What do you want to see in Nicrawler's current book

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
HardCider
Lubber
Lubber

What do you want to see in Nicrawler's current book

Post by HardCider »

Now that the first story has been rapped up, what did you think and what kind of stuff do you want to see?
I loved it, it started a little slow but picked up and finished strong. The first story also had a lot of thins that I like and want to see more of as in his circus friends are nice and some more sword play never hurts.
I hope he can go have some adventures alone and build a rouges gallery of his own. No offense to Claremont but I would like to see Aaron take over at some point and if Deodato drew a story or 2 that would not make me sad.
So what do you guys want to see? Do you want the same stuff as me?
Moonrider
Lubber
Lubber

Re: What do you want to see in Nicrawler's current book

Post by Moonrider »

Hmmmm. I'd like to see more action in that fuzzy elf. More sword fighting, more amazing tricks. ALOT of funny scenes. And maybe some family moments where his "family" dosn't try killing him. And also add his friends in, friends like Colossus, Magik, Storm, Wolverine, Rogue, Pixie, Firestar (she needs more X-men apperances), Beast, spider-man, Daredevil (I'm not sure if Kurt knows Matt well). Finally a new love interest would be great, he really needs sne who won't break his heart suddenly.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

More of what I caught in Bendis' single issue of "Uncanny X-Men #25." That one issue alone, and those few panels he showed up in, felt more in tune with his character than the whole 6-ish issues Claremont has pumped out since his return.

I would say Aaron was good, but let's share the Elf-y love. I want to see a female writer take his character on, or possibly Charles Soule. But in all honesty, I think Gail Simone could do a tremendous job & I bet a Allred team-up for art would be awesome on that book.

Just saying.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Sundown
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Sundown »

As supporting? Anyone who doesn't constitute kicking a dead horse, ignoring major continuity or lumping him further into irrelevancy like focusing the first arc on Amanda and Margali did. I think Claremont is really going to have to work to recover the lost momentum from that arc. From the people I've talked to, most picked up the book wanting to see real Nightcrawler development, his reaction to things like Schism and AvX, some rekindled or reworked friendships and some clear purpose for him going forward. Instead, the first arc had him ignoring the past 17 years of development as well as his friends and everything that's happened and hunting down Amanda. Hello, he broke up with her almost 20 years ago and that for very good reason(s). Trying to establish her as his "one true love" is like saying Madelyne Pryor is Cyclops' one true love. Gimme a break!

Anyway, I hope the first arc doesn't doom the series. I know issue #5 was a vast improvement, so I hope CC continues along that line and builds it.

I like Rachel being used as supporting in the last issue. It played well into their Excalibur history. I would like to see some interaction with Kitty and Rogue, but I think they're both off limits. It would be good to see the Wolverine friendship touched on, even if it's more of Kurt giving him the cold shoulder like he did in #3. Explanation in story would be good, though. I wouldn't mind seeing Bobby or PIotr showing up on occasion either. Really, I'd like his solo to be a book where any of his friends might show up in a given issue.

As far as story, premise and development. GIVE HIM A SPINE. Stop having him as the guy who just naively takes whatever people throw at him, trusting them and forgiving them no matter how many times they've betrayed him. Give him his own opinions and show him backing them up. Going toe to toe with Storm over a difference of opinion was good. Blindly trusting Amanda after her history with him was bad. You know, write him to make sense.

If he's still hitting the world with jokes after all that's happened, than it starts looking more like immaturity and denial rather than a glass half full frame of mind. I like how early Excal managed to balance fun swashbuckling with responsibility and depth of character. I'd like to see that again.

I do like the mentor/ambassador role that CC seems to be trying to set up as of the last issue. I hope he develops that one more going forward.

Also, no tokenism. He's more than the flirt or the guy with jokes and charm. Give him depth.
HardCider
Lubber
Lubber

Post by HardCider »

I would like to see them get rid of Rico. I get it Nightcrawler is a freak so he needs to mentor a freak, well A. that is lame to begin with why should he have to mentor a freak?, and B. Rico takes the concept to an obsurd degree. And finally that brings me to C. If you wanted to do this kind of thing there are already characters available that fit that freak bill just waiting to be developed, why make a new guy especially one as lame as Rico?
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I'm with HardCider. I get maybe making a non-white character for diversity's sake on a predominantly white (heavy WASP) book... but there's gotta be someone else out there.

I found RICO to be a pain in the butt to read. It's like watching Wesley Crusher in scorpion form. Better yet, it's like Carl Grimes. Just, STOP TOUCHING THAT! GO BACK IN THE HOUSE! Jeez-us!

That said, I've missed the last issue of this series. I don't remember if I obtained it or not, but I stopped paying for it awhile ago. Might read it to see if the new assistant-writer has improved the dialogue any.

(Can only hope).
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

You know, the fact that Nightcrawler took a role as a mentor in the school, regardless of the student, is a step in the right direction. Yes, they went a bit over the top on Rico, but having Kurt sympathize with someone different amongst the different is good. Shows growth into a more tenured X-Man, rather than a back-burner role he'd been taking. Now, the real character growth will happen/start in issue #7 (coming out next week) which is in response to the Death of Wolverine. I think this next issue may be something wonderful.

Also, I thought I'd make a point that they're doing short story arcs. I know it is because of the Limited nature of the book, but it is refreshing to just read a story and be happy that it is done, rather than draw it out for five or six issues.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

You know what could've been nice? A new outfit. Maybe there's still time for that, but everyone else is caught up to current fashion trends... Kurt should probably get there.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I am so in love with his outfit. I'm probably in the minority here, but I like the retro look. Granted, the swashbuckler look suits him well. Given the right outfit, I'd be okay... but seeing a character go back to their roots is a beautiful thing.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
HardCider
Lubber
Lubber

Post by HardCider »

Bamfing_Bob wrote:I am so in love with his outfit. I'm probably in the minority here, but I like the retro look. Granted, the swashbuckler look suits him well. Given the right outfit, I'd be okay... but seeing a character go back to their roots is a beautiful thing.
I agree with you I love his outfit and I see no reason to change it, but I am not opposed to something new if done well.

And now for something that has nothing to do with what Nightcrawler has on. I want to see some more actual crime fighting and or mystery solving. I want stories that are more than just static.
How many villains does Nightcrawler have? Does he need more?
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Sounds like you really enjoyed Darick Robertson's 2004 Nightcrawler solo book! It centered around paranormal crime and mysterious happenings. It was a very unique take on the character, in that it's not really his shtick. He's good at sleuthing :) I think Nightcrawler should see some action as well, just more along the lines of Spider-Man than Batman. A villain raising Hell instead of a conspiracy or something.

As far as villains are concerned, Nightcrawler didn't really have any solo villains aside from Azazel, Mystique, and Mephisto (confirmation?). His foes are those of the X-Men. There have been one shots of villains like the Ringmaster in Marvel Team-Up #89. Maybe that's why Claremont created Trimega in the first arc... to give him a villain. And even so, the whole Jean Grey School fought along with Nightcrawler! I think it would be nice for Nightcrawler to have a real Archenemy outside of his Hellish family tree.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I completely agree Bob & Hardcider, which is why I constantly bother Tom Brevoort and others at Marvel about starting an Avengers/S.H.I.E.L.D. supernatural team featuring Kurt as a key figure in the group.

Crime solving, gumshoeing, sword fighting... it can all work hand-in-hand but you have to embrace the multigenre aspect. The space stuff gets old for me after awhile, I want to see Kurt a little more "grounded" (pun intended).

And I love his costume too, but I think there's a way to make it look contemporary and not foolishly modern.

I will say the design of Darkholme's costume (featured just to the left of these words on your screen) was also a great design and something like that should be taken into consideration.