Aaron leaves Amazing X - Kyle & Yost to take over

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
sungila
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Aaron leaves Amazing X - Kyle & Yost to take over

Post by sungila »

Jason Aaron (who brought Nightcrawler back and never really let him go) is leaving X titles with Craig Kyle and Chris Yost taking over Amazing X-Men. Those were the guys that wrote Kurt's death... call me superstitious... but I have a bad feeling about this...or is it just a full circle sort of deal?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=51377

Maybe now is a good time to talk about what Jason Aaron has done for X-books...what will his legacy (especially in regards to our man Kurt) be?

What do you think?
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Re: Aaron leaves Amazing X - Kyle & Yost to take over

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I know a lot of people who are upset about this...

I hear a lot of chatter from Twitter friends who are actually quite pleased.

I'm in the middle. I think the Wolverine side of the X-teams need a change (though if you ask me the two sides should reconcile by now this time next year but that's me) and Jason Aaron needs to move on to bigger and better things. I think he's set up a lot, but he keeps making building blocks and not actually continuing the construction of his stories.

I have a lot of respect for Yost...

except for the fact that Matt Fraction told me personally (to my face, at a signing in Midtown) that Yost was directly responsible for "pulling the trigger" on Kurt.

So maybe it's a love/hate thing with Yost? But Craig Kyle, from what I hear, is pretty great.

So we'll have to see. I believe it was Craig Kyle who did Generation Hope? I wasn't a fan of that -- but it could've been the art. I think I liked what the series wanted to do, but I did not have fun reading it.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:I believe it was Craig Kyle who did Generation Hope?
That was Kieron Gillen. Kyle and Yost did New X-Men and X-Force. They've racked up quite the body count so far. That's the one thing that makes me nervous.

When he wasn't veering too far into the absurd, I found Aaron's work quite enjoyable. His X-work didn't take itself too seriously, and I've liked his Kurt so far. I shall miss that.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I have read X-FORCE and I don't think I've read any of NEW X-MEN.
But my friends over twitter were talking about the Yost/Kyle body count and making jokes about it being higher than Cassandra Nova's. That is unsettling to me as well.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Wahnsinn »

Yeah, they blew up a busload of kids--literally, 42 kids on a bus--at the beginning of their New X-Men run. An assortment of other students got killed as the story progressed. They don't play.
Sundown
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Sundown »

I liked what Aaron did for Amazing, though I agree that side of Schism needs a strong book/team with a clear premise. Amazing was fun under Aaron, and I liked his characterizations.

However, I can't say I'm jumping for joy at the Kyost news. We'll see what happens as it goes, but I don't particularly care for how they've treated some of the characters in the past. No, it doesn't help that Yost pulled the trigger on Nightcrawler, either, though it was likely editorial mandate.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

They’re all slaves to editorial mandate, and I kind of recall discussion about it at the time. Chris Yost used to be an active member at Nightscrawlers back when he was a writer on the X-Men Evolution cartoon and he has a heck of a soft spot for Kurt.

In fact, there’s a bit of his feelings at the time.
"This one hurt," Yost writes. "It was an honor, for sure, but a heavy responsibility at the same time. And we took it seriously."
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

It's always seemed to me that Fraction was just trying to pass the buck, likely over flack he took for that disaster of a funeral he wrote. "Don't blame me if the funeral sucked. Blame Chris Yost for killing off Nightcrawler." It also appears that he's forgotten who suggested killing off Nightcrawler. Yost told me it wasn't his idea, but he wouldn't name names. My gut says it came from editorial, perhaps even Tom Brevoort.

It doesn't matter now. What I do know is that Yost and Kyle had been assigned the "dark" and "edgy" books of the too-recent past. However, Yost told me he enjoys writing fun, all ages appropriate stuff that strikes a good balance between action, down time, and comic relief, and I see that in the work he's done for Marvel Animation, which is IMO infinitely better than what he and Craig Kyle did on New X-Men and especially X-Force. Furthermore, the fact that Yost is a big Nightcrawler fan only helps.

