With all respect. Sorry X2 Fans ***Warning***

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

I just HAVE to jump in on this, now....

Post by Maelstrom »

*leap* Ta-Daaah!! :D

Okay, I'll admit: like Sapphie, I got back into Xmen, especially Kurt, after seeing X2. Matter of fact, I saw X2 in the theater 6 times. I just don't do that. I don't see movies more than once, maybe twice, in a theater, as if I really like them, I know I'll be getting the DVD. But this one, six times? Something struck me. Something hit a chord.....

One thing to remember is that when NC *first* came into being, in the *first* few issues of Xmen, he was a rather grim character. But after those first few issues, Dave, Stan, and so on decided they had enough brooders, so they made him into a walking dichotomy. A man who looked demonic, and had likely been hounded all his life for his looks, and yet was a very friendly, romantic, and funny fellow. Someone who had come out a wonderful person in *spite* of his past.

The religion thing will always be a sore spot, it seems. As I mentioned once in chat, either the priest bit was:

1) A logical progression of faith, considering all the crap that had happened to him in the past years...

or

2) A crappy idea thought up by a hack who had no concept of how the RC faith actually works.

However, in IMHO, Kurt was incredibly religious in X2 because he was scared out of his mind! Think about it! He's always lived in a relatively sheltered environment (circus). He's a genuinely gentle person who wouldn't hurt a fly. And all of the sudden he wakes up in the Oval Office, with blood on his hands and feet (metaphisically speaking), trying to kill the president and snapping way too many Commandments! With a HUGE blank spot in his memory, so he has no idea how much evil he may have committed beforehand!

And his face is all over the media as an assassin, and everyone in the world seems to hate him, and he has absolutely no idea what's going on, or why he's done these things, and he has no way to get back home to the only people in the world who won't shoot him on sight. At that point, God was his ONLY refuge. The ONLY familiar, safe thing in his life. Remember the old phrase: there are no athiests in foxholes. Even if he was just mildly religious before, this would have anyone soul searching and praying for all he was worth.

Throughout almost all of the movie, he was kind of shell-shocked. The one point where he tried to lighten things up (in the jet), he was basically told to shut up. Okaaayyy, scratch that idea. Looks like mutants are just as irascable as other humans. I think I'll just shut up and hold on for the discernable future... :(

The scarring... well, we've got so many threads and debates devoted to that I won't bother going into it here. Though I'm sure it was done for cinematic effects, it did open up a whole can of worms that Bryan Singer probably wasn't counting on, backstory- and character-wise. Let's just say that the movie and the comic don't 100% mesh. They can't. As my mother used to say: paper lay still. you can put anything on it. There are plenty of things you can do in comics that just don't work in real life, whether it's outlandish clingy costumes or velvety fur that's 1/8th of an inch long. It's the same reason why a book will never 100% translate into a good movie. The two mediums aren't that compatible; something has to be modified. The true test of a good adaptation is how believable those modifications are, and how much of the spirit of the original you keep.

The Kurt they used was the more "modern" version. The religious one who went into priest training (rightly or wrongly). He would be the most familiar to the audiences Bryan was aiming for. All us "old fogeys" ;) who knew NC from the 70s and 80s wouldn't need to be tempted, as we've got brand name loyalty, so to speak. But the others, especially the adolescents, need something familiar. Also, considering the incredibly dark, serious tone of the movie, "original" Kurt's swashbuckling, fun persona would be rather out of place. We'd be screaming at him to STOP SCREWING AROUND, YOU IDIOT! PEOPLE ARE DYING!! A more serious, even religious persona meshes far better.

Oh, and as for Alan Cumming, I think he did a decent job. I honestly don't think *anyone* chosen would have fulfilled all our expectations. I don't personally know of any acrobats that would have the required acting ability, or the stunning handsome features of a model. (After all, no one here is complaining about how "stringy" Mags is, compared to the very buff comic character he is in the books.... ;) ) I'll happily settle for someone "close", whose acting allows me to suspend all disbelief for the rest of the way.

