Updated Spring 2006 - What Marvel Lady Should Nightcrawler be With?

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!

Total votes: 0

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Updated Spring 2006 - What Marvel Lady Should Nightcrawler b

Post by Angelique »

Well, the main reason why I don't think anyone in the current Marvel lineup is a good match for Kurt is because none of them really have anything in common with him besides more or less identifying with the "good guys." Except for Kymri and perhaps Amanda. But being an alternate reality's version of one's self, and being raised in the same family are not the sort of commonalities one should have with a significant other.

And as recently as the latest issues of Uncanny, Rachel only refused to call Scott "Dad," because she was in a snit over his affair with Emma, not because she acknowledged any difference between 616 Scott and her father. Once she got past that, he was "Dad" all over again.

Finally, just for another reason, Kurt had his eye on Ororo at the time, only kissed Rachel because he got caught up in the role of swashbuckling rescuer and clearly wasn't thinking things through, and regretted it. Doesn't bode well for a relationship.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
kurt_the_quick
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by kurt_the_quick »

edit: I redid this post just so I could get all my thoughts out.

I don't think he has ever had serious sexy thoughts about Jean, Lorna, or Emma. especially Emma. he's strictly business with Jean and Lorna because he knows they are taken, and is strictly business with Emma because she is a henious bitch.

I'm wierded out by the idea of him and Jillian, and always had a problem with Amanda and Meggan.

I can't see any relationship beyond friendship with Kitty, Rogue, Cecilia or Christine Palmer.

he'd have to get to know Wanda before anything could happen, and that is not going to happen anytime soon.

so we are now left with: Ororo, Rachel, Cerise, Betsy, Stacy X or Kymri.

I don't know a lot about Kyrmi. I actually thought she was a parallel version of him until about two weeks ago. :eek

Cerise was written to be his longterm girlfriend, and I still think she is an excellent match.

Ororo is another great match, but she is apparently marrying The Black Panther. that's a whole rant in and of itself. :yell

he and Betsy would be a cute couple, but only after a few years of developing a relationship. she was a touch too angsty, but her recent re-intoduction into the universe may have changed that.

go ahead and shoot me, but I think Stacy X would be a great girlfriend if handled by the right writer. :LOL

finally, I like Rachel and Kurt together. look at all that she has been through, I don't think she's all that concerned with convention. she has to rely on what she feels at that moment. and it wouldn't be wierd for Kurt, since he is not from that timeline.

[Edited on 3/22/06 by kurt_the_quick]
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

Even though I am a Kurt/Rachel shipper I feel I shall point out that Kurt/Wanda tears apart your agrument.

What they have in common: Gypsy heritage, found out about parents in later life, adopted, parents are evil(on opposite sides), the are both from Europe, both were around Magic, Kurt was in a family of sorcerers, and Wanda practiced it.

You say that Kyrmi and Kurt have a lot in common, and I wonder what they have in common besides being blue and a compotent swordfighter, I have those old issues of Excalibur and I didn't really see too much in common.

For Rachel calling Cyke, dad, I believe that their realationship is much like that of T.J. and Kurt's, T.J. acknowleges that he is biologically her father, but not the man who raised her. Rachel and T.J. calling Scott and Kurt "Dad" is a sign of affection even though they aren't their real dads. I can't imagine Rachel going up to Scott and saying "Hey dad remember that song I liked when I was a kid?" because Scott wouldn't know what she was talking about, Scott and Jean never fornicated and produced Rachel in Earth 616, so Scott would know nothing about Rachel's childhood years a.k.a what her favorite toy was, song, show, etc. If Rachel was smart and she should be she realizes the difference betwen her Dad and her "dad"(616 Scott).

As for the Storm/Kurt/Rachel thing we can't really say that he had his eye only for Storm, you can't prove it or disprove it, it's speculation. After all Claremont was trying to set up a Logan/Storm/Kurt/Rachel love quadangle, so Kurt could easily have had feeling for both Storm and Rachel. Is it that hard to imagine?
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Well, I'm not talking about things in common like similar parentage or upbringing. I think those are, after all, superficial commonalities. Similar upbringings do not ensure compatible personalities.

Now I'm not saying Kurt has to be paired up with a Catholic for it to work, but I think the best match for Kurt should appreciate all things near and dear to him, especially his faith, his values, and his taste for high adventure, and not just share superficial commonalities.

If I remember correctly, things said in Uncanny 453 did not really indicate Kurt had any real feelings for Rachel. At least nothing that would bode well for a lasting relationship. When questioned about having kissed her, a morose "I wish I remained celibate," is not the response of someone who'd like to do that again.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

True...Kurt and Wanda do have a lot in common...except (in 616) her insanity...and though I’m not keen on Kurt and Rachel (even though he’s a different Kurt I’d still be weirded out by starting up with a guy who looks and acts exactly like a guy that help raise me), they may not have as much in common, but they’ve shared a lot of common experiences, they’ve been through a hell of a lot together (the same can be said for Kurt and Ororo)…and that can form a bond…
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

This is a quote from uncannyxmen.net talking about the issue in question, I've underlined the contradictory statement
They continue to talk about relationships. Logan and Kurt both have feelings for Ororo. Logan claims that they just enjoy each other’s company, while Kurt claims that dancing with Ororo seemed like the most natural thing in the world. At the same time,Kurt maintains that he has feeling for Rachel.. Both he and she have changed so much since their time in Excalibur. Wolverine wonders why X-Men can conquer any super foe, but dating is another matter entirely. Suddenly the sky clouds and darkens. Logan suspects that Ororo has learned something she didn’t like.
There, while I do not have the pleasure of owning said issue, it can be seen from the summery that you accidentally misinterpreted what Kurt was saying.

Anyway who's to say that where you come from is superficial. I mean wouldn't it be a plus to be able to talk about something that you grew up with, and have your girlfriend/wife etc. know what you're talking about. I can see the conversation now.

Kurt: Honey, let me tell you about my times with my gypsy caravan.

(Insert name here): Don't bother, let's just go on a big, grand, swashbucking adventure.

Kurt:But we did that last week.

So, where you are from and where you grew up are not superficial qualities. Nothing ensures compatible personalites, the woman you described for Kurt sounds like Kurt with two X chromosones(Which I guess Kyrmi is in someway.) and I can't imagine Kurt would find that very tempting.

Even though the "opposites attract" saying isn't entirely true but I would believe that people would want someone that is a little different from them.

True be told, there probably is no "perfect" woman or guy for anyone, everyone is bound to have some traits that their wife/girlfriend find annoying.

To end my current post, I don't really see the need for whoever Kurt dates to be Catholic, I mean....wow....Rachel's a Protestant, big streach. I don't think religion really plays a big factor in the love lives of the X-Men, I mean Kitty is a Jew and she is currently dating Colossus who is atheist. Siryn, who is a Irish Catholic, dated Multiple Man, to tell you the truth I don't know what religion he is, and Warpath, who follows Native American spirtually.

Nightcrawler has dated Amanda, who pratices Magic and is a Gypsy, then Cerise, some unknown alien religion, and has had a crush on Storm, who probably believes in some obscure African religion(worships some sort of goddess from what I've read). So it seems to me that Nighty doesn't really have religion as a extremly important factor in his choice of women.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Well, apparently, in the Marvel universe, openly religious women of any denomination are rather in short supply. So it seems that Kurt really doesn't have many options.

And as a devout Catholic married to a nominal Protestant, sometimes the religious differences even there are a big stretch. (Poor Barry only finally began to understand why I'd cringe when he'd call the Holy Eucharist "crackers and grape juice.")

I can see people from the same places also not having much to say about it. My husband and I are both from California, for instance. And we don't often talk about that, because what's there to talk about? We both know what that state is like. And neither of us really identify as Californians, or at least haven't in years, though my San Fernando Valley accent does occassionally rear its ugly little head.

And as much as I love UXN, really all they do is summaries, so I don't expect them to get everything right. Naturally, Logan and Kurt talking about girls is going to get skimmed over, and certain quotes will be skipped. Like that one. (Trying to find an old post that showed the exact panel where he said that.)

Tyros
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Tyros »

I still think Christine would have been great! There was great chemistry between them and great possibillities for a relationship. They just seemed to get along so well and their friendship/romance ups and down seemed very realistic and natural. Too bad that nothing will happen there, it could have been a great. :(
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

Well, Christine is winning, Tyros, so, you're not the only one! I liked their friendship too - it's nice not just jumping in to something that's *only* romance.

kurt_the_Quick - What's wrong with Meggan? Brian was a jerk - I thought they made a great couple - though it turned out they were never really interested in each other quite that way :)

Amanda and Kurt were one of the healthiest relationships IMHO (BEFORE she was was his sister) Check out Hot Date! and Spiderman

Rogue and Kitty I'd never want to see him with - But Cecilia and Christine would both make great love interests!

I included Jean, Lorna and Emma to be complete, though I always thought he had a certain fondness for Jean.

Betsy would be good too, but I don't know about Stacy X - I didn't see any chemistry there - and she wasn't respecting him telling her he wasn't interested.

Kymri's his doppelganger! But naming their son TJ in The End was kind of cute.

Wanda and Kurt have so mcuh in common! And they fought together in those two Excalibur books. It's a shame she's insane and Nocturne will never be born in this universe :(

Ororo marrying Black Panther :? That came out of no where. But, at the same time, it's nice to see her spending time in Africa - helping people I'd hope. Maybe Kurt and she will have a chance once the marriage breaks up.

Cerise and Kurt have the least in common of all of them! She's this superstrong Amazon from a people that don't pair bond or mate and knows nothing about Earth traditions. But, they were in love for awhile. I don't think they worked as a long-term couple though. (Poor Kurt was just lonely, and I think she loved him more than he loved her back)

I'm starting to see how Rachel could fall for Kurt, it doesn't seem wierd to me at all now. But, I'd think he would have some reservations. Because she looks so much like Jean and talks about being the daughter of Kurt's old teammates/pseudo family - I would think it would be wierd for him. Especially her showing up so soon after Jean died (the first time)

And the conversation in the bookstore/coffee shop can be read either way, I think. I'll transcribe it, because I can.

Kurt and Logan go into a bookstore to drink coffee at a table by the window.
L: Kurt, stop fidgeting!
K:I'm in public, As myself! It still makes me nervous..
L : You see anyone noticing?
(No one except a brunette with hearts in her speech bubble)
K:That makes me more nervous
L:Elf, You really should get out more often
(The brunette, who wears her hair in a long braid, slips Kurt her phone number - there are more hearts)
K:I hate you.
L:World would be a better place.
*Talk about Sage
K:Right. Well, as long as we are jyst sitting here...what is it with you and Ororo?
L:Nuthin'. It was a date. We enjoy each other's company. What's with you an' Rachel?
K:Ach...I think I was better off staying celibate.
L:That would break some hearts.
K: Don't make fun!
L:Just statin' a fact.
K: Dancing with Ororo seemed like the most natural thing in the world.
L:But, you kissed Rachel
K:Equally natural. It was fun.
L:You guys were teammates in Excalibur, ever feel that way back then?
K:No...She's changed, I've changed.
L:But, you don't know where it's going.
K:We were...playing in the danger room. Things go a little carried away...I'm a fool for making so much of it.
L:What is it with X-men?! We;ll tackle Magneto or even Galactus without a second thought. But heaven forbid any of us, man or woman, can ask someone outon a flamin' date! Pop the question, get an' answer, deal with it, an' move on.
K:Easy for you to say.
(Down-time over - back into battle as the coffee shop is attacked)
:shakeno I'm such a loser. But, I think he meant when he said that about remaining celibate was that he didn't want to deal with the turmoil that making choices about romance would bring.

Bonus scans - Swashbuckling yet wise Nightcrawler:sammy:engarde
X-men meet Teen Titan's Starfire:kiss
Adorable Nightcrawler:love
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/com ... igion.html <----this is a link that has the religions of all the major Marvel characters. I'm sure you will find enough openly religious women.

Anyway to prove that in was not uncannyxmen.net that got it wrong in their summery

This is from X-axis
However, I think this issue flags up one of the points where Claremont has been going wrong of late. Kurt and Logan break off from the story to have a chat about Kurt's romance subplots. Awkward as Kurt's attraction to Ororo and Rachel may be, at least it's a recognisable human emotion. In this scene, the two heroes are acting at least somewhat like real people.
So that is another place that contradicts the line you believe that Kurt said. Both of these websites are held in high regard across the web, X-Axis has been around since 1999 and Uncannyxmen has been around for a while.

Anyway I feel I've kinda hijacked this thread, y'all. :P

ADDED THIS IN:

Thanks for getting that Chic, it can be spinned either way, but your view of that he thinks he should have stayed away from Rachel and Storm makes sense.

[Edited on 3/24/2006 by confusedelf]
kurt_the_quick
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by kurt_the_quick »

Originally posted by confusedelf
http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/com ... igion.html <----this is a link that has the religions of all the major Marvel characters
neat link
Significant Supporting Characters

Name: J. Jonah Jameson
Role: Peter Parker's boss; Spider-Man's denouncer
Publisher: Marvel
Religious Affiliation: hates Spider-Man
I hope that's not a typo :LOL
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

All right, but this is a site that counts some people I wouldn't have even guessed even by having read the comics as Catholic. I mean... Polaris? And it even admits, when you click on the links, that a good portion, if not the majority identified with any particular religion, are only nominal adherents at most.

Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I know I haven't posted in this thread in a while, so please bear with my outdated responses..

Chicory: In the case of Ultimate having another gay character, I'm not saying they shouldn't (I think it'd be a nice change to maybe have a lesbian character), the problem is that in a fictional setting, having a bunch of characters that are too similar would kinda be beating a dead horse.. When Colossus was still in the closet, there was so much hype and speculation about him, which was good for the book cause some readers really wanted to know if he was in fact gay, so I think going through that again would make it look like they only made Colossus gay for shock value.. it's kinda like when a character is killed off and you think "Wow, that's deep.. I'm gonna miss Jean" and then two months later, they come back.. it just takes away from the whole dramatic effect.
-As for Psylocke, I haven't read any issues of Ultimate yet (just the summaries at UXN) so I wasn't sure how old she was, so I guess that pairing would be off.. and I'm still under the assumption that Dazzler will want to be with Angel when she wakes up, but I think her and Kurt would be cool together (a punk Nightcrawler would look great:eek), which I'm guessing may be the reason Angel was taken off the book to begin with..

Back to the Kurt/Rachel debate, I think that she genuinely likes him, and he likes her back.. in Uncanny 459 (conclusion of World's End) for example, once Rachel and Storm were stopped by Psylocke, Kurt immediately ran to Rachel's aid (despite his shouting 'Ororo' along with Bishop), so I think he's kinda getting over Ororo.. I think I mentioned it before, but Kurt and Rachel were both specifically recruited by Brubaker to remain on the team for his run, so I'm hoping he will deal with their chemistry and build upon their budding relationship

And as for the upbringings issues, I don't think a character's origins has an effect on who they're compatible with.. Quicksilver for example lived the same life as Wanda and he married an Inhuman, so I don't think Kurt would have a problem accepting someone elses lifestyle (as confusedelf has so eloquently displayed, Kurt doesn't really have a particular preference, so I'm sure religion isn't an issue with him)
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

It may be a matter of preference, or because his options at this point seem limited to be dating outside his faith or dating no one at all.

But religion, or at least a healthy understanding of it and a compatibility of world views is, in the real world, much more important a commonality that many people would think. No, couples don't have to be of the same religion to get along. But if they don't appreciate and respect each other's devotion, that could be a cause of serious friction. For that reason, I could almost see a devout atheist getting along better with, say, a devout Catholic than a nominal Catholic would. Because to the devout- atheist or religious- belief and strength of conviction, whatever it may be, are important things. Even so, there are such things as irreconcileable differences. For instance, someone with the Catholic preference for natural family planning could run into serious issues if married to someone who insists on artificially contracepting.

Sometimes I get the impression Marvel just plain doesn't think things like that through when they pair up characters. I suppose romantic angst and dysfunction sell books, but there comes a point when it's just ridiculous.

And having gone through a lot with a person is, by itself, not a good basis for a lasting relationship.

[Edited on 24/3/06 by Angelique]

Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

Okay....basis on a realationship differ from person to person, some people may have religion high up on that list some may not. I believe that there is a pretty good list of reasons that having a girlfriend of the same religion is important to Kurt, otherwise he would have hooked up with Wolfsbane long ago.
I think that sharing experinces can build a soild realtionship, haven't you ever seen those movies where there are two people(guy and gal) who have to go on a grand adventure together and end of saving each other a lot and experincing things together with an undertone of sexual tension :P like Banshee and Emma in the early Gen X.

Anyway weither you like the Kurt/Rachel ship or not you must agree it is the one that has the highest probability of happing in the near future.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Angelique
For instance, someone with the Catholic preference for natural family planning could run into serious issues if married to someone who insists on artificially contracepting.
Unless that Catholic had already engaged numerous times in sinful premarital sex. Which Nightcrawler definitely has.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

Oh...good point..

Let us see he has had sex(well if he has genitals): with: Amanda and Anjule at the least....probably more :shrug.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

That doesn't mean he's given up on trying to be a better Catholic, though. And consider that he made a stab at the priesthood, celibacy, and all that afterward... no, once a fornicator doesn't mean always a fornicator.

And, of course, I could cite those affairs as examples of Marvel simply not thinking these things through.

It seems that just how devout a Catholic Kurt is doesn't depend on logical development of character, but just on what the writer's mood is at the moment.

Oh, and I've seen the movies. And I've also had some real-world experience going through a lot of stuff with people.

Hey, if sticking together through hell and high water is enough to ensure a solid relationship, I would have married my bipolar ex-fiance who refused to take his meds, because I was there for him through the fallout of his divorce from his abusive, unfaithful, ex-wife, I was there for him when he started recovering memories of childhood abuse, he was there for me and my family when my grandfather died and my brother's kidney problems were diagnosed.... Make no mistake- there was a definite bond, not easily broken there. But we would have been miserable if we remained together.

[Edited on 24/3/06 by Angelique]

NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

IIRC...he dropped out (or was considering it) of the priesthood in part due to the lack of poon....
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

IIRC, he was actually told he knew the way out because Father Whitney couldn't be bothered to help him address his questions and conflicted emotions.

kurt_the_quick
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by kurt_the_quick »

whoops, sorry for being late responding, I just skimmed and thought my post had been missed by everyone.
Originally posted by chicory

kurt_the_Quick - What's wrong with Meggan? Brian was a jerk - I thought they made a great couple - though it turned out they were never really interested in each other quite that way :)
she just bothers me. the idea of someone who changes everything about themselves including their appearance just to satisfy someone else. Dave's Long Box recently debated this.

then again, I have not had a chance to read the early claremount excaliber yet. maybe I'm judging too harshly.
Amanda and Kurt were one of the healthiest relationships IMHO (BEFORE she was was his sister) Check out Hot Date! and Spiderman
right, BEFORE she was his sister. then it got wierd...
Rogue and Kitty I'd never want to see him with - But Cecilia and Christine would both make great love interests!
Christine and Cecilia I thought were interesting because they were outsiders. but so much of his adult life is wrapped up in the x-men, I just have trouble seeing him with someone unfamiliar to the group.
I included Jean, Lorna and Emma to be complete, though I always thought he had a certain fondness for Jean.
fondness, yeah, but nothing beyond that.
Betsy would be good too, but I don't know about Stacy X - I didn't see any chemistry there - and she wasn't respecting him telling her he wasn't interested.
yeah, like I said, shoot me. :P
Kymri's his doppelganger! But naming their son TJ in The End was kind of cute.
...but still wierd...
Wanda and Kurt have so mcuh in common! And they fought together in those two Excalibur books. It's a shame she's insane and Nocturne will never be born in this universe :(
the 616 character is just too different for it to work. but you never know, maybe a parallel Scarlet Witch will tumble into his life.
Ororo marrying Black Panther :? That came out of no where. But, at the same time, it's nice to see her spending time in Africa - helping people I'd hope. Maybe Kurt and she will have a chance once the marriage breaks up.
:LOL already planning for the break up? beautiful!! *hugs*
Cerise and Kurt have the least in common of all of them! She's this superstrong Amazon from a people that don't pair bond or mate and knows nothing about Earth traditions. But, they were in love for awhile. I don't think they worked as a long-term couple though. (Poor Kurt was just lonely, and I think she loved him more than he loved her back)
I think I just liked it because it was a relatively normal relationship for once. she wasn't just outside of family circle, she wasn't even from Earth.

I'm being harsh to the idea of insest, and I shouldn't be one to judge. God knows I'm interested in relationships that don't fit in with the traditional nuclear family structure. I apologize to anyone I may have offended, it's just not something I'm used to.
I'm starting to see how Rachel could fall for Kurt, it doesn't seem wierd to me at all now. But, I'd think he would have some reservations. Because she looks so much like Jean and talks about being the daughter of Kurt's old teammates/pseudo family - I would think it would be wierd for him. Especially her showing up so soon after Jean died (the first time)
he's a liberal guy. he wouldn't have a problem with dating someone younger. I'm not sure how the ages all work out, but I get the impression that the original team is about 5-10 years older than the second team. and he has gotten to know Racheal, and I think that also means he knows he has to throw away convention with her.
And the conversation in the bookstore/coffee shop can be read either way, I think. I'll transcribe it, because I can.

Kurt and Logan go into a bookstore to drink coffee at a table by the window.
L: Kurt, stop fidgeting!
K:I'm in public, As myself! It still makes me nervous..
L : You see anyone noticing?
(No one except a brunette with hearts in her speech bubble)
K:That makes me more nervous
L:Elf, You really should get out more often
(The brunette, who wears her hair in a long braid, slips Kurt her phone number - there are more hearts)
K:I hate you.
L:World would be a better place.
*Talk about Sage
K:Right. Well, as long as we are jyst sitting here...what is it with you and Ororo?
L:Nuthin'. It was a date. We enjoy each other's company. What's with you an' Rachel?
K:Ach...I think I was better off staying celibate.
L:That would break some hearts.
K: Don't make fun!
L:Just statin' a fact.
K: Dancing with Ororo seemed like the most natural thing in the world.
L:But, you kissed Rachel
K:Equally natural. It was fun.
L:You guys were teammates in Excalibur, ever feel that way back then?
K:No...She's changed, I've changed.
L:But, you don't know where it's going.
K:We were...playing in the danger room. Things go a little carried away...I'm a fool for making so much of it.
L:What is it with X-men?! We;ll tackle Magneto or even Galactus without a second thought. But heaven forbid any of us, man or woman, can ask someone outon a flamin' date! Pop the question, get an' answer, deal with it, an' move on.
K:Easy for you to say.
(Down-time over - back into battle as the coffee shop is attacked)
:shakeno I'm such a loser. But, I think he meant when he said that about remaining celibate was that he didn't want to deal with the turmoil that making choices about romance would bring.
that's the impression I picked up. he doesn't want to hurt anyone. but that is one good thing about Ororo being taken (:yech) : he now is free to date Racheal.
kurt_the_quick
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by kurt_the_quick »

IIRC, he was actually told he knew the way out because Father Whitney couldn't be bothered to help him address his questions and conflicted emotions.
that and he was evil... or something... that arc still gives me a headache.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

He wasn't evil...but he was part of the Church of Humanity...and he was helping them make Kurt pope or something...he actually admitted that he'd grown quite fond of him before he died...something he had expected to do...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

I liked Father Whitney a lot in the Nightcrawler Solo (2nd series). Mentoring a mutant like Kurt may have driven him to drink, but I was very disappointed to see him betray his former student like that :()

Confused> Nice link! (I also like JJJ's choice of religions :LOL) I guess Firebird's the only other devout Catholic on that list. Though I do question how devout Nightcrawler actually is, trying better or not.
Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
Unless that Catholic had already engaged numerous times in sinful premarital sex. Which Nightcrawler definitely has.
True. On second thought maybe Firebird would reject him on the grounds that he isn't devout enough for her. 616 Kurt is not where near as dedicated as X2 Nightcrawler. He questions too much and has always struck me as being a pragmatic realist about a lot of things.

Kurt_the_Quick> Thanks for the link to the Long Box! I must be in the extreme minority for liking Meggan's character. She had so much potential - it's not her fault the writers didn't do anything with her! Nightcrawler was a great friend to her while they were working together, very supportive and nurturing of her strength and confidence. They weren't a romantic couple, though people assumed they were :shakeno I wouldn't have minded if Nightcrawler had been the one to take her away from Brian, but I would have far preferred she'd found the independence to leave herself :cry

Christine is probably the healthiest match on the list - being outside the X-teams. Also, I don't think Kurt's ever dated a mainstream human before - so it would be something different for the character.

Cecilia's a mutant who has gone on adventures with them all - so, she's not really an outsider. And Rachel is only 2 or 3 years younger than Kurt. It's just her close resemblance to Jean and the whole Phoenix thing that I would think Kurt would find wierd.

Ororo will be back :D This whole Africa thing is just a version of the superhero strategy of faking their own death when they want to go on vacation. She just needs some time out.

Blue_Demon I see your point about doing the same gimmick too often gets old. But, I don't think revealing Ultimate Nightcrawler to be gay or bi has to be done for shock value. It could be just an oh moment - that's who he is left-handed/gay. It's not like they have a quota of only being able to have two.

I completely agree that lesbians are underrepresented though. I guess if Mystique and Xavier used to be a couple, and she's with Mags now it's possible there was never a Destiny :cry. I guess there's always Karma.

I don't know how this whole genital debate got started, but Confused, thisand this are for you. :LOL

I wonder if Cerise can be added to the list of women Kurt has had an affair with :? And since she's a Shi'ar bird alien... well, I won't say anything more :shifty

[Edited on 26/3/06 by chicory]
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

It seems that just how devout a Catholic Kurt is doesn't depend on logical development of character, but just on what the writer's mood is at the moment.
Ya think? hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. *prays for atheist writers*
Originally posted by chicory
I liked Father Whitney a lot in the Nightcrawler Solo (2nd series). Mentoring a mutant like Kurt may have driven him to drink, but I was very disappointed to see him betray his former student like that :()
This made me laugh. So Kurt "drove him to drink" huh? He wasn't already a drunk because he's a sad lonely old priest?
616 Kurt is not where near as dedicated as X2 Nightcrawler.
Thank God! Half the reason I despise X2 Kurt is because he's such a preachy tool... er, I mean so dedicated.
He questions too much and has always struck me as being a pragmatic realist about a lot of things.
Question EVERYTHING. :P

And am I the only one who even read that fucking thing? He DID NOT EVER "drop out" of the priesthood unless the definition of dropping out can be extended to being told he was never even a contender and him going: "NOOOOOOO!! NOOOO! This cannot be!! .... well, whatever, I guess. Let's all forget it never happened."

Father Whitney was retconned into never being a real priest. (Not a Catholic one, anyway.) He was a spy. All Kurt's memories of "becoming a priest" except for Father Whitney were memory implants or whatever they call them now. None of the other X-Men had the slightest clue he was deluded into thinking they attended some priest-making ceremony for him.

I swear, no one else has read it. Not even the guy that wrote the Nightcrawler series who had some random security guard somehow know about it. It was a conspiracy. The only one who ever thought Kurt was going to be a priest was Kurt.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir