With all respect. Sorry X2 Fans ***Warning***

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I apologize first of all to those who seem to really enjoy X2 and may even write really good fanfics or draw fanart using the characters but...

I absolutely detest that movie. No, I do more than detest, I despise it with all of my heart and soul.

Why? I'm not too sure myself except for the annoying way they portray Kurt cutting himself up and how he's always hugging his rosary and using it like he's addicted to it like a junkie to a particular drug you know?

I guess I'm just a fan of comicverse and Evo Kurt but I just find the idea of Kurt saying, "Someone so beautiful should not be so angry," a bit creepy and chauvinistic and quite frankly, it makes my skin crawl when anyone mention that movie.

Again, if I have offended anyone, I apologize. This is simply my opinion on the subject of this so-called hit movie X2.

(Extra apologies to Lauren but I couldn't resist. It was TOO PERECT AAAARG! I made my opinions on X2 [in case you can't tell from the above, I hated it as far as Nightcrawler went ;)] known when it came out, and I've mostly avoided this board since then but must... parody... Evo post...)
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by sevati »

Tsk tsk, Jess. You mock people too much.

I liked X2. I admit some of the Kurt-ness was oddly out-of-character for him, and I didn't like his addiction to religion either. But as a whole I liked the movie.
I've left the board. Friends know where to find me :)
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

I liked X-2 too! In fact X-2 was the reason I got back into reading comics.

There were some things that bothered me about the movie Kurt. I for one didn't care much for the tattoos. I would have preferred the fuzzy blue myself. I would have loved to also have had the special effects people to have gone in and completely given Nighty yellow eyes instead of giving Alan yellow contacts. I know the reason behind not doing this but it would have been awesome to have seen the Nighty character as close to the comic book version as possible. :bamf
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

*shrugs* So you feel that way. Heck, I was no fan of the first LOTR when it came out! You have your own opinion, and that's great.

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

Originally posted by **Northstars Love**
I would have loved to also have had the special effects people to have gone in and completely given Nighty yellow eyes instead of giving Alan yellow contacts. I know the reason behind not doing this but it would have been awesome to have seen the Nighty character as close to the comic book version as possible. :bamf
I'm curious. What is the reason? They did it for Mystique after all, didn't they? Or am I misremembering?
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

Because Rebecca had an eye problem with her contacts. So they took shots from X1 and did her eyes.

Contacts just make it seem more real. That, and it probably saves them loads of money on effects.

~Siona

-- SheCat.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

Originally posted by taekwondodo

I'm curious. What is the reason? They did it for Mystique after all, didn't they? Or am I misremembering?

no...Mystique had yellow eyes but she wore contacts. They were not completely yellow. I believe it wasn't done for the simple fact that Alan would not be able to act with his eyes if the special effects people went in and completely made them yellow. Meaning, part of acting is eye contact with your fellow actors and your surroundings. Actors in fact act with there eyes. They can smile or get angry with them. Any good actor can do this. If you are a fan of the classics and old film stars they do a lot of acting with their eyes. To completely cover them would have taken away from this.

A perfect example would be when Nighty introduced himself to Wolverine on the X Jet. When Wolverine told him to "save it" the expression on Nighty's face was one of sadness. Alan used his eyes to express this. If they had been completely covered in yellow special effects, it would have appeared to us as Alan simply turning his head away.
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

Actually, I just looked at the cover of the X2 DVD and Mystique has solid yellow eyes w/vertical slits for pupils. They look *much* better than NC's washed out yellow irises. I can understand the problem with needing eye contact to act with, but it seems like digitally adding in the pupils could compensate for some of that. It's just a *much* more striking look. I suspect that the problem of not knowing where a pupil-less eye is looking probably had a lot to do with why Evo-Kurt didn't get the solid yellow eyes either though. Makes it much harder to convey emotion or even tell where a character's looking... An eyeroll's not very effective if you can't tell it's happening after all.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

LOL!
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

I liked Movie Nighty eyes!
and i respect everybody's opinion but like i said before in other threads, we should keep it civil and diplomatic ok? ;)

I didn't liked very much Alan as Nighty, i would rather seeing a different actor playing him, i think he was ok but that was all, i liked the tattoos and the religiousness didn't bothered me, but i didn't liked the fact he was acting a bit like a scared puppy the whole time.
I didn't liked the teeth and the nails, and also the tail spade, but in general i loved X2! and cant wait for X3.

And of course comic Kurt will be my favourite forever!
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

It's nice to know I'm not the only one out here who thinks they could have come up with a better NC than Alan Cumming. He just didn't look even remotely like Kurt to me, no matter how good an actor he may be. I agree about the teeth and eyes as well as the tail spade also - that thing was gigantic. It must get tiring to haul around. But better a substandard NC than none at all.
Dark Angel
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Dark Angel »

I'm glad you people have your own opinons about what you like and don't like about Nightie, but I have to say that I love MovieNightcrawler because he's the reason I became a Nightie fan. I really don't know the comics but I'm trying to learn things. I like the comic Kurt too. I know a lot of you wanted Nightcrawler to have fur and I would have like to see that too but you know how long Alan would have been in makeup. I mean poor Alan suffered enough!They could have done it by computer but maybe that would have been to expensive. I also liked Alan as Nightie he added real character to Nightcrawler as he does with all of his characters. I also like the tattoos they added a little mystery to him and if they didn't have the tatoos Alan(Nightie) would have just looked like a guy in blue paint. I think he wouldn't have looked like the mysterious character that I like. As for his eyes I thought they were breathtaking, but maybe it would have looked cool if his whole eye was yellow. Some of you think Kurt was to shy and relegious but I think since he's just meeting the X-Men and the attack in the white house the guy feels a little out of place, I don't know maybe in X3 he'll be the swashbuckler we all love. They'll explain more about him and maybe he'll get together with Storm for you Kuroro fans. I have to say I love all of the Nightcrawlers (Comic, Evo and Movie) For those who don't like the Movie Kurt and like the comic Kurt better I know how you feel because it's the same with the Harry Potter Movie for me. I have read all the books and liked the movies but there were somethings about characters and things that are not what I pictured them when I read the books but the movie also helped me picture things that I couldn't picture in the book. (I hope you all understanding what I am saying). The Drastic Spastic it's ok that you don't like X2. It's either you like it or you don't like, you don't have to like the X-men movies.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

Originally posted by taekwondodo
It's nice to know I'm not the only one out here who thinks they could have come up with a better NC than Alan Cumming. He just didn't look even remotely like Kurt to me, no matter how good an actor he may be. I agree about the teeth and eyes as well as the tail spade also - that thing was gigantic. It must get tiring to haul around. But better a substandard NC than none at all.
Exactly! that's what i think...
but i must admit Alan did a good job ;) and its hard for me in thinking on a good actor that can play nighty... O_o as much as i think about it i can't.
speaking about him being furless i didn't mind either, the fur would be really hard to make because its not as long as Beast's.
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by bluefooted »

Well, I have to admit to being kind of disappointed in X-men 1, so X2 was a pleasant surprise for me. I almost didn't go because I was afraid they would screw up Nighty :eek At the end of the movie, I let out a relieved sigh - I think they did the best job they could've.

What I like best is the way the movies have taken very unrealistic comic book characters (hold the :sausage please) and given them a more life-like feel. And I don't just say that because it's a live action movie ;) I think they looked at the character Nightcrawler and thought "hmmm, in the comics he's a charming swashbuckler. But, when we introduce him in the movie - he hasn't lived as a superhero in the relative safety of Charley's mansion. He's been out in the world, basically looking like a monster to most people. What would he be like?"

So, I think they did a good job with the character in the context of the movieverse. Also, it's nice to think about the kind of personal growth that a character like that will go through in future movies. I think he'll turn out just fine.

I'm not a big fan of the scars and the teeth (shudder) either, but I think the scars at least add a bit of interest to the character. After all, we've spent endless hours wondering what the Heck they're for :LOL And they look cool in drawings :P
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Lauren »

All right...this is just to pay me back for insulting that thing they call a hit show isn't it? ISN'T IT? No no, I kid. still, that wasn't very funny missy. and at least I put a big apology before I explained why the show was complete crapola on a stick! *grr*

Anyway...stopping myself from going over the edge.. Me loves alan...he so hot and sexy and lithe, I thought he was a good Kurt.

and as for the contacts, i think I have another reason for why he has them. If they made his eyes totally yellow, not only would ne not be able to act with his eyes, but those contacts they would use to completely cover his eyes would kinda suck! Also, on the DVD when he puts them on, the guys says "Yeah, and with yor cataract gone..." so alan had eye trouble before the movie! but that's ok...because he is so hot...I likes him anyway...

and as for the scars, I think they looked kinda cute and besides, each version of Kurt has something different about him yes?
Evo:annoying beyong belief
Ultimate: black with yellow smoke coming from eyes and mouth
Lightning Squad: Cow lick and a Nazi
Movie: more religious with tattoos
see whats I mean?

and as for the rosary, well, at least he didn't have his imag inducer and wear it with people who knew what he looked like now did he? At least he didn't go around saying yo and whacked up with a German accent now did he?!!

Ok...my rage is building again. Me sowwy.

Still, it IS your opinion and that's ok...but still, alan is pretty damn sexy!

Bow before the sexiness of alan!

Oh and bow the way....YOU STOLE MY LINE ABOUT BEING ADDICTED AND LIKE A JUMKIE! *whimpers* meanie
"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call." -Vash the Stampede

"No, you see I'm blind in my right eye now... So boring. You know what really makes me pissy? Grunge, Heroine chic, and dying are over. I so hate being behind the curve. Tourism's up." Brett(Alan Cumming) from Urbania
Bitsy
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Bitsy »

Ok, everything that Dark Angel just said in her post pretty much relates to how I feel. I am also an "X-Virgin," so to speak and the only things I know are what my friends have been telling me. I know people who were basically weened on Marvel/DC comic stuff. Before I saw the movie, I already knew that Mystique was Kurt's mother, that he was raised by Gypsies, that he later joined the Priesthood, and that he used a sword.

Ever since X2 came out, I fell in LOVE with Nighty! I started to research him and found scans of old comics he appeared in. He still seemed cool and funny and all, but....quite frankly, he was sort of dorky. :( I mean, I wouldn't have minded if Alan was more "happy-go-lucky" in the movie, and he might be in X3, but it was refreshing to see a mutant who wasn't always slashing people (Logan) or crying at every little thing (Rogue). I didn't think his religious thing was overdone at all. That might just be me, though.

To me, Movie-Nighty was sort of an introduction to physical mutants. Even in the first movie, when you first looked at Toad when he wasn't being...well, Toad, you'd assume he was a human. Imagine being Kurt. Blue skin, tail, yellow eyes: he was rejected from the outside world and the only people who loved him were the ones who knew him. If you think about it, Jesus was the same way. Yes, he was beloved and had many followers, but a lot of people (according to the Bible) believed he was a fraud and hated him. I think that's why Kurt was so religious; because he knew that God and Jesus have suffered the way he has and that's why he's so devout. Because despite what the world thinks of him, he knows he is loved by God.

Did anything I just say make sense?? I'm sorry. It's late, I just got off work, and I'm rambling like a frickin' preacher. Where's a soap box I can stand on???
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Lauren »

*brings over the soapbox* here ya go! no, what you said was nice and was a much better explanation than I would have ever been able to give!
"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call." -Vash the Stampede

"No, you see I'm blind in my right eye now... So boring. You know what really makes me pissy? Grunge, Heroine chic, and dying are over. I so hate being behind the curve. Tourism's up." Brett(Alan Cumming) from Urbania
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

Gotta say, lithe and sexy are just *not* words that spring to mind when I think Alan Cumming....
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

Originally posted by Lauren
All right...this is just to pay me back for insulting that thing they call a hit show isn't it? ISN'T IT? No no, I kid. still, that wasn't very funny missy. and at least I put a big apology before I explained why the show was complete crapola on a stick! *grr*

It is not a payback! :p i think she used yo as an example because you started a symilar thread in the cartoon forum ;)

And i must agree with taekwondodo again, kill me if you want girls, but i don't find Alan Cumming sexy, maybe he's not from my tastes i suppose, i think he's cute and he has the most lovely eyelashes i ever seen but that's it.
hilowey
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by hilowey »

I have to admit, I liked Kurt the most when he was killing the government.

