Do people *know* that you're a Nightcrawler fan?

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
prettyminotaur
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by prettyminotaur »

Hahhahaahah! I've gotten the "furry' accusation a couple of times as well. Silly people...
Bamf, suckas!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Well, it tends to come as a huge shock to absolutely no one that knows me when they find out I like Nightcrawler. Considering my husband and I march in parades as X-wing pilots, I once dressed my six month old baby up as "0.7 of 9" and took her to a Star Trek convention, and I designed my wedding dress specifically so I could wear it again and again to Ren Faires, reading comic books and writing Nighty fics is one of the least weird things I've ever done.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Heh. I love costumes.

I pretty much wear my heart on my sleeve when it comes to my favorite comic book character, costume, and sport:

Between that costume, and my role at this site - I think people can tell. ;)

I don't have time to make fancy costumes like that anymore with vet school, but I did get to dress Darick Robertson's little boy as Popeye last Halloween, and that was really cute.

-e

(PS - I've got an X-Wing costume too. :))
prettyminotaur
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by prettyminotaur »

Oh my, that's beautiful!!!

So, do you actually fence? I've been an avid sabrist/epeeist for the past 7 years...thanks to the inspiration of Kurt...I'm even coaching fencing at a college now!
Bamf, suckas!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Zam, if I may quote, "Impressive. Most impressive." :vader

And yes, there are quite a few fencers on this board. I'm also a sabrist, but a bizarre condition that affects my hands has induced me to learn the other weapons. (More fun to be adaptable. And this hopefully means I'll be able to fence anyone in our salle.)
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

prettyminotaur
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by prettyminotaur »

Yay! And here I thought Kurt-crazed fencers were rare...

No saber! How can you stand it?!?! I love epee quite a bit...but without my saber(lovingly known as Whippy Bitch), I don't know how I'd survive. Of course, the new USFA guidelines deem Whippy Bitch too, erm, whippy for competition...but still. I want to get a Prieur.

Did anyone else think it was a little strange that Kurt and Kitty were fencing epee in Nightcrawler? I can only assume that epee's Kitty's weapon...Kurt definitely has the saber physique. And last time I checked, didn't corps a corps stop action? ;)
Bamf, suckas!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Yeah, I always thought Kurt was a sabrist. Not that I'm biased or anything. ;) By the way, my sabre abilities have only been really compromised in my left hand. Right handed, I'm still okay for sabre. But I digress. I didn't really find it strange that Kurt would fight epee with Kitty. That would probably be Kitty's weapon of choice, but Kurt would be adaptable.
Yeah, normally, that corps-a-corps would stop the action. But we've seen in other issues how Kurt would play a bit fast and loose with the rules.

prettyminotaur
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by prettyminotaur »

Yeah, I'm sure Kurt's adept at all three weapons. But man, I'd love to see him cut loose with some saber. I adore that he fences...I also have to give mad props to Darick and Roberto for having him fence in the solo series. It's always alluded to, but so seldom seen!
Bamf, suckas!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

Originally posted by prettyminotaur
Did anyone else think it was a little strange that Kurt and Kitty were fencing epee in Nightcrawler? I can only assume that epee's Kitty's weapon...
What gave you the idea they were fencing Epeé? Though they were dressed in proper "dorky white outfits"tm they didn't particularly seem to be fencing in any particular style that I could discern. Plus Kurt's got a small parrying daggar sitting on the floor next to him in one panel.

