Kurt & Amanda rekindling an old flame

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
sungila
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Kurt & Amanda rekindling an old flame

Post by sungila »

By the looks of it Amanda and Kurt are going to be reunited soon. While things went wrong, really wrong when she became 'Daytripper' - that wasn't CC's mistake. Claremont's Amanda was a whole different person and her relationship with Kurt was a BIG part of what defined our man.

I'm by no means indifferent to an Amanda/Kurt romantic adventure if CC's the guy doing the writing - it could be amazing.

Let's just say there never was a Daytripper..give that the namesake one way one ticket yea...yea into oblivion.
But how about a Jimaine Szardos - how about this: Since CC says Kurt's coming back, in part with his faith proven and strong...since CC also says Kurt's going to have a moment of reckoning in which he faces the question "I've died once, will I have to keep doing this until I get it right?"...how about this

The 'good' Kurt and Amanda relationship ended in UXM 204 - and after that comic it was never the same...the rift was caused by Amanda being shunned by Kurt who had become overwhelmed by personal struggles: his conflict of faith after the Beyonder escapade...his feelings of displacement and failure as temporary leader of the x-men, new tormenting questions raised about his past by Mystique, not to mention getting his ass-kicked repeatedly through a sequence of brash mistakes made in battle (all of this decent in his darkest despair culminates in his near suicidal leap into Riptide and a 'well-earned' coma - and the fall rises to redemption with the birth of a Exaclibur and Kurt as it's swashbuckling bright star)!

So CC now sets the stage for something awesome! Maybe? We'll see...
His faith new and strong. His 'family' still not realized - not the X-Men, not his blood-line...none of it...
So what's there to invest that faith in?
What's there to answer the question of purpose?

Love. Love that's an island unto itself...the motivator to buckle swashes...to plunge into the impossible odds of the post-schism, post AvX, Wolvie's gonna die X-Universe!

I believe that this Amanda/Kurt relationship could be an incredible way to 'complete' some of the unfinished stuff CC left hanging way back then...it'd make for a wide arc...but a satisfying one. Plus, there's Magik...the Soulsword...and I love all that...even the Pixie stuff. Bringing in Amanda could be amazing! Kurt kicks ass when he's fighting demons, sword in hand...(it's way better than when he's 'saving souls' in the vestments - same deal, but way better.

Oh man... when UXM 204 came out it broke my heart...it just, well, it was painful after all Kurt had been through to see him fall so hard...and i could feel that the worst was yet to come...(but this scene juxtaposes perfectly with a scene from Excalibur in which Kurt confronts Brian Braddock who is drunk tormented and rapt in despair - Kurt tosses him in the water - tells him to be a man, to take hold of life and love - to me this was one of the best ingenious full circles of CC's writing)

Thoughts? The jury's still out. It seems like a lot of folks find Amanda a drain on Kurt...and have been unhappy about seeing her previewed as part of CC's Nightcrawler.

But to me... it's potentially soooo right! Potentially soooo perfect!

The worst would be to pretend that Kurt doesn't have a history...doesn't have bonds and business that stretch beyond those he's got with the X-Men. There are some characters in the X-books who belong 'just' in those books...others that need X as a cornerstone for the greater constructs of their stories. Remy, Illyana, Wolvie, Psylocke (she desreves more than she's gotten), Storm (when CC wrote her) and especially Kurt are all examples of X-Men who are invested in personal sagas and stories that can't be contained within the serialized super-opera of X.

Amanda and Kurt is one of those pathways the winds away from the X-Men and into otherworlds, other emotional landscapes and into the individual soul of my favorite hero...not just favorite X-Men...favorite hero.
Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

Re: Kurt & Amanda rekindling an old flame

Post by Freak »

I always liked them together and wouldn't mind. Especially since the one pairing I always like dmost, with Scarlet Witch, isn't going to happen any time soon.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I'm more worried about Wagner talking to Meggan and the Captain Britains, honestly. I'm mildly concerned with how she is doing after the way Darkholme mistreated her. Poor thing... she didn't deserve that. It was sad/funny to see her get such an un-Wagner response from AoA Kurt.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
sungila
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by sungila »

Freak wrote: always liked them together and wouldn't mind. Especially since the one pairing I always like dmost, with Scarlet Witch, isn't going to happen any time soon.
I can't even imagine! They had a brief encounter in E616 back in Excalibur but that was croasstime and they talked in German to one another in a sort of (oddly enough) brotherly sisterly way. What is it about Kurt and that?

Anyway it'd be tough given the pressure CC is under to bring in Nocturne (as much as I'd love that) right now.
But if he gets the green light and real chance to flesh out this title...the possibilities are limitless. I keep hoping somebody with ambition will write a good fanfic about Nocturne, Kurt and Wanda in an E-616 world...
Ult_Sm86 wrote:I'm more worried about Wagner talking to Meggan and the Captain Britains, honestly. I'm mildly concerned with how she is doing after the way Darkholme mistreated her. Poor thing... she didn't deserve that. It was sad/funny to see her get such an un-Wagner response from AoA Kurt.
What? When, where did this happen?
If it's in UX-Force...don't tell me (i got those trades on order and plan on reading them as soon as they come)
The whole Darkholme AoA Kurt was given fresh life for me by Sundowhn...who is also the keeper of a great ongoing 'Nightcrawler Progression' blog http://nightcrawlerprogression.blogspot.com/
I think she's brilliant!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I'm not adverse to Kurt and Amanda reuniting, provided the relationship remains one between Kurt and a friend he knows he cannot trust. I actually would think less of Kurt if he got back together with Amanda romantically, not just because of the whole incest-like nature of that relationship, but because every time she's shown up in his life, she's used him, manipulated him, and lied to him. Not just little white lies, but big, flaming whoppers like neglecting to tell Kurt she secretly stashed the Soulsword in him- making him a target for demonic attack. Whoppers like lying about her very identity, revealing herself only after Kurt had already been through so much of an ordeal, he was likely too vulnerable to dump her on the spot like she deserved. In a way, Kurt was right. She did use witchcraft to make him fall in love with her, since- whatever he may have felt about her- it's unlikely that any romance would have gone that far if he knew who she was all along. (In fact, that's probably exactly why Jimaine posed as a New York flight attendant in the first place.) I also don't think Amanda trusts Kurt anywhere near enough- as often as she acts like he's incapable of handling the truth, which shows she badly underestimates and undervalues him.

Now I I liked Amanda well enough before it was decided that she and Jimaine were one and the same. The character's been completely ruined for me ever since, and the only way to fix that is to keep some healthy, strictly platonic distance between her and Nightcrawler. I think that's the best way Nightcrawler can forgive her and for readers to forget the mess that was made of their relationship.
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

I'm with Angelique. I do not want to see those two as a romantic pair again. It's too many kinds of wrong. And why go back to that well again anyway? The man's just coming back from the dead. He's got enough to address without dredging up that old baggage. He should be allowed to start something new.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I wonder if there's any chance of a relationship with Kitty?

I mean honestly, the Bobby/Kitty thing fell through 'cause she left for Cyclops' team (not a very well explored break-up, if you ask me) and I've always found it bothersome that Kurt goes these super busty women who seem sorta vapid instead of intellectually demanding women who won't roll-over. Someone who can be amazed by his smile but know when they're getting steamed over and turn it back. I mean a guy likes what a guy likes, but I feel like, as someone who is blue, fuzzy, devilish looking, and smells like egg farts, he would look for a soul-mate rather than just a hotty-hot-hot.
And Kitty is a well developed woman, very strong, and confident while also being super intelligent... but she's not like... Cerise's double D's or Wanda's cleavage that is so massive it's just distracting enough to work in a quick mutant/magic spell to make things unfortunate happen to you.

It also seems like characters who normally are regular women suddenly develop larger breasts when around him. It's as if the artists want him to be attracted to only constantly, sexually appeasing women and as such turn all women into that when they are in a 30 foot radius of Kurt.

Up until Kurt's death, insofar as relationships are concerned, it seemed every woman he touched went from slender, happy, visually appeasing to a busty dame with a lot of warpaint. (see the Kurt "on-going" series with that Nurse he was knocking boots with... sorta)
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Sundown
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Sundown »

I'm definitely with Angelique on this one. The only way I see of making either of them more sympathetic when written opposite one another is to keep it platonic and actually address all that's happened. I even have a hard time liking him when he's written alongside her. It's like he loses his complexity and his inner strength and just becomes her playful puppy, letting her walk all over him.