Solo Series Wish List

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Solo Series Wish List

Post by Diablo »

Doc Strange. Margali Szardos. Belasco. Amanda Sefton.

Not a lot of magicians but they DO exist in the Marvel U !
And the ones I spoke about are all related to Nightcrawler -remember that it's Doc Strange himself who first spoke about Kurt's origins...
Yeah, magicians are back with a vengeance ! Rrrrrr ! :mad:D
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Solo Series Wish List

Post by DoomInABox »

Belasco is dead ... that's why Amanda rules Limbo now.

But I definitely want to see Doc Strange show up ... I just adore those Vincent Price character types. And Strange has been a favourite since I read X-Men annual 3.
"Picture this: bumpity bumpity bumpity SPLAT!"
-- Nightcrawler, X-Men Evolution

Visit my art sites, please!
http://www.kenthayle.deviantart.com
http://www.geocities.com/ironthorncomics
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Solo Series Wish List

Post by DoomInABox »

Originially posted by KurtWagner2k
Is magic (other than the Scarlet Witch) really a big thing in the X-Men universe? Mutations are evolutionary and therefore not magic, but I think a magical appearing sword would be somewhat unbelievable to some X-fans. Maybe I'm wrong about magic not being a big part though.

Magic was always being integrated into the Marvel universe from day one, even in the X-men. The Belasco storylines, Amanda and Margali, Magik (Illyana), Doctor Strange ... the list goes on. As far as Marvel is concerned, magic exists and it works, and it can be used any time an author feels the need.
**BTW, the Scarlet Witch is a mutant not a sorceress, tho I think she might have some magical training to boot.**

I agree that a magical sword would be cool ... however I am enjoying Kurt fighting empty handed for now *ducks tomatoes*. I like the idea if him just being a guy dealing with stuff and not a pseudo-warrior ready to kick ass all the time. He seems more ... human this way.

taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Solo Series Wish List

Post by taekwondodo »

Well, magic might be an integral part of the Marvelverse, but I'd still rather see Kurt relying on his own abilities and ingenuity rather than some second hand magic. He doesn't need it, he can kick ass quite sufficiently all by himself. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing him with a sword of his own again in some ways, but in others...swords are meant for hacking people up and poking holes in them and that's not something I really associate with Nightcrawler. He's a swashbuckler, yes, but....*shrug*
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Solo Series Wish List

Post by Diablo »

That's why a magical sword works.
He'll only use it when he has to. On other occasions, he'll just use his fists. And he won't perforate people with it. Only monsters. It could be a psychic weapon, not unlike Psylocke's "knife" during Jim Lee's run. An extension of his abilities, of his fighting spirit, his very soul.
www.atlantys.biz

DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Solo Series Wish List

Post by DoomInABox »

It might work for a while, but if there's one thing that spells "trademark" its if a character uses a special weapon. Pretty soon he'll be using it all the time just because of that.

I have to agree with tae, on this one. If Nighty carried a sword all the time, eventually he'd have to REALLY use it on someone. When Wolverine was first introduced in the seventies, he was rarely shown using his claws on people. Now he cuts up people all the time. I don't want to see Nightcrawler cutting people up ... we have AoA and AUs for that.

Nightcrawler with no fancy weapons and flashy things is kinda what the series is about ... it's about him being Nightcrawler. He faces all kinds of whacky things, but in its bare bones, the series is all about him.

Which is NOT to say I don't want him to have a sword ... Nighty with a sword is hot. But its not the only thing that defines him. And if it became permanent, it would loose its specialness.

Kaileighblue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Solo Series Wish List

Post by Kaileighblue »

I know this isn't a suggestion.. but I like Kurt in normal clothes.. iIn alot of other things he is always wearing his uniform and it seems uncomfortable..

Like maybe that's why Scott is so uptight, he has a permanent uniform wedgie?
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Solo Series Wish List

Post by DoomInABox »

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!...

That's great. I love it.

Yes, normal clothes is a go. I've always loved him in civvies ... For the longest time he was one of the only X-men who wore his costume 24/7, up until after Exaclibur, I think.

Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Solo Series Wish List

Post by Diablo »

Doominabox wrote :
Which is NOT to say I don't want him to have a sword ... Nighty with a sword is hot. But its not the only thing that defines him. And if it became permanent, it would loose its specialness.
Again : which is why a magical sword which could APPEAR/DISAPPEAR would work.
Not the sword all the time, but the sword sometimes.

We know Kurt will always try to find a peaceful answer FIRST. But when it comes to monsters and/or big mamma demons, he has to own a weapon ! :)
www.atlantys.biz

Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Solo Series Wish List

Post by Saint Kurt »

I was thinking the exact same thing about the clothes. It always seemed strange to me to see everyone lounging around in jeans and t-shirts and then Nightcrawler wearing his uniform. At least there was some variation in Excalibur. In fact, one of my favorite things about the early issues of Excalibur is how whenever Nightcrawler went out in public, he dressed like a pimp! Hilarious.

Still, humor aside, I think his fashion sense in this new series is much improved.

I'm not sure why, but the most recent issue got me thinking about language. If I remember correctly Nightcrawler is supposed to be a polyglot and I know in older X-Men comics he had sort of a stock set of German phrases he used, but I think he's supposed to speak other European languages as well. In this solo series his narration is very much contemporary American English, which makes sense since he's been living in the country for a while now.

Since this book is setting him up as sort of a solo detective, it would be cool to see him relying on his ability to converse in different languages to break through various barriers (ie. witnesses who don't speak English or don't trust English speakers) towards a resolution.

I loved the fencing BTW. I thought it was a great character moment that Nightcrawler would chose to have such a cartoony image of himself on his fencing jacket. He could take himself seriously, but he doesn't. Which is cool.

-e
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Solo Series Wish List

Post by DoomInABox »

Originally posted by Diablo
Again : which is why a magical sword which could APPEAR/DISAPPEAR would work.
Not the sword all the time, but the sword sometimes.

We know Kurt will always try to find a peaceful answer FIRST. But when it comes to monsters and/or big mamma demons, he has to own a weapon ! :)
Even if it can appear and disappear at will, it is still always at his beck and call, as if it were hanging at his hip. There's little difference.

A magical weapon spells character trademark, no matter whether it can disappear or not. The problem with a trademark, ESPECIALLY a weapon, is that pretty soon it would start showing up all the time, and that it would soon be inconceivable that he enter a battle wihtout it.

Of course, I KNOW Nighty would try to find a clever solution first, but the problem with having a sword to fall back on is pretty soon he'd dispense with other methods and just use the sword. I like the fact that in this series, he's fighting weird and creepy things that make him unsure whether or not a sword would be effective, like the ghosts/zombies promised for the next arc. He needs to rely on his head, not on a problem-solving weapon.

I trust Roberto and Darick completely to keep the series fresh and interesting, but I'm speaking in the sitch that this series reaches 50+ issues, where the artist/writer changes that Marvel is so fond of would become an issue (God forbid!). New or temporary writers not so used to the series tend to fall back on "easy answers" rather than risk making a huge goof-up.

I liked the fencing at the beginning of #3, because it was a diversion from the main plot, and still something Nighty's expected to indulge it. But at the climax and crunch scenes, I prefer him using his ingenuity above relying on a weapon. We give him so much credit for intelligence, it would be a shame to see it turn into "hack foe with sword".

If he NEEDS a sword, than hell yeah, I wanna see him use one. But if there's a better, funner or more creative answer, I'd prefer he take that.

Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Solo Series Wish List

Post by Diablo »

Okay, I understand your point of view.
The problem is, Kurt still seems pretty helpless sometimes.
No offensive power at all like Cyke's beam, Wolverine's claws, Storm's lightning, or even Iceman's ice-powers.
I think that's why he's not very popular with a lot of male readers.

The sword is the first answer that comes to mind.
The Age of Apocalypse Kurt was scarier, because of the swords. But why not spells ? Or magical objects ? Something that would give him an edge.
Or perhap's an enhanced intelligence, some peculiar knowledge...
www.atlantys.biz

DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Solo Series Wish List

Post by DoomInABox »

I'm with you on that one, having been raised by gypsies in a circus and having been exposed to magic most of his life, he's got peculiar knowledge up the ying-yang ... exactly the sort that'll help him, considering the theme of the book so far.

And hey, people leave swords lying around all the time, right? He can grab one if he needs it ...

Kaileighblue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Solo Series Wish List

Post by Kaileighblue »

that's why I like him. he's Not Scott or wolverine and needs showy powers.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Solo Series Wish List

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by DoomInABox
I agree that a magical sword would be cool ... however I am enjoying Kurt fighting empty handed for now *ducks tomatoes*. I like the idea if him just being a guy dealing with stuff and not a pseudo-warrior ready to kick ass all the time. He seems more ... human this way.
Actually, I quite agree (though there's quite more magic than I thought; I did my own research too). Kurt's agility and abilities make him perfect for hand-to-hand combat.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Solo Series Wish List

Post by DoomInABox »

Originally posted by zamweasel
In fact, one of my favorite things about the early issues of Excalibur is how whenever Nightcrawler went out in public, he dressed like a pimp! Hilarious.
Hee hee hee ... with that cowboy hat and furry jacket and those massive sunglasses? I know just what you mean ... gawd that was side-splitting. No wonder people were always afraid of him ... "It's not the fact ya got blue skin, mate ... it's that ya look like ya wanna sell me crack or sum'fin'." :: tries to do bad British accent ::

I wonder if Rachel was picking his outfits out ... if how she dressed in Excalibur is any indication.
Originally posted by Kaileighblue
that's why I like him. he's Not Scott or wolverine and needs showy powers.
Absolutely. Kurt was always meant to be a very different sort of character than the other members of the X-Men. I for one want that to stick around.

Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Nightcrawler Artist!

Solo Series Wish List

Post by Darick »

Swiss_bamf
Lubber
Lubber

Solo Series Wish List

Post by Swiss_bamf »

What I really would like too see is more about his Family.He really has too talk with Mystique.Too much Questions are not resolved.Thats my biggest Wish at the Moment.And of Course a Guest Apperance by Abyss and Kiwi Black
I'm out:bamf
Fav Comics: All with an X on it.
Fav Characters: Nightcrawler,Colossus,Kitty Pryde
Fav Quote: Nocturne: Dad!!!
Nightcrawler: Vas?Verdammter Mist,I know I
schould have been more care
full.
:LOL
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Solo Series Wish List

Post by Darick »

Ahhh...:)

Yeah, I've been talking about wanting to dig into his past and unraveling more of that mystery.

Luckily, they're listening to me...
Bitsy
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Solo Series Wish List

Post by Bitsy »

Hey Darick? If you were to give Nighty a pet, what would it be? How 'bout a rat? :D

Ok, look, I live on a college campus and every now and then I go and visit the lab rats used the the psychology classes. They're actually pretty sweet. One of them licked me! Plus, rats are suppose to be very intelligent and affectionate. Call me stupid, I think Nighty would look cute with a small rat on his shoulder.
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Solo Series Wish List

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

I’ve always found Kurt’s gypsy upbringing to be fascinating.

Having him revisit Bavaria on one of his mysteries, or a flashback to childhood memories would be an interesting subject.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Solo Series Wish List

Post by Darick »

Originally posted by Bitsy
Hey Darick? If you were to give Nighty a pet, what would it be? How 'bout a rat? :D
. They're actually pretty sweet.
That's really true. I had at least 3 pet rats in my own life and loved them all. One was so well trained he would poop in his cage but wander the room when it was open and climb and just hang out on my shoulder as I drew. I could call to it when I entered the room and it would come out of hiding to see me, like a dog or a cat would.

I see Kurt as a bird lover, though. Or reptiles. Snakes and lizards.

Being fuzzy I would imagine smooth animals would appeal to him.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Solo Series Wish List

Post by Diablo »

Or a very little, green and funny demon, with fur and horns, wings and no feet. LOL :LOL
www.atlantys.biz

HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Solo Series Wish List

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by Diablo
Or a very little, green and funny demon, with fur and horns, wings and no feet. LOL :LOL
Like a gremlin. That'd be amusing. ;x
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Solo Series Wish List

Post by DoomInABox »

Originally posted by Darick
Bwahaheehee ... did you get that just for us? I'm honoured ...

I didn't mean to derail, honest ... I thought I was still talking about what I wanted for the book.

Lessee ... I like Kurt in civvies, I love him using swords but not all the time, I'm killing myself laughing over all the little innuendos with Ororo ... You know, a pet isn't a bad idea. I just don't know what I'd pick, though.

Ooh! You know what would be cool? Just for one ish or story arc or whatever, if Nighty paired up with Kitty's dragon Lockheed. I love how they act together when no one else is around ... it was one of the funniest things in the old eighties miniseries by Cockrum. And Lockheed is pretty darn smart, too.