Shouldn't nightcrawler get his own movie?

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Bamfing_Bob wrote:if a movie was evr made, the azazel plot would be pulled, just cuz people have a thing for demon/ hell and that is conflicts with his already overstated religious side.
Which is probably why Marvel now seems to be determined to validate that abomination of a retcon. Witches, warlocks, wizards and sparkly vampires and the like are enjoying an increase in popularity at the moment.
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Definitely Amanda Sefton as his romantic sidekick. She doesn't have to be his sister.....just someone he grew up with in the circus. She would also have acrobatic abilities which would make her able to somewhat keep up with him in the fight scenes (are there going to be fight scenes?) and it would be believable.

Logan would definitely be in the movie which would establish their friendship and because their personalities are so different, they could work off each other with some very witty dialogue.

A German actor would be good because he would be able to improvise and say things under his breath in German which would make it more realistic. But he'd definitely have to be limber and they'd do well to get someone who could do a few backflips and walk on a balance beam without falling.....maybe a guy who'd done some stunt work. That'd be cool!

(And I doubt the producers would want anything to do with Azazel. The X-men have been to outerspace more times than Capt. Kirk (Ult_Sm86 is logging in now to refute that statement), but the X-movies have stayed away from that aspect of the comics. I think they'd want to 'keep it real' and stay away from Demon Wars and mutants-who-pretend-to-be-demons.) If Logan was in the movie, I don't think they'd go into the magic/demon angle.....but I think they should keep Kurt's religious beliefs but not go overboard with them.

[Edited on 01/19/09 by Jeremus]
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Alright, Jeremus, you've started the plot outline ... now write your Challenge Entry! Sounds like a good one.

I suggest you watch "The Crimson Pirate" if you can find it. A movie from the 1950's starring Burt Lancaster -- who used to be an acrobat. You'll get some great ideas for ways Nighty and Wolvie can bounce around.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Thank you Elfdame! I now have a lovely picture in my head of Kurt and Logan bouncing on a trampoline.

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

I assumed that's how they did the awning scenes (about halfway thru this clip; sorry about poor quality but I didn't have lots of time to search) ... but I know less than nothing about movie-making. But that's what it looks like to me as they bounce around.

A silly, fun movie, and you can certainly see where Mr. Cockrum got a lot of Nighty/Wolvie buddy-buddy ideas from, at least it seems that way to me. And the whole swashbuckly angle.

[Edited on 5/5/09 by Elfdame]
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Cool!

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

The Drastic Spastic wrote: I have the perfect rebuttal: name one. One character (NOT YOURS) that you'd want to see in a romantic subplot in the Nightcrawler movie.
Christine Palmer. A bit annoying, but nice enough, and she doesn't come with all the baggage the rest of the girls in Nightcrawler's life have.

If there ever is a sequel, Mara Keller. If the very idea doesn't make her geek out too much, she could be a very good confidante and a source of moral support for Kurt.

I named two.

But really, I'd prefer anyone but Amanda.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Angelique wrote:
The Drastic Spastic wrote: I have the perfect rebuttal: name one. One character (NOT YOURS) that you'd want to see in a romantic subplot in the Nightcrawler movie.
Christine Palmer. A bit annoying, but nice enough, and she doesn't come with all the baggage the rest of the girls in Nightcrawler's life have.

If there ever is a sequel, Mara Keller. If the very idea doesn't make her geek out too much, she could be a very good confidante and a source of moral support for Kurt.

I named two.

But really, I'd prefer anyone but Amanda.
Neither of them was a really big love for him. He went on like one date with Christine and maybe had sex with Mara once.

When I think of a Nightcrawler movie, I do not get excited. The opposite, even. I think "oh no". :\
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Witchbrew
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Witchbrew »

Thanks Elfdame for the link to the clip - very fun. Burt Lancaster is a fun actor to watch. I had forgotten that he was an acrobat before becoming an actor.

As for a Nightcrawler movie, they don't have to do an origin story. Hellboy had a bit of his origin at the beginning, but most of the movie involved current events. NC should be similar - minimal amount of origin (if any) and then a current story. The powers that be could pick the characters to include. Romance should be included only if it fits the story line (I can't stand forced romances in action movies to "please the ladies" - but then I prefer explosions, so what do I know?).

Here's the problem: getting anyone interested enough to make a decent story. Marvel has killed off Ultimate NC. As for 616 NC, there are many comments around about how he's currently underused and not overly well written (and not just on this site). There are some exceptions (an issue here or there) but this seems to be the general sentiment. If they won't devote time to develop him in the comics, why would they devote an entire movie to him?
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." E.A. Poe
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

The Drastic Spastic wrote: Neither of them was a really big love for him. He went on like one date with Christine and maybe had sex with Mara once.
He could not have had sex with Mara, not in any same issue in which he said, "I joined the priesthood." Of course that line should not have been spoken anyway, but I digress.

The fact that neither of them was a really big love for him works in their favor. Consider that his big loves were 1. borderline incestuous and extremely deceitful or 2. ditzy alien fish-out-of-water cliche until it was revealed that she was a killer.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Angelique wrote:Consider that his big loves were 1. borderline incestuous and extremely deceitful or 2. ditzy alien fish-out-of-water cliche until it was revealed that she was a killer.
Sadly, that's what makes money in movies these days:(
......and actually, I think it's already been done on ABC's "Lost".:D

To Elfdame:
Cool! I've never seen the Crimson Pirates. So Burt Lancaster is Kurt and the short guy wearing yellow is Logan....right?:D

[Edited on 01/19/09 by Jeremus]
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Jeremus wrote: I've never seen the Crimson Pirates. So Burt Lancaster is Kurt and the short guy wearing yellow is Logan....right?
That's what it looked like to me. Sad to say, Dave Cockrum died before I started haunting this board, so I don't know for sure. But if I had to write a term paper or something, yeah, could probably make a case.

