X-Force General Discussion Thread

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

littlebamf wrote:Yeah, he's after Betsy. Got a piece of her too, just a lil one, but then she got a lil piece of him too (a good punch to the mouth).

Honestly I've just never been that keen on Fantomex, right from when he originally appeared back in New X-men when they were in Paris. But yeah, really, he needs to keep his oily hands off what he can't afford. *grumble*

Oh, Juggy...Pain well shared Nacht. Though really Betsy has also had to suffer Thunderbird III and Sabretooth from AoA. It's just neverending. *sob*
Yeah. Claremont clearly was trolling us.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Post by littlebamf »

Crawler wrote:The Psylocke / Fantomex ...issue...was handled very well, I think. They're both broken people and unsure of what they do and don't want. Fantomex is also a master at mindgames, manipulation, and reading people, even when not using his powers. Calling her out on her co-dependency was a total dick move on his part, but Fantomex isn't a boyscout.
Oh I don't disagree it was well handled and the points that Fantomex brought up, at least in part, were very true. I'm just having my sulky fangirl moment lol! But no, it was a very well written issue on the whole. I was honestly dubious about this trip to AoA but so far it's really good stuff.

One of the things I am very greatful to Remender for is that he is shedding baggage on the characters, but he's shedding it in the right areas and concentrating on stuff that matters.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

Definitely! He streamlined the characters very well, keeping what's important to the story and shedding what's not. He's also take a full team of characters that, under a poor writer, could be seen as similar and would possibly be written as a team of sameiness, and he's given each one a very distinct, rounded personality. Like I said earlier, this is the very first time in the entire history of her existence that I've cared about Psylocke in the least. Why is that? It's because she's an actual human being.

That's the thing I love about Remender's Uncanny X-Force. Not ONE of these characters has lead a normal human life. Not ONE of them hasn't been severely touched with inhuman weirdness. But Remender has made every last one of them into a real, recognizable human being.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator

Post by littlebamf »

That's one of the main reasons for my real love for the book, how he's rounded everyone. Betsy is a character that can be really abused due to her horribly confusing past, or just sidelined slightly in the main books what with Emma being around, meaning she's only really the sparkly ninja chick. I was never massively into her character until I read the really old stuff from the 80s Captain Britain and her original X-men, pre bodyswap stories, where she was a bit more than buttfloss barbie.

Anyway I'm getting off topic. I especially value his handling of characters when it comes to Deadpool. Him more than anyone could suffer from a less careful writer and pretty much turned into a court jester for the team. But (thankfully) he has a whole, rounded personality and he's actually had some conflict there, what with the Kidpocalypse thing and I enjoyed seeing that.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

As with C, this is the first time I have actually liked Psylocke. so often she just fell into monologuing about how badass she was, and it came off as Mary Sue-ish and boring. and I agree about Deadpool. He could have easly become just a funny quip dispenser, but he does have a real depth to him, as was especially shown with the 'Father' arc, inside Fanomex's little world, or the reveal that he hadn't cashed any of Warren's cheques. He's still prone to weird, random quips, but there is more to him as well.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Holy crap. Uncanny X-Force is so good it brought Bamfette, Crawler, littlebamf, and Nacht out to play again!
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Drastic Spastic wrote:Holy crap. Uncanny X-Force is so good it brought Bamfette, Crawler, littlebamf, and Nacht out to play again!
Damn straight!! Well, IT didn't bring me back, but I'm staying to hang with my fav Spaz!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I know, I am just trolling the people who don't like it. :toothy
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator

Post by littlebamf »

It's like Second Coming, Scrawler style. Either that or we're the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Good to see you too though, Spaz :D
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Crawler »

If we're the four horsemen, I call Death or War. The others are icky.

Earlier today, I realized why I like Fantomex, aside from Remender's writing. I was watching Ocean's Twelve / Ocean's Thirteen and noticed that, in my head, I've cast Vincent Cassel as Fantomex. Smug, French, lithe, graceful, always moving, always pompous...even when the situation doesn't warrant it. I suppose that if you don't hear the French accent in your head when you read his lines, perhaps his smugness doesn't come off as well. But it IS there, that much is made clear, so if you're not reading it with a French accent, you're doing yourself a disservice.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator

Post by littlebamf »

Actually, if ever a n X-Force movie was made, or indeed anything with Fantomex in it, Cassel is unbelievably perfect. Mind blown.

But seriously, I have always read him with a French accent, probably because I have his original appearance in New X-men and I do dislike him, but I think it would be more correct to say I like disliking him and his whole smugness, anti-hero thing thats a nice change from the 'norm'. As much as I dislike the things he does, I love reading about it all the same. Like, I reeeally don't like Pixie (also, wtf, 'tidy' irritates the snot out of me) so generally whenever I see her glowy little ass in the books I skim on by. Fantomex, yeah I read. And I hate him. And I like it.

Also I'll be Pestilence if War is taken. I'm more naturally violent, but when I get sick, boooy do I get sick.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

Right, exactly. You an dislike a character while still liking reading about them. There's a difference between love to hate and just plain hate.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

littlebamf wrote: Also I'll be Pestilence if War is taken. I'm more naturally violent, but when I get sick, boooy do I get sick.
I call Black Gambit!

:flame:evil:flame:evil:flame

:gambit

[Edited on 4/9/11 by NachtcGleiskette]
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Crawler »

Issue 15 was pretty good. No reveal, one way or the other, on the "lamp." I still absolutely *LOVE* the way that Archangelypse's wings form a cape.

I don't understand how AoA Blob got there. I guess he went back with Dark Beast when he went through the portal, back to 616?

The idea of what they're doing make so much more sense than what Apocalypse usually did, and Archangelypse feels like a bigger threat than Apocalypse ever was. He's patient, he's cunning, and he's in control. He's frightening.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Crawler wrote:Archangelypse feels like a bigger threat than Apocalypse ever was. He's patient, he's cunning, and he's in control. He's frightening.
Interesting...sound like my kind of villain...

This book just might be worth picking up afterall...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator

Post by littlebamf »

Oh this book is worth it. I cannot repeat enough how good this book is. It's my best X-book of the past several years.

And C, I'm totally with you there. There's none of this cheese, Saturday morning villain edge to Archangelypse. He's completely and utterly beyond insane to the point that he is perfectly sane. He's methodical and as you said, patient and in contol to a degree you rarely see in the bad guy. It's not only what makes him scary but what makes it seem like he really could win this.
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

Just in case some folks don't know it yet, AoA Kurt appeared again in UXF 17, along with a few other AoA characters. I scanned three of the better pages, so check out these URLs if you want to see what's going on there.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb3 ... 5/UXF1.jpg
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb3 ... 5/UXF2.jpg
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb3 ... 5/UXF3.jpg

[Edited on 17/11/11 by Karl]
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I love some of the lines Kurt has in this comic... so glad I decided to get back into the comic market, even if only for this title...
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I'm hearing this title is gonna be great.... I'm so excited.

And yes, Bob, now is a great time to be bouncing back in.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

So I got UXF 18, the first comic I've ever bought that was black-bagged. I enjoyed it, with great artwork and a fitting conclusion, but I must say I was dissappointed to see little teamwork.

SPOILERS

There is no Nightcrawler, a brief Jean appearance, no other aoa X-men. The only members of UXF in the book are Psylocke and Fantomex, unless you count the last page of the book where everyone comes together. Deadpool is reduced to a bloody bag of parts and Deathlok feels love. And so you know... there is death. And an inexpected appearance.

This is a great way to finish the arc, but the lack of Nightcrawler was sad. I guess they were saving that for #19
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

In UXF # 18, AoA Kurt, along with numerous other characters, spends the entire issue injured and out of the action. (The injuries all happened in # 17) All you see is that the injured folks are being carried to safety towards the end of # 18, and even then you have to look close to see Kurt.

A very young version of what appears to be Kurt shows up in what seems to be an alternate universe at the very end of Astonishing X-Men # 44. If you want to see that page, go to http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb3 ... /KidNC.jpg
This is the first of a 4 issue story, so hopefully we will see more of him as the story progresses. He's terribly cute.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Yeah, I knew they were mostly injured... It's just so common to see ridiculous recovery times, especially with Wolverine and Deadpool. I would have liked to see a team assault on Warren is all...
Karl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Karl »

You're right about the fast recovery times, especially for Wolverine. I figured at least he'd be back in action quickly.