Singer mentioned that he grabbed Alan because of his work on Cabaret. (That was the play where he recieved an award, and where he first used the German accent.) His German accent, depending on who you talk to, was either great, perfect, wonderful, or absolutely pukey. Even in Germany they seemed to have differing opinions. I head rumors that they hated his accent in Munic, but then I heard someone say that other parts of Germany were quite happy. Can't vouch for the veracity of either, since I can't personally substantiate them, but the fact that there are different rumors does bespeak that the accent is not universally hated by the native speakers.

Personally, I think that Halle was more poorly cast than Alan. In the original movie, she just seemed to be "window dressing". She just didn't fit the role, to me. And she didn't fit any better this time around. I can't put my finger on it.... There was something missing from her performance, something that literally everyone else they chose had in abundance. She's an excellent actress, but she just doesn't seem destined for this role.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

Originally posted by Bitsy
And if what I just said still hasn't changed anything, then I'm all for kurtlover closing this thread! I came here to discuss why I like Alan and Moviecrawler and I personally do not what this thread ruining that for me.

(Sorry if I sound bitchy. I just had a bit of a rough day at work.)
I'm not gonna close this thread, because i don't see anything wrong in Drastic last post... i don't see any rudeness in her last comment, she's only saying she dislikes it.
In the other hand i think you're a bit overreacting, read about what i say in my previous post ;)
btw sorry for directing my comment to you but i need you to understand.
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if there are actual acrobats out there with the requisite acting abilities, but that actually isn't the point. It seems that they *could* have gotten someone who would have been *believable* as an acrobat - ie: had something at least vaguely resembling an acrobatic physique. Since they didn't do that, they *really* should have done away with the shirtless scene because it reveals a body that I would be hard pressed to believe could so much as manage half a dozen chin-ups, let alone a circus aerial or acrobatic act. That's mostly my big peave about the casting (besides the scars which is, as Mael said, a topic for another thread). I actually could not suspend disbelief enough to believe that there was anyway that character could be a circus performer and since they made that very much part of the movie, it was a constant stumbling block for me. I *did* like the movie and the did an amazing job on the special effects for the opening sequence but from that point on I found myself periodically thinking that there was just *no* way that the person we were seeing on screen could possibly have done what they showed at the beginning.

Hopefully for X3 he will be in a little better shape and have worked on moving in a more graceful and/or athletic fashion. Barring that, I just *really* hope they keep him fully clothed for the entire movie.

I don't have too much of an opinion on the accent - it was okay to me for the most part. As was said above, he was probably suffering through a major personal crisis during the movie, so his behavior and attitude will probably be more in-line (at least a little) with what we'd expect in X3. Hopefully a lot less cringing like a kicked puppy and a little more joking and assertiveness. Hope he loses the walking like some kind of awkward bipedal animal too and the whole holding his hands like paws thing too, although I kind of doubt it. That appears to have been a conscious choice in characterization.

Regardless, I'm still glad Kurt made the cut and was included in the movie.
Winnowill
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Winnowill »

I've read the new xmen since they came out and I liked the new nightcrawler. It got me back into reading comics again. There are things I would have changed in the movie, but everyone has their own opinions. Like why didn't Ororo have blue eyes? Why did she lose her accent? Why didn't she have the regal bearing of a goddess? Who knows. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about Nightcrawler.
I agree about the comment about Riker. I couldn't stand him, or Captain Kirk either, but thousands do. I just can't see belittling anyone who finds someone attractive that you don't. It doesn't make the other person "weird" just different.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

SIIIIIIGH!!!

You know what? This is getting annoying. I know nobody's holding a gun to my head to make me read these threads, but this is truly becoming irksome.

