Mother/Son relationship to be touched on in X2?

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
T.J. Wagner
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Mother/Son relationship to be touched on in X2?

Post by T.J. Wagner »

During the first official press conference with the X2 cast, Alan Cumming told how in the film he realizes that Mystique’s his mom, and I also readed in an earlier interview with Rebecca, she said she would be playing two parts. I don’t know if Alan meant during filming he realized that Rebecca was suppose to be playing Kurt’s mom, or if Nightcrawler learns Mystique is his mom. I think it would be wonderful for them to add Kurt and Mystique’s relationship in the film. I was thinking this over and I thought that maybe Rebecca gets to be on screen without Mystique’s blue make-up as Mystique in disguise, because we know that she did shape to look normal while giving birth to Kurt, right? Maybe they’re going to do a flashback or something in the middle of the movie.:)
* The Light of Evenstar * Guitar Picks (A Chamber Messageboard) *

"Does the outward shell really matter so much more than the soul that resides within?"
-Nightcrawler (X-Treme #18)

Feeling Blue?
:mystique: :bamf: :nocturne:
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Mystique/Nightcrawler relation in X2 not going to be touched

Post by Bamfette »

I THINK he meant that he, as in Alan, learned Mystique was his mom. one he was talkiing about how he was catching up in the comics to learn about the character. and two, if it was the character that found out he wouldn't have said halfway through 'filming', as he would have had the entire script read loooong before that.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

I agree with Jill. I got the impression that ALAN learned Mystique was NCs mom, not that Nightcrawler learned. Good point about the phrasing, Jill.

And as for the being "wonderful for them to add Kurt and Mystique’s relationship in the film" I cant disagree more.

I always found the whole thing a bit convenient and therefore didnt like it in the first place, but I also absolutely LOATHE the idea of it being introduced into the film because its really been something that is taken for granted and just plain expected while theres no real reason for it to be. Like Rogue/Remy and Jean/Scott...those arent things that HAVE to happen, yet theyre expected at every turn, in every instance.

For example, upon hearing that Gambit had a cameo A HELL OF A LOT of fans immediately called for Rogue and CameoGambit to have a relationship while a Rogue/Iceman relationship would be much easier and much more effective in the Movieverse.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
T.J. Wagner
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by T.J. Wagner »

Well I feel three inches tall now. :shame: I guess it was wishful thinking. They're not going to start the movie with a flashback like in X1, Nightcrawler is starting the movie after a voice-over by Xavier (like X1). It's going to be so cool!

"Does the outward shell really matter so much more than the soul that resides within?"

Feeling Blue?
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Crawler »

Yes, yes it is going to be cool. :D
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

WOW! i missunderstood at the beginning but i think is the same Jill said.
don't feel bad T.J. It happens to me all the time ;)
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

Putting it in the movie is unnessesary since fans of the comic and evolution already know about it. And sticking it in the movie would make non-fans think it was a rip off of Star Wars.

If there was a way they could make it cool and relivent to the plot, then fine. But there's no reason they have to go there.
Rictor
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Rictor »

I hope they do touch on that for it will be very interesting :D.

Rictor
I like Gwen Stefani...Can u tell?
C.o.C.k # 17
! Please Check Out My Gallery !
Betablue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Betablue »

The way I read it was that yes, indeed, Nightcrawler finds out IN THE MOVIE that Mystique is his mom. In the press conference transcript at Comicscontinuum, Alan says something to the effect that, "Yeah, and about halfway through I find out that Mystique is my mom." This seems very much in keeping with his persona: I can just imagine him at the press conference, with all the "gag" warnings in place, itching to say something that would have Singer flying across the table at him with a roll of duct tape.

I can see Mystique using it as a confusion/conflict/defense mechanism: just as Kurt's about to pop her in the kisser, she says something along the lines of, "You'd hit your own MOTHER?" Which leads to a moment of fatal hesitation, a villainous escape, etc., etc.

As far as birth scenes, though: I haven't heard anything, but allow me to say daintily, "OH HELL NO!!!" Next to a rape scene, NOTHING turns me off from a movie faster than childbirth.

And I don't think the sixteen-year-old, male, PG-rated target audience for this flick would dig it either. Just a thought.
Nightfollower
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Nightfollower »

I think Nighty and Mystique oughta know about their 'connection'. It'd add to the....umm....suspense? no. drama? no. Bah! I cant think of a word!

Anyway, Heya T.J! Welcome to our lair...no, welcome to Nightscrawlers! :D
Nightfollower.

Insert sig here.

LiveJournal
Darkstalker
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Darkstalker »

I remember reading somewhere; I think comics2film, that, yes, Mystique's relationship to Nightcrawler will be revealed, but I don't think they're going to make too big a deal out of it. Yeah, I remember the article because they mentioned how much younger Rebecca is than Alan, and how awkward it is that she would be playing his mother.