That Yost and Kyle are being put on a book that has an established fun and adventurous tone highlighting a character they like has me excited.
Sundown
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Sundown »

Well, that makes me feel somewhat better.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Yost told me he enjoys writing fun, all ages appropriate stuff that strikes a good balance between action, down time, and comic relief, and I see that in the work he's done for Marvel Animation, which is IMO infinitely better than what he and Craig Kyle did on New X-Men and especially X-Force.
He sure does enjoy that stuff! He's lead story writer for the Ultimate Spider-Man TV series!
FuzzyBlueElf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by FuzzyBlueElf »

I did overreact to this initially on other sites but honestly? These guys could do really well they did Wolverine and the X-men my personal favorite of the X-men cartoons, and they created what I consider the best animated counterpart to Nightcrawler who got down everything that Cockrum wants out of Nightcrawler so I think these guys could do really well.

Plus this means we get a book with Colossus, Storm, Wolverine and Nightcrawler the original Giant sized crew :shocked I mean yeah sure a few missing but those guys are just too good to pass up. Plus I have my other favorites Beast, Firestar, Iceman and Northstar hopefully Rachel plays a part too and I hope that these guys fix Archangel if they do that I think I'm gonna be like this every issue :love
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Plus this means we get a book with Colossus, Storm, Wolverine and Nightcrawler the original Giant sized crew :shocked I mean yeah sure a few missing but those guys are just too good to pass up.
Wait, what? Where is this information coming from? They're going to put Colossus in Amazing X-Men?
FuzzyBlueElf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by FuzzyBlueElf »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:
Plus this means we get a book with Colossus, Storm, Wolverine and Nightcrawler the original Giant sized crew :shocked I mean yeah sure a few missing but those guys are just too good to pass up.
Wait, what? Where is this information coming from? They're going to put Colossus in Amazing X-Men?
http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/3/10 ... zing_x-men

Makes sense to me the poor guy is on no current books since that whole X-Force relaunch.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Is that a bunch of Wendingoes?
FuzzyBlueElf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by FuzzyBlueElf »

Their first issue was boring.

I mean a Wolverine centric story, REALLY? If you wanted Alpha Flight to guest appear you could gee I don't know have sent Northstar to Canada and have something attack him causing the X-Men to go to Canada?

It was literally just a filler issue.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

What filler issue did you read? I read Amazing X-Men featuring Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends. It was ... clever. But Bobby was acting more like AllNew Bobby, Peter was acting more like Ock. But to be fair, Angelica was perfectly in character. ... albeit still a filler issue, nonetheless. And it was by Immonen, which was a surprise to me.

Are you talking about the ANNUAL? I didn't know that came out yesterday... >_> Will have to go pick it up...
FuzzyBlueElf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by FuzzyBlueElf »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:What filler issue did you read? I read Amazing X-Men featuring Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends. It was ... clever. But Bobby was acting more like AllNew Bobby, Peter was acting more like Ock. But to be fair, Angelica was perfectly in character. ... albeit still a filler issue, nonetheless. And it was by Immonen, which was a surprise to me.

Are you talking about the ANNUAL? I didn't know that came out yesterday... >_> Will have to go pick it up...
No, I found the Amazing Spider-man issue fun.

I'm talking about Issue 8 which kinda sucked like Colossus shows up and you'd think there would be some more reaction to a guy who has been a fugitive returning to the school but no there's none.

The Annual was about Storm and that was a pretty good issue.

I also (Of course) HATED the Lack of Nightcrawler in these stories. Also I swear to God it's like one writer will develop Bobby then the next writer is like NOPE HE'S GONNA ACT LIKE A TEENAGER AGAIN.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

I guess Bobby suffers from cyclonic brain freeze...only acting as an adult when it's fully thawed.
FuzzyBlueElf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by FuzzyBlueElf »

Nandireya wrote:I guess Bobby suffers from cyclonic brain freeze...only acting as an adult when it's fully thawed.
:LOL that made me chuckle.

