TRUE BLOOD

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
User avatar
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Posts: 3167
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:45 am
Title: The Ragin' Cajun
Location: NY

TRUE BLOOD

Post by NachtcGleiskette » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Ok, so, guess what. I've been obsessed with this show for as long as I've been away. And I want a place to discuss it. So here it is!

Let's skip to this season. Granted, last season was effing off the charts AMAZING, and Russell is STILL the best villain to be introduced to the show. However, I am digging this season. It's been a slow build, but it's starting to really pick up and there are only TWO EPISODES LEFT!

It's interesting, because as we move along with this show, I find myself liking and caring about Sookie less and less, and loving the other characters. Sam has been fabulous this season and Sam Trammel gave an AMAZING performance when he played Sam as interpreted by Tommy. That was a standout moment for me. I think an issue I've seen is that there are SO many characters now that the main story over all is getting diluted, but I think they're going to start picking people off (as evidenced in the most recent episode).

And even if you don't like the story, it's worth it to tune in weekly for this:

Image
or this:
Image
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3970
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:16 pm
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny
Location: Space.

TRUE BLOOD

Post by steyn » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:55 pm

I only caught a couple episodes in the first season and never got a liking to it, but strangely enough I started watching this current season from episode one, and now I think I may be hooked. Still don't like Sookie, but damn that pixie got some flashy powers in the last episode I caught.

Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Posts: 2448
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:26 am
Title: Fergie the Unjust
Location: I'm in the hick-land playing the spoons

TRUE BLOOD

Post by Ferguson » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:57 pm

I meant to try this out when it was new but never actually got around to it. Is there a good jumping on place or should I just hunt down someone who has it from the beginning?

Also meant to try the book series out as well. does anyone know how it compares?
Image

puppygirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Posts: 1819
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:31 pm
Title: Pigeon Fancier
Nightscrawlearth Character: :blink :warlock :morph :deadgirl
Contact:

TRUE BLOOD

Post by puppygirl » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:59 pm

Scum's read the books and he's enjoyed them, neither of us have watched the series though so we can't really compare them :(
Image NightscrawlearthImage
Image

Pup's Blog -- Pup's Tumblr
"Why can’t people appreciate how much effort I put in to not becoming a serial killer?"

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3970
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:16 pm
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny
Location: Space.

TRUE BLOOD

Post by steyn » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:01 pm

well, like I said, I really started watching from the current season's episode 1, and quickly caught on to what's going on where. I think they script the whole show nicely to make new viewers catch on quick without making the dialogue soundly utterly stupid.

littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 8:15 pm
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite
Location: the drama studio
Contact:

TRUE BLOOD

Post by littlebamf » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:02 pm

I have caught a few episodes here and there and find it thoroughly entertaining from what I have seen. My sister is three types of mental on the tv series and the books however, she keeps forcing them on one of her friends.

I have one of the books, but its sat on top of my 'waiting til I'm finished with A Song of Ice and Fire' book stack. It's quite an impressive stack.

Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Posts: 2448
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:26 am
Title: Fergie the Unjust
Location: I'm in the hick-land playing the spoons

TRUE BLOOD

Post by Ferguson » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:04 pm

Oh god, A song of Ice and Fire!

Must...not steer topic off.

Well, that is more than enough good recommendations for me to go searching it out!
Image

User avatar
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Posts: 3167
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:45 am
Title: The Ragin' Cajun
Location: NY

TRUE BLOOD

Post by NachtcGleiskette » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:34 pm

I have to admit, jumping on right now may actually turn you off. Steyn was clearly the exception to this rule, but I remember watching the first episode of this season and thinking "Crap, if I were new I would NEVER come back."

I absolutely recommend picking it up from the first season. If that's not possible, start from last season. Last season was KILLER.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€

Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Posts: 865
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:15 pm
Title: Weirdsmith
Location: The bottom of your mind
Contact:

TRUE BLOOD

Post by Garble » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:25 pm

I recommend starting from the beginning if possible as well.

The show starts off with a simple premise of "What if vampires were real and they made themselves known?" then introduces additional magical creatures into the series over time.

But jumping in now, it's a bit much.

One thing to keep in mind if you do jump in, Terra has been through a *lot* of intense stuff. Her craziness isn't entirely her fault.

User avatar
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Posts: 3167
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:45 am
Title: The Ragin' Cajun
Location: NY

TRUE BLOOD

Post by NachtcGleiskette » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:59 am

Garble wrote:I recommend starting from the beginning if possible as well.

The show starts off with a simple premise of "What if vampires were real and they made themselves known?" then introduces additional magical creatures into the series over time.

But jumping in now, it's a bit much.

One thing to keep in mind if you do jump in, Terra has been through a *lot* of intense stuff. Her craziness isn't entirely her fault.
I love how seamlessly they are introducing the other mystical creatures as the series progresses, and how they take a season to kind of focus in on them. Vampires and a shifter season 1, the crappy Maenad season 2, werewolves season 3, and now witches in season 4. And of course, the [spoiler]fairies[/spoiler] which I feel the need to spoiler tag, as that's a huge spoiler in the show. They do it so well, and it doesn't really go far over the top. The writing on the show is really top notch, and the amount of nudity make it a Sunday night staple.

Speaking of Tara, however, she annoyed the hell out of me last season. I know in real life, her being victimized would be that traumatic, but eventually I really wanted to be done with her. She was a whiny mess for an entire season. It got incredibly irritating to watch. Though that was the only thing about last season that wasn't completely amazing. I still miss Talbot, and Franklin, while completely insane and evil, was SUCH an awesome character.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€

User avatar
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Posts: 3167
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:45 am
Title: The Ragin' Cajun
Location: NY

TRUE BLOOD

Post by NachtcGleiskette » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:45 am

Sorry for the double post, but a simple edit of the above will be seen by no one ;).

Anyway, I wanted to comment on the weird ghost this season. I was so convinced it was all voodoo, but I liked how it turned around. Although, the Fais Do Do song totally brought back sweet memories. We used to sing it at Gymboree when we taught Cajun in music class. It's such a pretty song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwIZ4WxNDUY
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€

Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Posts: 865
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:15 pm
Title: Weirdsmith
Location: The bottom of your mind
Contact:

TRUE BLOOD

Post by Garble » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:58 pm

This season witches and by proxy, ghosts. :)

Tarra can be really annoying. She's always acted kind of crazy (which is why it was easy for her to think she was possessed a few seasons back). But for the last few episodes, every time I've seen her I've felt sorry for her. Pretty much everyone close to her has had some sort of magical element to them now (still not sure what's going on with Jason, though).

Another reason I think it's wise to start at the beginning if at all possible is that there are *so many* great characters in this series, and the plot spends all its time advancing the characters, rather than re-establishing who they are.

User avatar
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Posts: 3167
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:45 am
Title: The Ragin' Cajun
Location: NY

TRUE BLOOD

Post by NachtcGleiskette » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:16 pm

Garble wrote: Another reason I think it's wise to start at the beginning if at all possible is that there are *so many* great characters in this series, and the plot spends all its time advancing the characters, rather than re-establishing who they are.
Could not agree more. I don't think there is a single character in the show that I do not love, and it's because of the care they've all been given these four seasons. It's easy when jumping in from here to write some off as one note - Jason's the stupid one, right? - but really there is so much depth. I effing LOVE Jason. I love Jason because he's stupid, but when it matters, his heart is in the right place. I love that every season he manages to screw things up royally, and every season he has his own side adventure in just finding himself. But this is true for many of the characters. Each character's story arc is really special, and totally deserves being watched from the start.

One thing that many don't realize about this show is that in the first 3 seasons, only about 3-4 months passed in the show. At most. After that they had the year leap for season 4. But that's what makes it so important to watch from the beginning. Because the stories of each season are very intertwined with the ones that came before it.

And to be honest, it's 4 seasons at 12 episodes, so it's not a daunting undertaking ;)
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€

User avatar
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Posts: 3167
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:45 am
Title: The Ragin' Cajun
Location: NY

TRUE BLOOD

Post by NachtcGleiskette » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:05 pm

HOLY CRAP, I just caught up on the latest episode. I was honestly shocked, as I'm watching I'm thinking "isn't there one more episode? How did they wrap it all up?" But I loved the end, and next week looks crazy.

I will say that the SPOILERS: Eric and Bill suicide fakeout was lame. You KNEW they weren't in danger, and there was never a second I thought they would be. Also, I disagree with [spoilers]Eric being so angry at Pam[/spoilers]. She's his progeny! I don't like Eric choosing anyone over her, especially frikken Sookie

I really liked Jesus in this episode. And I was kind of hoping that Antonia would end up in the dead body of that chick and there'd be a massive showdown between her and Marnie. I did enjoy the turn around in the middle of the season, where you find out Marnie is the one who's actually behind all this, and Antonia only provides the power, and after a certain point against her will. I will admit, not the BEST season, but pretty solid. Let's see how we finish off next week before I make any final judgements.

OH and Andy fucking the fairy? That can't be headed anywhere good. Don't trust those fairies!


PS, do the spoiler tags no longer work??

[Edited on 6/9/11 by NachtcGleiskette]
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3970
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:16 pm
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny
Location: Space.

TRUE BLOOD

Post by steyn » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:49 pm

Don't think we ever had spoiler tags.



(spoiler)




I was actually thinking Sookie would do her fairy thing and pull Antonia out of Marnie in some sort of way, then The end. So frikken glad things went this way around. Also, hee Marnie wants her revenge!

Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Posts: 865
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:15 pm
Title: Weirdsmith
Location: The bottom of your mind
Contact:

TRUE BLOOD

Post by Garble » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:07 pm

I also was wondering how they hell they were going to get another episode out of this when it seemed like everything was cleared up. Then the ending came and I was kicking myself for not seeing that coming when it was set up so perfectly with Lafayette's story arc this season.

User avatar
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Posts: 3167
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:45 am
Title: The Ragin' Cajun
Location: NY

TRUE BLOOD

Post by NachtcGleiskette » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:07 pm

steyn wrote:Don't think we ever had spoiler tags.



(spoiler)




I was actually thinking Sookie would do her fairy thing and pull Antonia out of Marnie in some sort of way, then The end. So frikken glad things went this way around. Also, hee Marnie wants her revenge!
We didn't?? I swear I remember having spoiler tags at one time. I'm even remembering using them recently, but at the same time I'm clearly wrong about that. But surely we had them at one point?

And agreed. Sookie doing her thing would have been interesting, but then what we got was pretty awesome. Also, Sookie did use her power to a huge degree this week, and that was awesome to see.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3970
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:16 pm
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny
Location: Space.

TRUE BLOOD

Post by steyn » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:35 pm

okay, just saw the latest episode, and I'm like....wtf? I thought they would have dragged that plot out longer than just one episode.

User avatar
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Posts: 3167
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:45 am
Title: The Ragin' Cajun
Location: NY

TRUE BLOOD

Post by NachtcGleiskette » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:36 pm

Yeah, they really wrapped it up quite quickly. I can't believe they killed off Jesus but it seemed very unlikely the season would end without a few casualties, Tommy being another of them. Though they did set it up that he could be around next season, what with Lafayette's powers.

I really felt for Pam. And I really don't get the Sookie love. This whole love triangle is so over for me. Granted, it's also over for now but I'm pretty sure that's just for now.

I'm very curious about what's to come with Terry. It was nice to see Rene very briefly too, but why is he still Cajun? That wasn't real!

And Jessica seems to have gotten over that whole hymen thing...:naughty

All in all, ok season. Last season was SO good that this one had a lot to live up to. I don't think it did, but it didn't lose me either. I'll be back in the Spring ;)

EDITED TO ADD:

OK, I posted this before I saw the complete end. HOLY EFFING CRAP! Vampire Steve Newlin and RUSSELL IS BACK!!!! OMFGGGGG!! I AM SO EXCITED FOR NEXT SEASON!!

[Edited on 13/9/11 by NachtcGleiskette]
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3970
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:16 pm
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny
Location: Space.

TRUE BLOOD

Post by steyn » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:41 pm

I just keep thinking poor Lafayette.

User avatar
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Posts: 3167
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:45 am
Title: The Ragin' Cajun
Location: NY

TRUE BLOOD

Post by NachtcGleiskette » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:42 pm

steyn wrote:I just keep thinking poor Lafayette.
Agreed :(. BUT OMFG!!!!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3970
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:16 pm
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny
Location: Space.

TRUE BLOOD

Post by steyn » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:44 pm

And remember, he's now more powerful as well thanks to that Marnie bitch.

User avatar
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Posts: 3167
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:45 am
Title: The Ragin' Cajun
Location: NY

TRUE BLOOD

Post by NachtcGleiskette » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:09 pm

steyn wrote:And remember, he's now more powerful as well thanks to that Marnie bitch.
He is? I think I missed that part. Did they explain why that is?
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€

steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3970
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:16 pm
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny
Location: Space.

TRUE BLOOD

Post by steyn » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:09 pm

Spirits can't do anything without a host body. What power the body has, the spirit can control. When Marnie took Jesus' demon powers, it went into Lafayette's body so that Marnie could use it. Which means with Marnie out of his body, Lafayette's stuck with his medium powers and the demon powers. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

User avatar
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Posts: 3167
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:45 am
Title: The Ragin' Cajun
Location: NY

TRUE BLOOD

Post by NachtcGleiskette » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:29 pm

steyn wrote:Spirits can't do anything without a host body. What power the body has, the spirit can control. When Marnie took Jesus' demon powers, it went into Lafayette's body so that Marnie could use it. Which means with Marnie out of his body, Lafayette's stuck with his medium powers and the demon powers. At least that's what I'm hoping for.
OH CRAP! You're right! Though, who knows if that was the intention. I guess we'll see next season.

PS, what do we think will become of Tara? I hear speculation that she may become a vampire Not sure what to think of that.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€

Post Reply