Nightcrawler #1 - #4 disscussion

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

unfortunally since i live in mexico i will have to wait till my birthday so i can order my copy in an online story.. hehe my bday is in two months.. plus one more month of shipping.. that will make three... aaagggghh!
I'm a little confused. Why can't someone, say like me for instance, just send a copy to mexico right now?

Congratulations Darick on such glowing advance reviews. I got a copy of the book on the way home from school and I loved every page. The art is beautiful and the story is compelling and well written. In story such as this, where pacing is so important you and Roberto worked seamlessly conveying a plausible reason (to mean anyway) for Nightcrawler's involvement as well as his understandable reluctance to be involved.

Bravo to both of you.

Now, about that cliffhanger....

:)

-e
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

Originally posted by zamweasel

I'm a little confused. Why can't someone, say like me for instance, just send a copy to mexico right now?
:puppy:puppy@ Zam
because nobody loves me enough? :puppy
Sundown
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Sundown »

Darick,
Wow.....just.....wow. I loved it. The art, the story, the whole "shadowy" feel of the book....and FINALLY the attention to detail and expression that I so adore. I can be a very discerning fan (read: nit-picky), but I feel like you and Aguirre-Sacasa nailed it.
As far as what I particularly appreciated....I really like the fact that they are in plain clothes....I hate it when the characters have been drawn hanging around the house in loud-a** spandex costumes. I like your take on his taste in clothes.
I like the play of light and shadow throughout the book...gives it a very otherside feel.
You draw his tail thicker than most artists, which makes more sense to me, because I've always wondered how such a stringy thing could carry his own body weight, be so strong in combat, etc.
I suppose what I like most about the art is the facial detail, expressions and features...great job on the eyes and mouth and....joy of joys.....the nose is right. Frontal face, the nose has a hump in it. Maybe that's a silly thing to be picky about, but it's that kind of thing that makes the book for me, and I'm sorry, but if you've gotten you nose bashed in on multiple occassions, most notably by Captain Britain, IT'S GONNA HAVE A HUMP IN THE BRIDGE. Thank you, I'm done with the frivolous nose rant now.
As for the writing, again, love it. It looks like he's gotten a good start on portraying some fundamental personality traits...the compassion, sense of humor and it appears as though the libido lives again.....long live the king. :naughty
Great job, keep it up!
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BH123 »

SPOILERS ahoy...

Great issue (more on that later) except the rational for sending in Nightcrawler to investigate was a bit forced. [spoiler]Storm thinks that either Seth Walker murdered the other kids, or someone teleported in and did the deed?[/spoiler] Sorry, don't buy it.

C'mon, this is the Marvel universe we are talking about! Off the top of my head, I thought of half a dozen other ways[spoiler] the kids could have been killed...

Someone became intangible, slipped into the room, became solid, killed the kids, became intangible again, and slipped back out.

Or...

A time traveller froze the time/space continuum, materialized inside the locked room, killed all the kids, jumped back into his proper place in reality, and unfroze time.

Or...

Some villain used a wonky Kirby-tech device and killed the kids from a distance.

Or...

A telepath took control of the security guard, had him unlock the door, kill the kids, re-lock the room, clean up, and then wiped his memory of it.

Or...

Someone with powers that work at a distance, such as Magneto, used their abilities to kill the kids.

Or...

Someone from the Microverse grew to regular size in the room, killed everyone, and then shrunk back down to Sub-Atomica.

Or...

A sorcerer used spernatural powers to cause a demon to materialize in the room, slaugher the kids, and then disappear back to the netherworld.

See, the possibilities are endless! After all, this is a world where a 100 foot tall alien in purple armor stops by to try and eat the Earth on a semi-regular basis!

By the way, the fact that I am so easily able to come up with so many possible hypothetical ways to kill a bunch of little kids in a fictional setting is a bit unnerving, isn't it? :shocked[/spoler]
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

just a reminder we DO have spoiler tags, just type [spoiler]spoilers here![/spoiler] and it will cover the spoiled text with a black bar which you have to hilight to read. this is the only modification to the forum that i scripted myself, you're gonna use it, dammit. :p

not all of us have read the issue yet, i won't be getting it until next week, most likely, so it would be appreciated
SmoothBamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by SmoothBamf »

Hay Darick is kurt going to get his own rouges gallery cuz that would be sooo cool and don't cha ya think he disservs one

Thank you:bamf
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BH123 »

Originally posted by Bamfette
just a reminder we DO have spoiler tags, just type [spoiler]spoilers here![/spoiler] and it will cover the spoiled text with a black bar which you have to hilight to read. this is the only modification to the forum that i scripted myself, you're gonna use it, dammit. :p

not all of us have read the issue yet, i won't be getting it until next week, most likely, so it would be appreciated
Oops :eek

Thank you for doing an edit job on my post, Bamfette, and blocking out the spoilers. My apologies for the faux pas.
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Nightcrawler Artist!

Post by Darick »

Originally posted by SmoothBamf
Hay Darick is kurt going to get his own rouges gallery cuz that would be sooo cool and don't cha ya think he disservs one

Thank you:bamf
Well, he has a new villain in issue one!
Mistress D
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Mistress D »

Gah!! I'm not gonna be anywhere near a bookstore for at least a month!! T_T *whimper*
"I am Phil, Prince of Insufficient light! I darn you to Heck!!" :devil

"Quick, get the video camera! The Professor's sloshed and he's doing wheelies in the rose garden!"

"It's just a flesh wound!"

I AM THE VIRUS SIGNITURE. PUT ME INTO YOUR SIGNITURE BOX SO I MAY REPLICATE!
BamfChyck
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BamfChyck »

I just got my issue and I think it was wonderful! Excellent story, excellent art (hee hee!) and very, very nice characterization of Kurt. I love the way he interacted with Ororo, and how he did self-talk when he liked the nurse.
What a slimy, scary Bad Guy! He sent shivers up my spine. Of course, so did some of the nice pictures of Kurt, but for an entirely different reason.;)

One thing struck me as odd, though:
[spoiler]Did the little traumatized boy, Seth, seem to recognize Kurt, or was he really just reacting to the blue fur/fangs/etc. for the first time? I'm curious what other people think because in the past, kids have reacted to him with fascination rather than fear. I don't remember one other child that young being so afraid of him.[/spoiler]
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

Originally posted by BamfChyck
I just got my issue and I think it was wonderful! Excellent story, excellent art (hee hee!) and very, very nice characterization of Kurt. I love the way he interacted with Ororo, and how he did self-talk when he liked the nurse.
What a slimy, scary Bad Guy! He sent shivers up my spine. Of course, so did some of the nice pictures of Kurt, but for an entirely different reason.;)
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!

One thing struck me as odd, though:
[spoiler]Did the little traumatized boy, Seth, seem to recognize Kurt, or was he really just reacting to the blue fur/fangs/etc. for the first time? I'm curious what other people think because in the past, kids have reacted to him with fascination rather than fear. I don't remember one other child that young being so afraid of him. [/spoiler] [/quote]

[spoiler]You got it right. Kurt's appearance freaks him out. Some foks have criticized this, but Roberto and I are trying to show Kurt strggle ot be himself, even if that's a consequence. You'll see in the next issue he handles things a bit differently.

Keep in mind also, that Seth just went through a trauma. [/spoiler]
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Magnifique!!! Better than I expected...

Things I liked the best: [spoiler]Distracted by the hot nurse! :D!

Using the priest thing believably!!! Or, I mean, it was a massive plot hole considering that his own team mates didn't know he was "studying" for the "priesthood" yet this security guard did, but it was still a good explanation for the guy opening up a bit and trusting him despite his appearance.

Having a kid be scared of him for once, or at least hesitant. Not all kids are confident and out-going.[/spoiler]

But this other plothole is so big I'm amazed that no one noticed before it went to print. Maybe it's a plot point having to do with [spoiler]teleportation because I can't see how else that doctor got out of his lab coat and into a suit then to a building an indetermined distance from the hospital fast enough to be mingling with his guests by the time Kurt got there![/spoiler]

But overall :love Gorgeous art, solid writing.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
Magnifique!!! Better than I expected...
Thanks!
But this other plothole is so big I'm amazed that no one noticed before it went to print. Maybe it's a plot point having to do with [spoiler]teleportation because I can't see how else that doctor got out of his lab coat and into a suit then to a building an indetermined distance from the hospital fast enough to be mingling with his guests by the time Kurt got there![/spoiler]

But overall :love Gorgeous art, solid writing.
Well,
[spoiler]

The passage of time is pretty hard to debate in a comic book.

It isn't clear how far the hospital is from the apartment building, but since the Doctor works there, it would make sense that he lives nearby. He also has the same suit on under his doctor's coat that he's wearing later in the scene. Also Kurt travel's over rooftops to get there, and Barney is able to walk there.

We don't know how much time passes from the Doctor's departure on page 12 and his arrival at his home. Kurt does a lot in that time.

I think you're looking a little too closely at a fictional comic book story. [/spoiler]

But I'm glad you liked it!
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

[spoiler]From the last time he saw the doctor he scared the kid, called Storm, followed the tracks. Leaping across rooftops seems like it should be faster than walking.[/spoiler]

I can't help analyzing things. I could keep from posting it, but I'd still be thinking "Now why...?" And I like discussing comics. So... I post.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Originally posted by zamweasel
That's just what I was thinking, Zam.

I have to admit I'm so incredibly out of the loop I didn't know Nighty had finally gotten his own series until Hubby brought it home for me Wednesday. You should have heard my scream of joy! I love it! I LOVE the title graphic, with the pointy tail! Awesome! And, yes, Kurt finally looks right again (not including the always-beautiful Alan Davis Kurt on Uncannny)!

I understand the artist is here. Hi, Darick! Great work! The first panel that really struck me was Kurt talking to Ororo with his arms on the tree branch... all in shadow with just his eyes shining... very cool! And Ororo has her cat pupils!

I liked the story, and I can't wait to see where it's going. All in all, though I feel like a grade-A putz for not knowing it was coming, seeing Nighty's solo made my week!
Zix
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Zix »

Wow. Wow. Love it.

Is that Kurt with his image inducer in the preview? Sorry to sound like a stuck record but I love it. I especially like the way that his face is still kind of in shadow.

With that second review I must agree that the artwork was probably more than everyone expected, but Randy seems to talk about it as though it were a bad thing. The art’s fantastic and hopefully will encourage others to raise their standard.

::feels proud for understanding the small version:: It was especially good the way the action coincided with what Storm was saying. Yeh, we already know that Kurt’s got tact but there it shows why the rest of the team isn’t going to check it out.
Coalition for 'Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member# 31 :engarde

:bunnyWe are the Bunny Warriors. Fear Us. :bunnyBunny impersonator #12 :bunny
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

Originally posted by Slarti
I LOVE the title graphic, with the pointy tail! Awesome!

Thanks! I designed it myself!
I understand the artist is here. Hi, Darick! Great work! The first panel that really struck me was Kurt talking to Ororo with his arms on the tree branch... all in shadow with just his eyes shining... very cool! And Ororo has her cat pupils!
Thanks for noticing the details! What a nice surprise for you to get something you didn't know was out there.
ElfSpam
Lubber
Lubber

Post by ElfSpam »

After reading my copy of Nightcrawler #1, I couldn't help but read through it 2 more times. I LOVE THIS BOOK! :) I thought the writing was stellar, since it accomplished what was important: capturing the essence of Kurt's character. And the thing I liked best about Darick's beautiful art was all the details included. They weren't necessary, but they really added to the story.
God, Darick, you guys did an incredible job. I for one will be collecting this until the bitter end. :D
This is a haiku;
Now I'm killing syllables;
I like fuzzy elves.
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I need money so I can buy Nightcrawler comics, 75% of my comics have NC in it. I NEED MORE!
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

*holds heart in from jumping out of chest*

speaking of percentages, now I have 50% of my comics with NC in 'em.
First iss. was absolutely awesome, and I would just be repeating someone else if I said anything else.:*)

:oHow could you notknow Slarti!!! I wish I could have seen you expression when you got it...it musta been priceless.
one name: Bruce Campbell
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

Thanks!. I honestly think it's been better each issue (I'm half way through drawing issue 4)...

The best is yet to come!
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Though Greg is doing a bust up (great) job on the covers, I can't wait to see what youv'e got in store for us. *giggles like a three year old* purdy Kurt:toothy
one name: Bruce Campbell
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Post by littlebamf »

Mmm....solo series goodness...

I got the first issue at my comicbook shop :D There was a guy next to me at the counter asking where they'd all gone and the assitant pointed at me with an evil grin and said 'this little girl's go the last one'.

I loved it, especially the interaction between Kurt and Ororo...
Tracker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Tracker »

Okay this might be a bit of a stretch, but...[spoiler]did anyone think there was an eeire similarity between Dr. Childs and Azazel? I think it was the pointy beard that did it for me. But if Dr. Childs is Azazel, and if he showed himself in his true form, that would explain why the kid freaked when he saw Kurt. I mean, except for being different colours, they have a definite family resemblance. [/spoiler]

In any case, take a well deserved bow Darick! This book looked great!
Sail away where no ball and chain
Can keep us from the roarin' waves
Together undivided, but forever we'll be free.
So sail away aboard our rig
The moon is full and so are we,
We're seven drunken pirates
We're the seven deadly sins.
~Flogging Molly

Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#40 :engarde
Darick
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Darick »

Originally posted by Tracker
Okay this might be a bit of a stretch, but...[spoiler]did anyone think there was an eeire similarity between Dr. Childs and Azazel? I think it was the pointy beard that did it for me. But if Dr. Childs is Azazel, and if he showed himself in his true form, that would explain why the kid freaked when he saw Kurt. I mean, except for being different colours, they have a definite family resemblance. [/spoiler]

In any case, take a well deserved bow Darick! This book looked great!
Thanks!

Boy, you are reaching with that theory. That's not unlike Drastic Spastic thinking [spoiler]Amanda in #2 was Meggan, just because of her hairline![/spoiler]