Drastic, we have said this hundreds of times: WE RESPECT YOUR VIEWS ON MOVIECRAWLER! Will you please stop making rude comments like that? There are tons of things I can say about comiccrawler (and believe me, there are!), but I'm keeping them to myself because I know that it'll upset people! Just because you don't agree with someone about something, doesn't mean you have to keep mentioning it over and over and over again! It's not like we're trying to convert you into like Alan or how he portrayed Kurt. Just say "I didn't like Alan or moviecrawler" and leave it at that! When you keep pointing out what you didn't like, it makes the people who do like him feel silly.

I know that's not your intention, but I'm speaking from personal experience here. I use to go on about how I didn't like a particular celebrity (for example) and my friends who did like this celebrity got really pissed at me when I kept saying what I didn't like. They said I was being rude and inconsiderate. They respected how I felt, but told me to keep my views to myself and now that I think about it, I was being rude. This board is suppose to be where we can come and discuss why we LIKE Nightcrawler, movie or comic version!

And if what I just said still hasn't changed anything, then I'm all for kurtlover closing this thread! I came here to discuss why I like Alan and Moviecrawler and I personally do not what this thread ruining that for me.

(Sorry if I sound bitchy. I just had a bit of a rough day at work.)
This thread is meant to attract people of the same or similar opinion, not annoy people with a different one. If you don't like it, I didn't make this thread for you. Satisfy your urge for "conversation" in one of the hundreds of threads on the board created for that purpose.

Here's a tip for the future: When people tell you to shut up about your opinions and just keep them to yourself, it means they DON'T respect them. Hell, go on about how great Moviecrawler is in every other thread on the Moviecrawler board, I don't care. I just won't read them. I'm not going to go around to every pro-Moviecrawler thread and tell you to just shut up, cause your opinion annoys me. Say, what are you doing here again?

For the record, this is NOT the "I love Moviecrawler Board", an offshoot of the "I Love Nightcrawler Board". It's meant for discussion, not self-esteem boosting through total agreement. And if I, a random person shooting her mouth off on a message board, can make someone feel "silly" about liking something "weird", well, I don't know.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Winnowill
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Winnowill »

"This thread is meant to attract people of the same or similar opinion, not annoy people with a different one. If you don't like it, I didn't make this thread for you"

From the title of the thread it is hard to tell what the subject is about until you click on it. Respectfully, it is not your opinion that is in question, but the tone that there must be something wrong with the people that DO like the movie nightcrawler that seems to strike a nerve in some people. I was just replying to the "most if not all" remark that was made. I've said before that werewolf in Underworld made a better looking nightcrawler, but I'm okay with the version in the United movie as well. Not meaning to argue, so I'll slowly back away now...............
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Originally posted by Winnowill
"This thread is meant to attract people of the same or similar opinion, not annoy people with a different one. If you don't like it, I didn't make this thread for you"

From the title of the thread it is hard to tell what the subject is about until you click on it. Respectfully, it is not your opinion that is in question, but the tone that there must be something wrong with the people that DO like the movie nightcrawler that seems to strike a nerve in some people. I was just replying to the "most if not all" remark that was made. I've said before that werewolf in Underworld made a better looking nightcrawler, but I'm okay with the version in the United movie as well. Not meaning to argue, so I'll slowly back away now...............
None of the last post was directed at you... and re-reading it I see I misread new x-men to mean New X-Men, like the Grant Morrison X-Men. Not the "new" X-Men from when Claremont first started writing. Not so new any more.. ;)

And originally I guess the topic was just to poke at Lauren a bit for her Evo post, which is why the heading is kind of vague. I guess I could change it to "I Hate X2 Crawler" if you think that would be more clear though. :whistle Still, once you've read it once you get the thrust.

Anyway, you're just backing me up here. An old fan who thinks they could have done better. lol, you even used "okay".
Posted by me!
I know very few "fans" who were actually satisfied with Alan. They might think he was okay, but most if not all of the people wetting themselves over him were only brought into the fandom by the movie.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

Ok i just figured out what to do:

First: i'm going to change the title of the thread and adding a warning advertence:

Second: i'm gonna ask for diplomacy and politeness ONE MORE TIME, i know i was going to close this thread but i was asked not to do it, so i'm giving it one last chance.