Oh, and "hi" to T.J.! :D Don't worry, I kinda lie your ideas! I always pictured the beginning of the X-Men film to show Nightcrawler being born while Professor Xavier explained the definition of a mutant. I picture the whole thing in my head; the shot is mostly of the doctors and nurses as they are gathered around the screaming mother; her face is never shown. As the birth ends, a shocked silence takes over the room except for th ecries of the strange baby the terrified staff is gathered around. They speak in German; "Mein Gott im Himmel!", "What can it be?", "God have mercy!", "It's a demon!" Then the camera zooms down to see Kurt's tiny blue body, and oh-so-cute face(to us at least!). Xavier ends his narration and begin opening credits! :D
T.J. Wagner
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by T.J. Wagner »

Thanks everyone for such the warm welcome! :D

I really do think they should tell about Mystique and Kurt’s relationship. It would add drama, and Mystique could possibly use this to try to get Kurt to join the Brotherhood. Just a thought.
I don’t think they’ll go into any graphic childbirth (if anything), it’s PG-13, but I hope they show a little flashback (if this is touch in the movie) about Kurt’s past.

Feeling Blue?
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

You can read an interview with Rebecca here... http://www.canoe.ca/JamMovies/oct22_stamos-sun.html

But in it she says:

"Alan Cumming plays Nightcrawler in this sequel and Mystique is his mother. I had to explain all this to him. He had no idea why he was being painted blue."

That says to me that it's gonna be in there...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Crawler »

That says to me that Rebecca is a bit...dimwitted?
wolviechickie
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by wolviechickie »

Originally posted by T.J. Wagner
During the first official press conference with the X2 cast, Alan Cumming told how in the film he realizes that Mystique’s his mom, and I also readed in an earlier interview with Rebecca, she said she would be playing two parts. I don’t know if Alan meant during filming he realized that Rebecca was suppose to be playing Kurt’s mom, or if Nightcrawler learns Mystique is his mom. I think it would be wonderful for them to add Kurt and Mystique’s relationship in the film. I was thinking this over and I thought that maybe Rebecca gets to be on screen without Mystique’s blue make-up as Mystique in disguise, because we know that she did shape to look normal while giving birth to Kurt, right? Maybe they’re going to do a flashback or something in the middle of the movie.:)
interesting point????:?
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

Originally posted by Nandireya
You can read an interview with Rebecca here... http://www.canoe.ca/JamMovies/oct22_stamos-sun.html

But in it she says:

"Alan Cumming plays Nightcrawler in this sequel and Mystique is his mother. I had to explain all this to him. He had no idea why he was being painted blue."

That says to me that it's gonna be in there...
i still say it wont be in the movie. as i read that, he was merely curious why Kurt was blue of all colours, and she explained the reason *in the comics* that Nightcrawler is blue like Mystique. like i said earlier. he would have read the script LONG before he began filming, so if it were in there, he would have known, and she wouldn't have had to explain it to him.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Crawler »

*smiles and nods* Yeah! What Jill said!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

I don't really care one way or the other...if it's in there, fine...if not, that's fine too...

But going on what Alan said:

It's kind of hard because halfway through the film I realized that Mystique is my mother which no one told me

Yeah...I'd say that he, Alan, found it out...he's never once in interviews referred to Nightcrawler in the first person...he's not THAT much into the role...and even if the script changed on set (it happens) that's a pretty major plot point...

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

I'm in the camp that hopes they leave it the hell alone. Unless it's essential to the story that Kurt and Raven be related they need to keep them unrelated. Why complicate things? I'm already afraid that with so many new characters they may lose the mainstream audience.
T.J. Wagner
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by T.J. Wagner »

I think it's funny that Rebecca is younger than Alan, and he supposed to be her son. :)
Well, I think that because that both Kurt and Raven are blue, that people who don't know ANYTHING about the comics and watching X2 might be wondering if they are related. That's possibly why they MIGHT touch on it in the movie.

Feeling Blue?
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Crawler »

Originally posted by Slarti
I'm in the camp that hopes they leave it the hell alone. Unless it's essential to the story that Kurt and Raven be related they need to keep them unrelated. Why complicate things? I'm already afraid that with so many new characters they may lose the mainstream audience.
Damn straight!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

There's not that many new characters...only three really (and we've lost two)...all the others are just beefed up parts...but the mainstreamers might not remember their cameos from the first one...

Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Crawler »

Still, I'll be happier if the Mystique/Nightcrawler relationship is left alone or at least introduced in such a way that Mystique could just be using it against Kurt and may not be telling the truth.

If I were them, though, I'd completely leave it out.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Those not in the know will probably question it...

I mean...

They LOOK a lot alike...

They'll no doubt MOVE a lot alike...

There'll proabably be lots of theories out there...that movie mags'll put to rest...

"You see...in the comics..."

Or little kids...

"You see...in X-Men: Evolution..."

They don't really need to have it in there...

Fuzzy
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

'ere now...

Post by Fuzzy »

actually, I don't really care if they do or don't- but it doesn't matter that she's so young- her shape-changing abilities keep her looking how she sees herself- perpetually young