Uncanny 412

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Uncanny 412

Post by Bamfette »

recapping from the old board... :)

UNCANNY X-MEN #412
Cover by Steve Uy
Chuck Austen (w)/Ron Garney (p)/Mark Morales (i)
Its double the x-citement as Uncanny X-Men goes biweekly in September! In the finale of Chuck Austen and Ron Garney’s first story arc, can anything stop the Juggernaut?
32 pgs. with ads/FC/Marvel PG $2.25

woo-hoo! 2 solo Nighty covers in under 6 months, and hes on the cover of X-Treme!! our boys become popular... looks like Ron gave him his curly hair, AND his nice uniform back, too

awfully convenient placement of his hand, huh?
http://x-mencomics.com/xfan/forums/show ... eadid=8064

then BlueJubatus said : YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MORE NIGHTY!!!!!!!!! :D

Elwing: Wow! Cool exposure! Weak art though, hate to say it, sorry. Shadows are just wrong, and it looks manga. And I hate manga. Oh, and that hand is just plain wrong from an anatomical point of view. Alan Davis where did you go?
*dives for cover*

Nocturne (me): no, no, i agree with you...its a cool cover at first glance, but once you look at it with a critical eye towards anatomy, things start to fall apart.... maybe Juggy twisted his arm or something and thats the explanation for the funky arm
he certaibnly looks pissed tho, dont he? he doesnt often get that mad, i wonder whats up. if hes going up aginst Juggernaut by himself, this ought to be really something if he kicks Juggys ass, (who prolly took down Archangel the issue before) no one will be able to call him a weak fighter again i mean were talkin the Juggernaut here, a guy who could beat the living daylights outa Colossus.

but keep in mind its not Ron, this guy is jsut doing the covers for Uncanny... maybe the interior art will be better. tho Rons cover for 410 wasnt exactly something to inspire awe either...

Crawler: As long as I dont analyze it...that cover is fraggin awesome!
But yeah, the one arm is twisted (but really only a LITTLE bitt too far.), hes missing toes, his fingers arent long enough and his thumb is missing an entire joint (maybe Juggly Nuts bit it off? )...

But still...Im off to my moms house to abuse her color printer.

BamfKat: I love the concept that Blue is getting this kind of exposure! As long as I dont look too close. I detest manga... Crawler is right he is missing a joint in his thumb and where are his fingernails? :mad:
Oooo Nocturne, you are forgetting his X-Factor cover! Three covers! :p

BamfKat,
Who decides he is going to wander off and not post until he is in a less negative mood. ;) maybe I need more (coffee)

BlueJubatus: at least theyve stopped drawing him 30-somthing and creepy looking......

Nocturne: thats true... no 40 something (or older)looking crawler here! glad were otua that unfortunate phase...
and Bamfkat, youre right!!! he goes for HOW LONG without a cover to himself?? (mini doesnt count for obvious reasons...) and now 3 solo covers within the span of a few months!

you know, in September he comes damn close to usurping Wolverine in dominating the X-Books. Wolverine is in his own series, 1 or two issues of New (the other apparently being a Storm/xavier thing) i am assuming atleast one issue of Uncanny... so 3, maybe 4 books. Nightcrawler is in Unlimited, X-Treme, atleast one (but probably 2) issue of Uncanny... so 3 maybe 4 books... Uncanny will be the deciding factor, if Wolvie isnt in it, then Nightcrawler is the X-Man to do the unthinkable and beat Wolverine for appearances for atleast one month...

BAMF: NOCTURNE after reading that im smiling so hard right now it almost hurts! !!:D:D

And ya know what? I think that the closer we get to the release of X2, the more were going to see X-creators using NIGHTCRAWLER as a way to draw attention to their books. (I cant believe I just said that!)
Amazing what becoming arguably the break out star of a hit Saturday morning cartoon will do for your popularity!
(Or am I making too much of a connection between this unbelievable Nightcrawler-Renaissance, and the impact of him being a stand out member of the EVO cast?)

Almost 30 years of Uncanny with only one solo cover, and suddenly he has two in under 6 months. WOW!

BAMF!

lotusson : Well, that pictures going to the harddrive :)

kurtlover: right into mine too!! this pic is gorgeous!!!!
thanks for the info Nocturne.

Pandora: Nocturne, Bamfkat! I so agree! Ive been waiting for most of my life to see him have a solo cover,
and now, 3 in lesss then 6 months! I feel faint!
This is so incredible that I almost forgot to complain about the incorrect anatomy in the pic!
He sure looks mad, huh?

Nandireya: If this exposure is due to his small screen presence in X-Men: Evolution imagine what things will be like twelve months from now with a big screen presence behind him...
Despite its failings...this is still a kick-arse cover...

kurtlover indeed, cant wait to see!!! *jumping from her seat*
Stormwatch
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Uncanny 412

Post by Stormwatch »

Originally posted by Bamfette
Elwing: Wow! Cool exposure! Weak art though, hate to say it, sorry. Shadows are just wrong, and it looks manga. And I hate manga. Oh, and that hand is just plain wrong from an anatomical point of view. Alan Davis where did you go?
*dives for cover*

Nocturne (me): no, no, i agree with you...it's a cool cover at first glance, but once you look at it with a critical eye towards anatomy, things start to fall apart.... maybe Juggy twisted his arm or something and that's the explanation for the funky arm
he certaibnly looks pissed tho, don't he? he doesn't often get that mad, i wonder what's up. if he's going up aginst Juggernaut by himself, this ought to be really something if he kicks Juggy's ass, (who prolly took down Archangel the issue before) no one will be able to call him a weak fighter again i mean we're talkin the Juggernaut here, a guy who could beat the living daylights outa Colossus.

but keep in mind it's not Ron, this guy is jsut doing the covers for Uncanny... maybe the interior art will be better. tho Rons cover for 410 wasn't exactly something to inspire awe either...

Crawler: As long as I don't analyze it...that cover is fraggin' awesome!
But yeah, the one arm is twisted (but really only a LITTLE bitt too far.), he's missing toes, his fingers aren't long enough and his thumb is missing an entire joint (maybe Juggly Nuts bit it off? )...

But still...I'm off to my mom's house to abuse her color printer.
Uh, okay, with the arm twisted, how is it twisted. I'm not getting that. How is that anatomically incorrect.

*copies pose and sees that he is alright*

I'm sorry, but you guys lost me there. :?

I'm confuzzled :?
:panther: 66 Bridges
:daredevil: 25 Cents of Time

But I DO have big teeth.
Nyssane
Lubber
Lubber

Gasp!

Post by Nyssane »

I be confuzzled, too. He looks perfectly normal :O I can do that thing with my arms, so it's possible that...gasp! He can too! :D
:phantazia:The Forgotten One: Phantazia:phantazia:

MONSTRA WILL SMASH YOU ALL!
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Uncanny 412

Post by Elwing »

Well, for starters, his thumb is too short. the shadows have gone completely missing in that particular area somehow, and his sleeve is short, and extremely tight. like skin tight spandex, but that's not how it's normally drawn.
His body is short and his legs are extremely long. The head seems too small in comparison. His knees are rounded; this is not anatomically right. A normal person has knee caps leaving a flat side to the knee. He has a short, upturned nose we don't normally see on this character. Need I go on? :?
Not that I would do better or anything, but I'm not making a living out of this...
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Uncanny 412

Post by Bamfette »

well see, the thing with his arm is, sure you can put your arm in that position, but the bones in the process twist around eachother in your forearm, creating a narrowish looking spot when viewed form an angle such as this.... hi arent doing that, it's like his bones were just discnnected at the ebow... it's unnerving.

on the whole tho it is a nice cover... just not when you get picky about anatomy, as i tend to...comes with the territory when you study to be an artist, i'm afraid.
BlueJubatus
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Uncanny 412

Post by BlueJubatus »

I think a lot of that can be explained by the stlye that the artist is using. It looks closer to anime than regular comic art. I like that form myself, but sometimes- most times the form is distorted. That could explain the things that are off on this pic.
...not that i'd actually know anything about this sort of thing.;)
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Uncanny 412

Post by Slarti »

I knew it looked off, somehow, but you guys pegged it for me. I think a lot of it does have to do with that wretched manga-esque style. Now, I like manga just fine, BUT not in the X-Men! Ach.

His nose is way too snubbed off. And that chin shadow is huge! Unless it's the return of the mysterious facial hair. Yeek! He's got a soul patch!
:shocked:
Stormwatch
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Uncanny 412

Post by Stormwatch »

OKay, Now it makes sense, thanks Jill.

And it makes sense, I just don't think of it. Although, I can barely draw stick figures, and I know I can't on this forum :(

I'll just stick to writing I guess.

And well, didn't like knowing about Juggy, being in it.

But I wonder how Austen will do him. Picking such a villain, it could either make his start good or break his start.

And I think Black Tom went after Warren, well, it makes sense, but I think Austen has read X-Men Forever, so it could make Juggy really interesting.

But well, only time will tell.

But I DO have big teeth.
MabusRex
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Uncanny 412

Post by MabusRex »

Originally posted by Bamfette
woo-hoo! 2 solo Nighty covers in under 6 months, and he's on the cover of X-Treme!! our boy's become popular... looks like Ron gave him his curly hair, AND his nice uniform back, too
Thing is, that's not Ron drawing the cover. That's ICEMAN ICON cover artist Steve Uy. Still love the cover, though I do agree the thumb is kinda funky...
Dark Archangel
Lubber
Lubber

Uncanny 412

Post by Dark Archangel »

Well, the cover was turned into a wallpaper instantaniously. It's really cool, I :love: Manga-esque art in the X, and Kurt's looks impressive...
Argentino de alma y corazón.
"Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open..."Sir James Dewan, scientist
ces
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Uncanny 412

Post by ces »

I really liked this cover, despite his hands and feet....

That is, until Elwing remarked his nose... :eek: His face isn't his now that I've notice the nose as well. I love manga, but I don't like this 'half-mix'...

But let me forget the cover! He's solo on a cover!!! :eek: :love: :o I just hope he gets a lot of panel time, and that the 'Naught story is well written... This has potential to be a great issue! *eager with anticipitation*
:lockheed into Uncanny! :austen
BamfKat
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Uncanny 412

Post by BamfKat »

Covers are a poor way to judge a book (comic or otherwise ;) ) There are problems like missing joints on the thumb and the nose but it is a solo cover and that is a good thing! :D
BamfKat,
Hey, is it supposed to smoke like that? :bamf
Stormwatch
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Uncanny 412

Post by Stormwatch »

I like when an artist who is doing the whole arc does the covers as well. Then it can just be foreboding.

But I DO have big teeth.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Uncanny 412

Post by Crawler »

I still lvoe that cover. I dig manga and anime and the half breed, so long as it's well done...and this is pretty well done...

(Thanks for explaining the arm twist thing in my absence, btw, guys!)
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Uncanny 412

Post by kurtlover »

Originally posted by Nyssane
I be confuzzled, too. He looks perfectly normal :O I can do that thing with my arms, so it's possible that...gasp! He can too! :D
if you look little closer his arm seems like twisted.
but i don't care is amazing anyway!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Uncanny 412

Post by Bamfette »

Originally posted by BamfKat
Covers are a poor way to judge a book (comic or otherwise ;) ) There are problems like missing joints on the thumb and the nose but it is a solo cover and that is a good thing! :D
oh i am not judging the BOOK based on the cover, i am judging the ART on the cover, period. ;) my nitpicking of anatomy has absolutely no bearing on my opinion of what goes on INSIDE the book...it'sjsut i have a tendency to do these sorts of things because we are encouraged to look for such anatomical errors EVERY DAY in college... it rubs off on daily life... ;)
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Uncanny 412

Post by Hsu »

I first saw the cover and was like "Wow that cover is awesome!"
Now you guys went and ruined it for me and I'm like "God, can't they draw him right?"
Thanks. :P
[spoiler]I hate post whores![/spoiler]
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Uncanny 412

Post by Bamfette »

you're welcome ;)
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Uncanny 412

Post by Garble »

It's the lightsource and shadows that are messing with me. :huh:

Is he kneeling? Free falling? Being lifted up in a tractor beam? What?:?
BlueJubatus
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Uncanny 412

Post by BlueJubatus »

i was guessing that he was caught in the headlights of a semi.............
yea, i the wierd light and lack of real background do kinda mess with ya:P
Stormwatch
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Uncanny 412

Post by Stormwatch »

I didn't mind that, and I assumed he was doing a flip/getting out of one. And it is tooo similiar to Nocturne's cover. Although, I would like it a bit more interesting. MAybe for Octobre, Kurt could be wearing a Spider-Man cossume.

But I DO have big teeth.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Uncanny 412

Post by Bamfette »

well,he's definatley on the ground as he is casting a shadow, and his feet are clearly planted on something solid... that being said, i dunno. to mee it looks like he jsut is getting back up after being knocked to the ground and thinking to himself 'that does it.... you're going DOWN!!"
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Uncanny 412

Post by Panz »

Please God, no, not the stupid facial hair thing again! how would he shave? I mean every time that he'd drag a razor over his face, he'd peel off the fuzz too! it would look like a mangy dog:huh:.

If someone just knocked him on his back side, the mysterious shadow cool be blood I guess...

It looks to me like he is crouched on something solid,leaning forward with his chin braced on his arm, so the dark spot could just be a shadow...Either way, It looks like he is up on top of something looking down.
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Uncanny 412

Post by Hsu »

I think that little square is just a shadow. It seems to large to be a soul patch and besides, that would be just too stupid!
[spoiler]I hate post whores![/spoiler]
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Uncanny 412

Post by Garble »

He's casting a shadow on the ground even though the ground seems to be where the light is coming from.
It's mad, I tell you! MAAAAAD!