Bryan Singer on Crawler and Alan!

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Typhon24
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Typhon24 »

Hey Guys!

From my interview with Bryan Singer:

CD: Why do you feel that Nightcrawler was the right new character to introduce to compliment the plot and themes you’ve chosen for this film?

BS: Well, because he’s a very interesting character. Once again, like Rogue in the first picture, there’s a kind of dichotomy to his character that interests me; he’s a religious character who has the physical proportions of a demon. He has a unique power that we haven’t seen before; he teleports, which is a bit different from what all the other characters do and that’s always important. One finds when one explores the universe that there are a lot of characters that are similar very often. This character shoots powerful lighting bolts from their eyes, another one from the hands, another one with a powerful beam, another one with powerful energy or powerful energy blasts and it’s always nice to have characters that are different and that also exemplify the mutant predicament, much like Rogue did in the first film. The Nightcrawler character embodies that choice, and also serves the story, and is also a fan favorite.

CD: You’ve said previously that you looked largely to Fox’s animated X-Men series for inspiration for the last film’s characters and personalities…how did you research Nightcrawler for this film?

BS: The same sorts of sources, the various comics of the X-Men universe. There was no Nightcrawler storyline that I based this off of…contrary to what people seem to think, which is that this movie is based off ‘God Loves, Man Kills’, I don’t know where that idea started…

CD: What about Alan Cumming as an actor would you say makes him right for the part of Nightcrawler?

BS: He not only is an exceptionally fine actor, but he also has a sense of humor, and I felt the role required not only acting chops, but also a sense of humor and also a strong sense of character. What we’ve tried to do with the X-Men series is to cast exceptionally fine actors for roles that bring more dimension to their characters.

Neat! For the full interview, click here! :D
X2 - The Evolution Continues!
jogurt
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Banned

Post by jogurt »

Im very curios about these damn film....and i hope hardly it will be much better as im afraid he could be.
im shure Brian and Alan and all the people who involved will do their best...but may its my bad mood but something scares me...Is it these God loves Man kills thing?
I guess I need a therapy.
The Pyramid over Egypt links with the Pyramid
of Time and Illusion. It is run by I, Thoth or
Hermes, the Trickster and Master of the Game.
(AKA. Azazel;) )
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

HEY! thanks for the info, and of course i'm reading the whole thing right now ;)
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

Gee don't know why people would think "God Loves, Man Kills" would be an influence when the movie is using the villian that only appeared in that story....
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

And Weapon X attacking the school is straight out of Ultimate X-Men #9...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
T.J. Wagner
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by T.J. Wagner »

Yeah I agree, the movie sounds like the Weapon X stories of Ultimate
* The Light of Evenstar * Guitar Picks (A Chamber Messageboard) *

"Does the outward shell really matter so much more than the soul that resides within?"
-Nightcrawler (X-Treme #18)

Feeling Blue?
:mystique: :bamf: :nocturne:
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

yeah, and now since Garble said that, i think its kinda strange, Stryker is not a popular villian.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Stryker was ONLY in "God Loves, Man Kills" as far as I know. And I think the moviemakers do just pick and choose storylines from the comics and modify them. That's fine and dandy, but why deny it? That's kinda goofy. :huh:

*bamfs off to read the rest*
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

Well, i certainly don't think they took that Graphic Novel and turned it directly into a script. I don't recal any presidential assasination attempts or Lady Deathstrike being in GLMK.

But I do think it odd that he'd say he doesn't know why people think it's based on that.
Fuzzy
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Fuzzy »

It's been said that movie Stryker and comic Stryker are the same in name only. The characters are not the same, nor are they meant to be similar. Movie Stryker is meant to be an amalgamated, stock human villain. He's a human villain for us to 'heartily dislike'. ;) The comic Stryker was a religious man, I think, while Movie Stryker works from an Army point of view. Plus, he's supposed to have something to do with some mutants' pasts. (weapon X??)
Typhon24
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Typhon24 »

Honestly, I think movie Stryker is closer to Ultimate Sgt. Wraith than anything else. Which is fine by me :)
X2 - The Evolution Continues!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

So he's sorta a combination of Stryker, Wraith and Greydon Creed then?

I can live with that...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D