What are your favorite Nightcrawler stories?

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BH123 »

Off the top of my head, these five are the ones that come to mind...

Classic X-Men #4 back-up, by Chris Claremont & John Bolton: this one flashes back to the early days of the new X-Men, and we see some of how Nightcrawler's friendship with Wolverine developed. After a sparring match in the woods, they go to Harry's Hideaway for a drink. Logan dares Kurt to walk around Salem Center without his image inducer.

Excalibur #31: Kurt ends up on a mysterious island fighting a goofy group of faux X-Men, and finds out he's facing the spawn of Krakoa. A goofy story by Scott Lobdell from his more tonge-in-cheek days. I believe the title was "No Man is An Island... But No Island Is A Man, Either, So It Works Out."

Marvel Comics Presents #101-108: The reunion of Kurt and Logan after many years. The two team up in Germany to solve a mystery involving Kurt's old circus. A sentimental script by Lobdell, with art by comic book greats Gene Colan & Al Williamson.

Nightcrawler miniseries, by Dave Cockrum: flying pirates, swashbuckling, Bamfs, giant sharks, and lots of other fun stuff. This was a very enjoyable romp.

Uncanny X-Men #204: Nightcrawler is trapped in Murderworld, and joins with a lovely redheaded gal to escape from Arcade's movie-inspired death traps. June Brigman draws a cool Kurt.

Anyone else have any favorites?
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

All excalibur stories written by Claremont and Davis. Truly classic.

the first limited series was Great.

the issues of uncanny (cannot remember issue #'s) where Logan and Kurt meet up w/ alpha flight and take on Wendigo.

Ultimate X-men issues where Kurt argues w/ Scott (and hits him w/ frying pan).

There are others out there i like, but i would need more time.
Dave, your creations brought joy to my life and inspired my imagination. R.I.P.

Insanity is all in the mind...
Sorte Springer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Sorte Springer »

The grafic novel "Gods Loves Man Kills" is great, and Kurt has a great part in it.

The classic story "Kittys Fairy Tale" in Uncanny X-Men #153 in wich the "Bamf" appears the first time, is truly amusing.
A ve in om de flest æ de bedst eller båre de flest.
- Niels Hausgaard
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Some of the best Kurt stories have already been mentioned, but I also love the following:

Uncanny #159. X-Men battle Dracula, and I believe it is the first time Kurt's Christianity is revealed.

I absolutley adore Excalibur #16, one of the Cross-Time Capers, Kurt Wagner Warlord of ? Kurt and Kymri and the pirates.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Sorte Springer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Sorte Springer »

I belive you are right about Kurts Christianity in the Dracula story Shadowdancer. It´s is the first time we are told that Nightcrawler is a beliver.

Uncanny #165 (middle of "the brood" strory line) has this great scene between NC and Wolverine concerning faith. Logan sees Nightcrawler praying and this conversation takes place:

:logan : Incongruuous. I guess I never figured you for the religious type.

:): Why, don´t I look the part?... I admit I´m rarely seen in a church -- but I draw comfort from my beliefs and from prayer. Such comfort is dearly needed now-- by us all....You should try it, Logan. Who knows, you might like it.

:logan: I did, in the army. A mistake... I belive in nothin´--never have, never will. What matters is what I can see, hear, smell, taste, touch-- tangible things, physical things. The rest is imagination.

:): And you have no use for that?

:logan: Nope.

:): I am sorry my freind... I never realized how utterly, inescapably alone you must be--- with nothing to hold onto but yourself. More alone than I-- despite my outre appearance-- could ever be.

:logan: I ain´t alone Bub-- I got you.... C´mon, lessee if they got any brew on this bucket.
A ve in om de flest æ de bedst eller båre de flest.
- Niels Hausgaard
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Post by little Blue Lucy »

'X-Men No More'. That is my favorite Nighty story, because it was the first one I ever read, and, consequently, the one that made me fall in love with the fuzzy blue sweetie. :)
Vala: "Hello."
Daniel: "What the hell are you doing here?"
Vala: "Isn't this my room?"
Daniel: "Noooo… your room is across the hall… with the… guard in front of it."
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"
Daniel: "No, we shalln't."
Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member #11 :engarde

:respectnc and they'll respect you, back.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I don't see how having "nothing to hang onto but yourself" makes you "alone". It makes you free of delusions.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by thylacine »

The X-Men 2 novel was good. It does the Nightcrawler character pretty well.
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BH123 »

Originally posted by little Blue Lucy
'X-Men No More'. That is my favorite Nighty story, because it was the first one I ever read, and, consequently, the one that made me fall in love with the fuzzy blue sweetie. :)
Help! What issue did that one appear in?
Ziox
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Ziox »

X-Men: Magik and X-Calibre miniseries and the X2 prequel issue to nightcrawler were all pretty good.
Sinew
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Sinew »

The X2 prequel, most definetly, because how they manage to stick to every single aspect of Kurts char.
and the dave cockrum mini., very fun :D! (PIRATES!!!)
"But i dont want to be among mad people!"
"oh you cant help that, we're all mad here"-alice in wonderland

"Hearts grow hard, on a windy street. Lips grow cold, with the rent to meet. So if you kiss me...if we touch...warnings fair, I dont care much"-Cabaret (I dont care much)

"Madness is the emergency exit" -teh joker
BamfChyck
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BamfChyck »

My favorite stories tend to be older because I fell for him so long ago. Please be tolerant if my old brain has memory lapses.

I loved the story line where the X-men are kidnapped by Dr. Doom. Kurt is the hero, but he must teleport blind, skydive, and fall into a cold lake. A lot of my earliest fantasies are based on this one.

I enjoyed the one where Susan Richards stumbles into the X-Mansion, then they all have to go save Arkon's world. Kurt teleports Wolvie and some woman at the same time, for the first time. Then he wears this sexy barbarian/knight outfit at the victory party and looks really nice. ;)

I liked the Belasco issues. Good Kurt, Bad Kurt, and both so sexy.
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by scheherazade »

I really like "Kurt Wagner; Warlord of ?" and most of the rest of the cross time caper. (Kurt in a saloon girl outfit!)
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Lauren »

I liked the story they did for Heroes for Hope. It was really sad and bittersweet when it revealed the doubts and questions in Kurt's faith in that one
"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call." -Vash the Stampede

"No, you see I'm blind in my right eye now... So boring. You know what really makes me pissy? Grunge, Heroine chic, and dying are over. I so hate being behind the curve. Tourism's up." Brett(Alan Cumming) from Urbania
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I'm enjoying the Nighty story in the solo series right now
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by DoomInABox »

God Loves, Man Kills -- it was such a riveting story the first time I read it.

The NC Miniseries by Cockrum -- because it made me laugh with happiness.

"A Demon Went To Church On Tuesday" -- because it made me cry with sadness.

The X2 Nightcrawler Prequel -- because it did both.

X-Men Annual #3 "Nightcrawler's Inferno", Classic X-Men #3 where Nighty walks down the street without his image inducer, and just about anything that came out of Davis' run on Excalibur and X-Men.

Oh, and can't forget the Nightcrawler Solo series taking place as we type.
"Picture this: bumpity bumpity bumpity SPLAT!"
-- Nightcrawler, X-Men Evolution

Visit my art sites, please!
http://www.kenthayle.deviantart.com
http://www.geocities.com/ironthorncomics
bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by bluefooted »

I enjoyed all the stories everyone else mentioned. I also quite liked the (semi) recent Kurt story in X-Men Unlimited - the one where he goes down into the caves to rescue the little girl. Kurt was just the way I like him in that story: witty, toothy, pointy, swashbuckly, and naughty :love

Plus, I thought the cartoonish art worked really well for the story.