The Devil You Say?

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

The Devil You Say?

Post by thylacine »

I am sick & tired of people saying that Kurt looks like the devil! He does not look anything like the devil! For instance:

1. The devil is red
2. The devil has horns
3. The devil has legs like a goat
4. On occasions, the devil has bat wings
5. And carries a pitchfork too
6. The devil has scales, not fur

Now, of course the devil does have a tail... but Kurt is blue, for God's sakes! Comments anyone?
Beboots
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

The Devil You Say?

Post by Beboots »

...You forgot the blood-red/glowing eyes... But I totally agree. :rolleyes ...He's accused of being a devil/demon way to many times... in both the comics and in real life.... Some of my friends have actually asked me why I'm into blue devils... :X I need new friends. :shame
/ERROR 406: file corrupt:Earth.config/reboot:universe? (Y/N)

:poke

Snape: Nonsense, Harry...I harbor no ill will towards any of my students, you accursed little worm.
Tengu Aberdeen
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

The Devil You Say?

Post by Tengu Aberdeen »

Originally posted by Beboots
...You forgot the blood-red/glowing eyes... But I totally agree. :rolleyes ...He's accused of being a devil/demon way to many times... in both the comics and in real life.... Some of my friends have actually asked me why I'm into blue devils... :X I need new friends. :shame
The Blue Devils...from Duke?:LOL
Well...the verdict is mostly that, while Kurt may not look "devilish" he certainly looks "demonic." There is a difference here. A "demon" may look like just about anything you can imagine, (see this if you don't believe me!) whereas a "devil" (specifically The Devil) can only look a certain way. By The Devil I mean Satan, as opposed to Azazel, Beezlebub, or even Cthulhu :LOL.

Just my 2 cents! :D
CuteLittleBamf
Lubber
Lubber

The Devil You Say?

Post by CuteLittleBamf »

I once had a friend tell me that he looked like a blue monkey. I was reading an Uncanny (one of the newer ones) and she looked down and said "Awwww who's the cute blue monkey.....and why is it talking." sigh the uneducated :hrumph
Jaeger
Lubber
Lubber

The Devil You Say?

Post by Jaeger »

I actually just had this conversation with my mother the other day.

I had just put the finishing touches on the Bamf! Doll I had made, and my sister was all commenting on how cute it was, and decided to show my mom.

Mom: What? It's a devil!

Me: No it's not. :huh

Sister: It's a little Kurt! Isn't it cute?!

Mom: Not really...it looks like a devil!

Me: Well, it isn't.

Then my dad pops in.

Mom: Look, honey, doesn't this look like a devil?

Dad: Huh? Oh, it's one of the X-men!

Me: *smirks*

Mom: :? Uh, okay. But I still think it's a devil.

Me: :doh!

So yeah, I'm a bit sick of people calling Kurt a devil. And of course, everytime mom sees the doll in my room she has to comment on the "little devil", now. Argh!
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

The Devil You Say?

Post by Crawler »

Looks like a devil to me.

And the devil has horns because he's goat-like, and therefore has fur. Kurt's design is demonic. Always was, and always was meant to be. In fact, before he was a mutant, he was a demon. And then from an alien race on which the stories of demons were based.

So he's MEANT to look like a demon.

And the devil has taken so many forms in so many different places that you can't pin down ANY one appearance.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
simon

The Devil You Say?

Post by simon »

I do agree with crawler, he is right. He may look like a demon but cute-with a heart of gold.
I guess this is the point . Its not his appearance it is his character AND his appearence.
But this is just me.
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

yeah, yeah...

Post by thylacine »

Yeah, I know, I read that story in this website here, just recently... He was originally supposed to be a demon, then an alien, then an X-Man... But I still don't think he looks like the devil! I do think he could be an alien, though...

And yeah, tell that other person, I agree, you need new friends!

Next time someone says, "What? That's the devil!" Just say, "No, look. Obviously, it's a mutant." "A mutant... ? Oh, yeah. Okay. So it's a mutant... " then they are gonna say, "What the heck is a mutant?"

:)
Bamferine
Lubber
Lubber

The Devil You Say?

