X3, Storm-free?

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Mad With Power
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Mad With Power »

I was visiting the Marvel Directory the other day, and noticed something interesting in their July 27 newspost.

It says, "At Comic-con, Halle said that she didn't think that Storm was going to be included in X3."

Now, Stormfans, before you freak out, think a minute.

How could they possibly remove her without making an in-story reason for her disappearance? They couldn't. If Storm was to be removed, they'd most likely need Halle in to film her "I'm leaving for Africa" or death scenes, or whatever. If they left her out without explanation, it would look really bad, and if they just said, "oh, Storm's off in Africa," it would look almost worse.

But if she had been called on for those scenes, Halle wouldn't be saying she wasn't slated to be in X3 at all, would she? Singer wouldn't tell her "well, we're getting your character out of the way right off the bat, but we'll need you for a couple of days." Oh, no. Not with her Oscar-winning temper.

I think that Halle hasn't heard about Storm in X3 because they're not asking Halle back. For all of those who think she's not an optimal Storm, this should be cause for celebration. I think that she knows perfectly well this is what's happening, too, which is why she's allowing the assumption that her involvement means Storm's involvement, and that people should agitate for her to show their support for Storm.

I say pshaw! They're looking for someone else, and thank Gott.

I've actually got another "Perfect Storm" lined up -- I've been mulling it since I found out how tiny Angela Basset is.

Nightscrawlers, meet Aisha Tyler.
http://us.imdb.com/Name?Tyler,+Aisha
http://www.btdo.net/aishatyler/picindex.htm
6 feet of beautiful sassy woman. :love
And 32, so not too too young. (Though she doesn't look 32 at all.)

You might know her as the host of "5th Wheel," if you watch bad TV like me, and she's also apparently semi-regular on Friends.

Anyway. It's all wishful thinking, but I thought I would share.
hilowey
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

X3, Storm-free?

Post by hilowey »

Hmm.....she does look like a storm. Thanks for the info MWP.
"God sneezed. What could I say to Him?"- Henny Youngman

"In Los Angeles, McDonald's quickly reacted to the highway shootings. They came out with 'Happy To Be Alive Meals'"-Al Clethen

"What was the name of the little boy whose nuts grew every time he told a lie? Pistachio."-Tommy Sledge
Ashtoreth
Lubber
Lubber

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Ashtoreth »

According to various sources (some more respectable than others), Halle Berry has been cited as saying that she feels the part of Storm is beneath her, or some such words to that effect. I think it may very well be a combination of Halle's lack of enthusiasm and the rethinking of an initially poor casting choice.
If you're feeling sinister,
Go off and see a minister -
He'll try in vain to take away the pain of being a hopeless unbeliever.
--"If You're Feeling Sinister", Belle and Sebastian
Mad With Power
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Mad With Power »

Oh, absolutely. That's why I'm crossing my fingers that this is the first sign of her replacement.

Let's be precise, however... I don't think Halle thinks Storm as a character is "beneath her." In fact, it seems she has been clamoring for a larger role, and it's the size of the role that she considers to be "beneath her." (She has commented in interviews that her role size didn't change on the other side of getting an Oscar.)

Of course, because it's an ensemble movie, I can't see what exactly she wants the writers to do. "X-Men: Storm's Story?"

I think it would be wonderful if a lesser-known actress like Aisha got a chance to jump onto the big screen with the X-folk, freeing Halle to do the hair-tearing, ultra-dramatic, heroine roles she clearly craves.
Melylott
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Melylott »

I think Aisha would be a great choice. She looks like a Storm. Halle doesn't. But
:abyss Abyss's Number Two Fan! I Love Nils!!! :abyss
:austen
"The Shire is THAT way!"
---Frodo, One Ring to Rule Them All 2 (Greatest Flash EVAH!11)
#1 Fan of Blue!Jill. Sorry Bamfette. ^_^ :jillian
I love Wither!
Melylott
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Melylott »

Arrgh! I didn't mean to post that. GRRRRRR. What I meant to say, was she looks like a Storm but not the comicversion. She has the softness that we've come to associate with movie Storm. But none of the arrogence. Go enjoy being Catwoman Hal. This kitten doesn't want you back. *hiss* :kitty
"The Shire is THAT way!"
I love Wither!
crow
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

X3, Storm-free?

Post by crow »

I heard that Halle did get signed for X3. I hope that she is in it.......As Ive said before.......I don'tlike change. But if we do have to get a new Storm....then that will be ok....I guess.
~CROW~
Mad With Power
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Mad With Power »

Where did you hear that, crow? I heard exactly the opposite, so I'm curious.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Maelstrom »

Something I noted early on is that while the rest of the cast gave interviews, Halle really kept to herself. You saw Jackman, Cummings, Steward, Ramos, and so on in a lot of places, but I never heard Halle's name mentioned once. Interestingly enough, when I picked up one of the "souviner" X2 magazines, chock full of interviews and behind-the-scenes stuff, they had three, sometimes four, pages for each character, along with the interviews. For Storm, they had a two page spread, most of it a one-page glamour shot, and NO interview at all. I could tell the poor writers were doing all they could to fill in the space with what they had.

So this makes me wonder: just why would a woman supposedly accustomed to the spotlight shun the mike all of the sudden? Everyone else, especially Hugh, seemed very interested, even excited, about what they were doing. Her actions made her look like a spoilsport, the one sulking kid in the corner while everyone else has fun. Was she really, really busy doing another movie at the same time?

Hell, even I don't buy that last premise. Ian did LOTR and X-men at the same time, and he still had time for the limelight on both sides of the ocean.

It all seems so sad, too, after seeing the extra footage on the X1.5 DVD. She seemed to be laughing and enjoying herself just as much as anyone else in 1998-1999. What could have happened to change her so in three years?

Did she somehow contract Oscar poisoning?
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Mad With Power
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Mad With Power »

Yes. Yes. I noticed the same thing on the 1.5 extras... when they gave her that cake for her Emmy win... and she thanked them all for being her family...

I guess developing an overinflated sense of self-importance will wreck your relationships with a production of people who are still working together... but who can blame her, really. Before she won that Oscar, black people weren't allowed to breathe in public.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Maelstrom »

Her Oscar was an incredible achievement, to be certain. It broke down a lot of racial barriers that no one wanted to admit even existed. But there's something wrong with letting that achievement make you into a diva. We've all read stories about someone who comes from a poor/oppressed/otherwise miserable background, gets recognized for their talent and elevated to equal status, and becomes something of a spoiled brat. Usually, those kind of people are treated with derision and scorn (and rightfully so) for forgetting, even deserting, their roots.

Success shouldn't change someone in that manner, but, unfortunately, it does. It's just very sad to see, that's all. :(
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Mad With Power
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Mad With Power »

See, this is the thing. I don't think that she is to be credited with any of it. The Academy decided to make a statement that year, and she was the (half-)black actress nominated.

This is not to disparage her performance. She was wonderful, as I'm sure were all the nominated women. But acting like it's the best thing to happen to black people ever? Come on now. It's a damn Oscar. How about celebrating black doctors, lawyers, CEOs?
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Maelstrom »

I think it's more of a "public acknowledgement" thing. Hollywood is known for being a bastion of liberalism in otherwise conservative So-Cal, and the very idea that racism could exist there seems especially unpalatable because of that.

Everyone knows the glass ceiling that minorities are subject to in the other fields. It's well documented. (There aren't many female CEOs, either: it think we make up 8% of the field.) But no one wanted to admit the ceiling could still exist in modern-day Hollywierd. Well, yes, Lena Horne was touted as a white actress in the 40s because blacks didn't get leading roles, but we're so much more civilized now. Those icky things just don't happen here. The fact that there was such a flap over the Oscar kind of showed that wasn't really true.

I think that was the heart of the matter. Whether you believe the Academy was only being politically correct, or that it had no choice but to actually give a black actor and actress their due this time around, it showed some of the hypocracy in Hollywood. Halle was a catalyst for this, but it wasn't really about her. It was about public perception, and we all know what a nasy, tangled mess that is. :ick
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Northstars Love »

I have a problem with replacing Halle. I don't like the idea of someone coming in at movie 3 with a whole different look and a whole different style portraying Storm. It was the same with Batman. I don't think they did that great. They kept changing the Batman. Now they are doing the same with Superman. I can only see Christopher Reeves playing Superman in the theater. The best way of writing her out of X3 would be to mention she is somewhere else(off screen). Like fighting for mutant rights or looking for other mutants. I like the Storm character but I don't want to see a different person play her either. It's just won't be the same. IMO Halle may not return because she doesn't want to be type cast. Remember when Tina Louise(Ginger for Gilligan's Island) refused to do the reunion shows because she didn't want to get type cast? What happened to her? Nothing! Didn't see her do hardly anything. She hated the whole show. She thought it was beneath her as well. Know what? It's a job! But it is Halle's choice not to play her.
Phoebe Mittens
Lubber
Lubber

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Phoebe Mittens »

Originally posted by bamf!nightcrawlerI can only see Christopher Reeves playing Superman in the theater.
Well, I don't think he'll be getting back into the spandex any time soon, I'm afraid. And you can't expect the people who own the right to Superman to just give up on squeezing more cash out of the franchise - the world doesn't work like that.

The new Superman film will be a new film, not following on from the last ones. If we've got that many Alternate Universes out there I don't have a problem with actors changing in a new film.

And although if they recast Storm it'd be still in the same "universe", I'll make an exception for Halle. ;)
LadyBamf
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

X3, Storm-free?

Post by LadyBamf »

As much as I don't like Halle I would rather see her not replaced just because already we are the third movie in although at the same time I wouldn't be broken-hearted if she did leave.

Though this opinion may be kinda useless my friend suggested that Aaliyah would have made a perfect Storm. She had the look and she did a good job playing a vampire 'goddess'. She carried herself in a way that remind me (once my friend mentioned it) of comic-Storm's personality. What do you think?
"I solemnly swear I am up to no good." -The Marauders

"Those who hear not the music...think the dancers mad." -Unknown

"Now, I'm getting into the coffin....and you will get in on top of me if you know whats good for you"
-Lestat
Vee_EmmCee
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Vee_EmmCee »

I actually have really liked Halle from interviews and so on, but is she really like this now? Thinking X-men is "beneath her" because she's won an Oscar?

Hmm, well, I think it would be weird to replace her. Just because, now they've got 2 movies under their belt...But Aisha Taylor is beautiful and a great actress and I can see her in the role of Storm.

Anyway, we'll all just have to wait and see.
"The hate of another person is sick and disgusting, and I'll never understand how the word hate is thrown around like it's nothing. Because it's something, something ominious, and in the end, it will destroy us all. "
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

X3, Storm-free?

Post by kurtlover »

Thanks for the info!
actually i feel a bit relieved...because i never liked Halle as Storm, no ofense i like her...but she's not Storm.
Ororo Munroe is a very strong and powerful woman and Halle on the screen projects a weak and scared Storm, her attempt was puny, meh, when i saw her at the first movie i got kinda mad because she's my fave x-woman, i hope they can find somebody more suitable to the character.
Thanks for the info MWP!
Melylott
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Melylott »

Yeah. I agree with the people who said it didn't seen like she was having FUN. Hugh was like a kid at Christmas at those interviews! It was so funny. Alan, Ian, and all the others seemed to take it seriously, and let's be honest here, Ian and Patrick Stewart are more experinced than Halle by a landslide. It wasn't beneath them! And on the X 1.5 DVD she said how excited she was to do an esamble piece. Hmm...
"The Shire is THAT way!"
I love Wither!
crow
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

X3, Storm-free?

Post by crow »

TO::Mad With Power

Sorry it took so long to get back to you....
I heard it from my brother in law....He's really BIG into the X Men & he told me that Halle & Allan both resigned for the X3..... So Im not really sure. & Halle is one of his favorite actresses.....so Im not sure where he heard it.
But if he was wrong.......I really hope not....cause I hope to see her again as Storm.
~CROW~
Mad With Power
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Mad With Power »

People, come on now. Ororo "leaving for Africa" would be infinitely worse than Storm being replaced.

