HOCKEY!

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

HOCKEY!

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Yeah, so screw Football. We're a month out from the start of the most exciting sports season ever: HOCKEY!

I sincerely can't wait. I'm so taking advantage of the Islanders while they're here to see as many games as possible. While I'm no Islanders fan, they're always playing someone else I can cheer for. And the tickets to Isles games are always cheap.

So this season, I'm rooting for Buffalo and Philly. I love Buffalo, and I really enjoy Philly's ruthlessness. It's like they find the most violent players ever and recruit them, THEN teach them hockey.

Who are your teams? Who will you be rooting for?
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Timelord
Nightscrawlearth Character: :x23 :rachel

HOCKEY!

Post by tears~fall~like~glass »

Oh, Philly... I don't think I can like you anymore, Nacht. :P

We don't have a NHL team here in Indianapolis, but I have family from Pittsburgh... Sooo, my brother and I are massive Penguins fans. I'm also partial to the Red Wings when they aren't playing the Penguins, otherwise it's like war in the house as Matt's a huge Detroit fan.

Sadly, I'm never in Pennsylvania during hockey season, so I've never been to a game. However, we have a minor league team here in Indianapolis and tickets are cheap. We want to take Matthew because at this point in his life he wants to grow up to be a goalie in the NHL. :shifty

Also... NHL '12 just came out. Totally want it.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

HOCKEY!

Of course you don't like Philly, you Penguin! :P

I love Philly for the fights. They really are a bunch of hooligans, and their fans aren't much better. Case in point:

Domi beats up a Flyers fan

I enjoy the Canadian teams too, tbh, but I find myself closest to the Sabres.

Going to the minor league team sounds fun. Cheap hockey is better than no hockey! Also, I love that Matthew wants to be a goalie. I'm sure there's some peewee hockey team around you somewhere. And the best part about that is in between periods at the pro games, they bring out the peewees for a 5 second game. It's adorable!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

HOCKEY!

Yeah, the grittiness is part of why I like the Penguins... Y'know, besides their sheer awesomeness. :P

Have you seen the line brawl and the goalie fight from the Islanders/Penguins games last season?

I rooted for Boston for their Cup run, so they've grown on me a little. I went to school in Chicago, and the city is insane about hockey. I'm not a Blackhawks fan, but I remember when the season started last year, the fanclub made ice sculptures of the Stanley Cup and placed a ton of them on corners in the Loop. It was really cool. The Chicago Theater even had a sign that said "Go Blackhawks!" for a while.

And, he's hilarious about hockey. He plays NHL '10 and watches games with us. Decided he wanted to be a goalie, so we got him hockey sticks and a ball for Easter. He runs around outside, yelling he's skating when he plays with them. He really wants a goal now, but they're so expensive. >< Instead of buying one, we talked about getting PVC pipe and just making one. He needs to be bit older to play on a peewee team, but he's getting there! :D

Also... That fan fight is hilarious.

[Edited on 9/12/2011 by tears~fall~like~glass]
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

HOCKEY!

Post by Crawler »

I've just gotten back into hockey this offseason, with the return of the Winnipeg Jets (gojetsgo). I liked them back in the olden days, before they were shipped off to become the Phoenix Welfaredogs. After 15 years, the NHL is back in Winnipeg, having stolen the Atlanta Thrashers and renamed and rebranded them as the new Winnipeg Jets.

Ask anyone that has talk to me this long, long summer, and they'll tell you how obsessed I was with the Winnipeg franchise. First I was obsessed with what they were going to be named. Then I was obsessed with what their logo would be. Then I was obsessed with that their uniforms would be. Now I'm just waiting for them to start playing. Since I don't live in Jetsland, I'll probably be buying the online thing the NHL does that allows you to watch games on your computer.

If I had even the tiniest shred of hope that the Whalers would be reborn, I'd be waiting until then to get back into hockey...but there's basically no hope. I still hate Carolina because they used to be my Whalers. Since there's no Whaler hope, the next best thing is the Winnipeg Jets 2.0, so I'm all in.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

HOCKEY!

Post by Slarti »

We started going to Kansas City Blades games the year before the team went kaput. Hockey is a damn fun live sport to watch and I'm sorry we learned this just before we lost the team. You don't bake like at a baseball game, or freeze like at football. And then there are those awesome flashes of blinding violence.

We just got another team a couple years ago, but we've been a bit too busy reproducing to go. :shifty

One of these days we're supposed to get an NHL team to play at our new shiny Sprint Center. When that happens we'll have to start going again.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

HOCKEY!

That's what I truly love about hockey. The game is face paced and someone is going to get punched. It's a ton of fun.

Hopefully, Slarti, you guys don't get the Islanders. I need my cheap tickets! :shifty
tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

HOCKEY!

I'm interested in seeing how well the Winnipeg Jets will do this season. Hopefully better than the Thrashers. :shifty

Are Rangers tickets not cheap, Nacht?
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

HOCKEY!

tears~fall~like~glass wrote:I'm interested in seeing how well the Winnipeg Jets will do this season. Hopefully better than the Thrashers. :shifty

Are Rangers tickets not cheap, Nacht?
Rangers tickets you have to include the train ticket to MSG, which automatically boosts the price by $20. Plus I HATE the Rangers -_-
tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

HOCKEY!

Ahh. Well, hate is a good enough reason to not go. ;)

I can't really think of any teams I hate other than the Flyers and Capitals, and I happen to like the Flyers more than the Capitals. :shifty
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

HOCKEY!

tears~fall~like~glass wrote:Ahh. Well, hate is a good enough reason to not go. ;)

I can't really think of any teams I hate other than the Flyers and Capitals, and I happen to like the Flyers more than the Capitals. :shifty
I don't really have many teams I hate. I hate the Rangers and that's really it. And the main reason I hate them is because I've never met a Rangers fan I liked. They've always been these douchey dude bros. But who knows?

I really know very little about the Capitals, but you know how I feel about the Flyers. And Philly fans are just insane. I remember being at an Isles game last season and there were more Philly fans than Isles fans. And they were relentless. We had a Blackhawks fan sitting next to us, and the Philly fans were HORRENDOUS. But it was pretty funny nonetheless.
tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

HOCKEY!

NachtcGleiskette wrote:
tears~fall~like~glass wrote:Ahh. Well, hate is a good enough reason to not go. ;)

I don't really have many teams I hate. I hate the Rangers and that's really it. And the main reason I hate them is because I've never met a Rangers fan I liked. They've always been these douchey dude bros. But who knows?

I really know very little about the Capitals, but you know how I feel about the Flyers. And Philly fans are just insane. I remember being at an Isles game last season and there were more Philly fans than Isles fans. And they were relentless. We had a Blackhawks fan sitting next to us, and the Philly fans were HORRENDOUS. But it was pretty funny nonetheless.
The Capitals and Penguins have a bit of a rivalry, but I just can't stand Alex Ovechkin. Talented, but he comes off as such a douche on the ice. I feel him and Sidney Crosby are compared a lot, as both put up spectacular rookie seasons.

Philly has a good group of players. I guess had may be more accurate (only the upcoming season will tell). They traded away Mike Richards and Jeff Carter, who were their top forwards. Signed Ilya Bryzgalov to a ridiculous 9-year contract when they have Sergei Bobrovsky, who's a young goalie but looked good every time I saw him play. Though, I guess they have some taste... I mean, they signed Max Talbot, who was a Penguin. ;) He didn't take much heat for signing with them because of Jaromir Jagr.