I don't think their fencing any of the 3 weapons. I think they're fencing "comic book swords". What other style would give you the match by putting a big gash in your opponent's jacket? :D

-e

(PS - to put this slightly on topic - the weapon I am holding in my photo is a rapier that I used to restoration rapier practice with. I'd brought it to fight Captain Jack Sparrow:
This was all back in the fun days when I used to play Nightcrawler every Saturday at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.)
Lysistrata
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Lysistrata »

Hey! I own those pants! I use them as part of my pirate costume. :LOL

BTW - your Nighty looks fantastic. I love the shot of you with Sparrow.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I was judging by the guards. At any rate, I figured it was more "comic book" fencing, but it was actually kind of fun this time picking out those little inaccuracies that a non-fencing reader might not notice. (Like just what kind of jacket would Kurt wear?) The only thing that bothered me was how Emma mouthed off about how "boring" it was.

theatrepirate
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by theatrepirate »

Originally posted by prettyminotaur
Man, just call me Ms. Thread Reviver... :blush

Everyone at my workplace(at a small liberal arts college) is bewildered by the many Nightcrawler(and Radiohead) posters adorning my office. My parents have known for years, however...I hand-sewed my own Nightcrawler costume as a kid, and insisted upon wearing the bottoms(which had a tail attached) around the house until they wore out completely.

Nowadays, I settle for lots of Kurt posters, my X-Men Legends Kurt action figure, posting on this board, Kurt computer wallpaper, obsessive comic reading, and a picture of him under my myspace "Who I'd Like To Meet" section. I'd list him in my top 5 celebrity crushes, no contest. :love

Ha Ha! I can relate completely! My family just shakes their heads about my love for Nighty (including my hubbie), but I have a few friends with their own unique obsessions, so they accept me. My office at school is another matter. My students have no doubt of my interests (pirates, disney, LOTR, etc.) And I have an entrie wall devoted to the blue elf. It's great, because my kids have jumped on board the X-Men wagon as well. I get drawings of Nightcrawler weekly to add to my walls, and I now have extra copies of comic books and figurines that they have gotten me. My Xanga.com online journal is devoted to NC, and...of course...my Halloween costume for our drama banquet. It is nearly complete, so I shall post a picture soon. I think the kids are more excited to see me dressed up as Kurt than than I am! (even my hubbie is pretty impressed with how the costume turned out, so I think he is secretly excited to see me in it...though I freaked him out when I was Jack Sparrow last year, so I don't know what he'll think!)
-theatrepirate ;)

...and we had the idea, that if we were really good, God would permit us to be pirates." - Mark Twain
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

I have just about every action figure and statue (still waiting on the new Bowen one...grrrrr)...last time my niece visited she said "You've got too many Nightcrawlers." To which I replied...."You can never have too many Nightcrawlers!"
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
rad_666
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by rad_666 »

Originally posted by Nandireya
I have just about every action figure and statue (still waiting on the new Bowen one...grrrrr)...last time my niece visited she said "You've got too many Nightcrawlers." To which I replied...."You can never have too many Nightcrawlers!"
too true. There are just too many good pictures on the web to be ignored...:worship
Can you hear me?
Are you near me?
Can we pretend, to leave and then
We'll meet again
When both our cars collide :dance

I AM THE LOLLY LADY! :eeevil bow to meh :worship :eeevil
prettyminotaur
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by prettyminotaur »

---yup, I was going by a vague memory of the guards, without the book in front of me...

so, why was Nightcrawler at the museum of science and industry every saturday? that sounds pretty awesome...!

My favorite Kurt figure is the X-Men Legends one! 41 points of articulation! that's how it should be!!!!
Bamf, suckas!
luvnightcrawler
Lubber
Lubber

Post by luvnightcrawler »

It was for a movie exhibit called Action. I saw her there, her costume was incredible. Me and my cousin basically followed her around for a while without her noticing while I tried desperatly to explain who Nightcrawler was and why he wore stripey pants.

You should have seen me when I furst saw her there..."Oh my God, Meghan, look, its Nightcrawler!! What do you mean who is he?!? Only the greatest movie character ever!"
:pokeThe Realm of the Stripey Pants :poke

I apologize for any spelling mistakes. It's kinda hard to type in a straight jacket......
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

My adventures as Nightcrawler in Chicago are partially explained here:

How I got to be Nightcrawler for a Summer...

What does Nightcrawler have to do with Thanksgiving?

