who here digs the fuzzy blue elf?

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
bluefuzzy
Lubber
Lubber

Post by bluefuzzy »

who here digs the fuzzy blue elf?;)
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

*bump*

:o Awfully quiet in this thread. You'd almost think the blue man is not very popular around here.

C'mon folks!

:dance One big cheer for the Elf! :dance!
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
elfofdoom
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by elfofdoom »

what do you mean by dig cause he is very cute in a demon way:love
D.croft
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Guys...this whole board is pretty much dedicated to Nightcrawler...isn't it kinda obvious that the character appeals to the members? Why else would we be here?
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
elfofdoom
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by elfofdoom »

true thay why I'm hear:love
D.croft
bluefuzzy
Lubber
Lubber

Post by bluefuzzy »

thnxs for signing this topic
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Nothing sexual, but I sure dig the elf a lot ! ;)

About comic books super heroes, Neil Gaiman said something like : " if you meet them pretty early during your life, they tend to exist forever in a corner of your mind."

I feel like that with Nightcrawler. Because of the ongoing series, with a new issue per month, the elf is someway alive, even if I don't always like how he's portrayed.

I feel the same way with most of the X-men -although not as strongly.
But strangely enough, all the other Marvel and Dc characters seem so much far away.

The X-Men were the super heroes I grew up with, they were my favourite ones, and -even if some comic books are sometimes way better than the X-titles- they still are.
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
psychonaut
Lubber
Lubber

Post by psychonaut »

Hello! I am certainly digging the Elf right now. Of course, my sole exposure to our talented guy is the movie X2 (unless you count X-Men Legends 2 Apocolypse PS2 game, where I play Nightcrawler) so I am way behind you guys lore-wise. I have read some of the comics, mostly X-Factor (the good old days of Havok, Polaris, Multiple Man, Strong Guy, Wolfsbane, and Quicksilver) and New Mutants, and enjoy comic books in general (Sandman, Kabuki, Squee, etc.)

I think what I am so obsessed with right now is Alan Cumming's portrayal of Nightcrawler. He is at the same time so powerful, an escape artist extrordinaire, yet seems vulnerable and almost helpless sometimes. He is humble yet determined, holy but not holier-than-thou. He has his priorities and he doesn't change them for anyone. He's thoughtful and brooding, but when the axe is about to fall, he is decisive and dependable. I've never heard anyone make a German accent so sexy... *shiver* And the way he wraps himself around someone he is going to teleport is almost erotic. What a sensual and otherworldly (no pun intended) experience that would be. I can only imagine how safe and protected that would feel, to have him embrace you and whisk you to safety in the blink of an eye. I know I wouldn't want to let go!

Before I sound like I'm just lusting after the guy, I will say that I too am a time-tested Catholic who has had an unconventional faith-journey and I love that God is his strength as well. I read some of the discussion here over how people felt about the possibility of him becoming a priest, and I just have to say I think he would have made an exceptional one. There would be plenty of objectors in the church, I'm sure, but I think with many Catholics he'd be sought out and seen as a mystic, a saint. Did you ever read Hawthorne's story "The Minister's Black Veil?" Same type of thing. I try to confess my sins on a regular basis, and there are certainly some priests you are a little happier about meeting in there than others, but I can't imagine our Kurt being anything but gentle, encouraging, and compassionate.

I hope this obsession of mine fades to a quieter level soon... I'm a married 31-year-old mom (1 five-year-old daughter) and I know in the back of my mind that I'm crushing on a fictional character and it's probably immature and irrational, but what can you do? Just wait for it to simmer down. Certainly not the first fictional character I've had a crush for. Till then I can get my Nightcrawler fix here-- glad to have found this site. You people are all right! Glad to be part of the community.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

A little off topic, but welcome to the forum physconaut - I think you'll find yourself in good company here :).

I'm a 32 yr old mother of a 5 and a 7 yr old, so rest assured, there are a variety of age groups.

We've got quite an assortment of interests and whatnot here. Enjoy!

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Psychonaut, I love your in-depth, detailed description of Movie Kurt! Very poetic. I like it a lot.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
psychonaut
Lubber
Lubber

Post by psychonaut »

Thanks for your kind words, Northstar and FourPaws. This is a great site and I'm learning a lot about all kinds of X-Men facts and history.

Glad to know I'm not the only one in their thirties who feels a special affection for this character. I'm betting I'm also not the only one who wishes, hope against hope, that she had mutant powers. Even a useless crappy one! The whole concept is just intriguing. The success of the series leads me to believe that a lot of people feel the same way. I used to think it was an ego thing (I can fly, create ice, walk through walls, etc., and YOU CAN'T). But recently I've been thinking that a desire like that stems more from fear and intimidation... that we all wish we had a trick up our sleeve (or a claw up our arm!) to pull out when we feel threatened or just made fun of. Or maybe the desire to be different and unique in a world where it seems harder and harder to stand out. I would love to read a book about the psychology of X-Men!

And in case you don't know, my username (Psychonaut) is from a video game, Psychonauts, where the main character is a boy with mental powers and exceptional agility who was raised in-- that's right! -- the circus. Great game, and it seemed like a fitting userID to have here.

Happy All Saint's Day everyone.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I probably should chime in now. 32, mother of two, and my favorite X-Man has to be Nightcrawler quite simply because I can identify with his faith, his joie de vivre (when the writers allow him to show that), his thoughtfulness, his sense of justice, and seeking the balance between being accepted and being one's self. And of course I'd be partial to a fencer. :engarde
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Originally posted by psychonaut I'm betting I'm also not the only one who wishes, hope against hope, that she had mutant powers. Even a useless crappy one! The whole concept is just intriguing. The success of the series leads me to believe that a lot of people feel the same way. I used to think it was an ego thing (I can fly, create ice, walk through walls, etc., and YOU CAN'T). But recently I've been thinking that a desire like that stems more from fear and intimidation... that we all wish we had a trick up our sleeve (or a claw up our arm!) to pull out when we feel threatened or just made fun of. Or maybe the desire to be different and unique in a world where it seems harder and harder to stand out.
I think that it is pretty safe to say that 99% of the worlds population would like a super power :). As a woman and a mother - I say you already have super powers. We need them to simply survive.

I too agree on the unique and different aspect - I think we all like to have something that sets us 'apart'. Not neccessarily 'better' just - different. I think that society is demanding that we all be homogenous - and that is where we're losing some of our unique identity. People expect you to want the fanciest car, the nicest house, the expensive clothes. If you are some guy living on a hill in a semi-underground house made of recycled tires (yes, I know this man, and yes, he's just really environmentally sound) you are looked on a weird and outcast in a way. Its that herd menality I suppose. Hard to buck that at times.

For mothers I personally think that this is even more of a challenge. Because kids take up a lot of your time, and the things that you used to identify yourself with before, you may not have time for now. I'm just really blessed to have a husband that is really super understanding and lets me still be me - like taking off for 2 weeks to go do disaster work. Not that I don't love being a mother - but its nice for me to have other things to indentify with.

If you are interested in starting to read canon (comic book) nightcrawler - may I suggest the latest series that was put out (12 issues). They are available as trades (TBP's) now. (trades are books made out of several comics - usually 4-6 in one bound form). Trade one and trade two are available at many venues, including your nearest comic book store. IF they don't have it on the shelf - chances are they can order it for you.

[Edited on 1/11/06 by fourpawsonthefloor]
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
psychonaut
Lubber
Lubber

Post by psychonaut »

Angelique, I concur with all the reasons you listed as to why Nightcrawler is so appealing. I bet we have a lot in common!

Fourpaws, you sound like an amazing gal too. Yes, super powers certainly are required to be a parent. And we all want to be different and special. That is one nice thing about having faith in God-- believing you were crafted with care and loved unconditionally.

I really admire people who don't care about convention (like your tire-house friend) and follow their heart.

Thanks for the book recommendations! I am really interested (I knew there was a Nightcrawler series but didn't know if it was considered popular enough to be made into a trade paperback). Now I have both added to my Amazon wishlist and am hoping to receive them for Christmas. Thanks for letting me know!