If You Could Change Kurt...

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

This was inspired by Drastic's and other's opinions of X2 and of Nightcrawler in X2.

If you could edit the way Kurt was represented in X2, do tell!

Personally, I would have made his hair look a lot less curly and...well...fake. I would have liked to to look a little more limp and not like Kurt had spent hours in front of the mirror with his hair gel for company.

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
TelegramSam
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by TelegramSam »

I'd switch the tatoos for actual fur, LIKE HE WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE TO BEGIN WITH. meh.
I am Dyslexic of Borg. Your ass will be laminated.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Yay! I was inspiring! ;)

You already know what I would change: everything.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Lauren »

I'd make his teeth less...sharp...and I'd get rid of those rings under his tail spade. That's about it really.
"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call." -Vash the Stampede

"No, you see I'm blind in my right eye now... So boring. You know what really makes me pissy? Grunge, Heroine chic, and dying are over. I so hate being behind the curve. Tourism's up." Brett(Alan Cumming) from Urbania
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
Yay! I was inspiring! ;)

You already know what I would change: everything.
Inspire Spastic! :p

Erm...think you could be a little more specific?

-- SheCat.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

I find the word "everything" very specific :p
i would change the teeth and the hair, you're right, the hair looks fake, with lots of gel.
Wolvertique
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Hmmmm....

Post by Wolvertique »

I wonder how Heath Ledger or Elijah Wood would look as Nightcrawler...either would make the character look different and younger. That would make his diffidence a little more natural, too.
Mystique: "How would you like to come see some really awful black velvet paintings of bullfighters?"
Wolverine: "What, no etchings?"
Mystique: "Just bullfighters...that's all they have on my motel room wall."
--Wolverine #51, "The Crunch Conundrum"

"Scott, everybody knows J-P would slap us all silly and make us little French speaking clones of him if he could." -- Bobby Drake
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by bluefooted »

I seem to be going through my 'Adrien Brody phase' so I think he would have made a good Nighty. He's got the body type of the kind of Kurt I tend to like - super skinny, large nose (okay, it's huge), sad eyes, that sort of thing. Just get rid of the sharp teeth (sharp canines are fine, though), slap the blue paint on, and voila :D
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

Definitely lose the nasty shark teeth, the tattoos, the crunchy, greasy hair, the cringing demeanor (I don't care how shell-shocked he is, that nasty cringe was just awful) and stop holding the hands like paws (he looked like he was impersonating a bear walking on its hind legs a lot of the time). Oh heck, I'm with Draz - change everything. There was absolutely nothing about Kurt that I liked in X2 other than the fact that the elf was *in* the movie at all. Actually, that's not true, I did love the awesome special effects at the beginning. Elijah Wood might not be bad in some ways, but he really doesn't look any more like an athlete or an acrobat than Alan Cumming (at least if the shirtless stuff in RotK is anything to go by - he was pretty darn uninspiring there).
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

I'm gonna add another little tid-bit; not really a problem with Kurt himself, but with the movie: Doesn't he have a tail?!?! Even when you see him from behind, in more than half the movie, you never saw the tail ((and I personally think that's his best feature))! My little brother asked me if it fell off or something. :rolleyes

~Siona

-- SheCat.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by taekwondodo
Definitely lose the nasty shark teeth, the tattoos, the crunchy, greasy hair, the cringing demeanor (I don't care how shell-shocked he is, that nasty cringe was just awful) and stop holding the hands like paws (he looked like he was impersonating a bear walking on its hind legs a lot of the time). Oh heck, I'm with Draz - change everything.
Yes, all that and to add to the 'everything' also change the accent so it's actually German, the voice should be less deep, facial features should be much more appealing; straight nose, strong chin, not-bulgy eyes, etc.. Tail should be less fake, all those barbs and bumps are icky, make the gross yellow fingernails black, fix the strangely crooked ears. Maybe have him make a face like he has a clue once in awhile.

And stop praying outloud all the time, Mr. Force My Beliefs On Everyone Else On The Plane. Seriously, even without the religious differences, if I were stuck on a plane with someone who kept up a constant stream of intrusive jabbering, there would be An Incident. He's supposed to be shy, why's he yelling to himself??

Hmm. Got side-tracked there. I guess I'd cut the religion angle out completely if I could change anything. :D
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Sorte Springer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Sorte Springer »

I would give him better hair, the gel curls looks odd I think. He also ought to have his comic book canine teeth in the movie, I really don´t know why he was given those shark teeth.
Alan doing some workout for X3 wouldn´t hurt either. That movie Magneto not is not shaped like a body builder is perfectly OK, because he fights using his magnetic powers, not actual physical strengeth.
Nightcrawlers fighting style however damands that he is physically fit, he teleports yes, but he also have to kick and throw punches a lot.