And this is a thread about the creation of the costume. It's basically my intro thread here at Nightscrawlers. (My other "parallel" intro thread I suppose is this monsterous fan fic that I wrote while making the costume: Even Angels have Scars - Hidden within the story are some of the true life experiences that happened to me while going to and from the museum.)

And finally - my own construction record.

There you have it. The thing is, I liked Nightcrawler, but what I was really fascinated with was the costume and his circus background since those were the things we had in common. It was while constucting and later performing in the costume that I truly fell in love with the character (and with Nightscrawlers :) ).

-e

On a who other topic:
(Like just what kind of jacket would Kurt wear?) The only thing that bothered me was how Emma mouthed off about how "boring" it was.
A regular dorky white jacket? He could just push the crotch strappy thing over to the side of his tail. (And since they're not fencing electric he's not wearing a lamé so he has only one crotch strappy thing to deal with. Crotch strappy thing. That's the technical USFA term.) :)

I thought the thing with Emma was quite clever. I've often felt that for the uninitiated, watching sport fencing has to be really dull. There really isn't any buckling of swash, they're limited to the strip just going back and forth, there's all that point in line stuff which makes no sense at all if you don't know how to fence... It probably was pretty dull for her.

(cool avatar TheatrePirate! :D)
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Well, there was an inconsistency from panel to panel regarding Kurt's jacket. As for Emma, I just felt like whacking her over the head with my sabre and saying, "Stop flinching. Stop flinching. You think it's so boring now?" Of course, I don't think we're supposed to like Emma too much anyway, right? :evil
And then again, I'm the sort that finds many of the more common spectator sports "deathly boring," too, so who am I to judge? Baseball? Too many people sitting around doing nothing. Basketball and American football? Fun to play, tedious to watch. :shifty

prettyminotaur
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by prettyminotaur »

Hahhahahah! Great info on the costume/your adventures, Zam! I'm fascinated...makes me want to make another Kurt costume, to replace the classic Uncanny one I handsewed for myself as a kid.

Yeah, I would have liked the fencing scene to be a little less SCA and a little more realistic. But Kurt fencing, anytime, anywhere, is a treat. People who flinch are the best! Because they're easy to school! I knew this one girl, a sabrist, she'd make this horrible grimace before she struck, every time...hello, telegraphing! pow!
Bamf, suckas!
Art_Mage
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Art_Mage »

Not on first glance at least; I'm mostly seen as a regular X-men fanatic, somewhere in between Colossus and le Fuzzy Elf, but close friends acknowledge the fact. :D My brother MORE than knows I love Nightcrawler, and he abhors it although he tolerates it at the same time just as I tolerate his fetish for Juggernaut and Magneto. My mom couldn't care less and dad's somewhat amused (He's 56. He still reads X-men...and he crits it too. :nodyes ) My sketchbook is filled with Kurt drawings and doodles so, its pretty much a red light. I've no qualms telling anyone since the first time I ever told my friends on my obsession for Kurt, I was met with a jumble of
"Yeah, he's cool...but Bishop tops it!!,"
" I liked him better in the comics than the movies...,"
"How about Gambit? (Or Wolverine or Colossus or Cable or....)."

Maybe its because I'm in an arts course; There are no geeks. There are only comic enthusiasts! :smirk
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

I havent told anyone, and i dont. If somebody finds out. Its same to me. :)

saber? in xmen legends 2, he has two katana's, looks to me like it.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I'll have to see it. Of course, Kurt would be adept at Florentine style. But two katanas? I mean, one katana usually takes both hands to wield properly.

Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

maybe, but when you slash or just stab with it you only need one hand.
And katana doesnt weight so much anyways.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Regardless, the katana is more effective with both hands on the grip.

Silent Crawler
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Silent Crawler »

Well, being that I dressed as Nightcrawler for Halloween 2 years in a row, and I have a bunch of figures and an artist sketch hanging on my wall, it's probably fairly evident. :D