Alan Cumming's Play

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Rex Luscus
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by Rex Luscus »

I saw Alan Cumming's new play "Elle" when it was in previews last week. I think the bottom line is that I just don't like Jean Genet, but Alan himself was great! He played a campy Pope in roller skates and a prom dress that was hiked up in the back to expose his bare ass for the entirety of the play. Trust me, it kind of makes sense in context. :oops:

He also played the part with this ridiculous "mafioso" Italian accent, which worked in a weird way, and he was definitely the most charismatic guy on stage. It was impossible not to pay attention to him ... and not just because his ass was exposed. :D If I hadn't before, I realize now that he's a totally brilliant actor ... if I were directing, I'd want him in my play. :)

As for the physical report: his arms looked decently toned, but the prom dress went up to his collar bones so I couldn't assess his pecs. I'm sure he'll look just fine, though. He'll probably be no Tobey MacGuire, but ... :D

-Rex
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by Garble »

And so now you can say you've seen Nightcrawler's ass. Congradulations, Rex.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by Bamfette »

we can ALL see Nightcrawers ass, see?

http://www.alancumming.com/gallery/lbig.jpg :D

but only Rex has seen it in person ;) the play sounds... interesting... :ooh: i guess it's one of thos 'you had to be there' things, huh? :p good to hear his arms arent twigs.
BamfKat
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by BamfKat »

By Rex
...he was definitely the most charismatic guy on stage. It was impossible not to pay attention to him...
I would bet! :eek:
I heard that he had the same sort of presence as EmmCee in Cabaret. In a part that defines many actors he redefined the part.

This production sounds like a gas I wish I could see it.

*Looks at the link provided by Bamfette*

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

Oh my, well at least he has the same fondness for primary colors as Kurt.... :naughty:
BamfKat,
Hey, is it supposed to smoke like that? :bamf
Rex Luscus
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by Rex Luscus »

Yeah, that's the image that was on the program cover. :) The dress he wore in the play itself was different, though. He also had on a mitre with a huge, sequined 'P' on it. :laugh:

It was a pretty interesting play. It's all about presence and absence and representation and other juicy postmodern themes like that. The idea is that a photographer has come to photograph the Pope so that the world can have an image to understand him through, but then the Pope comes out and explains that 'Pope' is an ideal that's beyond representation, that can, in a sense, only be represented by absence -- the Pope is only "real" when he's not there. That's the idea behind the exposed ass. As a transcendent idea, the Pope doesn't HAVE an ass or even a body really, so by all logic, there isn't anything that needs covering.

So I think Alan did a pretty damn good job of portraying a man who suffers the constant torment of not really existing. Kind of tough as motivations go. :)

Alan's boyfriend Nick Philippou directed it, and apparently Alan did the adaptation from a literal translation by someone else. I may not love Jean Genet as much as he does, but I can't deny that the guy's extremely talented. And obviously very comfortable with his body. :smirk:

You know ... it's actually the kind of play that makes you go :? when you first see it, but that gets better the more you think about it afterward. Trust me. :)

-Rex
BlueJubatus
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by BlueJubatus »

hmmm, looks good. I would LOVE to see it live! It has all the makings of the kinds of theater that i like. -then again, im a sucker for all kinds of theater- anyway, he looks like he'll be able to pull off nighty quite well-in spite of the dress:P
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by Dark Bamf »

Originally posted by Bamfette

but only Rex has seen it in person ;) the play sounds... interesting... :ooh: i guess it's one of thos 'you had to be there' things, huh? :p good to hear his arms arent twigs.
But where's the TAIL?!? :p

:bamf:
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by little Blue Lucy »

I know!:laugh:
Originally posted by BlueJubatus
hmmm, looks good. I would LOVE to see it live! It has all the makings of the kinds of theater that i like. -then again, im a sucker for all kinds of theater- anyway, he looks like he'll be able to pull off nighty quite well-in spite of the dress:P
Same here (about theater and all I mean)!
Vala: "Hello."
Daniel: "What the hell are you doing here?"
Vala: "Isn't this my room?"
Daniel: "Noooo… your room is across the hall… with the… guard in front of it."
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"
Daniel: "No, we shalln't."
Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member #11 :engarde

:respectnc and they'll respect you, back.
Nightfollower
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by Nightfollower »

YOU SAW NIGHTCRAWLER'S ASS BEFORE ME?!

Next on my to-do list: Track down Rex, hold a gun to his head and FORCE him to tell me where I can see this.

Hey Rex, betcha liked it, eh? :naughty:;)
Nightfollower.

Insert sig here.

LiveJournal
Nightfollower
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by Nightfollower »

Originally posted by Bamfette

ROFL!!!!