I am Ok with the tatoos though.
A ve in om de flest æ de bedst eller båre de flest.
- Niels Hausgaard
StarLightCrawler
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by StarLightCrawler »

Well looks like a people would like him to look like th comic book one. That would be good if possible that is.
As for me well i have thought on this for a while(think there was a thread asking some thing like this some where i was).
The teeeth are ok with me. Though kinda cool if he had just fangs(kinds vampire looking then and i like vampires). Though over all i would just leave him alone. Keep as is. I mean it could have been a lot worse.
Sorry for any miss typing or miss spelling.
If (sp) is by the word that means i don't know how to spell it.
Image :respectnc
My Kurt Site. Life
De kant spel fore beenz klub member# 3
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Nightcrawler ZERO »

I would have him become more comfortable with the X-men, allowing his adventurous and humorous sides to show through.
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

I like Alan Cumming, but not as nightcrawler. I think first of all, they need an acter who has some more German facial traits. Alan looks very UK. Like every one, I thought the hair was really bad. When I think of him, I think wild curls, not highly styled gel rings. I hate the tattoos also. Even if he doesn't have fur, the tattoos are horrible. I can't ever think of Kurt as self-mutilating, even if it is due to deep religiouse devotion. Which is another thing. Yeah, he's faithful, but not a frekin monk. Even in the comics, when he was becoming a preist, he wasn't that bad.

The one thing that really bothers me though is the way that they had him move. The concepted of his body being an extention of his tail was just stupid. I think someone needs to tell that movement coach that animals don't move based on thier tails, they move their tails based on the rest of their body. He just looked so stupid and dance-like. I don't think that I have ever in my life imagined Kurt gliding like a ballet dancer rather than having well defined movenments. That doesn't quite cut it for me.
"Sweet crackers I'm blind!!!!" - Stormy
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I'd change the costume towards the end of the movie, Rogue and Bobby got new costumes, why not Kurt. Also give him fur instead of scars. Make his eyes completely yellow, o pupil. Finally make his teeth like in the comics, just 4 sharp teeth.
AlanCummingLover
Lubber
Lubber

Post by AlanCummingLover »

Hi!
I'm new here!
And I'm sorry if I wrote bad something I not speak english.

I think Alan Cumming is amazing! (you can see that because of my username:)) and he has done a great job, but I think would put somebody younger! Like Ice man or Rogue! because they changed very much the story.
I think they would do a Nightcrawler Origins and put his younger side.
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

Guess I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't change Kurt as portrayed in the movie at all. Well, all right, maybe the fingernails could be toned down a bit, and the trousers could have been less dworky. I was fascinated by the scars, and the tail looked very realistic to me.
I never read any X-Men comics before seeing the movie, so perhaps it's just that I don't have all that background to draw on and therefore didn't have any picture in my mind as to how he "should" look. All I know is that he was the one character in the movie that really grabbed me, and it wasn't because he went around performing deeds of delicious derring-do, as the comic Nightcrawler does. (Yes, I have since read some of the comics, so I now have a better idea about the original character.) While I'm enjoying some of the more serious comic stories, I'm too old to really be interested in a young, devil-may-care, athletic-looking fighter of bad guys. The movie version of Kurt seemed to have more depth and underlying angst to deal with, and that's what appealed to me about him moreso than the others. I liked the German accent, being from a German-American background myself, and have no problem with a Catholic character praying at times. As a longtime-lapsed Catholic, it was actually nice to hear the Hail Mary again, especially since I could recognize it even in German.
I had neither seen nor heard of Alan Cumming before, but I think he did an excellent job with a difficult role.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Karl wrote:G All I know is that he was the one character in the movie that really grabbed me, and it wasn't because he went around performing deeds of delicious derring-do, as the comic Nightcrawler does. (Yes, I have since read some of the comics, so I now have a better idea about the original character.) While I'm enjoying some of the more serious comic stories, I'm too old to really be interested in a young, devil-may-care, athletic-looking fighter of bad guys.
Too old??? Do you have any idea how old some of us are????
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Angelique wrote:
Karl wrote:G All I know is that he was the one character in the movie that really grabbed me, and it wasn't because he went around performing deeds of delicious derring-do, as the comic Nightcrawler does. (Yes, I have since read some of the comics, so I now have a better idea about the original character.) While I'm enjoying some of the more serious comic stories, I'm too old to really be interested in a young, devil-may-care, athletic-looking fighter of bad guys.
Too old??? Do you have any idea how old some of us are????
Some of us are really old. ;) I've been a fan since 1975!:surprise
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

I'm 50, and I used to be a longtime-lapsed Catholic. And I drool over Nightcrawler (not movie version; I am a blue-fur purist). But I did like the scene where he almost murdered the Prez, and I also enjoyed him praying the rosary and gettin' all philosophical with Storm.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Elfdame wrote:I'm 50, and I used to be a longtime-lapsed Catholic. And I drool over Nightcrawler (not movie version; I am a blue-fur purist). But I did like the scene where he almost murdered the Prez, and I also enjoyed him praying the rosary and gettin' all philosophical with Storm.
I'm 54. I'm older than you. Neener, neener, neener! :D

:ooh:

I'm not a lapsed Catholic. I'm a lapsed Protestant, but I like that Kurt is religious, thoughtful and riddled with a conscience. I like the fur too. No tattoos for me.
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I'd make Kurt Red.

'Cause y'know, Red Hulk was such a success.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Oh, go fondle your magazines, little boy. :D
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

I have no idea how old any of you are. I'm 64.
I didn't mean an older person couldn't be interested in the comic version of Kurt, but merely that I tend to identify with a character, and young, athletic, bouyant characters are way too young for me to seriously identify with, unfortunately. I will admit, however, that some of the stories I've found in the comic books portray Kurt as something deeper than just an action/adventure hero and I have been quite impressed by the depth and maturity of feeling in those stories. I'm afraid I still prefer to picture him as he was in the movie though.