:All the stupid stuff aside, bad makeup, characterization, etc., does anyone notice how god-awful the writing was? The movie freaking recycles itself. They created a situation with Phoenix and the Brotherhood and crap, kill off half the cast (some for budget purposes, some for...whatever the hell they were thinking...), depower some, render the "cure" useless by the end (Magneto's powers return. Who's to say that the powers of those who also received it wouldn't also come back? I mean, Magneto's powerful, but they shot him full of the stuff. Most everyone else got a little syringe worth...just saying.), and then bring back the Professor. And Magneto?

Aside from a depleted cast of X-Men, you still have two adversaries and the conflict still exists.

Way to go, movie.
:hrumph
Yeah, no resolution there. It was supposed to be the "Last Stand," but they obviously left it open enough to do a whole lot more of them... instead they're doing prequel movies. :rolleyes Yeah, smart move there! Course, it could mean more Nightie in the movies...
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Swizz the Wolf
Lubber
Lubber

The Crappiness of X3

Post by Swizz the Wolf »

Yeah, in a world in which you can build igloos in hell. Cumming hated the makeup process, for one...but more importantly, the fact that a character like Nightcrawler won't sell as effectively as Cashcow--someone on this forum called Wolverine that at some point, and I applaud them!!! "Broody/dark/miserable/antihero/WAAAAANNNGST a la Edward Cullen (:offtopic Lord, how I hate those stupid books....) seems to be "in" right now, even if its so stupid you can feel your brain leaking out of your ears.

But anyway, the possibility of a Nightcrawler movie seems very limited to me. There would be little to none of the other X-Men that the hordes are familiar with, and Nightcrawler on his own, especially if they used the version of him from X2...let's just say that of all the religions in the US and such, Christianity has a pretty bad rep. And if they do that poorly, it'll be even worse, the writing, the actors...it's very dodgy, it seems.

Nighty in other movies seems like a slim one as well, seeing as the next one they want to do is about Magneto...
"In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane."--Oscar Wilde