AoA Kurt may be back... AGAIN!

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

AoA Kurt may be back... AGAIN!

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So if anyone is keeping up, Marvel is going at it again with an event to end all events.

And this time I think I believe them. Especially because Hickman appears to be steering the craft here.

Seems like Marvel is having another event called Secret Wars but from what we know... it's not the same event redone 'nor is it a sequel event.
The Basics: The Secret Wars series is 12 issues, written by Jonathan Hickman and drawn by Esad Ribic. Marvel Comics President of Publishing Dan Buckley says, "every story in every book is leading into Secret Wars." The story has been teased as linking all of the time-travel/alternate reality stories that have been in Marvel Comics over the past several years.
We know for sure this has been a game-plan for at least 5 years, definitely over the last two.

How does this figure into AoA Nightcrawler, you ask? Well they have continually listed off previous events as solicits, seems like these worlds/events/timelines are being revisited. Planet Hulk? Civil War? Rumors are SHADOWLAND and Big Time are expected to show up soon (Daredevil and Spider-Man events respectively).

Well why don't we just take a sneaky-peek at today's big announcement?

That's right, AoA is back, despite being obliterated in that X-Treme X-Men crossover event. (Spoiler?) Apparently, it is going to be another entire event all over again.

Whether it lasts for more than 1-4 issues has yet to be determined but ... I can safely assure you that it's no mistake when Marvel puts specific characters (such as NIGHTCRAWLER!) on covers during this event. Brevoort has promised in his personal blog that these promos are very controlled and specific, they do not put out more information than necessary but they have, inside them, all the proper information you need to know about who are the players in the events and what events are worth paying attention to.

I think it's a bit like the Batman Eternal teasers from last Thanksgiving...

Let's hope this event pans out and we get even more Nightcrawler than we could ever bargain for.

... Also connected to this: It's officially here. Maybe.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Re: AoA Kurt may be back... AGAIN!

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

So, this is really exciting. I'm surprised this is the first I'm hearing about this massive event. Here are my thoughts:

1. With all these large events happening within the Marvel Universe over the past few years, I've gotten used to the idea of a concept like this. However, stuff like this really cuts into my comics budget and I would hate to cherry pick what part of the story to read into. I could miss some vital supporting information.

2. I go into this fearful, because big events in the past six years led to the demise of Nightcrawler, Kid Nightcrawler, and AoA Nightcrawler. So forgive me for having my reservations going forward. This has a high probability of seriously flipping the entire Marvel Universe on its edge, so I'd be lying if I said there isn't so tension.

3. That being said: HOW COOL DOES THIS LOOK! Secret Wars was the first big crossover event in the Marvel Universe, so trying to top it is a big undertaking. The article on Secret Wars states: "Brevoort has said this is “the biggest thing” Marvel’s ever done. Not to toot Marvel’s horn, but they’ve done some big things before – Chris Claremont and Jim Lee’s X-Men #1 selling over a million copies, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby kickstarting a new age with Fantastic Four #1, the original Secret Wars already did 12 monthly issues in 12 months". It's exciting.

4. The Tie-ins. Apparently, there are going to be a ton of supplemental series. Kind of like what the Original Sin event did, but on a more massive scale. Ultimate and AoA have been touched on, but this is the big one for me: http://www.comicvine.com/articles/years ... 00-150095/ This cover art looks great, but likely has nothing to do with the story. But hey, you never know...

5. Speaking of AoA, I'm curious about how they are going to bring back yet another Nightcrawler for this. Amazing X-Men did a wonderful job bringing Nightcrawler back, imho. However, I feel bringing back Darkholme would feel forced.
6. So, going :offtopic slightly and with AXIS SPOILERS, in the series thus far, we see chaos has turned many heroes darker and many villains lighter. Previews for later issues, as well as Deadpool #36, have show Nightcrawler much more vindictive and tactless. I am not sure how long this will last, but generally this is characteristic of Kurt Darkholme. I've been wanting to see the dynamic of the two versions of the character interacting, but not if they both are acting the same. Takes the fun out of it. We will see.

7. Lastly, my main question for this event is whether or not alternate unverses will even be a thing now. If it's all getting smashed together, is there still a point to try and keep them seperate? I don't know, but the possibilities are now swimming around in my head and I'm looking forward to seeing how things play out (even though I am also nervous).
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Previews for later issues, as well as Deadpool #36, have show Nightcrawler much more vindictive and tactless. I am not sure how long this will last, but generally this is characteristic of Kurt Darkholme.
I already wrote that off quite easily.

His best friend risked everything to bring him back to the world of the living and then died on him less than a month later. And didn't tell him what was wrong. Also, Charles is dead. Also, Charles bumped uglies with Mystique and Charles Jr. from BATTLE OF THE ATOM is their son. Also, ick.

So Kurt's probably a little hurt, confused, angry... and I have reason to believe at some point he's going to call who he considers a "team" into question... and the longer we go without a Supernatural book like every other major publisher has, the more I'm feeling like he's going to stray from the X-Men and onto a new team like he did during Excalibur years. A new group with new intentions and less "we're mutants, sad face, don't be racist."

Though bringing over the Ultimate versions of mutants, who have had a much harder and more violent go of it than even canon mutants, will bring an interesting twist. I wonder if OUR Kurt will become the unofficial leader of THAT ragtag group. Or at least a major player?
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Is it wrong that I still want to see him on a team with the core X-Men for a while longer? I love the dynamic with old friends, new enemies, and nostalgia. I feel there are so many more facets to explore before Kurt goes off the deep end, even though I think it's too late for that now. I like fun, lighthearted Kurt and would hate to see that go so quickly after getting him back. I know Nightcrawler isn't anywhere near the degree of AOA Kurt's vicious nature, but there's alot of built up emotion. Maybe he could be a moral compass for a more gritty team. I do not think he should be leading a team any time soon, even though that would give him the spotlight he deserves. btw, I know this post is all over the place, but I'm just spitballing here. All I know is, if AoA Kurt is going to be a thing again, I want there to be a very distinct difference between the dopplegangers.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Well Wagner was very concerned about the lives of the humans who did not volunteer to become Wendigo. So there's that, I guess. Feel like Darkholme would've been all about splitting some skulls.

Also:
More is added to the Secret Wars titles

90's era X-Men TV series? WHA?
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Scott was telling me about this, and he's excited because Secret Wars was how he got his start really reading comics back in the day.

I'm more skeptical about their "end all, be all" crossover events. I think Scott is hoping this will be Marvel's Crisis and will get rid of alternate universes, although, yes, sometimes those alternate universes came out pretty cool.

Guess time will tell.