I hated all that religious crap...it wasn't Kurt's thing.
"God sneezed. What could I say to Him?"- Henny Youngman

"In Los Angeles, McDonald's quickly reacted to the highway shootings. They came out with 'Happy To Be Alive Meals'"-Al Clethen

"What was the name of the little boy whose nuts grew every time he told a lie? Pistachio."-Tommy Sledge
Wolvertique
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

You think that's bad...

Post by Wolvertique »

You should have seen the reaction I got when I dared to say I thought The English Patient was utterly predictable, immoral, and boring...and when I rejoiced in the death of the main character because there wouldn't be any viable sequels, people thought I took it a little too far.

I forgive you for disliking X2 if you forgive me for my outright hatred of English Patient, and Terms of Endearment, and There's Something About Mary. How's that?
Mystique: "How would you like to come see some really awful black velvet paintings of bullfighters?"
Wolverine: "What, no etchings?"
Mystique: "Just bullfighters...that's all they have on my motel room wall."
--Wolverine #51, "The Crunch Conundrum"

"Scott, everybody knows J-P would slap us all silly and make us little French speaking clones of him if he could." -- Bobby Drake
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Originally posted by Lauren

and as for the rosary, well, at least he didn't have his imag inducer and wear it with people who knew what he looked like now did he? At least he didn't go around saying yo and whacked up with a German accent now did he?!!
Alan Cumming, lithe? :LMAO

That out of the way... it's kinda like payback, but mostly it's just me reading the post in Evo, being struck by how changing five words would make it much better, and copying it over here. LOL! IT's pretty much word for word... :D

No, but Alan still butchered that poor German accent. *sigh* Evo's voice is too high, Alan's is too low, and neither of them gets the accent sounding real. How hard can it be?? I thought anyone could do a German accent. Except apparently people HIRED to do JUST THAT. Now I'm getting mad. Heh.

And I put the apology at the end. ;)
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Siona »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
No, but Alan still butchered that poor German accent. *sigh* Evo's voice is too high, Alan's is too low, and neither of them gets the accent sounding real. How hard can it be?? I thought anyone could do a German accent. Except apparently people HIRED to do JUST THAT. Now I'm getting mad. Heh.
Well, it seems to me that everyone has a good idea of how Nightcrawler should sound. I watched the "Legend of Wolverine" video, the one with the Nightcrawler episode, and thought NC sounded horrible. But my cousin, a fellow enthusiast, loved it.

Yeah, at some points like his conversation with Mystique about her powers, it was DEEP, and that was irritating. But otherwise, I thought it was fairly good.

And, yeah, Evo's bad. :p

The accent's...well, I'm fairly good at a German accent, and sometimes, Alan's just wasn't that good. But he did have a German accent in some other show and I think he won an award in that.

~Siona

-- SheCat.
Dark Angel
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Dark Angel »

I have to say that I thought Alan's Geramn accent was GREAT, but that's just me. I can't do a good German accent. Alan used a German accent when he was in the show Cabaret and he won a Tony Award. I also think Alan is very sexy and adorable. Maybe some of you haven't seen some of the really good pictures of him. I shall find some for you.
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

I have seen many pictures of him - most purporting to show how 'sexy' he is - and they uniformly leave me cold. *Especially* the shirtless ones. He really should keep the shirt on. Now I'm no goddess by any stretch of the imagination, but then I'm not being paid to play a super-hero either. A chest just doesn't seem like too much to ask for given the context. There was nothing whatsoever about Alan as NC that said athlete or acrobat - once the special effects were over in the Oval Office sequence anyway.