Post by Bamferine »

The Devil in a blue dress perhaps?
:X

...Now typing nonsense to get to character numbah fifty: blahblahblahblah
Shayde
Lubber
Lubber

The Devil You Say?

Post by Shayde »

You know that the Devil only looks like he does cos the Christians wanted to demonise the Old Gods and so nicked the look of the Pagan Horned God (also known as Cernunnos) the God of nature and hunting.
"One day men will look back and say that I gave birth to the twentieth century."
Jack the Ripper, From Hell
Ladyhawke
Lubber
Lubber

The Devil You Say?

Post by Ladyhawke »

I still say he looks like an elf. It fit's his character better then demon.

Although, I did toy with the notion that he was related to dragon's. That dragon's, and most other fantasy creatures, had once been real but had either vanished or turned human to stop being persecuted. Now their coming back, which is why the power's are turning up.

I guess it's just because I really HATE that they made his father Azazel. ::blasts Azazel back down to the seventh layer of hell, then locks him in:: :evil
"I wish upon tonight to see you smile if only for awhile to know your there."

"I believe that angel's breath"
"Faith is believing all power can't be seen."

Frodo, Kurt and Pippin are MINE!!!
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

yeah...

Post by thylacine »

Yeah... I read that stuff about paganism too... I read too much, obviously.

And I don't particularly like that Azazel thing either...

I think he could look like an alien.

** Also, I know that originally he was "supposed" to be a demon, then an alien, but I like him the way he is now. I like the spiritual aspect of his character. I think a lot of people need something spiritual in their lives. That's why Star Wars is popular, because there is that spiritual element involved. Trust the Force, Kurt! People need to see good triumph over evil.

Many people are attracted to hedonistic characters, but even more people are attracted to goodness, even in this hedonistic society. I think I prefer a character that is motivated by goodness, because (if he were real) then you could trust him not to back stab you or betray you. You could not feel that way about Magneto (or Darth Maul -- I'm also a Star Wars fan). I think the attraction is in the fact that we have such a very uncertain world, and sometimes people are very brutal to each other. We need something better to look to in our lives, like a religion of some kind, whether it's Christianity or Buddhism or Islam, or whatever... or a blue mutant who prays in German... Maybe he could be the patron saint of mutants!

The only thing that troubles me sometimes when I read the books is that I notice that the writers don't seem to study the religion much and get some stuff confused... but it's not intentional.

I think a religious character is a good thing, because religion gets such a bad name today. With all the bad things done in the name of religion, we tend to forget the good things, like the hospitals, charities, and orphanages built. I work part time as a church secretary (am I typing too much stuff here?) and the church gives free groceries and certificates to grocery stores, rent assistance, does clothing drives, etc... There are people in the neighborhood who would in fact go hungry if the church was not there... No kidding. But sadly, religion gets a bad name because of a few bad people. I think this character Kurt is a good thing because he can show people that there is goodness in faith too, and by extension goodness still left in this twisted world. Keep up the good work, little blue mutie! We love you, dude.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

The Devil You Say?

Post by Siona »

Dave Cockrum speciffically stated that he meant for Kurt to be very demonic. But the editors said they had enough doom-and-gloom characters and made him more cheerful.

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

I agree

Post by thylacine »

Yes, Siona. I agree. The world itself has too much doom and gloom. We need our science fiction characters to be more fun and cheerful. :)
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

The Devil You Say?

Post by Northstars Love »

Hate to admit it but he has a demon like appearance. Think about it. If you met Kurt face to face for the first time, what would your reaction be? I wouldn't think elf or alien. I would think demon. Sad but true. But it would quickly change once I got to know the fuzzy blue elf:P
Vee_EmmCee
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

The Devil You Say?

Post by Vee_EmmCee »

I was actually at a friends house once and her mother asked me to put my Nightcrawler action figure away because he looked like the devil. She didn't approve of him. That miffed me a little.

Yes, Kurt does look a little demonic though. More elfy in my opinion.
"The hate of another person is sick and disgusting, and I'll never understand how the word hate is thrown around like it's nothing. Because it's something, something ominious, and in the end, it will destroy us all. "
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

The Devil You Say?

Post by NightPoofer »

I think he looks like a demon! Sorry to say that but like so many others have pointed out, he was originally made to look demonic. And if you happened to meet him without knowing anything about him, you'd probably be thinking :eek Demon! *run around, run around*

My family jokes around because of my Nightcrawler obsession "You are the debul child! I am going to church and you are going to hell!" :LOL My family is so cool...
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

The Devil You Say?

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

I am not sure about what other cultures consider to be demonic, but I don't think Kurt really seems demonic to me. The red guy with the horns and spaded tail comes out of literature like Dante's Inferno and is not Biblical in the least. Satan was an angel, and can still come in that disguise. And to me, the only thing that is even very stereotypically demon is his tail. Take that away and he really would be his nickname, Fuzzy Elf.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Beboots
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

The Devil You Say?

Post by Beboots »

Originally posted by Shadow_Dancer
And to me, the only thing that is even very stereotypically demon is his tail.
I agree on that point... Well, there is the whole brimestone smell that supposedly hangs around him, remants of his bamfs, but... *shrugs* Not much else that seems too demonic... well, except perhaps the glowing eyes... but the commonly seen images of demons usually have red eyes, so... *shrugs*
/ERROR 406: file corrupt:Earth.config/reboot:universe? (Y/N)

:poke

Snape: Nonsense, Harry...I harbor no ill will towards any of my students, you accursed little worm.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

The Devil You Say?

Post by Siona »

Actually, I did a report on the Notre Dame for a class, and there's a good number of gargoyles on it with paws/hooves with only two or three digits.

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
Nightfollower
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

The Devil You Say?

Post by Nightfollower »

I see Nightcrawler as more of a demon.

A very sexy demon at that.

:LOL
Nightfollower.

Insert sig here.

LiveJournal
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

The Devil You Say?

Post by Nightcrawler ZERO »

Originally posted by Siona
Dave Cockrum speciffically stated that he meant for Kurt to be very demonic. But the editors said they had enough doom-and-gloom characters and made him more cheerful.

~Siona
That was Independant/Legion Crawler. When he was added to the X-Men, Dave changed his mind (Mainly because Wolverine and Thunderbird were dark characters), and wanted Kurt to be the fun loving character.

Len Wien wrote him as brooding, ashamed of his looks, but when Claremont took over, he decided to go with Dave's new vision of Nightcrawler.
Ladyhawke
Lubber
Lubber

The Devil You Say?

Post by Ladyhawke »

Um, the reason I really like Kurt is because he is religious, even if Dave didn't want him to be, and because he does look so different. But then, fey, faerie and demon have all kind of come to mean the same thing to some people.

Then again, my favorite character in LOTR is Frodo and Pippin, so maybe I just like character's who look like or are possessed by demons.

:rolleyes There's a reason why my main character is a healer.
"I wish upon tonight to see you smile if only for awhile to know your there."

"I believe that angel's breath"
"Faith is believing all power can't be seen."

Frodo, Kurt and Pippin are MINE!!!
Gambit
Lubber
Lubber

The Devil You Say?

Post by Gambit »

Listen,Mon Ami im sick and tired of u folks complaining and tryin to protect Nightcrawler!
1.First of all,he is supposed to look like a demon from the middle ages,and dats what they looked like!
2.He was created as a "demon" so dat he could be an oxymoron (hes all holy and a priest)
3.He's alot cooler if u say hes a demon!
4.sharp teeth,glowing eyes,demonic tail.
5.It ads a touch of "sadness" to his stories
6.He gets a cool image indowcer
7.Blue is the best color!:LOL
8.Yay!Fur!
Family Tree
Now known as Metlord. >.>

Hello, everyone.
Salinea
Lubber
Lubber

The Devil You Say?

Post by Salinea »

Ditto, Gambit

Nightcrawler has developed into the perfect charater with his pro's and con's. Daemons can be good or bad if you think about it in a mythological or RPG sense and Kurt is our good 'daemon' :D. Besides, damons are fun and being one is even funner (which isn't a word but I vote yes to the abuse of the English language ;) )
:read Knowledge is Power!:read

I love:sparrow. Savy?

"Kill the spiders to save the butterflies...It's rational until you realize that by striving for it...you become a spider yourself." ~ Vash

Coalition for 'Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member# 28