No nightcrawler in xmen 3

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

4 April 2003 on friday night with Johnathan Ross
Umm, that was before X2 came out. I daresay things have changed in Hollywood and with the Xmen film franchise since then.

The news that Alan Cumming's Nightcrawler contract option was not picked up was released on June 18, 2005 - much more recent. A shame really...

-e
Destiny
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Destiny »

The movie came out in britan on the 1st of may
the advertisments would of started in april
i checked Mr Ross's website for history and that was the date that Mr Cumming was on the programme.
"Who ever said nothings imposible never tried to slam a revolving door!!
Dumbass"
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

Yes Destiny - the date of your source isn't in question, only the validity of the information given in light of current events.

That interview is over 2 years old whereas the news that Brian Singer is no longer the director is less than a year old and that Alan Cumming will not be playing Nightcrawler is less than 2 weeks old. Things change on a movie so what was said 2 years ago before X2 even hit the theaters is hardly set in stone.

-e
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

besides, we have many, many corroborating sources for the Brian Singer no longer being the director, as well as reasons for the change.... (Studio heads were upset that he was slated to direct Superman for the competition)

I'm sorry but Zam is right, the source of your info is just too old in light of recent events.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

According to IGN FilmForce Kurt may yet appear...just not in a big role...

Maybe Storm'll go visit him in jail or something...

:storm "I'm sorry they locked you up for a crime you weren't responsible for..."

: "Or actually committed…it was only an ATTEMPTED assassination…..."
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by bluefooted »

Originally posted by Nandireya
: "Or actually committed…it was only an ATTEMPTED assassination…..."
I don't know about you crazy Aussies, but in this country it's still a crime to try to kill the president :P;)
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by bluefooted
:/ "Or actually committed…it was only an ATTEMPTED assassination…..."
I don't know about you crazy Aussies, but in this country it's still a crime to try to kill the president :P;)
I know...I was actually playing with a Sideshow Bob bit from The Simpsons...

“I’m currently incarcerated for a crime I didn’t even commit. ATTEMPTED murder…I mean what is that? Do the give a Nobel Prize for ATTEMPTED physics?”

Or something like that...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

I hope we'll at least see him, even for a cameo.

I'm still mad... and I still think they're making a big, big mistake ! :mad:mad
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Ranger Wagner
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Ranger Wagner »

NO, NO NO DAMN!!! It's impossible, please, can someone to say me that isn't true! Since the moment I Knew that it'll be possible Alan not return in X3 I have a horrible pain in my chest!!! That sucks!
Ich bin ein Bote des Teufels!
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

According to IGN FilmForce Kurt may yet appear...just not in a big role...
At least that much. It's bad enough they arent having CUMMING back. He was such a big part of X2 it goes without saying that not even mentioning the character in X3 would completely SUCK.

Even aside from ALAN not coming back i'm just not too excited about this sequel at all.... :(

Oh and Kudos to D, ZAM and anyone else who I didnt recognize who posted over at AINT IT COOL NEWS...:D
Waaaay back when MARK MILLAR was asking for fan input as to who the next X-character to appear in ULTIMATE X-MEN should be.
I remember that just about all of the Nightcrawler fanatics from the legendary MONUMENT raided his boards and made an overwhelming case for Kurt being the new character. .. :)!!
Call me crazy, but to this day I would swear that the united Elfaholics of the Monument were a HUGE part of why MARK introduced ULTIMATE NIGHTCRAWLER in the now legendary UXM #7 :D!!!

BAMF!
Bitsy
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Bitsy »

*Sees thread and feels heart get ripped out of chest*

:o:o:o:o This....how....wha.....ALAN, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME!?!?!??!

MY GOD!!! HOW STUPID ARE THESE PEOPLE?!?!? Next to Wolverine, NC was the coolest character! If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have been introduced to Nightcrawler and found this cool forum and read the comics and become and avid Alan Cumming fan!!!! I didn't even know who Alan WAS before X2!!!

*Takes paper bag and starts to hyperventalate* Ok....its still in production...
maybe something will change! Maybe Kurt/Alan WILL appear in the movie, but he'll be in the priesthood instead of the X-men and there'll be a scene where Storm is visiting Kurt and...*sees people shaking heads* FOR GOD SAKES, PEOPLE! HUMMOR ME!!!

*takes huge tub of chocolate ice cream from freezer* If anyone needs me, I'll be eating this until I gain 300 hundred pounds and die of obesity! (extra spoons in the drawer if anyone wants to join me).
Singe
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Singe »

Well... eh... maybe he'll be in the Wolverine movie? :oops:
Bitsy
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Bitsy »

Originally posted by Singe
Well... eh... maybe he'll be in the Wolverine movie? :oops:
*sees glimmer of hope* Yeah....yeah, I could see that. I was hoping for a Logan/Kurt team-up in X3, but since FOX doesn't like Nightcrawler, that's not going to happen! But that would be cool. If Kurt is in the Wolverine movie, they better not make him a sidekick! He should be more equal-status partner thingy, you know.

*Takes another bite of ice cream, then offers some to Singe* You made me feel better Singe, thanks. Of course, this won't stop me from putting a voodoo curse on FOX. :naughty
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Apparently he's not in it because they're introducing 10 new mutants and there just isn't room for him:(:(:bamf
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

TEN?! TEN more characters?? :shocked Good Lord, they won't have time to properly introduce ANYONE! BLue, can you give me your source? I can't believe they're going to bring in TEN....
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Destiny
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Destiny »

Originally posted by zamweasel
Yes Destiny - the date of your source isn't in question, only the validity of the information given in light of current events.

That interview is over 2 years old whereas the news that Brian Singer is no longer the director is less than a year old and that Alan Cumming will not be playing Nightcrawler is less than 2 weeks old. Things change on a movie so what was said 2 years ago before X2 even hit the theaters is hardly set in stone.

-e
You callin me a liar?
:mad
that's it i'm gonna run away and hide from you
:bamf
that'll teach you a lession
lol

well a thought that a contract was a contract that is legaly binding maybe i was wrong. contracts aren't what they used to be
i'll look more into it
"Who ever said nothings imposible never tried to slam a revolving door!!
Dumbass"
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

There is a difference between contracts and options

Post by Saint Kurt »

A liar? I would never call you a liar Destiny. Perhaps I'm just not getting through because you are absolutely correct. It's just that given what's happened in between that interview and now - it no longer matters what Alan Cumming said in 2003.

It is lucky for me that I detect sarcasm! :LOL
well a thought that a contract was a contract that is legaly binding maybe i was wrong.
Yes, a contract is legally binding, but what happened is that Fox did not pick up the option on Alan Cumming's contract to play Nightcrawler in a third XMen movie. Contract options are Hollywood's way of dealing with the complexities of things like "there's going to be another movie in the series but we don't know who's going to direct it, what it's going to be about, or who's going to be in it". Because the movie business can be so vague and because sometimes projects can sit for years before someone works on them, Hollywood has devised this system of "options" so no one gets screwed.

I just spent the weekend with two friends who live in LA and work in the movie business talking about this stuff. Here's a simple example involving my friend Damon who writes screenplays in Hollywood and has several scripts optioned to Fox/Searchlight Pictures:

Damon wrote a script about ... let's say ... an American Kung Fu expert who's into Salsa dancing, and Fox optioned that script for 3 years. This means that for the next three years, contractually, Fox as good as owns Damon's script. During that 3 year period Fox may or may not make the movie, they may also make changes to Damon's script if they like. If Fox decides that they want to change the script so the Kung Fu expert is played by Jackie Chan and is into ballet, Damon can't say a word about it - as long as the script is optioned to Fox, he is contractually obligated to follow their "vision".

If Fox doesn't renew their option on Damon's Kung Fu script after the 3 year obligation ends, it goes back to being his again. During the time that Fox had the option on the script, he couldn't touch it; he couldn't make unauthorized changes or attempt to make the film with another studio, it would have been a breach of the contract with Fox. Notice however, that at no point is Fox obligated to make Damon's movie. The contract between Damon and Fox gives the company the option to make the movie and that is all.

Now apply this option model to the actors in the XMen films. The contracts they signed for X2 gave Fox the option of contractually obligating the actors to return for XMen 3.

