The Winding Way (Nightcrawler #7-11) SPOILERS on last 2 page

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Yes it is Jill. :)

Perhap's you should start from the end : The Excalibur TPB is among the last ones.

"EXCALIBUR CLASSIC VOLUME 1: THE SWORD IS DRAWN TPB

Written by Chris Claremont, art by Alan Davis.

Believing the X-Men to be dead, Nightcrawler and Shadowcat vow to keep the dream alive alongside Captain Britain and the metamorphis Meggan -- but the Warwolves have Phoenix on the run and she leads them to London, right into the formation of the X-Men's first foreign franchise. The Warwolves are on our heroes like a cheap suit (Or is that the other way around?) and Chris Claremont doesn't waste any time in setting up the labyrintine plots his fans know him best for. Aliens, intrigue and Arcade. The mystery of the Hellfire Club's Courtney Ross begins here. Guest-starring the Juggernaut. Collects Excalibur #1-5 and Bookshelf.

176 pages, $19.99, in stores on Nov. 16. "

My favourite NC comic-book, along with the current ongoing.
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

no, Diablo... i searched with the 'find in this page' option and it could find absolutely no mention of the word Excalibur... not near the top, not near the bottom, no where. the word 'excalibur' isn't anywhere on that page. i would think the list is out of date, that they put a new list in place of the old one, except it's dated, so i dunno :.
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

It's there Bamfette. It's towards the bottom.
Dave, your creations brought joy to my life and inspired my imagination. R.I.P.

Insanity is all in the mind...
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

are you sure you guys aren't looking at a cached version of the page? clear your cache and look again, cus i swear to you, it's not there. I know It's not me with a cached version because the first time i looked at it was yesterday, and I've read the list top to bottom like 5 times now looking for it and have searched for the words excalibur meggan and classic. the only one that came up was classic, but for Wolverine and stuff. I think it was deleted. why it was there in the first place, i dunno, but it's not there now. hopefully it was just delayed, not canceled.

discarding the descriptions to save space, these are the titles i see as copy and pasted from the page, just deleting descriptions:

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN VOLUME 14 TP

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN VOL, 6 HC

MARVEL KNIGHTS SPIDER-MAN VOL 4: WILD BLUE YONDER

MARVEL KNIGHTS SPIDER-MAN: VOL. 1 HC

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN VOL. 10: NEW AVENGERS TPB

SPIDER-MAN: BREAKOUT TPB

ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR VOLUME 4: INHUMANS TPB

FANTASTIC FOUR: MAXIUMUM EDITION HARDCOVER

FANTASTIC FOUR VISIONARIES: JOHN BYRNE VOL 5 TPB

HOUSE OF M TPB

HOUSE OF M: FANTASTIC FOUR/IRON MAN TPB

HOUSE OF M: INCREDIBLE HULK TPB

HOUSE OF M: WORLD OF M TPB

HOUSE OF M: SPIDER-MAN TPB

HOUSE OF M: UNCANNY X-MEN TPB

HOUSE OF M: NEW X-MEN TPB

MARVEL ADVENTURES SPIDER-MAN VOL. 2 DIGEST

MARVEL ADVENTURES FANTASTIC FOUR VOL. 1 DIGEST

ORORO: BEFORE THE STORM DIGEST

RUNAWAYS VOLUME 4: TRUE BELIEVERS DIGEST

ARANA VOLUME 2: IN THE BEGINNING DIGEST

SPIDER-GIRL VOLUME 4: TURNING POINT DIGEST

SCORPION: POISON TOMORROW DIGEST

GRAVITY DIGEST

MACHINE TEEN: HISTORY 101001 DIGEST

SPELLBINDERS: SIGNS AND WONDERS DIGEST

LIVEWIRES VOLUME 1 DIGEST

MARVEL NEMESIS: THE IMPERFECT DIGEST

MEGAMORPHS DIGEST

ULTIMATE X-MEN VOLUME 12: HARD LESSONS TPB

ASTONISHING X-MEN VOLUME 2: DANGEROUS TPB

ASTONISHING X-MEN VOLUME 1: GIFTED HC

X-MEN: THE COMPLETE AGE OF APOCALYSPE EPIC BOOK 2 TPB

NYX/X-23 HC

X-MEN: THE END VOLUME 2: HEROES AND MARTYRS

WOLVERINE: ENEMY OF THE STATE VOLUME 2 HC

WOLVERINE: ENEMY OF THE STATE VOLUME 1 TPB

MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS WOLVERINE VOLUME 2 TPB

WOLVERINE CLASSIC VOLUME 2 TPB

X-MEN: BIZZARE LOVE TRIANGLE TPB

NEW X-MEN: HELLIONS TPB

NEW X-MEN ACADMY X VOLUME 3: X-POSED TPB

NEW AVENGERS VOLUME 2: SENTRY HC

ULTIMATES 2 VOLUME 1: GODS AND MONSTERS TPB

ULTIMATE GALACTUS VOLUME 2: SECRET TPB

YOUNG AVENGERS COL 1: SIDEKICKS HC

DAREDEVIL VOLUME 12: DECALOGUE TPB

DAREDEVIL VOLUME 4 HC

SECRET WAR HC
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

This is really weird Jill. I cleared my cache and I still see the Excalibur trade on that page too.

It looks like your page is not loading completely because the page I see does not stop after Secret War but has probable 10 - 12 more titles listed including Excalibur. It's right between the Punisher and X-Factor.

As for Margali - I agree about her selfishness. She's generally depicted as doing things only if they further her own agenda. I realized I forgot two Margali references that I have:

- The Draco: Margali is not actually in the story, but she is mentioned as striking up a deal with Azazel: A working relationship is described between Margali and Azazel. It's clear from the story that they were using each other for their own purposes.

- The X2 Nightcrawler Movie Tie in: The depiction of Margali in this book is totally different, probably because it exists outside the main XMen universe. Margali is more of a stereotype hippie/gypsy earth mother in this. Magic and the Winding way are not mentioned.

-e
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Zam must be correct Jill, for some reason your comp isn't loading the whole page, because I have no cash to clear and I could see it too.

Back to the thread:
Margali has always been an enigma for me, because she seems to care greatly for Kurt at times, especially in the flashbacks to his youth. But she also can be very selfish and vengeful. Of course, different writers penned these scenes.

I think of it this way. She must have done something right, or Kurt wouldn't be the person that he is now. I am very eager to see Roberto and Darick's take on her personality.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by zamweasel
As for Margali - I agree about her selfishness. She's generally depicted as doing things only if they further her own agenda. I realized I forgot two Margali references that I have:

- The Draco: Margali is not actually in the story, but she is mentioned as striking up a deal with Azazel: A working relationship is described between Margali and Azazel. It's clear from the story that they were using each other for their own purposes.

- The X2 Nightcrawler Movie Tie in: The depiction of Margali in this book is totally different, probably because it exists outside the main XMen universe. Margali is more of a stereotype hippie/gypsy earth mother in this. Magic and the Winding way are not mentioned.

-e
Nice recap, my friend, but I think you may have missed X-Men Unlimited #19...Unforgiven...in which Belasco has taken the Soulsword from Margali...Amanda and Kurt go to Limbo to help her out, despite their animosity towards her at the time...Kurt duels with Belasco, and Amanda, who it turns out is trapped in Margali's body, rips the Soulsword from his grasp tossing it to the ground far, far below...so Belsco's defeated, Amanda gets her body back, and Kurt and Amanda aren't as totally pissed with their mother anymore (though they haven't actually forgiven her for the crap she pulled in Excalibur), she disappears, leaving Amanda to clean up her mess and to look after Limbo now that Belasco's gone...the final page shows a armour-encased hand claiming the Soulsword...but who's...?

Strangely...evil, twisted, Limbo Kurt appears in this story despite the fact that he was slaughtered in the original Magik mini-series...guess Belasco didn't want to loose his pet/servant...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

God...I have all the issues mentioned...I guess I have issues, especially since I can't be bothered to look them up. Now, in defense of Margali- assuming she is a Roma gypsy from Germany, she can't have had an easy life. The Roma are badly treated right up to this day, and the past was even worse. The nazis didn't just send the jews to the concentration camps...
Maybe she isn't as much selfish as a tough survivor, who will do anything to keep her family and especially herself out of trouble(and poverty!). Maybe she saved Kurt because he was as much a persecuted victim as she once was. Who knows.
Just a bit of perspective to keep the discussion going;)
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

Oh right Belasco... I'd forgotten about him. In fact until I started digging all these old issues up I realized that it was completely normal for me to associate the Soul Sword and the Winding Way and I couldn't figure out why. Interesting how interwoven the two are throughout the comic series.
she [margali] disappears, leaving Amanda to clean up her mess and to look after Limbo now that Belasco's gone...the final page shows a armour-encased hand claiming the Soulsword...but who's...?
Who indeed? I wonder if this is answered by the plot of the new Nightcrawler arc. I've been really happy with the series so far but it has been very much in the present. I think it would really blow minds if it could simulaneously do that and continue a story that reaches so far back into Kurt's past.

-e
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Zam : The hand we saw at the end was certainly Belasco's because he came back in X-Men : dark sun.
In this arc, Amanda became the new Magik, but there was no mention of Margali for once.
(She eventually ruled Limboes in the second Magik mini-series.)

I wonder what are Amanda's and Kurt's feelings now towards their "mother".
Do they still trust her ?? Because the "Winding Way" story-arc seems so dark, I've got the feeling we'll see more of Margali's bad side.

Bamfette : do you see the light now ?? ;)
www.atlantys.biz

Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

nope. still can't see it. I can see the copyright disclaimer at the bottom, but still can not see Excalibur listed. I'll have to take your word for it, i guess.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

This is crazy Jill. Perhaps it's because you're running the Windows version of Comics Continuum and I'm running the far superior Macintosh version? ;)

Anyway, because I love you:

There it is. Excalibur in Trade Paperback form at last. But issues #1-5. They've got a long way to go...

Diablo, if anything, this thread has made me realize that it is impossible for a single individual to follow a complete X-Men storyline. :)

-e
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

If only Marvel could reprint all the Excalibur issues by Alan Davis...

Back on topic : The problem with Margali's story is that it is a subplot that has existed for decades.
You have to follow Kurt's footsteps in two series and two mini-series. Quite difficult, yes ! :X
... and we're still in darkness.

Hopefully, in one little month, we'll have some answers. :)

I love Kurt's extended family. I love Magik, Margali, Azazel, Abyss and Kiwi Black. More than Mystique. There is no magic in Mystique. It is a strong character, don't get me wrong, but I have always prefered fantasy.
www.atlantys.biz

Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

if only they would...Now, has Darick leaked any cool art lately? I really, really need a fix during this long wait between issues. Bring on the eyecandy! Please, Darick, we won't tell anybody!:p
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

There's a four page preview of issue 7 at BUZZSCOPE, specifically here, but the first couple images are all blurry on my monitor, hope you guys have better luck with it.
one name: Bruce Campbell
buri103
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by buri103 »

Wow, it looks so dark and scary...

This is tied in with the house of M, right? or no?

This looks so great and Darick in once again monstrously talented.

MMMMmm, Kurty...:love
25 And the Lord spake unto the Angel that guarded the eastern gate, saying Where is the flaming sword which was given unto thee?

26 And the Angel said, I had it here only a moment ago, I must have put it down some where, forget my own head next.

27 And the Lord did not ask him again.
~Good Omens

http://www.nataliedee.com/ and http://www.toothpastefordinner.com
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

Welp, the preview for Nightcrawler #7 is up...
see?
*points imaginary finger to link*

http://www.buzzscope.com/reviews.php?id=4458

he's looking the worse for wear inside the cover too, poor thing...
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I can't wait:D:D This seems to be the best arc and I really can't wait to read it:bamf
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I have to say the last one with his head tipped up - oh my goodness. That really hooked me in to the final stage of absolute adoration for Darick's work. Darick has been the most successful, IMO, in bringing out the human side of Kurt - drawing him as a man while still retaining his unique characteristics. Sometimes you forget that Kurt is human, underneath all the mutations. This to me, brings you to the point where you really look beyond the blue colouration and tail, and see the man that he is.
The only thing that has me scratching my head is the facial hair. (I love that you feel like you could reach out and rasp your fingers along it) but if he is covered in a blue fuzz, and had to shave the beard off, wouldn't that eliminate the fuzz too? And if he is pink under that blue fuzz - whoa - that would be a very odd look for him.
Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
InterNutter
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by InterNutter »

Nah, he just shears the excess growth ;)

They *do* have 'specific depth' shaver thingies, y'know. Either that, or Kurt's fuzz has *amazing* regenerative properties...

Is there a cannon answer to that, or what?
The one and only InterNutter (as seen on FFN and NFN)
http://www.internutter.org
http://www.nutfiction.net <---Nutfiction.net! *THE* place to host fanfic [Now back online! Huzzah!]
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Originally posted by fourpawsonthefloor
I have to say the last one with his head tipped up - oh my goodness. That really hooked me in to the final stage of absolute adoration for Darick's work. Darick has been the most successful, IMO, in bringing out the human side of Kurt - drawing him as a man while still retaining his unique characteristics. Sometimes you forget that Kurt is human, underneath all the mutations. This to me, brings you to the point where you really look beyond the blue colouration and tail, and see the man that he is.
Well said! I completely agree!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

*Giggle*
Have no idea Nutty, but i do know he was sporting that goatee in Excalibur, so he *must* shave, somehow... i think Slarti came up with a nice little solution in one of her fics
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by buri103
This is tied in with the house of M, right? or no?
I was thinking...maybe Kurt gets injured somehow during House of M and when everything goes back to what passes for normal he's still hurt. Maybe it was Logan that hurt him and so feels he has to find his poor busted-up bud...bringing Christine along to help patch him up?
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

Huh. His hair looks like a slightly more curly version of my hair. Similar length and all...

I also don't shave every day. If I were to paint myself blue (again), the resemblance would be uncanny!

-idsunki, see what I did there?
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Originally posted by InterNutter

Is there a cannon answer to that, or what?
Dave answered that question once, and since he's Kurt's creator, I would take his word for it. Nighty isn't supposed to grow facial hair. No offense Darick, but facial hair on Kurt just looks sorta weird.

However, that said, the art in this preview is amazing. I agree with the others, the panel with Kurt’s head tilted back is just so...moving. So much more than the typical comic book art. For a panel like that I’d willingly tolerate having to imagine Kurt shaving. ;)
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image