*shakes head in despair*

Riiiiggggghhhhhht

Now all i gotta do is imagine it blue and fuzzy. hehe
Nightfollower.

Insert sig here.

LiveJournal
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by little Blue Lucy »

Don't forget the tail!;)
Vala: "Hello."
Daniel: "What the hell are you doing here?"
Vala: "Isn't this my room?"
Daniel: "Noooo… your room is across the hall… with the… guard in front of it."
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"
Daniel: "No, we shalln't."
Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member #11 :engarde

:respectnc and they'll respect you, back.
Nightfollower
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by Nightfollower »

Ooh yes, the tail. Let me re-phrase that.

Now all I gotta do is imagine it blue and fuzzy with a tail protruding out from just above it. Or something like that.
Nightfollower.

Insert sig here.

LiveJournal
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by Elwing »

*shudders* just *shudders*:eek:
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Nightfang
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by Nightfang »

I'm never going to get that image out of my head. *grins.* :shocked::evil:
In.sane. (in. sâne’) a. Unsound in mind; mentally diseased; lunatic. See also, Nightfang.

Love for Morph & Nocturne Organization (LMNO) #3

The more people I meet, the more I love my cat.
TahNaziHorse
Lubber
Lubber

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by TahNaziHorse »

ohh my god that is a crap picture. i need psychological help for the rest of my life after seeing that!!
1. 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
2. 98% of all statistics are made up.
3. A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
4. A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking.-Jerry Seinfeld
5. A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.-Friedrich Nietzsche.
6. A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
7. A conscience does not prevent sin, it only prevents you from enjoying it.
8. A flying saucer results when a nudist spills his coffee.
9. A naked man fears no pickpocket.
10. A real friend is a person who, when you've made a fool of yourself, lets you forget it.
11. Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most do.
12. Any reviewer who expresses rage and loathing for a novel is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.-Kurt Vonnegut
13. Anyone who eats thee meals a day should understand why cookbooks outsell sex books three to one.-L. M. Boyd
14. Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.-Orson Welles.
15. The trouble with some women is they get all excited over nothing -and then they marry him!-Cher
16. Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Winston Churchill (Some claim this quote should be atttributed to Albert Einstein)
17. Took an hour to bury the cat, it wouldn't hold still...
18. To be or not to be is not a question of compromise. Either you be or you don't be.-Golda Meir
Nightgrl07
Lubber
Lubber

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by Nightgrl07 »

Hey, nightcrawler is thight cool and all that, but they should ahve gotten a slimer and better looking person to play nightcrawler on X2

nightcrawler is soooo cool
but alan cumming soooooo sucks
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by Bamfette »

SLIMMER than Alan? :o have you actually SEEN him? what are you on?

oh, and we don't take kindly to straight out bashing here :mad: if you have something negative to say about a person, back it up with an actual argument. just 'he sucks' makes you sound dumb.
Erynne
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by Erynne »

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! OMG!!!! HAHAHAHA!
Erynne
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by Erynne »

Originally posted by Nightgrl07
Hey, nightcrawler is thight cool and all that, but they should ahve gotten a slimer and better looking person to play nightcrawler on X2

I totally disagree. Alan's not only willing to do odd stuff to play Nightcrawler (i.e. walk around on all fours, figure out how to talk with an accent while his fangs are in) but he has to go through like, 4 hours of makeup everyday. THAT takes courage. Plus, I think he's a good actor. :P
Ryuu-chan
Lubber
Lubber

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by Ryuu-chan »

How much slimmer can they get? x_o I mean, Alan already looks like his parentage was half elf. Should he be paper-thin?
Older, smarter, and more sane than before.

Hopefully, anyway.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by kurtlover »

Originally posted by Nightgrl07

Oh yeah? like how, because if you wanna get a point you better explain it on a more convincent way, not just "He sucks because i want to" use a valid arguments.
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by Hsu »

Well, I'm slimmer than Alan, but I'm also sickly pale, so people just think I'm recovering from Chemo or something. :p
[spoiler]I hate post whores![/spoiler]
Erynne
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by Erynne »

Originally posted by Hsu
Well, I'm slimmer than Alan, but I'm also sickly pale, so people just think I'm recovering from Chemo or something. :p
Umm....that doesn't sound too good....:P
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by Hsu »

I swear I have muscular dystrophy or something. I was in weight training for a year and I increased my maximun bench press by 10 lbs. That's so lame.
[spoiler]I hate post whores![/spoiler]
Erynne
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Alan Cumming's Play

Post by Erynne »

That's....weird. Well, it's kind of like us girls. My friends in x-country and I made a bet that whoever got a six pack first would get 5 bucks and we were crunching our brains out and the most any of us could get after like, 5 monthes was a 2 and a half pack.