Alan Cumming's contract was not a promise of a part in the third XMen film, but rather the possibility that he might be obligated to return for XMen 3 whether he wanted to or not, should Fox chose to pick up his option. Sadly, it appears that they have chosen not to do this. Fox is not in breach of contract - they are freeing Alan Cumming from the potential contractual obligation he might have had if there had been a part for him as Nightcrawler in the third film. Alan Cumming fulfilled his contract with Fox for X2 and Fox chose not to exercise the option of contracting him to act in XMen 3. It's all perfectly legal - this is how Hollywood works.

All of the rest of the X2 cast had options for another XMen film as well; it remains to be seen exactly how many options Fox picked up and how many they dropped.

-e
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I haven't heard much about Aaron Stanford, in fact I haven't heard anything about him. I hope they choose to bring him back, Pyro was a great character and after what they did in X2, I want to see him as a villain. I really want to see Kurt though, he is the reason I read comics and I don't think the movie will be the same without him after seeing him last time around.
rad_666
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by rad_666 »

VERY BAD!!!!! I can't belive they would be that cruel. they would have had such a great chance to expand on the character as well.:shocked
Can you hear me?
Are you near me?
Can we pretend, to leave and then
We'll meet again
When both our cars collide :dance

I AM THE LOLLY LADY! :eeevil bow to meh :worship :eeevil
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

i trust in imdb.com, and nope no nightcrawler in the cast
Steff Wagner
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Steff Wagner »

Well to be perfectly honest I think we should wait and see!! the internet cood hav the wrong info, an its nt been so lojg since the last movie. but if he isnt in it, i will b raging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:faint
Kurt: you know outside of the circus most people were afraid of me but I didnt hate them I pitied them, do you know why?
Because most people will never know anything beyond what they see with their own two eyes!
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

The Internet could have the wrong information. But in this case, it is not. It's been confirmed over and over offline. Sorry, guys. :
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
rad_666
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by rad_666 »

a movie without Kurt is not worthy of being made.
Can you hear me?
Are you near me?
Can we pretend, to leave and then
We'll meet again
When both our cars collide :dance

I AM THE LOLLY LADY! :eeevil bow to meh :worship :eeevil
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Well, I wouldn't say that; I'd say however than an X-Men movie without Kurt will not be watched by me. It's not the end of the world, guys, we have comics and everything else. There are a lot of other good movies out there and all but the psychotically obsessed will move on...
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

I guess what bothers me is the way history is being repeated. And not a "good" repeat, either. One of those "we didn't learn our lesson the last twenty times so we have to screw up again" repeats.

The first X movie was surely greenlighted because the execs saw the potential for mucho dinero. Movies are a business, and if you're going to spend money on a Special FX / action film, you need assurances it will work. Xmen have always been a hot seller, and Wolvie in particular is still riding high, so they said sure. Better still, they put someone in charge who loves the series, understands its heart, and is a very skilled director. All was well.

They made enough off X1 to warrant the sequel they were hoping for. So they wound up Singer, let him go, and provided a script based off of one of the best Graphic Novels Xmen put out in the 80s (the "team" time frame they're using for the movies, it seems). The included four "new" characters: two were simply brought into the foreground (Iceman and Pyro), while the other two were new (Deathstrike and NC). NC was more of the religious one we got in the 90s, but the fusion worked. In fact, according to most of the reviews and pools, Nighty wound up being the most popular new character. Everyone loved him and what Alan had done. All was well.

And now? Now, instead of bringing everyone back for a financially successful feature that repeated past performance? Now... they're just sitting back playing ego games.

Eliminating Nighty seems like a poor choice just from demographics and sales: he was POPULAR in the movie. People wanted to see a bit more of him, from all indications. If that was the only problem, I'd just sigh and shake my head, but I'd understand.

But it isn't the only problem. They dicked around until Singer left. They didn't renew many of the actors, and even kicked off James M. out of what I can only call childish spite. They've tossed it from director to director. They've futzed around with the script. They've deviated so far from the heart of the original series that I shudder to think of what they'll shoehorn in next.

Instead of riding the crest of their success, they're hacking everything that made the first two movies work into pieces. What they'll be left with won't sell. They are jettisoning a proven money making cast, crew, director, and formula.

Insert "goose and golden eggs" metaphor here. :shakeno
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil