Priest Kurt: Why I saw it coming

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Nightcrawler ZERO »

I wasn't surprised when Kurt became a priest. I saw it coming all along. Here's why:

The original X-Men cartoon, which included Nightcrawler, never made it past 1 episode. I never heard why, but one theory I've been told was that parent's groups disaproved of Kurt's demonic appearance, saying he was encouraging devil worship.

Enter X-Men: The Animated series. Kurt guest starrred in two episodes, and in both they were careful to play up his religion. He lived in a monastary, and constantly talked about God.

How does this affect the comics? When the people who watched the cartoon started buying comics, they wanted familiar characters. (Much the same reason for "Ray Park" Toad)

Thus, Priest Kurt was inevitable. Thankfully, however, it is coming to an end.
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Post by little Blue Lucy »

Thank God!;)
You know I think it first really hit me with the confession scene in Excalibur 75.:ick:
Vala: "Hello."
Daniel: "What the hell are you doing here?"
Vala: "Isn't this my room?"
Daniel: "Noooo… your room is across the hall… with the… guard in front of it."
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"
Daniel: "No, we shalln't."
Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member #11 :engarde

:respectnc and they'll respect you, back.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

well i think y ou are on to something there, i have long blamed his depiction in the Animated Series for him becoming a priest in the comics :(
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

i moped for days!!! but i guess it's over now *sighs in relief*
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

I blame the Animated Series for a lot of things.
Generaly many misconceptions about characters, storylines and such among fans who got into X-Men from the show.
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Warning: Ranting Ahead!

What I find higly chagrining is the fact that they felt they had to play up his religion to keep in good standing with the public. What public? Born agains? I mean the main comic purchasers, the people who really make a difference in sales, they know how Nighty really is and they never threatened to stop reading the series with Nightcralwer if his religion wasn't played up! What's more if it's true what you said about parents and Pryde of the X-Men, then exscuse me but I find that extremely sh*tty! I mean it's pretty darn blatantly obvious if you watch that Kurt is not bad! In fact that's the whole point! Someone looking supposedly demonic doesn't automatically make them evil, and it doesn't mean kids are going to become devil worshippers or God knows what crap! Nightcrawler obviously dissaproves of badness (regardless of his Catholocism). So how in the hell could he influence something like that just by the way he looks? Geez grow up people!:rolleyes:
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"

Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

i know! they went out of their way to make Kurt a likeable and selfless character in Pryde of the X-Men, he was certainly more likeable than in TAS. displaying not one single character trait that could be considered bad. and just because of the way he looks he's labeled a demo...wait a sec.... that is what he goes thru in the comics, huh? :p in any case, it should have been obvious he was in no way an evil character. but the parents in question probably did not even really watch it, merely saw the character design and that's that, they made up thier mind. thankfully things seem to have changed with Evolution, i don't think they've even mentioned if he's religious at all in Evo.

i'm making no sense, am i? i'll go...
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Good heavens you're making plenty of sense!:)
I know I was actually thinking of the irony (if that's the right word) of that. These parents reacting the same way to seeing Nighty as so many have in the comics. It's totally unfair and frustrating! I wish people would always realize that someone isn't bad just because they look different!
and yeah I'm pretty sure he's not too religious at all in Evolution. He's just a sweet kid!

Betablue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Betablue »

My take on the whole priest mess was a bit, shall we say, shallower:

Claremont was asked to come back to the Merry Land of X. (I use passive tense there because I don't know who actually did the asking. I just know that under no circumstances would I have done it.) He took a quick look at the X-landscape, and at the all-new, all-shock-and-hype Marvel, and thought, "By gum, I'm gonna do shocking things, too! There won't be an unshocked monkey in the whole darn house when I'm through!" So he proceeded to do what I politely label as "impulsive" things to the X-people--and the biggest butt-pluck of all was Kurt becoming a priest.

So, yeah: any yob with even an eighth of a brain can see that Kurt is a good, decent, religious fellow WITHOUT his being a priest. But this is MARVEL IN THE ERA OF MAX. And ULTIMATE. And giving readers gut-aches and headaches is a GOOD THING. Isn't it...?
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

That's so damn righ! and besides i always thougth being a priest and having a demonic look with pointy ears, tail and faings sounded extremely ridiculous to me! it didn't give me only a headache but a big pain in the ass too! i think Claremont was good but when he returned he wasn't consistent in his ideas: BEWARE supermarkets, the marathon for shopping meat products is already begun! :D
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

Reads Betablue's post, nods, hums "shock the monkey" to himself...
LoneWolf21
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by LoneWolf21 »

Just tossing in my own two cents...(or whatever you're monetary unit may be) I posted something similiar over at X-Fan a ways back.

A lot of writer's have this bad habit when they handle Kurt: They focus on one aspect of his personality, and nothing else. It's pretty annoying in my opinion. Sometimes his religious side dominated (Like in Joe Casey's recent Uncanny run, and to a lesser extent during the Revolution, where Kurt was but a prest in training) this really became noticable during the later Excalibur run, where the "the fun loving swashbuckling ladies man" aspect of Nightcrawler almost became too much of a defining thing for him (remember the "pirate" look he sported for awhile?), almost making him static. A lot of writers just made Kurt completely that and ignored everything else, which annoyed me to no end, because there is more to Kurt than just jokes and swords (and vice-versa with the religion). Love it or hate it, at least the priest thing broke some of the stale mold off, until that ended up dang near being the end all be all of Kurt, until now. (and now, hopefully Chuck Austen can find a happy medium between the different aspects of Kurt, instead of focusing on one trait of Kurt's personality and running with it like a lot of other writers seem to do)
InterNutter
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by InterNutter »

What gets me is that nobody's really latched on to the 'Gypsy' thing...

Aught to be fun to watch if anyone decides to overenhance *that*. Heheheheheh ^_^
The one and only InterNutter (as seen on FFN and NFN)
http://www.internutter.org
http://www.nutfiction.net <---Nutfiction.net! *THE* place to host fanfic [Now back online! Huzzah!]
LoneWolf21
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by LoneWolf21 »

Originally posted by InterNutter
What gets me is that nobody's really latched on to the 'Gypsy' thing...

Aught to be fun to watch if anyone decides to overenhance *that*. Heheheheheh ^_^
Hey that's a good point! I never noticed that the gypsy part of Kurt has never been overenchanced (and is rarely touched upon, now that I think about it...) like his other personality aspects have.
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

I wonder how they would go about that?
Personally, what you said Lone, I'd rather have him be too swashbuckly than too priesty.:P I do think Mr. Austen is going to get him back to the fun yet responsible Kurt that we all know and love.

silvermouse
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by silvermouse »

...supposedly my family on Mom's side is gypsy descended, so uh...definitely would love for that to be played up. A LOT. Just to humor me!
"We don't need another hero, we don't need to know the way home. All we want is life beyond the thunderdome." "Words fail, buildings tumble, the ground opens wide. Light beams down from heaven, she stands before my eyes. She's actual size but she seems much bigger to me."
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

This is interesting... I don't believe that dreams predict the future and all that, but I think perhaps my mum does because she has this book with all these dream meanings in it, and a priest evidently is an omen of misfortunes to come!:P

ahmed
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by ahmed »

heh. Philosophic discussions on a comic book character... Some people in the world might have never thought it possible...not me...especially not now...:)
"Earthwormearthwormearthwormearthworm Jim! Hoo-ray for him!!!"

"Eat Dirt, evildoer!!!!!"

"By The Great Worm, whose segments stretch across the infinite universe."

Coalition for 'Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#8

Teen Scrawlers #1
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

You certainly are droll arent you!:smirk::laugh:
You know that's definitely a word which doesn't sound like it should! I mean the definition is delightfully ammusing, even clever, but (to me anyway) it sounds like it means boring!:P:laugh:

Frumious Bandersnatch
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Frumious Bandersnatch »

earwigginess is a word to! ...just thought i'd mention it...
Ayee! Look! Its a Boggie...and his frumious Bandersnitch!
Shouldnt that be Bandersnatch?
Nope...Too small

Never double date with a buddy who can teleport. He will vanish as soon as the bill arrives. Damn elf
~Wolverine

I am C.o.C.Ker #15
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Are you sur that's how you spell it?
I can't find it on dictionary.com and the closest thing the Funk and Wagnalls has is earwigging!

Nightfollower
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Nightfollower »

WHOA WHOA, HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!!!

Kurt's leaving the priesthood? When? Why? What issue? I've actually only just started reading Uncanny, beginning at no. 407!

Why did I not hear this before? I KNEW something sus was going on!

I don't think Kurt should leave the priesthood. I don't know why, but I think Father Wagner is a good character.

Congrats on pointing those out, N/Zero.
Nightfollower.

Insert sig here.

LiveJournal
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

You've only started readcing, huh? That, my friend is why you don't mind Priest Kurt. He's not a bad character as a priest, but when you look at what he USED TO BE, then you see that not only is Father Wagner the complete opposite of the Nightcrawler developed over 25 years, but he's also no where near as cool as he was before he started seminary.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

*reads Nightfollowers post and chokes on her carrot stick*

I'm 100 percent with Nighty Zero here, get some back issues to read, and THEN see if you like Priestcrawler so much. Until the last couple issues, it's as if there's this whole new character with Nightcrawler's name. The Nighty of the last couple years, with very few exceptions, is NOT Nightcrawler.
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

I only just got back into the comics after the movie came out, and before that I only followed them a little in the early nineties, but the Essential volumes really showed me who the real Kurt is. I suggest you get your hands on those, Nightfollower.