Where does one begin?

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
markh
Lubber
Lubber

Where does one begin?

Post by markh »

If someone dersired to start reading comics around the Nightcrawler character, which are good comics to purchase?

I notice there is a Nightcrawler series, is this the best place?

Does this comic series adequately present the character of Nightcrawler as he is across the other comics he features in?.

Thanks
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Where does one begin?

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I would say starting with the recent solo series is a good bet. It's a good way to get a handle not just on the character, but also how he's being written currently...

Otherwise? Check out some of the Esstential Xmen stuff, the first Excalibur run...hmm...there's just SO much
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Where does one begin?

Post by idsunki »

I would also recommend the original four issue series from the eighties. He's not written quite like that anymore (or drawn that way, either), but it's a really fun Nightcrawler story/adventure.

I believe Kurt will be featured prominently in the next arc of Uncanny X-Men, so that may be something to watch out for as well. I will second the old school Excalibur back issues, which for the most part aren't too expensive.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Where does one begin?

Post by Saint Kurt »

Giant XMen #1, which is reprinted now is Nightcrawler's now famous introduction (and first meeting of Professor Charles Xavier). It certainly is old school, but old school can be good.

For a whole comic book series, with a whole lot of Nightcrawler though, I would recommend the original Excalibur books. They are a fantastic mix of humor and good story telling. I think that some of Nightcrawler's best moments are in that series. And the good news is that after a very long wait they are putting it out into trade paperbacks! (Before you would have had to search for old issues.)

-e
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Where does one begin?

Post by Angelique »

Aw, Yeah! (starts saving my pennies!)
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Where does one begin?

Post by BAMFCentral »

The Essential X-men trade paper backs are really the way to go lots of story for a cheap price.

Best written Nightcrawler, would be the Excalibur books with Claremont and Davis. They are in tradepaper back now aswell.

While I do like the most recent Nightcrawler series it does assume you know alot about the character, prob the better series to pick up for intro is the First Nightcrawler Series, written by Dave Cockrum.

Also one that is a personal favorite of mine X-Men Unlimited #49 .

For a listing of Nightcrawler stories try here (a bit of a plug sorry) http://bamfcentral.com/nc_stories.asp
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Where does one begin?

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Make sure you don't get the second Nightcrawler limited series (when he was a priest).. it wasn't all that interesting and the art didn't do him justice in my opinion. I say the best place to start would be the Essential X-Men volume that includes Giant Size X-Men #1 (which was one of the first comics I bought :D) and just work your way up from there. Once you've familiarized yourself with him, the Solo would be a great addition to further your newly gained habit:LOL Happy reading!:bamf
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Where does one begin?

Post by Crawler »

The series that made me a Nightcrawler fan doesn't really portray the "usual" Nightcrawler: X-Calibre. It's part of the Age of Apocalypse series and if you can find the "X-Calibre Ultimate Edition", which is the collection of the series, I highly recommend it.

It's a more "bad-ass" version of everyone's favorite blue elf, written by Warren Ellis. Very good.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Where does one begin?

Post by HoodedMan »

You could also do what I do and try to catch up on Ultimate; I quite liked him in there. I just bought Volumes 1 and 2 in a combined book and I'm trying very hard not to read it until I'm on the plane back (I'm not sure of my willpower, so I stapled the bag shut and had someone hide it. Now I just have to make sure I don't go looking for it.)
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.