Take the Bond movies. James Bond gets replaced all the time, and he's the star of a decades-old series. Storm is a supporting character in an ensemble film, and replacing her wouldn't impact the franchise in the least.

kurtlover, you nailed it for me. Halle seems soft and scared to me, not regal and angry. And BB, I know that Halle must be a good actress, because everyone keeps telling me she is, but I cannot for the life of me see any difference between her performances in X1 and X2.
LadyBamf
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

X3, Storm-free?

Post by LadyBamf »

You're right MWP, Storm isn't a major character so maybe it won't affect the movies much at all and she is soft, nothing like the regal Storm of the comic-verse. While it may end up annnoying some, I think she might as well go. I'd rather she her replaced. (That and I'm tired with her complaining lol)
"I solemnly swear I am up to no good." -The Marauders

"Those who hear not the music...think the dancers mad." -Unknown

"Now, I'm getting into the coffin....and you will get in on top of me if you know whats good for you"
-Lestat
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by Mad With Power
Of course, because it's an ensemble movie, I can't see what exactly she wants the writers to do. "X-Men: Storm's Story?"
Ensemble? I thought it was "X-Men: Wolverine's Story"..."X-Men 2: Wolverine's story continued"...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Bamf_Girl
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Bamf_Girl »

Originally posted by Nandireya..."X-Men 2: Wolverine's story continued"...
With a dash of Nightcrawler ~_^ *Skips away humming*
I am the Terrible Toad King!
Yes you are!
W'o the 'ell are you?
Your Terrible Toad Queen of course

TOAD FANS UNITE!

*Jumps up and down* I'm OMWOS! If I RP with ya, drop me a line!
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

X3, Storm-free?

Post by Maelstrom »

Originally posted by Mad With Power
People, come on now. Ororo "leaving for Africa" would be infinitely worse than Storm being replaced.

Take the Bond movies. James Bond gets replaced all the time, and he's the star of a decades-old series. Storm is a supporting character in an ensemble film, and replacing her wouldn't impact the franchise in the least.
That's exactly what I was thinking: the ever-evolving James Bond. If they can get away with that for a major, solo character, they can certainly do it for someone in an ensemble.

To play devil's advocate (a position I fulfill with relish :evil ), Halle's hardly the first popular actress to be hit with a "she was such a bitch on set" stigma. Sigourney Weaver, a woman with a reputation for being a sweet, congenial, accomidating, and professional lady, once caught serious shit for "acting like a primadonna" during the creation of Aliens 3 (YECH :yech ). Supposedly, she asked for an inordinant amount of money, acted snarly, swore she would NEVER play Ripley again, etc., etc. But looking behind the scenes, you could see exactly why she was acting that way. They went through three directors while filming, and dozens of scripts, including one written by William "Neuromancer" Gibson, which was rejected for being "too cyberpunk"! I ask you: what is more cyberpunk than the Aliens universe?! AND she had to shave her head, and the movie was a piece of shit to boot. She signed up for one thing, and there were so many changes that she wound up forced into another movie entirely. Man, that'd turn me into an A-1 bitch any day of the week.

Not that the horseshit that went on in Aliens 3 happened with X2. Far from it. I heard that X2 went very well, with cast and director getting along with few hangups. (OK, so Singer has a temper. It's not as if he threw tantrums or vases. Everyone has their personality quirks, and he was under a lot of pressure, so I'm inclined to give the man several breaks.)

What this comes down to, believe it or not, is that I do have some sympathy for Halle's position. After all, it is her right to pick and chose what roles she plays. It isn't right to insist she plays a role that she doesn't like just because of popular demand.

But where my sympathy comes to a screeching halt is when she makes statements like "they won't have Storm in X3" just because she won't be in the movie. That is nothing short of hubris on her part. And the way her personality seemed to change off-screen between movies, from "I love my 'X-men' family" to "No interviews, no interest, no interaction"....

It's just really, really sad :(