It's actually a very good explanation I applaud you for that. :D
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Read it. LOVED IT. Bobby acting immaturely but not necessarily irresponsibly as he was in Immonen's issue. Then there's the taking great character of characterizations like Rachel, Storm, Beast... I love it. Angelica was even funny in the one panel. I loved the issue, honestly. I thought the way it ended was a great cliff-hanger and I'm stoked to see where it goes.

I'm not looking too deeply into Kurt writing off being dead to Colossus because he's clearly suffering about it in Nightcrawler, and you can only make a character bemoan the same thing in so many comics and with anti-Nightcrawler fans's chief complaints being that he lamented frequently and stopped being fun for almost a decade, I'm sure they're trying to avoid that.

One thing irked me... Colossus. Like you said FBE, he's back. Logan's okay with that? Storm? I mean jeeh-zus he basically helped Scott in almost annihilating the world, almost killed Spider-Man among others, and was actually part of a kill squad for awhile (a sub-team of X-Force).

HOW IS NONE OF THIS ADDRESSED?! Thankfully it's a part one of six story so I'm hoping it comes back up. Or is being used to set up some cool deaths. *cough*

I will say if Kyle & Yost are building to a bloodbath they already started well. Looks like the end is nigh for the existing members of Alpha Flight.

While I enjoyed the spooky ending, anyone else felt like the opening was a bit... unexpected?

MRW I read the first two pages: Image

Haven't read the annual yet! #NoSpoilers
FuzzyBlueElf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by FuzzyBlueElf »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:Read it. LOVED IT. Bobby acting immaturely but not necessarily irresponsibly as he was in Immonen's issue. Then there's the taking great character of characterizations like Rachel, Storm, Beast... I love it. Angelica was even funny in the one panel. I loved the issue, honestly. I thought the way it ended was a great cliff-hanger and I'm stoked to see where it goes.

I'm not looking too deeply into Kurt writing off being dead to Colossus because he's clearly suffering about it in Nightcrawler, and you can only make a character bemoan the same thing in so many comics and with anti-Nightcrawler fans's chief complaints being that he lamented frequently and stopped being fun for almost a decade, I'm sure they're trying to avoid that.

One thing irked me... Colossus. Like you said FBE, he's back. Logan's okay with that? Storm? I mean jeeh-zus he basically helped Scott in almost annihilating the world, almost killed Spider-Man among others, and was actually part of a kill squad for awhile (a sub-team of X-Force).

HOW IS NONE OF THIS ADDRESSED?! Thankfully it's a part one of six story so I'm hoping it comes back up. Or is being used to set up some cool deaths. *cough*

I will say if Kyle & Yost are building to a bloodbath they already started well. Looks like the end is nigh for the existing members of Alpha Flight.

While I enjoyed the spooky ending, anyone else felt like the opening was a bit... unexpected?

MRW I read the first two pages: Image

Haven't read the annual yet! #NoSpoilers
It seemed more of a stab at Iceman as a character using Storm to say "How did Charles let you be an X-man?"

I'm glad you enjoyed it but I'm seriously considering dropping this book if all it is, is simply another Wolverine solo with guest appearances from the X-men.

The Opening was atrocious imo "Look how dark and edgy were are!!!1!1!" Pretty sure they'll kill off all of Alpha Flight because that's the only thing Kyle and Yost seem to be capable of when writing the X-men, pure shock value for shock value.

I don't recall them doing anything with Beast or Rachel other than for Rachel making her someone for Storm to have a go at, as well as making Storm behave like Emma Frost but being concerned for Wolverine "Becuz without the heeling faktur hes vulnerablez!!!"

So yeah have fun KyYost writing your new Wolverine solo guest starring the X-men and killing off Alpha Flight and going XTREMELY HARDCORE DARK AND GRITTYYYYY you predictable hacks.

Of course KyYost can feel free to prove me wrong.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I don't recall them doing anything with Beast or Rachel other than for Rachel making her someone for Storm to have a go at, as well as making Storm behave like Emma Frost but being concerned for Wolverine "Becuz without the heeling faktur hes vulnerablez!!!"
This interaction is very much in character if you are following Brian Wood's "X-Men" which is probably why it stood out to me.

As for dark & gritty making them predictable hacks?

I like to think not knowing if people are going to make it out alive is the opposite of predictable hackery and right now the only hackneyed writing and stereotypically predictable story Kurt appears in (with the new writer change) is his solo title.

And I regret to inform... as of last issue I dropped the book. I love Kurt and I love everything about the elf, but I have no money to be giving to a shit title and old writer who should've given in years ago and stuck to his guns with what he knows best (X-Men Forever).
I know Paty's upset Claremont got pulled but that was ages ago and to be completely Frank (Castle), I'd prefer an unpredictable, unsure Nightcrawler over this stick-up-my-ass, family-first, over-confident Nightcrawler that he's scribbling out.

FINALLY, someone writes a Nightcrawler the way I enjoyed him during the early 2000's Uncanny run (after Austen got booted!) Unsure, surrounded by danger, outmatched, and yet still in complete faith of his friends and confidants around him. (KyOst)

And yeah, another "Wolverine-centric" book is a shame but he dies in 3 months and then we supposedly get a year without him... so let's let the two rekindle their friendship while they can. Kurt and Logan go hand in hand (not like Northstar and his partner/husband mind you), but the two are old buds. And like Finn & Jake, it's always best when they're together.

Just like when Logan's with Kitty, Colossus, Jubilee, or Scott ... or Iron Man... or Spider-Man... or Hulk... or Nick Fury... okay I get it. He's used a lot and has a lot of combo friends. But you know what?

If it's stupid, and it works, it's not stupid.
FuzzyBlueElf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by FuzzyBlueElf »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:
This interaction is very much in character if you are following Brian Wood's "X-Men" which is probably why it stood out to me.

As for dark & gritty making them predictable hacks?

I like to think not knowing if people are going to make it out alive is the opposite of predictable hackery and right now the only hackneyed writing and stereotypically predictable story Kurt appears in (with the new writer change) is his solo title.

And I regret to inform... as of last issue I dropped the book. I love Kurt and I love everything about the elf, but I have no money to be giving to a shit title and old writer who should've given in years ago and stuck to his guns with what he knows best (X-Men Forever).
I know Paty's upset Claremont got pulled but that was ages ago and to be completely Frank (Castle), I'd prefer an unpredictable, unsure Nightcrawler over this stick-up-my-ass, family-first, over-confident Nightcrawler that he's scribbling out.

FINALLY, someone writes a Nightcrawler the way I enjoyed him during the early 2000's Uncanny run (after Austen got booted!) Unsure, surrounded by danger, outmatched, and yet still in complete faith of his friends and confidants around him. (KyOst)

And yeah, another "Wolverine-centric" book is a shame but he dies in 3 months and then we supposedly get a year without him... so let's let the two rekindle their friendship while they can. Kurt and Logan go hand in hand (not like Northstar and his partner/husband mind you), but the two are old buds. And like Finn & Jake, it's always best when they're together.

Just like when Logan's with Kitty, Colossus, Jubilee, or Scott ... or Iron Man... or Spider-Man... or Hulk... or Nick Fury... okay I get it. He's used a lot and has a lot of combo friends. But you know what?

If it's stupid, and it works, it's not stupid.
Setting up a situation where "ANY1 CAN DIE!" Is such a dumb, dumb premise it gives you the impression that those characters are disposable. And that just bores me sooo much fucking Ultimatum all over again.

I'm fine with Logan and Kurt rekindling their relationship but I have not even seen much of that even happening especially given the fact Wolverine was supposed to be a supporting character in Nightcrawler's solo what I do not like is the fact that I specifically avoid Wolverine's titles yet these writers decided to make him the focus of this series like what is it not possible for me to read X-men without the writers being obsessed with Cyclops or Wolverine?