It was filmed on the Italian island of Ischia, which is where my ancestors came from, so I'd always *heard about* the movie, but didn't watch it til the Nighty fixation kicked in. :D Fun, silly movie.

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Angelique wrote:
The Drastic Spastic wrote: Neither of them was a really big love for him. He went on like one date with Christine and maybe had sex with Mara once.
He could not have had sex with Mara, not in any same issue in which he said, "I joined the priesthood." Of course that line should not have been spoken anyway, but I digress.
He could not have rammed his tongue down her throat in that case either, but there it is in full colour. :evil
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Ah, but Kurt was never actually in the priesthood! ;) So he can shake it like a polaroid picture in the movie, and no one will complain!

Hell, I wouldn't! Blue tail peeking out under the sheets? Awesome.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Hate to disappoint you, but being single and Catholic still means no sex.

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Angelique wrote:Hate to disappoint you, but being single and Catholic still means no sex.
Hate to disappoint you, but his history shows that he's banged at least two women (Amanda and Cerise) and he's never been married. He's not the perfect Catholic.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

I do not for a minute believe that Kurt would be such a swine as to take advantage of Mara. That would be totally out of character for him.

[Edited on 7/5/09 by neling4]

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

The Drastic Spastic wrote:
Angelique wrote:Hate to disappoint you, but being single and Catholic still means no sex.
Hate to disappoint you, but his history shows that he's banged at least two women (Amanda and Cerise) and he's never been married. He's not the perfect Catholic.
Hate to disappoint you, but those were written by people who didn't know premarital sex is not okay in the Catholic Church. If they'd done their homework they might have shown, if he'd done it at all, that not sitting well with him.

At least in the movie, there's a chance they could write him as a Catholic character better.

[Edited on 7/5/2009 by Angelique]

wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Dusty Bits

Post by wingyding »

Y'all, it's just a comic book. It's not supposed to be real. Whether or not he nailed a few girls without marrying them is of relatively little consequence, right?

I mean, yeesh, look at what it would take to get the rest of his character right without making him static or so polarized that no one can get behind him as the main character of a movie. I think anyone who might write a Nightcrawler movie can in all good conscience fudge a few details like this.
Neither Love nor Evil conquers all, but Evil cheats more.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I've never heard of a perfect catholic. LoL

But onsensical nonsense aside, *back to the point*, Kurt's movie could easily be filled with passion and romance.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

"It's just a comic book" is not an excuse for a lack of quality in writing and characterizing good heroes.

Passion and romance? I'm all in favor. Disordered passion and convoluted romance- particularly if it flies in the face of a character's own professed beliefs? I think we can do without those.

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I just happen to think that he could get a lot of kissing action and ladies being tempted to tempt him, and he would be the better, stronger man, and simply just take a peek. :D

You know Errol Flynn is the perfect basis of his character. However, I do see Cary Elwes a bit as well, not entirely sure why.

And Ange, the lack of quality comment? That's what I've been saying about the movies! Thank you! However in this case, I think Kurt has been pretty cookie cutter characterized, sometimes a little too much. It becomes a thing for Marvel writers to make him the eccentric religious core figure when none of Dave's designs in the beginning ever expressed this. He just loves God. Why can't a character just love God and get some tail too? Like Daredevil. He's a devout Irish Catholic, and he was with Elektra!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:Why can't a character just love God and get some tail too? Like Daredevil. He's a devout Irish Catholic, and he was with Elektra!
Because if he thinks it's okay, he's less devout and more of a cafeteria Catholic. But I don't expect Hollywood or pop culture in general to understand that very well, since they seem so insistent on pushing the idea that a leading man isn't normal if he doesn't get laid.

[Edited on 7/5/2009 by Angelique]

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

:rolleyes
Anyways,

What I'm satisfied with is the amount of interest this thread has garnished in only a few days. (Granted it was brought up a long time ago but thanks to the nooblike tendancies we have to bring threads back from the graveyard).

I think this says a lot. It says there's already a thirsty demographic and audience. We have a healthy appetite, and from what I'm reading most of us are flexible or willing to be, as long as most of his characteristics and traits remain intact. Maybe someone should write to marvel? On behalf?

*starts writing*
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Angelique wrote:I don't expect Hollywood or pop culture in general to understand that very well, since they seem so insistent on pushing the idea that a leading man isn't normal if he doesn't get laid.
THANK YOU!!!

One thing that TOTALLY grossed me out was, after a cute scene with two shy people (I think it was "The Truth About Cats & Dogs"), the end of the phone date was for the two of them to, erm, what I grew up calling "self-abuse" themselves. As if they couldn't have a great daylong phone conversation without simulated copulation to cap it off. Sheez!

I understand that Dave supposedly never intended him to be "religious," but if people like that aspect of him, no reason he can't like the ladies while keeping the little man in the firehat to himself. I think his liking women is connected to his being in love with the gift of life. To me, both aspects make him a fuller character.

But then I'm ancient and cling to the ancient ways, for I see their wisdom. (insert music from 1970's-era "Kung Fu" tv show)

back to the discussion ...