The Winding Way (Nightcrawler #7-11) SPOILERS on last 2 page

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Nightcrawler Artist!

Post by Darick »

Here are the covers for 9 and 10 for those of you that don't wander over to my forum:

CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Hooo00ooo, boy!!! Anybody got a napkin?

The cover for #9 is really dark and a tad disturbing, I feel bad for the fuzzy man. It's beautiful though.

# 10 is awesome!!! I love Nightcrawler's classic uniform, I only wish they could put it back into all the current series. My life would be complete.

Soal sword?? Ooo0o0oh :eek That, Sir, is awesome.

I love the bend mark on the Tarot card, genious!
I wonder if it is just me, but the way the colors are, it looks like there are finger print marks on the edges of the cards, if so...:faint
one name: Bruce Campbell
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

sweet! quite the stark change from 9 to 10 ;)

I notice the card beneath is the Knight of Swords, and Kurt's the Page of Swords? is that the Soul Sword?
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Terrific covers Darick,

I really enjoy the detail that you put into your drawings. #9 makes me feel so bad for poor Kurt, even if it turns out to be just a nightmare. The contrast of #10 with the other three covers of the arc is exciting. I think a lot of us agree. I feel Kurt's current costume is an improvement over the leather-look, but he still looks best in his classic costume.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

Originally posted by Bamfette
sweet! quite the stark change from 9 to 10 ;)

I notice the card beneath is the Knight of Swords, and Kurt's the Page of Swords? is that the Soul Sword?
Yes on all counts! Good eye! (We went with the Page of swords card because the pose was better than the Knight of Swords.)
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

Originally posted by CurlyyHairGirl
Hooo00ooo, boy!!! Anybody got a napkin?

The cover for #9 is really dark and a tad disturbing, I feel bad for the fuzzy man. It's beautiful though.
That's the idea! Thanks!
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by bluefooted »

Kurt in a cage, mostly nekkid - Rawr :naughty

But seriously, beautiful covers, Darick, as usual. Really do what covers should: make me want to buy the issues and find out what the heck is going on :D
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

The Winding Way (Nightcrawler #7-11) SPOILERS on last 2 pages!

Post by Diablo »

The soulsword suits Kurt well !
I hope he'll use it from time to time. :)

The (fantastic) four covers of the arc seem to be four (fantastic) pieces of an intriguing puzzle.
A pretty intense arc it will be, no doubt at all.
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

I like that the covers imply an exploration of his gypsy heritage. i mean, it's been brought up in the comics before, but it often falls short of going into it in any great detail. hints and sugegstions here and there... I hope the trade of this arc does not take as long to arrive as the trade for the first :/
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

I didn't know the series was just on hiatus! Whew! Thank God! I've been out of the loopy recently and all I knew was I kept looking and looking for it and was just sure it was cancelled.

My day is now made, and those covers are beautiful! I'll be waiting impatiently but happily now!
Shashuella
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Shashuella »

Oh my sweet Dear Lord Darik those covers are hot (or sick as my lil bro would say) you sir are a demigod I can’t wait!! #7 gonna be so good it’ll blow my graduation out of the water.
Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around the eyes, look into my eyes. [click] You're under!
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Speaking of "sick"...

*humps moniter* Nice covers!

:toothy
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

I love the use of the tarot cards here. The cards on the covers seem to be based on the set that is pictured in detail on http://www.learntarot.com/cards.htm . If I'm not mistaken the card underneath on cover #10 is the "knight of swords" an on the #7 there are "the hanged man" "the magician" "the fool" "death", among others...Nice. Very intrigueing! Don't think there's a "Darick" tarot card though...
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

There are no 'Winding Way' cards either.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Elwing »

true, true. So where comes that "winding way" from? I know that especially Margali has referred to it before, and it seems to refer to the ups and downs one has to go trough to advance as a magician; I may misinterpret this though, and I don't know the background of the expression. English is not my first language and I may miss something obvious... Anybody have more info?
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

As far as i recall, it is the path followed by people wanting to follow the particular type of magic practiced by margilai... but i don't remember the details very well. I think it had that name because the path had peaks and valleys of power levels.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Elwing »

Yup. I think I read a story where Margali was a beggar in Egypt...Can't remember for the life of me where that was though...Looked she had hit a little bump in the way there. Just as our dear nighty is about to...:naughty
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

I actually know the answer to this! (To a certain extent - the comics repurpose things as they need it so I know the answer based on the comics I've read.)

The magic Margali practices is called "The Winding Way" and in the comics over the years there have been occasional subplots involving it. The basic idea is that it is form of sorcery that drains the practioner's "life energy". The winding way also had "steps" and Margali spoke of "moving further along" than any other sorcerer in one story so it seems that the magic was progressive.

Here's a few interesting references that I can find sitting around:

- Giant Sized XMen #1: Readers are introduced to Kurt Wagner as he flees a mob carrying torches and pitchforks in Winzeldorf Germany. (This still bugs me. They are wearing modern clothes. The X-Men fly around on airplanes and stuff. Had not the flashlight come to Germany yet? Or had the villagers broken out their vintage torch stash just for this occasion?)

- "Nightcrawler's Inferno" or Uncanny XMen Annual #4: It starts with Kurt's birthday and a bunch of ridiculous things happen that Margali is ultimately responsible for (The X-Men go to Hell with Stephen Strange). I think it's the first time the Stephan/Margali Wizendorf misunderstand is explained but I'm not sure. It summarizes the brothers' relationship and their falling out at any rate.

- In Excalibur #75 - 77 there's a big subplot with Amanda (Jimaine) and Margali where Kurt goes to Germany to rescue Margali after she becomes trapped by D'Spare after becoming weakened by her magic. Margali doesn't think Kurt will help her because it has recently been revealed to Kurt that Margali had been lying her ass off about his past (ie. he just discovered who his family was). Kurt helps her anyway and it gives Margali ideas...

- Shortly after that is "The Soul Sword Trilogy" (Also Excalibur - #83-85) which is all about a race between sorcerers to steal the Soul Sword (which at the time was bonded to Kitty because Illyana was dead) so they can "ascend to power" by traveling "furthest on the Winding Way". It starts out with Margali all weak from using magic - she convinces Amanda to help her protect the soul sword from evil and in the end it turns out that Margali double crossed everyone. When Kurt and Amanda bring the Soul Sword to her for "safe keeping" she "bonds the sword to herself" she ascends to power and rules the way.

That should be a pretty good primer for what's going on in the next few Nightcrawler books. Darick can tell me if I've missed any others because my collection is hardly complete.

-e

(And I just realized that now that we know that title of this arc - it's about time I changed the name of the thread.)
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

And it's also the name of the story arc. :)
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Thanks for the information, zam !
I had forgotten about the "Soulsword trilogy". The comic-books must be somewhere at my parents's house...

ONE month and we'll finally get the new arc ! :)
www.atlantys.biz

Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

No problem. I had surgery on my foot on Wednesday so I'm stuck gimping around on crutches for the next 6 weeks. I've got to do something to entertain myself. I was actually surprised at how fast I found the comics I was looking for.

The real bummer is that Excalibur (the original) is such a great series and there have been no plans to release them as trade paper backs. It's just a crime if you ask me...

-e
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Elwing »

shame. The soulsword thingy was not the best excal bit, but they should at least release the Davis/Claremont stuff. Maybe we should start a petition.
Now, Margali is an interesting character-from what she did later one you'd think she is pretty evil. But not only did she save Kurt, she raised him into a man who does not give the impression of having had an abusive childhood. She must have done something right with him.
And it seems Kurt agrees, coming to her aid in spit of everything that happened. I'm really interested how it will play out...
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

Margalai... i see her as someone who's first priority is herself. at least to the extent that her actions don't hinder her. So she treated Kurt well when growing up, because it posed no problem, and due to his appearance, i am sure he was actually a boon to the circus. but then she would do things to him and Jimaine that well, weren't exactly good if the benefits to her were big enough... that's the impression i got. that she has it in her to be a good person, just so long as it doesn't conflict with her plans for herself, thenthe other side comes out.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

I agree with that. She seems to be a selfish person, but she can be a good mother too.
I can't wait to know how Roberto and Darick will treat her.

Regarding Excalibur , our wishes have become true.
November will see the release of the first EXcalibur TPB.
Hooray ! :)

here

You can thank my pal Jake (a.k.a. BamfCentral) , who found this.
www.atlantys.biz

Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

are you sure that's the right link, Diablo? I can't find any mention of Excalibur