New comics

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Lynnieburd
Lubber
Lubber

New comics

Post by Lynnieburd »

Isn't there ever going to be any new nightcrawler comics? what did he get a few measly issues? i have both graphics novels, The Devil Inside and The Winding Way,....also i just got off ebay some comics on him from a few years ago 1-4 i guess? but i mean that's nothing compared to how many wolverine has etc...
So is that is pretty much for him solo? these 2 and the 4 i got on ebay?
i wish there was more..he deserves more hehehe...
he's unlike the other superheros i think....he's more real, more empathetic.....but i must admit the newer comics are lamer in a snese they have to make him more good looking...bigger buffer perfect model looking face....and every single girl in the comics is like a perfect 10..i mean...it makes it less realistic and YEAH it's a comic it's fantasy but..still...makes it less realistic when everyone looks like hollywood...i don't think they were originally meant to be that way...that's new age american superficial bullshit that's changing it..and yeah superman superheros have always been in GOOD condition lol..and good looking but...like wolverine for example...he was this really short ugly bastard..but now they're making him this super hot dude..which is just lame in my opionion..but oh well......
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

New comics

Post by Saint Kurt »

Marvel divides up their characters into strata: Like "first string", "second string"... for lack of a better term. Kind of like how there are starting players in sports I suppose. "First string" characters get a lot of play. "Second String" get less. "Third String" are usually wall paper.

Nightcrawler was never a "first string" character, no matter how cool he is. Wolverine, despite the fact that I've never really been able to relate to him, has been "first string" since the beginning. A few more "first string" Marvel characters that I've never been able to get are Captain America and Iron Man. They're in everything right now and I have no clue why. I find them totally boring.

There are lots of great characters out there who deserve more attention and who get even less than Nightcrawler. The way I see it is, I'm glad Nightcrawler gets the attention he does. He's certainly an underdog at Marvel right now so it's always great when I see him in anything even if he doesn't have the spotlight.

-e
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

New comics

Post by Nandireya »

Very true...though I do consider Kurt an A List X-Man (which is why he actually appears in one of the mainsteam books), and he has a very loyal fanbase, we're just not powerful enough for Marvel to see a solo book for him as a viable option...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

New comics

Post by love_of_bob »

It would be interesting seeing a Kurt series or miniseries written by someone like Warren Ellis (who did a good job with Kurt in Excalibur) or Mark Millar (who apparently likes the character a lot).
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

New comics

Post by idsunki »

He's currently in Uncanny X-Men, and I'm hoping he shows up a little more in the next few issues (he's been pretty absent the last couple).

While he might not be able to sustain a solo book right now, I think a few mini-series could work for him. I know Marvel is trying to restart Marvel Comics Presents! in the near future - maybe next year? - and they are taking suggestions as to who the fans would like to see.

Maybe we could get him a few issues of that?
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Lynnieburd
Lubber
Lubber

New comics

Post by Lynnieburd »

I think we should allllll (every one of us lol) write to marvel (email?) and tell them they need more nightcrawler? don't you think if all of us did it maybe they'd even THINK about it? i mean...if you think about it..they can make ANYONE they want big...it's how much they put out i think...i think he's the most interesting charachter i don't even really read other ones apart from wolverine who isn't nearly as interesting as him....i wish they had comics come out like wolverine does..every month or whatever it is? that'd be soooooo awesome..
Lynnieburd
Lubber
Lubber

New comics

Post by Lynnieburd »

http://www.marvel.com/company/index.htm ... urrent.php

everyone go here and suggest, it can't hurt!
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

New comics

Post by love_of_bob »

Actually, come to think of it, Nightcrawler fans are luckier than most. Most characters have been shafted pretty badly throughout the years, one way or another. Think of Gambit, who seems universally hated by fans and writers alike. Everyone is getting sick of Wolverine at this point and what with the details of his sordid past out, it's getting harder to think of him has a hero (I still luv him, though).
Storm hasn't really been interesting in a decade or so and now she's married off to a comic where the writer is more keen on making her hubby look magnificient than writing the rest of the Marvel Universe in character.
There's Polaris, whom Chuck Austen turned mental for the fun of it, there's Scarlet Witch who suffered the same fate and worse from Bendis. Cyclops has been a hate object for decades. Xavier...I don't even have to say it, do I?
Rachel is just starting to get out from her mommy's shadow.
Jubilee seems to generally be considered annoying and useless. Colossus, the guy who was supposed to have a soul pure enough to kill demons and be a "gentle giant" joined the Acolytes because of his rage and then he almost killed Kitty's boyfriend for kissing her.
Iceman has been around since the beginning and writers STILL don't really know what to do with him. Same with Angel and Beast.

