Apocalyptic Kurt

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Re: Apocalyptic Kurt

Post by Nandireya »

Indigo_Lady
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Indigo_Lady »

I sincerely hope this movie is better than some of the critics are saying http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/x_men_apocalypse/. I don't always go by what general movie critics say about any movie that is comic book, sci-fi or fantasy, but I would hate it if this movie was close to a franchise killer as Last Stand nearly was. :mad

I'm tire of Mystique being such a central figure as an X-Man. That should have been Storm or Cyke's role. It's more actor driven then fandom driven, and that alienates comic book fans, or so I would assume reading the movie threads on other comic boards.

FOX, please find another director than Singer! I have never really cared for his vision of the X-Men.

That doesn't mean I'm not going to see it. I just don't want to be disappointed after all the hype.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

I'm trying to remain optimistic about the film despite the reviews, while also keeping my hopes at a reasonable level.

Also, here's a dance party.
http://www.techinsider.io/x-men-apocaly ... deo-2016-5
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

The reviews have been somewhat mixed. But those I've seen from the general public who got to see advance screenings have been mostly positive. I'll be seeing it Thursday so I'll share my Nighty-centric feelings then.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

You're seeing it early? Lucky!
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Opening in Australia on the 19th. No idea why we keep getting all these movies earlier than the States. We got Civil War earlier too.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

No spoilers, but give me some hope... lol
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Okay...just got home...and I have to say...I enjoyed it.

Yes, it's not the best movie in the world. Yes it drags in parts, there are parts you want to roll your eyes at, and, for me at least, parts where I had the same thought that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias before it hit the ground. But, overall, it was a good way to spend the better part of two and a half hours...it has a running time of 144 minutes. Of course, as an actual reader I have far more invested in these character than the average critic, but my dad, who is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a comic reader, also enjoyed it.

Now...as for our boy...

The cage fight scene we've seen is way cut down. The threat to our biblical-looking boys is more than just electrified wire. There is some nice, inventive uses of Kurt's physicality. His faith is still there, but we're not bludgeoned over the head with it. And he has his moment to shine in the climatic battle.

And, though you probably already know, there is a post credit scene...
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

My question though.... is Kurt fun? Yes or no will suffice, because i still want to appreciate the jokes/behavior.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Yeah...but he's not constantly quipping like Iron Man or Starlord or anything. His comedy comes mostly from his newness to everything, his reactions to things. Most of the laughs do come from him.

And he has huge, puppydog eyes. I'm not sure if that's Kody or the lenses...there seems to be a lot less white to his eyes this time...but I found them so adorable.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Thanks. I'm so pumped....
Indigo_Lady
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Indigo_Lady »

Great, I'm glad to hear there are some positive things. It would be enjoyable just because it's not centered around Wolverine. Wish I could see it this weekend, but I have to be out of town and I haven't got time.

I wasn't too happy when I first heard that Kurt was going to be a teen in this movie. However, a funny and sweet Nightcrawler will get people interested, especially the female fans.

I am so so glad he doesn't die. Maybe this means he'll be in the next movie (if there is one)... at least I hope he doesn't die. :\ But we asked for no spoilers, so I don't want to know if anyone dies. :secret

Maybe it could even translate into a better situation for him in the comic world.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

We don't get it until the end of the month! Dangit, I can't wait to see it now!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Remember the shot of them wearing their individualised outfits? That's kind of a spoiler on its own...
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Kurt cuteness

...unfortunately it's not actually in the movie...

Hope we get a director's cut.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Garble »

Love it! Definitely an Evo-Kurt vibe with the fish-out-of-water foreign exchange student gag.

The comments in the video make it sound like none of the mall stuff is in the film? Quite a lot of leaked images were there. Might be a ton of deleted scenes?
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

I only recall one, brief snippet at the mall...

The movie is pretty long...I guess they cut all the cute, fun, character development stuff out to get the runtime down.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Which is lame... I am definitely getting whatever Blu Ray package has all the deleted scenes though because this is gold!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

We must demand a Let's Go To The Mall cut.

New info on the mall scene...

"...what it did have that I miss desperately, and it will be on the DVD I'm sure, but it was a moment when Nightcrawler, there was a group of breakdancers in the mall, and Nightcrawler starts breakdancing with the breakdancers."
source
Garble
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Garble »

Nightcrawler breakdancing??

Yes. Please. Now.

This might be the first time I've looked forward to the Bluray release before I've actually seen the film in the theater.
Indigo_Lady
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Indigo_Lady »

Garble wrote:Nightcrawler breakdancing??

Yes. Please. Now.

This might be the first time I've looked forward to the Bluray release before I've actually seen the film in the theater.
I thoroughly agree! :dance Too bad they didn't leave it in the movie, it would have provided some fun and character development.

There is another side story line that I have heard about that apparently doesn't fit at all that they could have dropped to make room. I'm not sure how to use the spoiler thingies so I'll save it until I've actually seen the movie.

Not long to wait now!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

It has been confirmed that there will be no alternate cut of the movie...but the home release may have an option to insert the deleted scenes into the place they were originally intended to be.

source
Garble
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Garble »

I just saw it. :D

I have no idea what the negative reviews are on about. It was great!
Lots of action, high-stakes, and a surprising amount of characterization given the sheer cast size.

Spoiler below (hint, you change the text color to either #3267A7 or #2D598D depending on which color happened before yours. #3267A7 is the lighter one, #2D598D is the darker one.

Nightcrawler wasn't in it as much as I'd hope, but then I don't think a whole move about him would satisfy me. They definitely did the whole can't-teleport-through-electricity thing. But I guess they needed some limitations since he's able to teleport waaaay better than comic-kurt. I really did think they'd address his heritage at least a little. Even Beast should have commented that Mystique showed up with a kid young enough to be her son, the same color as her, and looking an awful lot like the teleporter she ran off with 20 years ago. He was still fun, but also did the prayer thing, which I guess they had to do for consistency.

I guess we're supposed to assume Apocalypse's betrayers built that pyramid specifically to collapse in on the transference ritual. Yes he was a little weird looking, but I honestly thought they did the best they could sans CGI monster, and I always prefer make-up and practical effects wherever possible. His powers were kind of ill-defined, but then they are in the comics too. The same is true of his motives and his followers.

Hopefully when Jean healed Logan's mind she included "And when I get older, do NOT get all creepy and possessive of me. I can't emphasize that enough!" This was a much better use of the Phoenix than X-Men 3. And I love that she got to shit on that movie via the Star Wars debate.

Scott got to shine better than in the other movies. I like that he and Jean can connect through being dangerous to those around them. It makes sense. Shame about Alex (who has to be at least 40, right?). But at least he went out on a heroic note. (Or did he? He stopped Cerebro a little late, and it wasn't clear how he blew up the mansion by mistake. Was it the Blackbird that he hit?)
Last edited by Garble on Sat May 28, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Agree on many points Garble. I'll post a link to my full review here as soon as it is online. My biggest paragraph is on Nightcrawler, of course.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »