Moviecrawler = Darth Maul?

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

I know this was discussed in the "movie news" thread, but that one's getting a little long in the tooth and I wanted to bring something new up...

I'm wondering if this new scarred Nighty is a way to tap into the outragous popularity of Darth Maul a couple years back. :?

Aside from the obvious that Kurt's a good guy and Maul's not -- let's see:

Darth Maul
creepy name
incredible athleticism
demonic looks
tribal tattoo looks

Nightcrawler
creepy name
incredible athleticism
demonic looks
tribal scarring looks

I think they're going to use Nighty as the poster child of the new movie, because he's the most visually dynamic character they're adding. So I bet they're trying to draw a comparison to Maul, to throw people off and make them think he'll be the villian of the movie. After all, non-comics geeks don't know Kurt from Adam.

And where did this scarring idea come from anyway? Knowing exactly jack and shit about Germans and Romani, I dunno, but I thought scarification was more indiginous among dark-skinned people because tattooing doesn't show up on them. Granted, that'd make sense for Kurt, but he wouldn't be from a part of the world where that's a common practice if his cannon origin is more or less kept.

Ach, I dunno. I just hope they keep their paws of cannon Kurt. He's perfect the way he is. :love:
ahmed
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by ahmed »

Hmmmm... This is what happens when a fan thinks about a movie too much...It could be a coincidence...but, of course, it could be...
"Earthwormearthwormearthwormearthworm Jim! Hoo-ray for him!!!"

"Eat Dirt, evildoer!!!!!"

"By The Great Worm, whose segments stretch across the infinite universe."

Coalition for 'Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#8

Teen Scrawlers #1
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

Well, I don't obcessively follow the movie news. I just found out about the scarring thing today, in fact. It immediately set off a warning bell though. It seems blatent to me, and I just hope it doesn't mean Nighty's intended to be all flash and no substance, also, a la Darth Maul.

I'm generally of the school that I want to be surprized by a movie, and don't want to know every minute detail.
ahmed
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by ahmed »

Ah...now, me, I'm the type of person who buys and reads the novelization a month before the movie comes out...

Teen Scrawlers #1
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Post by little Blue Lucy »

So you're saying you feel this is an attempt to cash in on the villain thing going with Maul only with a twist, Nighty is hardly a villain. That's stupid! Not on your part. On theirs. I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to with that. Some viewers thinking oh he must be bad because he has tribal scars and has a spaded tail!:ooh: Dang that just frosts my shorts how they always have to do this sort of thing to poor Nighy! I mean where is the "Blue is Beautiful" spokesperson I know and love? Finding him in a church? Scars, inevitable moodiness, assumed villainy! Ach! He just better be good old Kurt by the end of the movie or I'll have some words! No that I'll tell them to anyone who directly counts in the matter.:rolleyes::P Okay I appologize if I'm more incoherent than usual incidentally. I'm actually missing work due to a fever!
Vala: "Hello."
Daniel: "What the hell are you doing here?"
Vala: "Isn't this my room?"
Daniel: "Noooo… your room is across the hall… with the… guard in front of it."
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"
Daniel: "No, we shalln't."
Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member #11 :engarde

:respectnc and they'll respect you, back.
ahmed
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by ahmed »

Originally posted by little Blue Lucy
Okay I appologize if I'm more incoherent than usual incidentally. I'm actually missing work due to a fever!
Summer vacation for me...School starts next week...

Teen Scrawlers #1
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

Yep, Luce, that's EXACTLY what I'm afraid of.

The bottom line in all moviemaking is to make money. They want to suck people in by the hoards, and they care little what the fanboys and girls think. They want a cool character that will stereotypically look the villian and then be proven good. I think they might JUST play up the irony and not much else. He might be pretty pathetic. Used, demonized, hiding in a church -- I'd say he'll have more in common with Ultimate Kurt than beer-drinking, swashbuckling cannon Kurt.

Which, after saying all that, may not be so bad. Even if they do a horrible job with him, he's still just ONE versian of Nighty, with better ones everywhere.

Or maybe I'm just a tad, itsy bit jaded. :)
ahmed
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by ahmed »

Hey...Maybe in the climax scene, he will snap out of it all and become his true self again...Maybe...

Teen Scrawlers #1
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Well that Would be nice... The scars turn out to be stick ons: "Heh! Fooled ya didn't I!:naughty:" That would kick!:laugh:
Originally posted by ahmed
Summer vacation for me...School starts next week...
Summer vacation... Hmm. I seem to recall something like that occuring in my salad days.:rolleyes:. The only reason I ever enjoyed Summer actually. Now save for the fact that a number of my friends (inclduing you I'm guessing) would be rather miffed by the developement, I'd prefer they did away with summer altogether!:smirk:
Originally posted by Slarti
Which, after saying all that, may not be so bad. Even if they do a horrible job with him, he's still just ONE versian of Nighty, with better ones everywhere.

Or maybe I'm just a tad, itsy bit jaded. :)
No you're not Jaded.:) It's true, and you know the sad thing is as much as I may be annoyed by the "style" of this Kurt, it's still Kurt, so since it's highly likely that he's not actually going to be evil, I'll probably end up loving him anyway..:rolleyes:
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"

Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

Summer, what's that? Ach. Summer, winter it's all the same once you're out of school. Work, work, work.

Y'know, all work and no play makes Slarti a dull girl. all work and no play makes Slarti a dull girl. all work and no play makes Slarti a dull girl. all work and no play makes Slarti a dull girl. all work and no play makes Slarti a dull girl. all work and no play makes Slarti a dull girl. all work and no play makes Slarti a dull girl. all work and no play makes Slarti a dull girl. all work and no play makes Slarti a dull girl. all work and no play makes Slarti a dull girl. all work and no play makes Slarti a dull girl.

:evil:
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Hmm.. It also makes Slarti rather insane..:eek:
I wonder does it actually make her want to axe murder her family who's trapped by a blizzard in a cabin miles from civilization?!:ooh:

Nightcrawler_o63
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Nightcrawler_o63 »

Originally posted by Slarti

They want a cool character that will stereotypically look the villian and then be proven good. I think they might JUST play up the irony and not much else. He might be pretty pathetic. Used, demonized, hiding in a church.
I think you're right :bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl: I just wish you were wrong :bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl:
http://www.nightcrawler.web.pt

BECK in Truckdrivin Neighbors Downstairs (Yellow Sweat) "Grizzly Bear Motherf***er Never Goes To Sleep".
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

Heeeere's Slarti! :evil:
jogurt
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Banned

Post by jogurt »

"I always thought dath maul and toad were the same..." lol
But serios, When they touched Kurt anyway I go and do amok I swear...
I have enought to justify now, by narrominded people who say: "How could you like him he must be a bad guy"-just looking at him and never know about!!!!
(How much is the maschine gun in the window?)
The Pyramid over Egypt links with the Pyramid
of Time and Illusion. It is run by I, Thoth or
Hermes, the Trickster and Master of the Game.
(AKA. Azazel;) )
BamfKat
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BamfKat »

Well there goes my interest in the movie... I generally avoid movie news because of things like this. Why scar up Nightcrawler? He is already visually interesting and if you work the character (and with an actor like Al you can really work the character...) he will steal the show.

Wolverine centric, nightcrawler obsessively religious and with tribal scars... Oh well, maybe I will catch it on DVD.
BamfKat,
Hey, is it supposed to smoke like that? :bamf
Booker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Booker »

I think we shouldn't worry about it too much, I mean we can't really change the outcome or anything. No use in making yourself mad over something you can't fix. If Nighty's good in the movie: WHOO HOO! If he's bad: oh well, at least he was in the movie.

The Toad/Darth Maul thing: Anyone else go "Darth Maul!" during X-Men when Toad kicked that pipe thing out of the elevator in the Statue of Liberty scene? Well, I thought that. Laughed at it, too. Go, Ray Park.
Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksman
Shadywhisk
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Shadywhisk »

Originally posted by Booker
I think we shouldn't worry about it too much, I mean we can't really change the outcome or anything. No use in making yourself mad over something you can't fix.
Good point, Booker.

I just get really tired that angry, tormented characters get played up most times. I get equally upset that characters that are generally happy and fun-loving are often shown as childish or ignorant. Kurt is such a breath of fresh air and not at all what you would "expect" by looking at him or knowing his background. I wish the movie makers could capture that; I love characters that take you by surprise!
Owner of the Bamf-mobile - the next best thing to teleportation
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

ok i havent read the whole thing, but i just want to say i think them playing him as a villain in the previews could be very cool :) i wish they hadn't added the scars.... but making him *seem* evil in previews and posters could work very well to pull people in, and once they are there, surprise them by revealing him to be a good guy.

that's part of what Nighty is, he's SUPPOSED to be frightening upon first seeing him, then you come to realize he is a real sweetheart. they are probably going for that angle for all it's worth for the benifit of people new to the character. a few well chosen shots from the movie where he's kicking butt or lurking in shadows for the trailers, a cool pic of him with glowing eyes or whatever for a poster, get people thinkig he's going to be a villain, then shock the hell out of them in the theater when he acts the exact opposite of hwat they expect.

but see, the thing with playing up the irony tho is, they HAVE to develop his character. finding him in a church isn't enough, they have to make it really clear what his personality is like. so as long as they don't play up the religious bit (which Chuck has plans to ditch, and those plans may have been passed on to the movie producers) it will be cool.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

I can't wait to get my grubby paws on a Nightcrawler Movie poster...
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Crawler »

And as for the religious thing...

My theory of what actually broke him into the movie is his WILD popularity from Evolution. And that Kurt has very little to do with religion...so...
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Darth Maul?

You mean he'll look cool, move cool, have crappy lines and end up cut in half at the end?
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Post by Dark Bamf »

If Kurt turns out to be a big hit in the movie, you can bet the scars will show up in the books. :mad:

:bamf:
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Crawler »

I sure hope the scars stay in the movie and out of the books. Incidentally...Dave...will you be seeing the movie? I know you have an aversion to alternateCrawlers...like UltimateXMen and X-Men Evolution....
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

well i think those of us who post in Chucks forum quite often (looks pointedly at Pandora) should go there to beg and plead with Chuck to do everything in his power as writer of Uncanny to keep any and all scars far away form Nighty...
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Crawler »

I think that may be a bit premature...but yeah. Good Chuck.