Third: i'm gonna ask for objetivity, its just a movie, its just a fictional character, its just an actor, evt.
Think first, think if you're overreacting or not, don't let yourself carry in the heath of the fight, be rational, people.
Just remember that when i say i hate something even when i say it in the nicest way i'm gonna still hating it, so its up to you if you can handle it or not, ok?

There are two ways of expressing an opinion:

1.- ridiculously bitching out about it
2.- being as more objetive and rational as you can.

WE DON'T TOLERATE BASHING OF ANY KIND

And, this is my final decision, i'm gonna keep an eye of this thread for two days, if the things continue the way they are, i'm not only close this thread but delete it and send personal messages with my lovely thoughts.....why i'm being like this? because i think the things are getting bigger than they actually are without reason.
And please, i'm asking it on the nicest way, don't IGNORE ME again.
Thanks
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Ok KL I'll try on that. I'm just gonna say what I've been dying to say for a long time (and similar to what I seem to say everytime a Harry P. MOvie comes out)

Nightcrawler in X-men was perfect for the MOVIE

it is a known fact that anything in book form will NEVER be as good in the theaters. If not as good it'll be worse. ALWAYS it can't be better cuz everyone has these expectations.
But you have to remember Brian Singer was not in ont his movie to please all the comic fans. He wasn't even a fan til the end of X-1! He did this movie because it was interesting and he did a second because there was so much more he could do and he loved it. Now Nightcrawler was done the way he was to a) please the fans and b) most pimportantly b, make NEW fans. Anyone who didn't know Kurt was still enthralled by ALan's performance, accent, stance, and jovial attitude.
You cannot expect to take a character from a book (or comic) and expect to put him in a movie and make him everything he was on paper. First off, your trying to reach a different group of people not just the original fans. Second, the person you pick to play can't BE the character because no one can actually be that character. You want someone who can represent the character enough to become beleivable. Mind you there's people out there who now have Alan as their ideal vision of Kurt not the comic one we have known for so long. Or the Evo version (which i think is way more immature than he really is, but that's besides the point)
Kurt fine the way he was in the movie because he was (whether we want to admit it or not) a small role. He was big in the sense of getting the story in a direction but after that he was just a useful power. Which brings me to my next point.
Brian said he wanted new powers. He didn't pick Gambit because he had a bad ass attitude which WOlverine had and pyro was scripted to have. He didn't want a kinetic blowing up like power cuz there's already Pyro, and Cyclops. Repetative too repetiative. He had scripted out Archangel but he was cut due to financial reasons.
If you notice each of the new characters (minus Lady D who had her reasons) was a different power a new idea introduced to people. They don't have to just make things float, blow stuff up, or make things come out of 'em. Some of 'em teleport or have long nasty tongues or scream really loud, or turn into organic metal.
Brian and the writers said they wanted to have a character who was in the sense ugly (boy did they acheive that with the tatoos) they wanted to show that not all mutants were super looking hotties. (mmm hot baldiness :LOL ) They had to cut Hank out in X-1 and they couldn't afford him in x-2 so they scripted in Kurt who was interesting in the sense that he was in the same problems and place Logan had been in yet came out the same person. A religious tolerant well natured guy. It's interesting to see how someone can walk away from what happened to him like that and still look like he does and be so tolerant. That's why they chose Kurt and that's why he fit so well into the story. Even people who don't get the comics caught on with Kurt's kindness and gentile. Something Brian was hoping for and GOT. So whether you appreciate his look the movie sold out the dvd was a hit and brian and Alan are laughing to the bank 'cause three people in one forum versus the whole world is nothing. The movie was a hit and Alan did what he was supposed to and that was make X-2 a complete movie fun and full of action for the whole.....ok for most of the family. (that mansion scene freaks my sister out)
-Ty
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

People always say he is tolerant and wonderful and caring in the movie but I didn't see any evidence to back that up. Where did we see him being tolerant? When was he caring? I saw: some special effects, some cringing, and a whole lot of praying.
Bitsy
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Bitsy »

*Eyes kurtlover nervously* Ok, I know what I told you in the private message, but this I gotta respond to.

Kurt was caring in the movie, whatever your interpreation of caring IS! Here are a few examples:

--Saving Rogue from falling to her death. Northstar? Why would did he do this for a girl he only knew for like five minutes? Maybe because he CARED??

--Telling Storm she was beautiful and that she shouldn't be angry. I didn't see this as flirting, but as a sensitive point of view and - in some way -sympathy. He knew that she had felt pain in her life when she said she gave up on pity and felt bad for her. (YES! That counts as caring!)

--This was a deleted scene, but when he rescued Artie and Artie said he felt sick, Kurt kept his hand on his back, as if saying "Are you all right?" CARING!

--When Storm and Kurt are inside Cerebro and Storm warns him it was about to get cold. He told her he wasn't going anywhere. Why? BECAUSE HE CARED!!!

--After they escaped the base and Kurt told Storm he'd take Xavier into Blackbird. If you noticed once they got inside, he even helped to strap Xavier into his seat. A very CARING gesture!

--At last, but not least, when Jean "died," he prayed in ENGLISH! He could've easily prayed in German, but chose not to because he felt bad for loosing a woman who was kind to him and decided to pray to God in a language that everyone at that moment could understand. He was being very CARING!

SEE??? Is that enough evidence for you? HUH??? IS IT???

(I know. Overreacting. Sorry. Sorry sorrry sorry. That last sentence there was meant to be funny, I swear. Just think Dory from "Finding Nemo," if you've seen it.)
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

--Saving Rogue from falling to her death. Northstar? Why would did he do this for a girl he only knew for like five minutes? Maybe because he CARED??
Or because he felt guilty about attacking the president and giving all mutants a bad name.
--Telling Storm she was beautiful and that she shouldn't be angry. I didn't see this as flirting, but as a sensitive point of view and - in some way -sympathy. He knew that she had felt pain in her life when she said she gave up on pity and felt bad for her. (YES! That counts as caring!)
I thought it counted as being all jerky and condescending, not to mention totally sexist, but I guess you could interpret it as "meaning well".
--This was a deleted scene, but when he rescued Artie and Artie said he felt sick, Kurt kept his hand on his back, as if saying "Are you all right?" CARING!
You read too much into it.
--When Storm and Kurt are inside Cerebro and Storm warns him it was about to get cold. He told her he wasn't going anywhere. Why? BECAUSE HE CARED!!!
I'd file this one under "guilt" as well.
--After they escaped the base and Kurt told Storm he'd take Xavier into Blackbird. If you noticed once they got inside, he even helped to strap Xavier into his seat. A very CARING gesture!
Or a respectful one. Or another show of guilt.
--At last, but not least, when Jean "died," he prayed in ENGLISH! He could've easily prayed in German, but chose not to because he felt bad for loosing a woman who was kind to him and decided to pray to God in a language that everyone at that moment could understand. He was being very CARING!
I thought it was so people in the audience would know what he was saying.

Still guilt guilt guilt. You know he was obsessed with it. Guilt and sin. Yum!

Do you think helping the X-Men freed him from having to hack more symbols into himself?
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Well your one of many people who agree differently. Brian wanted his character to be steadfast. Not neccesarly caring (cating was good0 but steadfast. A true hero who can decypher good from bad even after all that Weapon X crap, UNLIKE logan, his weapon X counter-part. Kurt was scripted to be the ultimate well rounded GOOD guy hero who got messed around when he didn't ask for it and that's what came out.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

Sometimes people understand the same message on different ways, this thread is a clearly example of that.
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by sevati »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
You read too much into it.
I read it as "supporting Artie's balance so he doesn't start to pass out and throw up on my awesomely stripey pants". But that's just me.

Bitsy, seriously, calm down. Provided it's not vulgar or flame-rude, users are given the freedom of speech. If you don't like it, there should be plenty of other threads for you to sheep with.
I've left the board. Friends know where to find me :)
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

KL what did you mean? Who's getting repetative? Is it me? By all means please tell me and I'll work on it.

Also that supporting so he doesn't barf thing. That's ok, but I mean, if he didn't do it Logan would've (or let him barf then did something) or scott or any of the x-men. It's a HERO THING to watch out for even the smallest problems. They cut it cuz it was pointless Brian felt he had demonstrated Kurt's valor enough.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

Ty: a moderator try always to speak in general, so it wasn't only for you.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

:huh

Main Entry: val·or
Function: noun
: strength of mind or spirit that enables a person to encounter danger with firmness : personal bravery

Main Entry: he·ro
Function: noun
1 a : a mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability b : an illustrious warrior c : a man admired for his achievements and noble qualities d : one that shows great courage

Yeah, courageously standing up to the possibility of dangerous puke is surely the mark of a great and valorious hero.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Some people have such a broad definition for hero.
Well... as a matter of fact... yes, I do. ;) The word "hero" covers a multitude of sins. There are those that start out as weenies and end up studly (Luke Skywalker), there are those assholes that are better named "protaganists" (anyone from Zelazney's Nine Princes of Amber series... :ick), there are those that start out good and go downhill (MacBeth and other "tragic heroes" ), and there are those who start nice and stay nice (like someone we all know and love... :love)

That deleted scene with spew-o-matic Artie can be taken so many ways. It was only a few seconds long, and NC seemed more uncomfortable than anything else, but in all fairness he *did* have a hand *behind* Artie, like he was patting him on the back to comfort him, as opposed to lifting him up to keep the spew off his own pants. Or, at least, that's what it looked like to me. The scene was dark, so it's really hard to see one way or the other....

But, as we've all seen, what Singer intended for a scene to say, and what one gets out of it, are two different things. I can understand why you were kind of creeped out at the "One so beautiful should not be so angry" line. It did seem a bit chauvanistic, on that level. But, then again, it *is* the kind of thing a swashbuckling hero would say to an angry woman. (Occasionally, those romantic swashbucklers were prone to being slightly chauvanistic. Think of the era Errol Flynn's movies were made in, the 30s + 40s, and the era in which they were generally placed, the 1600s.) I saw it as a little "peek" at his underlying, outgoing personality.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Hey now lol easy there Dras. Spaz.

Kurt came out beautifully from Weapon X. He went in as a nice guy and came out a bit timid from what he had done but he was NONE-theless a hero. He went and risked his life for Rogue he tried to save Jean and she wouldn't hear of it. Besides a hero (by dictionary terms) is one f***ed up term. A hero is a person who can stand up to danger and for some people a hero can be standing up to the simplest for of danger. I myself (though i hate being called it) am often called a hero. I don't know why. They say my surgeries and going through them were heroic cuz i was only ten and 60% chance of death yadda yadda. If you ask me it was a daily routine..(sorta) and mind you flying around in the black bird is not a daily routine, but being KURT is. (atleast for Kurt) and he was persucuted and picked on his whole life and his biggest mistake was a result of his mutation. Yet he came out clean. He's not a a clear cut hero. He has highlights and variations. He isn't a specific type of person like Punisher or Spawn who are about death and killing and that's their gig period. Or Powerpuff girls who are about good in the world and flowers and sugar ans spice and everything nice. He's about being nice where he can be and being helpful when he can be and just being there. Movie Kurt isn't comic Kurt anywyas. Your expectations are too hight. When Kurt first started off in X-men (comics) i'd think he would've been a bit skeptikal and timid too. But Movie Kurt really had to reflect that in two hours and show that he was messed up from Weapon X and set a story. I say it alot but Movie Kurt is NOT comic Kurt because he's not for COMIC fans he's for EVERYONE. He's supposed to be a tangible beleivable character who everyone wants to be their friend. He's supposed to be a smiling face behind the blue and the tatoos. He's supposed to be a nice guy who no one would want to be racist to and you would go ballitic and hate person who was. (which helped the audience hate Stryker.)
Watch the Dvd special feature on pre-production "the Incredible Nightcrawler" . It gets you into the head of Singer and Alan and the writers enough to know that the director gave you his vision of what X-men NOW are. And his vision was good enough for thousands of people.
It was wonderful scripting and directing and I couldn't have asked for anyting more. (ok maybe a sword fight...)
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Smiling? I don't recall him doing any of that. Maybe a faint smirk or two.

And came out clean? How.. how can you tell? He did not do much, and what he did do is easily interpreted in different ways. *see above* And below.

He looked like he was about to be sick himself in the Artie scene. He could, in fact, have been using Artie to support his own exhausted self. See, different interpretations. ;)

Mael, he just wasn't smooth enough to get away with saying that kind of shit. And Halle didn't have enough spirit to convincingly pull off the right kind of woman to say it to. A real heroine would have kicked his ass for that. An attack which he would have easily avoided, being all smooth and stuff! What could have been...
Winnowill
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Winnowill »

I remember when I saw that very first picture of the actor as nightcrawler. You know the one, green background, hole in the pants. I remember thinking- eww, that is SO not Nightcrawler. When I saw the movie though, my thoughts on him playing Nightcrawler changed. He wasn't what I had envisioned in my mind, but it worked. ( Except for that weird grin at the end of the movie when Kitty was mentioned. That just seemed way too contrived.) I even liked those weird stripey pants by the second time I saw the movie. I am hoping that since they show his original costume in a few of the circus posters that they will somehow use that in the next movie. I personally don't like those leather outfits. Especially Wolverine's. It's looks too tight and too stiff, it's a wonder the guy can even walk in it, never mind jump and run.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Funny you say that in X-1 they had a tough time getting over that brick wall to the statue. They were laughing at how for the first time they were together in their suits, as the amazing X-men, and they couldn't even get over a three foot high wall! HAHAH!

Dras. SPaz at this point I think your being stubborn and looking for any reason. Many people (Mael especially) have made many nice points and to argue that you didn't like the character when it was your choice how he was to be drawn out, and was close enough to the original, well to argue just makes it more relentlessly drawn out. At some point both sides are gonna be grabbing at useless tidbits to prove their point. (That artie sequence is proof) why don't we talk about ways Kurt wasn't like Comic Kurt and start comparing and contrasting from there. (before a violent fight brakes loose) :hrumph :halogrin
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Mael, he just wasn't smooth enough to get away with saying that kind of shit. And Halle didn't have enough spirit to convincingly pull off the right kind of woman to say it to. A real heroine would have kicked his ass for that. An attack which he would have easily avoided, being all smooth and stuff! What could have been...

Well, considering she had already blown the beams out from under him with a lightning bolt, they probably figured another fight would have been too repetitive. ;) And I kind of have the idea he wouldn't fight a woman, anyway....

I can imagine the way that kind of scene would play out....

:storm *grabs his fingers and twists* You pig! You (censored censored)---

:shocked *teleports out of her graps while his fingers are still intact* Uh... Fraulein....

:jean *turns around* Um, Storm?

:storm *firing low level lightning bolts, which NC keeps dodging* I should have aimed at you, not the beams! Keep your hands off me you creep!

:jean Storm? Are you on crack?

:urg *thought* When am I going to learn to keep my big mouth shut?
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I pictured it as a more slapstick, Indiana Jones type thing, but that would work too. Kick his ass Storm! Fry that sucker!

Why discuss things if you aren't going to pick them down to the most niggling little detail? I'm not bored yet. If you're bored, start a new thread. Or, use your own suggestion to get a different conversation started in this one. I like the current topic myself. Besides, I haven't said anything I'd consider even remotely mean for, like, pages now. Well, except maybe the kick his ass and fry him thing. :toothy