Stephen King Discussion

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Stephen King Discussion

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Notorious horror/thriller writer Stephen King has a Marathon on AMC for the month of October and it got me thinking...

What other Stephen King stories have I read? He has so many I've forgotten what they all were.

And HOLY COW does he have a lot.

I'm watching 'Cujo' now and thought he movie is fairly well done (for the time) it seems like it took a departure from the book in that the book tries to gain sympathy from the reader due to Cujo's case of rabies and lack of control of his actions, whereas the movie seems to dress him up as a terrible monster (which he arguably has become).

Also, I'm pretty sure that kid was actually scared in the making of this movie too. How funny would it be if they never told him what was going on so they could get authentic reactions out of him? :shifty
This movie is one of many that could've been easily resolved with use of a cell phone. LOL!

Anyways,

Stephen King is a fun writer, and as I go through his list of stories I realize I'm far more familiar with his work than I thought (via Television/Movies more than his novels/shorts).
For me, the book is always different from the movie. I have tried to stray from using the term "better" as of late, because of course the book is better. There's always that one part you read and it filled your mind with unique imagery only viewable by you, making it that much more of a treasure to read.
When you see someone else's vision of that scene (or if it gets excluded?), you will naturally be disappointed with the film. However; most of the time -- it seems like Stephen King movies get adapted fairly well.

The Green Mile is an amazing story, one of his best written, but the movie still stands in my top 5 films of all time.

What stories do you guys like the most?

[Edited on 16/10/11 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Stephen King Discussion

Post by Garble »

I find that I prefer his shorter stories, especially his non-horror ones.

Like you said, The Green Mile is really excellent.

His book, Different Seasons, contains 4 stories and 3 of them have been made into awesome movies: Stand By Me, Shawshank Redemption, and Apt Pupil.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Stephen King Discussion

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

No way! Apt Pupil is based on a Stephen King story? Jeez.

What's the fourth one?
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS