Shouldn't nightcrawler get his own movie?

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by OctoberHoliday »

Yes, the movie portrayal was a lot different, but I don't think it was bad, Drastic. I mean, Alan Cumming did alright with what they gave him, and I really enjoyed his performance. There wasn't really anything wrong with it, and if you didn't know the character before you watched the movie (like me), there wouldn't be anything to dislike. I really enjoyed watching him, and he is the reason that I watch the movie over and over again.

But you're right, I would like a movie about a Nightcrawler that show more of the comic character.
Let no one who loves be unhappy, even love unreturned has its rainbow. ~ J. M. Barrie
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I didn't see any amazing acting going on from Alan Cumming. He couldn't even do the accent right. I cringed every time he opened his mouth.

[Edited on 2-5-2009 by The Drastic Spastic]
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by OctoberHoliday »

Well, Nightcrawler is German, right? I think Alan Cumming speak German fluently, and has portrayed a German character before (the Emcee in "Cabaret"). It didn't seem too dreaful.

But I might not know how a German accent is meant to sound. Was there any specific thing that Alan Cumming did with the accent that was wrong?
Let no one who loves be unhappy, even love unreturned has its rainbow. ~ J. M. Barrie
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Look, let's not get into this debate because a) it's not really directly related to should they make a Kurt movie and b) it's an opinion about the quality of an actor. You can't expect to convince the other person of your opinion.

However; I do have an offer for an idea of topic and debate here.

Cast the Nightcrawler movie, who do you choose for Kurt? (Besides Alan, because he said he would never do it again). How about the rest of the cast? Is Mystique in it? Mags? I'm assuming you need a younger one...
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Seeing as Mystique is such a big part of Magneto's life, I wonder if some of her past...including her little bouncing blue bundle of bliss...will feature...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

The thing with German accents is they are normally very slight, and not that noticeable. Everything with Nightcrawler seems to try to exaggerate the accent (all the cartoons, the movie) but it just doesn't work and it sounds freaking ridiculous.

A real German accent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5MQULLbgQY You can't hear it, right? It's very subtle. The line, "We really have to work together again." You can hear it there. Beautiful.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

well, last month I had two german teachers, and both had really heavy german accents. Hehehe, Koo koo nuts, hehehe, good times. So and then there's Freak in chat, heard him thanks to skype, now that's a great german accent.

Anyhow, for NC I definately say an actual german actor instead of someone who has to learn the accent. Preferably someone with a flexible and thin lithe body that would fit NC's physique. That's one of te things that annoyed me about Cumming, he didn't look to me like a circus acrobat.

[Edited on 3/5/2009 by steyn]
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

The Drastic Spastic wrote:
A real German accent http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5MQULLbgQY
No no no! You had to really go to the Uwe zone. :X
OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by OctoberHoliday »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:Cast the Nightcrawler movie, who do you choose for Kurt? (Besides Alan, because he said he would never do it again). How about the rest of the cast? Is Mystique in it? Mags? I'm assuming you need a younger one...
I think I'll stand with what I said in the other thread. Paul Bettany would work. I think he has the right body type and face for it, and I can see him doing a brilliant German accent.

What do you think?

[Edited on 3/5/09 by OctoberHoliday]
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

OctoberHoliday wrote: I think I'll stand with what I said in the other thread. Paul Bettany would work. I think he has the right body type and face for it, and I can see him doing a brilliant German accent.

What do you think?
Too old. Paul Bettany is 37 and looks like he's 45.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

As for a "German accent," there is no one German accent. The actor who plays Nightcrawler would have to pull off a Bavarian accent, which, seeing as Bavaria has its own dialect, can sound a world apart from the northern German accents.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

http://newsinfilm.com/?p=13742&page=7

He made a Top six solo movie list....
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

The character is known for being witty, a bit of a practical joker, and a devout Catholic (hinted at in X2).
HINTED at? Beat over the head with, more like. Whoever wrote that seems to be kidding. They liked Cummings as Nightcrawler but didn't like Kitsch as Gambit. And... and Hawkman?? Eeeeesh!! I'm calling shenanigans!

I don't see how it would be possible to make a good movie with Nightcrawler as the lead. What the hell would it even be about? Wolverine's origin is just a good story. It stands alone, you don't need any background for it to make sense. Convoluted human weapon plot, very exciting. But Nightcrawler. Uhm, he's an acrobat, he runs from a mob, he joins the X-Men. The End. It's only 20 minutes long! There's no romance, no character development.

I'd rather see an X23 movie.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

The Drastic Spastic wrote:
I don't see how it would be possible to make a good movie with Nightcrawler as the lead. What the hell would it even be about? Wolverine's origin is just a good story. It stands alone, you don't need any background for it to make sense. Convoluted human weapon plot, very exciting. But Nightcrawler. Uhm, he's an acrobat, he runs from a mob, he joins the X-Men. The End. It's only 20 minutes long! There's no romance, no character development.
Major blockbusters and even Oscar winners were made with less plot than that.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I want "Uncanny Origins". Storm, nighty, colossus, the whole 9 yards. Then tie them all together to fight some fuggin monster. whoop whoop.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

NO ROMANCE with Nightcrawler? Hel-looooo!!!
Like he ever goes ANYwhere w/o a little lady action.

And you wouldn't have to stick to canon Crawler (do they ever anyway?). I could submit any number of fanfics I've seen as plot-worthy. Even take a few twists from mine, have him in the monastery a while and captured by the voodoo cult and swinging swords around as he defends the defenseless humans and meeting someone in a different time stream and ... sheez, with his happy-go-lucky personality and interesting background and deep moral sensibility, he'd be EASY to write a movie for. Asmus wanted more than a one-shot; let HIM write the dang thing and it'd be FUN. Or Aguirre-Sacasa, he's a playwright, right?

*waits for scummy, steyn, Bman or Bob to offer a hand, then laboriously climbs off soapbox with assistance; gives them each a homemade cookie*
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Did someone mention cookies?

I would love a Nightcrawler movie too, as long as it is the fuzzy Nightcrawler, not the tattooed Nightcrawler, and as long as they forget to even mention that awful Azazel retcon. Kurt's original origin was better.
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Elfdame wrote:NO ROMANCE with Nightcrawler? Hel-looooo!!!
Like he ever goes ANYwhere w/o a little lady action.
I have the perfect rebuttal: name one. One character (NOT YOURS) that you'd want to see in a romantic subplot in the Nightcrawler movie.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Totally -- Elf. Must. Be. FUZZY!

I'll even compromise on the swords if the writers* don't want to fit that in (not resigning my membership in CCCC, mind you) but he has to be fun-loving as well as having a well-formed conscience, and appeal to the ladies. The kinda guy you'd invite to a Theology On Tap session.

*yes, I realise this entire conversation is not based in reality, but as long as we're dreaming ...
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

OctoberHoliday
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by OctoberHoliday »

neling4 wrote:Did someone mention cookies?

I would love a Nightcrawler movie too, as long as it is the fuzzy Nightcrawler, not the tattooed Nightcrawler, and as long as they forget to even mention that awful Azazel retcon. Kurt's original origin was better.
Huh? Isn't Azazel his father? I thought that was his origin. I'm not sure I understand your post completely. Could you explain a bit, please?

And I only partially agree with Elfdame about fuzzy Kurt. I liked the tatoos, and the eyes were very pretty. I was jealous of Halle Berry when they were talking on the plane. I mean, just the words he used! "Someone so beautiful should not be so angry (strokes her cheek)." AH! I want one!
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Azazel of the Draco arc was foisted on Kurt in 2003. From 1975, the time of Kurt's creation, his origin was that he was the son of Erik Wagner. His mother Raven Darkholme (Mystique) was identified later. I quote from Marvel Universe:

"Less than an hour after his birth, Wagner was found in a small roadside shelter in the Bavarian Alps by Margali Szardos, a scorceress and gypsy queen. She found his father, Erik Wagner, dead of a heart attack on the road outside."
Azazel was a retcon.
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Elfdame: "I agree." *nods head*

Cookie, por favor.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

OctoberHoliday wrote: And I only partially agree with Elfdame about fuzzy Kurt. I liked the tatoos, and the eyes were very pretty. I was jealous of Halle Berry when they were talking on the plane. I mean, just the words he used! "Someone so beautiful should not be so angry (strokes her cheek)." AH! I want one!
I'd have been like "Don't tell me how to feel you self-harming nutjob." Different strokes I guess!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I have the perfect rebuttal: name one. One character (NOT YOURS) that you'd want to see in a romantic subplot in the Nightcrawler movie.
R U SRS?

Okay...

-Amanda (Jimine)
-Illyana
-Kitty

or, better yet, make up someone or take any of the number of random girls who have been on his arm, make sure they have a visible mutation, let that person start The Morlocks with Kurt in America, he becomes repulsed by "his own people" when they refuse to fight for their own right to walk in the streets like anyone else, but swears he'll protect them, the girl refuses to go, he goes to the surface to stop some credible villain (let's say Stefan but in this movie jack him up with some kind of Stryker-drug so that he can avenge his own "death") and during his battle with said credible villain, the woman who he was trying to protect dies.

There's a movie right there.
NOt good enough?
The woman he fails to protect turns out to be Colossus' sister and the two get into a small row and then before you know it you got the Magik story.

I don't know what's hard about seeing a good movie here, the big problem (in retrospect) is simply it's *too* much and *too vague*. And the Azazel shit really cut into having any kind of a decent movie that isn't too much. Y'know?
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

if a movie was evr made, the azazel plot would be pulled, just cuz people have a thing for demon/ hell and that is conflicts with his already overstated religious side.