And there's tons of other examples, of course. As it stands right now, it seems Kurt and Kitty are the only two X-men who have been pretty decently treated throughout the years by comparison. They're both generally well-liked, still, and none of them have any "big sins" on their conscience. The worst thing that's happened to Nightcrawler (apart from the six-month gap in Marvel continuity where his personality changed drastically with no explanation) would be The Draco and although some people say it damaged his character, I would beg to differ. It gave Nightcrawler a screwed-up origin, but Nightcrawler the character was never ABOUT his origin. The point of Nightcrawler was always who he is here and now, not who gave birth to him. Plus, that storyline was so stupid that it's fairly easy to dismiss.

I kind of like how he is written in Uncanny, too. I wish for more interaction between the team members in general, but our Kurt is consistently being written as smart, level-headed, strong, kind and wise and that's more than many fans can say for their favorite characters right now.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

New comics

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by love_of_bob
Actually, come to think of it, Nightcrawler fans are luckier than most. Most characters have been shafted pretty badly throughout the years, one way or another.

And there's tons of other examples, of course. As it stands right now, it seems Kurt and Kitty are the only two X-men who have been pretty decently treated throughout the years by comparison.
You muuuuust be joking. Again.

Uh, what about being brainwashed into thinking he was a priest? What about the coma that kept him out of the books for a couple years? What about... oh... the idiotic DEMON FATHER plotline? He's been boring for ages now, with stupid things happening to him, and causing NO reaction or character development. We had a brief oasis in the Nightcrawler series where he had a goddamned personality, at least.

At least he's not dead. Heh.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

New comics

Post by love_of_bob »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
You muuuuust be joking. Again.
Nope.
Uh, what about being brainwashed into thinking he was a priest?
That was another extremely stupid storyline, yes, but I don't see people blaming the character for it like they blame Cyclops or Gambit for the stuff writers piled on them. It's Austen that gets the flack and rightfully so.
What about the coma that kept him out of the books for a couple years?
You mean way back in the Mutant Massacre days? Yes, clearly he was written out at that time because there was no place for him, BUT when he woke up, Excalibur was founded and there Kurt really came into his own. Also, he was in a coma. He wasn't killed, he didn't go insane, he didn't leave forever. Those things, however, have happened to plenty of other characters the writers didn't know what to do with.
What about... oh... the idiotic DEMON FATHER plotline?
I brought that up in my post.

I'm not saying Nightcrawler has been treated WELL throughout the years. He hasn't. I'm certainly not pleased.
But after all this time, he remains one of the few characters that we can still call a "hero" without a moment's hesitation. Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Gambit, Cyclops, Xavier...they all have their smudges, but no one has really been willing to "smudge" Nightcrawler, apparently. It seems most people like him, even though he may not be the #1 favorite. This was illustrated when he won the CBR forum poll for "favorite x-character". I think only one person had him as #1, but most people still had him fairly high on their list. So he won.

I wish he was written better, taken more seriously, made a bigger player in the Marvel Universe, for sure. But looking around at other characters, I see that it could still be a lot worse. I feel for fans of Tony Stark, Reed Richards, Xavier, Scarlet Witch, Cyclops and others.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

New comics

Post by neling4 »

love_of_bob,

What is the CBR forum poll, and where can I find it?

:poke I love these smilies!
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

New comics

Post by Feuerstein »

I agree with love_of_bob. As much as I would love to see a lot more of our favorite elf (to the point where it's almost an obsession; I really need a hobby), Bob's right - Nighty hasn't been that badly abused. We complain, I complain a lot, but in comparison he has been pretty much allowed to be himself. He was adorable pre-Excalibur, amazing during Excalibur, but sort of lost something after returning to the X-men and he's never really gotten that back. But we still see him lots, he's been constant in Uncanny since returning from the priesthood (and, for all the problems Austen caused, at least he put an end to that fiasco), and he gets cute moments here and there. Even his own (his third!) solo series.

So, Bob's right, we've been pretty well treated. I almost feel bad for all the whining I do. Almost. :LMAO
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

New comics

Post by love_of_bob »

Originally posted by neling4
love_of_bob,

What is the CBR forum poll, and where can I find it?

:poke I love these smilies!
The poll is pretty old, so I think you'll have to dig through the CBR forum's archive.

From what I remember, he beat Rogue by only a point or two. He was few people's #1, but in most people's top ten. The characters that were many people's #1, tended to have a bunch of haters as well, so that dragged them down. Nighty is liked by many and hated by few and that gave him the top spot.