KYost are only good when they're restricted from their dark and gritty shit it proves in the Wolverine and the X-men series because they actually have to use their creativity that's buried under their poor humour.

I really think after the first 6 issues of Amazing X-men the hurrah for Nightcrawler is over, Claremont disappointed me with his crappy return of Amanda a character no one gives a shit about and KYost are disappointing me by relegating Nightcrawler to background.

I'm happy to be proven wrong but I doubt I shall be because either I'm psychic and I know the future or X-men writers are so fucking predictable now it's a joke.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Setting up a situation where "ANY1 CAN DIE!" Is such a dumb, dumb premise it gives you the impression that those characters are disposable. And that just bores me sooo much fucking Ultimatum all over again.
well firstly, while I am the first to drop F-bombs, I wasn't implying your idea of a good story was dumb and I'd appreciate if you didn't do the same to me.

Also -- Ultimatum was actually pretty brilliant... put you gotta sit back and think on it. People hated it 'cause it killed all their favorite characters but all the characters who died were just Ultimate duplicates of their canon counterparts. We'd seen those stories. Wolverine heals, yes we know that. Cyclops is a jerk, we get that already in like 15 titles. Yes, Daredevil is blind but has super-senses... Doctor Strange is magical, yup. We know all of this already. Give us something new.

So... they wiped the board. And since then, the Ultimate series has blossomed. New takes on characters, re-imaginings of some of the best. I'm currently writing a feature on Top 10 Best Re-Adapted Ultimate Villains for SuperiorSpiderTalk.com and I will be following it up with a Best Secondary Characters of Ult. Spider-Man. These ambitious takes on these characters is really exciting and makes for welcome change.

As for "ANY1 CAN DIE!" ... well, I said, "...not knowing if people are going to make it out alive" ... which is, for me, not really the same thing. It doesn't mean that someone HAS to die, it means that the stakes are real. The drama and the danger is real, which is something I long for in comics. I can't stand reading 90's era books where no one talks realistically, no one pays any kind of price for their decisions and--and... man you should really be reading Ultimate Spider-Man to get a full scope on what I'm taking about here.

People die and when they die, it means something. Because it was unexpected. When you don't predict the death of a character, it means more.
I'm fine with Logan and Kurt rekindling their relationship but I have not even seen much of that even happening especially given the fact Wolverine was supposed to be a supporting character in Nightcrawler's solo what I do not like is the fact that I specifically avoid Wolverine's titles yet these writers decided to make him the focus of this series like what is it not possible for me to read X-men without the writers being obsessed with Cyclops or Wolverine?
Well... that's on Claremont, that's not on Kyle/Yost. Maybe they took the initiative 'cause Logan is a great sprocket type character. Sprockets, y'know? Those imaginary tools, devices, what-have-you that people in the future use to get jobs done? Logan's your a-typical Sprocket. Drop him in a story and you can (usually) make it work.
KYost are disappointing me by relegating Nightcrawler to background.
Well, Yost is a professed fan of Nightcralwer despite being the one to propose his death at the X-Camp. (Fraction told me personally this is what happened -- I have the signature to prove it; "BLAME YOST!") KYost are actually not writing a Nightcrawler story, not anymore at least, they're writing X-MEN stories (as the book is called The Amazing X-Men) and as such, Nightcrawler isn't "backgroud" but right now it looks like we're going to be focusing on Wolverine & Northstar ... and Im sorry but he gay X-Man deserves some focus as does the African-American Storm. Kurt, the white (blue?) german is back, we celebrated that, he can peace out while Mystique plots her next move.

Also, at the end of the day -- it's a comic. You don't like it? Don't spend your money on it. Y'know? ;) No one's going to hate you for it... at least no one who isn't crazy.
FuzzyBlueElf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by FuzzyBlueElf »

I'm the one who said it should have been Northstar to be the focus of this issue considering he's a long serving member of Alpha Flight and we actually saw him on the team. Instead he gets relegated to a tiny panel and we have the straight white male who has never really served Alpha Flight for long being the focus.